• 1 Post By Layne12gun
  • 1 Post By Layne12gun
  • 1 Post By Marc NY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
High Plains Roadster
Supporting Member

My SSR:
A fabulous 2005 ricochet silver model with an automatic purchased in September 2017.
Garage
Oil Change Interval

I change the oil in my R and put in a new filter using the recommended Mobil 1.

In a year, I put circa 5k miles on it.

It has been said that the oil should be changed once a year regardless of miles.

Is that a good habit or overkill?

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Slingshot Rules!
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
The Doophus has been receiving a Full Service (Oil, Filter, Alignment, Brake and Cooling Check, etc) at the local Chevy Dealer once a year regardless of mileage from Day One.

Also a new set of General Grabbers UHPs every six years.

Some things in life are just Not Worth Compromising and/or The Risk.

! ! ! ! ! !
tennesseecozydog likes this.

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:32 AM
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
IMHO, Not overkill. Every year regardless of miles is a good practice and 5000 on Mobil 1 is not excessive. Changing your oil sooner rather than later is always a good practice and is the cheapest insurance on your motor you could buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:48 AM

My SSR:
03 redline red
can you use other brands of oil i don't think i can buy mobil 1
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:53 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur 1SB, Born on 10/20/04, Lighted WindsuppR, Chrome Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
Mobil 1 is not required on the 03 or 04. Mobil 1 is recommended for the 05 & 06.
Check your owners manual.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:54 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I change mine once a year even if it has not hit the mileage mark to change it. Watch for it to go on sale and always stock filters so when I am ready do it at my convenience. I will usually do one vehicle per weekend till I have them all done. Harder thing is trying to catch oil on sale to save a little on it and filters.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:59 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR051 View Post
Mobil 1 is not required on the 03 or 04. Mobil 1 is recommended for the 05 & 06.
Check your owners manual.
I run Mobil 1 in both my 04 and 05 just so I don't have to keep 2 different oils on hand for the SSRs. Usually the best deal is at Walmart on it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:03 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
I'm sure there SSR owners out there, that use other brands, other than Mobil 1. I think you'll be just fine, as long as it is 5W30 Full Synthetic. I'm one of those "nuts" that believes 5W30 Full Synthetic OIL is OIL, regardless of the Brand ... Mobil, Shell, Kendall or whatever !!! OIL ... as SSReplay says "Cheapest Insurance you can buy"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:44 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Wonder if Jay Leno or any other large collector has the oil changed in all their vehicles if they aren't driven. Just curious.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
High Plains Roadster
Supporting Member

My SSR:
A fabulous 2005 ricochet silver model with an automatic purchased in September 2017.
Garage
Thanks for the advice. My year is coming up very soon.

Doofuss brought up the tires and I am glad he did.

According to Carfax, the previous owner of my R had the tires replaced after 2 years when it had less than 20k miles. They were replaced with the stock tires that were still available. Not sure why this was considered necessary. There has been about 25k put on these and there is plenty of tread. However, these were put on in November 2006, eleven and a half years ago.

Something tells me I should have one or two of them unmounted and checked.

The miles I drive are mostly highway and mostly at 70 - for Wyoming, that's poking along. The rest is often on rough, gravel roads.

Since the original Eagles are no longer available, what should I try to replace them with?

I assume I should keep the exact same size.

Since my plan is to drive to my first SSR Rally in Branson from Cheyenne, it will be a stretch.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:12 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
I go by the Driver Information Center and change oil when convenient below 30% life left. That might be once a year but usually more often than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:03 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseecozydog View Post
I'm sure there SSR owners out there, that use other brands, other than Mobil 1. I think you'll be just fine, as long as it is 5W30 Full Synthetic. I'm one of those "nuts" that believes 5W30 Full Synthetic OIL is OIL, regardless of the Brand ... Mobil, Shell, Kendall or whatever !!! OIL ... as SSReplay says "Cheapest Insurance you can buy"
Right On!
All Full Synthetics Base Oils are made the same. The difference is the additives and $$$$ spent on Marketing.
For the type of driving we do with our SSRs there is NO advantage of any Full Synthetic Oil over another other than the price!!!
Now, If you Drag Race it then or spend a lot of time WOT then brands will make a difference. But, that starts a whole nother emotional never ending debate over Oil!!!

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:13 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post
Wonder if Jay Leno or any other large collector has the oil changed in all their vehicles if they aren't driven. Just curious.
Don't know about driving them Robert, but the 5 large collectors of classic cars, that I have known/visited all had a Curator that started them weekly. One you met and visited was Dick Levi in Springfield, Illinois, and the only one he drove was the "Smokin Asphalt" 63 "Plain Jane" 409 Stick that he got out on the street and "street dragged" with the young generation.

A few years ago a guy here in Middle Tennessee had the largest collection of classic Chevy's (over 150) in the U.S. and he never drove any of them ... just had a curator take care of them. When he auctioned them off they said Jay Leno was there. I don't know about the other 3 (Hendersonville, Chattanooga area & Tallahassee, Fl. the other ones I got to see).
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseecozydog View Post
Don't know about driving them Robert, but the 5 large collectors of classic cars, that I have known/visited all had a Curator that started them weekly. One you met and visited was Dick Levi in Springfield, Illinois, and the only one he drove was the "Smokin Asphalt" 63 "Plain Jane" 409 Stick that he got out on the street and "street dragged" with the young generation.

A few years ago a guy here in Middle Tennessee had the largest collection of classic Chevy's (over 150) in the U.S. and he never drove any of them ... just had a curator take care of them. When he auctioned them off they said Jay Leno was there. I don't know about the other 3 (Hendersonville, Chattanooga area & Tallahassee, Fl. the other ones I got to see).
Tallahassee is a great museum and wonderful collection. Also have a HUGE collection of Case Knives. Its a must see.

Layne12gun
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:24