post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
No SSR, looking for next one;-
Newer Hagerty article about SSR

Interesting comments, not sure I agree.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-hot-collector

If you search the world for happiness, you may find it in the end, for the world is round and will lead you back to your door. ~Robert Brault
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:27 AM
SSR Pit Crew

What's not to agree with.......Values are going up. Most of us hope that trend will continue and I expect it will.
SSR MINION likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:04 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
So they are saying if I'd put mine away and only put a couple thousand miles on it I might be able to sell it for what I paid or a little more.

Miss the miles of smiles? Screw that! I bought it because that's what I wanted to drive, all the time, every damn day. I'm not a collector, I'm a driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	itswhy.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	532651  

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:21 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Born on 12/23/04, adopted 07/06/16, From KY to CA. Once a farm truck, Now a SoCal cruiser.
Garage
Interesting decent read. I think I'll continue to drive mine and not worry about what its worth.
tennesseecozydog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:48 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Quote:
Interesting decent read. I think I'll continue to drive mine and not worry about what its worth
Exactly. Mine won't be going anywhere but down the road with my old butt in the seat. I wanted one when they came out,now I have it,I'm going to drive it. Permegrin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.”
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:26 AM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
Heck, I want the prices to stay down! Once I drive the wheels off of mine, I'll want to go buy another!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:30 AM

My SSR:
'06 Slingshot yellow
I most confess that when I bought mine recently I knew very little of these "wacky" trucks except it made my eyes pop out. I've always have loved the retro style and this silly truck had that and more! Still, it's an affirmation of how special & unique this "retro Yankee wrapped in concept-car spandex” continues to be and the infinite priceless enjoyment it brings.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:02 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
So they are saying if I'd put mine away and only put a couple thousand miles on it I might be able to sell it for what I paid or a little more.

Miss the miles of smiles? Screw that! I bought it because that's what I wanted to drive, all the time, every damn day. I'm not a collector, I'm a driver.
DOUBLE "You like this"
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:12 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Hey, Bob. Too much coffee or not enough? We already read it one time.
CruDawg likes this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:28 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Overall, it's a pretty good article. No doubt values on low mileage trucks are climbing. I've always though the 6 speeds would be worth significantly more than automatics, especially with such low build numbers.

The only obvious flaw in the article was the statement about 5 model years.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:34 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Garage
My dad wanted one but sadly passed away before he could get one. So I bought mine, took his urn and put it on the passenger seat and took him for a ride. To this day when I drive it I know he is looking down on me with a big permagrin. Love my R.

REDRACR
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:36 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2003 "Ilsa" with many mods for strip and track.
I wondered about the "five model years" too. Late '03 to '06 might be closer to three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
Overall, it's a pretty good article. No doubt values on low mileage trucks are climbing. I've always though the 6 speeds would be worth significantly more than automatics, especially with such low build numbers.

The only obvious flaw in the article was the statement about 5 model years.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

My other vehicle is a
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 11:07 AM

My SSR:
05 redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzr View Post
Heck, I want the prices to stay down! Once I drive the wheels off of mine, I'll want to go buy another!
My thoughts exactly.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 11:47 AM
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

My SSR:
FIRST 06 Pacific BLUE ~ First 3SS with VYJ "Chrome" ~ #145 of 532 ~ 21945 ~ Born on 9/9/05
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ssroe
Cool

I sent a reply and stated only a small part of what I think of being an owner.

It seems that the only people that have a negative opinion about the SSR are those that have never driven or or owned one! The writer of an article like this should interview a few owners before writing that "they" think.. I bought my 2006 new, I'm not 68, you do the math. And yes the vast majority of owners are 40 years and older. I and quite a few HUNDRED of other owners LOVE the SSR! We have an internet group that hold rallies across the US & Canada and have since 2003. I hosted one in Savannah last year that had 115 trucks attend from the US & Canada. There have been countless rallies over the years that have had over 100 attend. Yes, Chevy did not make the SSR perfect but those that own one have gotten together and made improvements and shared with all the other owners. These owners are not a "car club" they are a FAMILY OF OWNERS! These Family members drive hundreds and even Thousands of miles for a 3 or 4 day rally to visit other members and show off the "improvements" they have made to there babies. Some mild, some radical. We are FANATICS about the SSR! We can be anywhere in the country and if anyone of us should break down or have a problem, 1 or 2 phone calls, someone will either have the answer to correct the problem or be there to help. If an owner should total his truck 9 times out of 10 he/she will buy another one. God help anyone that should stop one of us and ask about our truck! They better have time to listen to all the GREAT things we have to say about them. All SSR owners have a "permagrin" everytime they get behind the wheel with either the tip up or going topless! SSRFANATIC.COM

Michael & Linda

One of the Blues Brothers
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 12:06 PM
ONE OWNER !!!!

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
Garage
All in all it is a good article, and I agree you have to drive one to understand what they are all about !!!!!!!
My SSR is not for sale but I don't understand the reasoning in hoping the value goes down ???????
Flying Dog and Gr8XLr8r like this.

Jim & Sherrie

James Dean & Misstadoo
"Blessings can be big or small, but be sure to count them all”
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 12:26 PM
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

My SSR:
FIRST 06 Pacific BLUE ~ First 3SS with VYJ "Chrome" ~ #145 of 532 ~ 21945 ~ Born on 9/9/05
Garage
That is because they secretly WANT one but can't afford one and want the price to go down so they can.
Marc NY likes this.

Michael & Linda

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 02:52 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Money, Money, Money. Happiness is priceless.
BlueStreak, Redracr and SSReplay like this.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 04:06 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssroe View Post
That is because they secretly WANT one but can't afford one and want the price to go down so they can.
There were a couple who responded that they would get one if the price went down but they forgot to say it was so they could sell it WHEN the price went up!
Marc NY and Guzzi Guy like this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:52 PM
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

My SSR:
Garage
Cool

I was looking at the 50 worst vehicles ever made and came across this.

https://yeahmotor.com/cars/worst-cars/49/?v=2

Michael & Linda

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 AM

My SSR:
2006 SSR 6 speed FPR Ricochet Silver over Smokin Asphalt 3SS Chrome pkg.
Garage
I'm 70, got my license in 65, then manufacturers made vehicles that looked very different from one another. You grew up as a Chevy guy or a Ford guy or a Mopar guy. I had good friends who were very loyal to their chosen brand and when we got together we drove each other to improve our rides. Today I find that it's difficult to tell a Chevy from a Ford from a Toyota from a Mazda. I love the fact that my "R" is unmistakable and because I've always been a Chevy guy it fits my loyalty. Almost every time I go for a burn I invariably find myself explaining to people what I find special about it. Most don't realize how performance oriented my 2006 stick is. Even my long time friends were shocked when I took them for a ride and power shifted second and third gear rubber. I still enjoy having a vehicle that is unique and I can personalize in a way that you really can't with a current day cookie cutter. It's amazing to me how many folks stop and ask what it is, I think it may be more interesting these days than it was a dozen years ago. Aside from some exotic I don't think there's a vehicle out there that's less seen or more unique. I couldn't car less what it's resale value is, I'm thrilled every time I see it and every time i drive it. IT'S KEEPING ME YOUNG.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 AM
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 red, custom wheels, custom flame paint, flowmaster exhaust
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8XLr8r View Post
I'm 70, got my license in 65, then manufacturers made vehicles that looked very different from one another. You grew up as a Chevy guy or a Ford guy or a Mopar guy. I had good friends who were very loyal to their chosen brand and when we got together we drove each other to improve our rides. Today I find that it's difficult to tell a Chevy from a Ford from a Toyota from a Mazda. I love the fact that my "R" is unmistakable and because I've always been a Chevy guy it fits my loyalty. Almost every time I go for a burn I invariably find myself explaining to people what I find special about it. Most don't realize how performance oriented my 2006 stick is. Even my long time friends were shocked when I took them for a ride and power shifted second and third gear rubber. I still enjoy having a vehicle that is unique and I can personalize in a way that you really can't with a current day cookie cutter. It's amazing to me how many folks stop and ask what it is, I think it may be more interesting these days than it was a dozen years ago. Aside from some exotic I don't think there's a vehicle out there that's less seen or more unique. I couldn't car less what it's resale value is, I'm thrilled every time I see it and every time i drive it. IT'S KEEPING ME YOUNG.
Amen! I bought mine because I liked it....bottom line it's for me! In the end I don't think mine will be worth what some others will be with all the "smiles" I'm gonna put on her! Permagrin!
Flying Dog and SSReplay like this.

Jarod and Lori
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
No SSR, looking for next one;-
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

What's not to agree with.......Values are going up. Most of us hope that trend will continue and I expect it will.
Do you agree with this?

"Like the Cadillac Allante we covered a couple of weeks ago, the long term prospects for this GM oddball probably aren’t great. The notoriety of the design, the relatively high performance, and the popularity among retirement-age enthusiasts have helped surge interest in recent years, but younger buyers aren’t as enthusiastic and even with a 6-speed it’s not rare enough to be a high-dollar unicorn in the near future. That combined with the early 2000s GM styling (and retro styling) that hasn’t exactly aged gracefully seems to suggest that things don’t look too rosy in the long term"

If you search the world for happiness, you may find it in the end, for the world is round and will lead you back to your door. ~Robert Brault
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:17 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I really think you could say that the majority of people under 40 just don't seem to have the interest in classic cars as the older generations. I have nothing to back up this profound statement other than my gut feeling so it may not be worth much.

Dave
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:51 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
I've found the under 40s who do show interest are primarily female, many being quite vocal in their admiration.
Gr8XLr8r likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:24 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I was talking to my son the other day about the SSR and his take on it. He has a newer model Camaro and he said for him he wouldn't want one. So of course I had to get his reasons and they were quite real that I never thought of. So here goes. He has a German Shepard and he takes her most places with him, the SSR doesn't have room for the dog and his girl friend so he has to leave the dog at home or the girl friend and that isn't a good idea. He also said most of the time when he goes out he is either going with a couple or his girl friend and a friend so seating for 3 is a must. And lastly he said that he is in that age group where if you have a truck everyone wants to either borrow it or you to help them move stuff. He said that was the biggest reason he got rid of his S10. He is 26 so I found it a good reasonable explanation of his take on it.
PokerGuy likes this.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:39 AM

My SSR:
2006 SSR 6 speed FPR Ricochet Silver over Smokin Asphalt 3SS Chrome pkg.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhotrod View Post
I was talking to my son the other day about the SSR and his take on it. He has a newer model Camaro and he said for him he wouldn't want one. So of course I had to get his reasons and they were quite real that I never thought of. So here goes. He has a German Shepard and he takes her most places with him, the SSR doesn't have room for the dog and his girl friend so he has to leave the dog at home or the girl friend and that isn't a good idea. He also said most of the time when he goes out he is either going with a couple or his girl friend and a friend so seating for 3 is a must. And lastly he said that he is in that age group where if you have a truck everyone wants to either borrow it or you to help them move stuff. He said that was the biggest reason he got rid of his S10. He is 26 so I found it a good reasonable explanation of his take on it.
My son is now in his late 40's and he has my 71 K5 blazer. I know he hopes I'll pass my "R" on to him, but my Mid 40's daughter has something to say about that. I don't think they understand that they have a long wait.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Administrator

My SSR:
SSR 04 – PEDIGREE SSR Photo History w/ 1st Aux. Gauge Package released for Production. #9684
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Marc NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhotrod View Post
Indeed there are many SSR owners who use their SSR as a daily driver. However many of us owners who live way up North our SSRs are really only a fair weather vehicle and usually only come out on sunny days and or rain free days.

That being said it is appears that your son really doesn't need or want a 2-seater toy truck only.

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:54 PM

We bought our SSR because we like the style and dont like the cookie cutter cars that are out today.
Groceryman101 likes this.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 02:34 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
why I don't eat potatoes

We bought our 2005 6 and 6 primarily for vacations or just cruising around with the ability to put the top down.

There are just two of us and it gives us adequate space for 10 days luggage and still have room to buy a few things. Gas capacity, not MPG, adds to us getting quite a distance between the need to fill up. We usually put 4K to 5K each year doing that.

It drives quite nice on the pavement and is fun to drive down a winding road. Although our Del Sol with a four cylinder will leave it in the mountains roads with no problem.

We are working on the quirks with updates. I can personalize it and change looks by changing wheels, running boards and side pipes and trim and then change them back.

I have a couple of pickups I can use when I need to haul or pull. A Prius when I need to drive in traffic or park easily and a couple of old cars when I want to show off.

I would not have it for an only vehicle, but it is great fun for a third or fourth car. It is fun on vacation when you don't trust a "classic".

Dave
BlueStreak likes this.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:00 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: North Eastern Pennsylvania where it's seldom topless weather.

My SSR:
'05 Smokin Asphalt, 6 speed
The thing that strikes me about this article is the same thing most people misunderstand about the SSR. It was a Halo vehicle! not really intended to be profitable, but to bring traffic to showrooms, and it was successful at that. Read a few comments on the article, and it's apparent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in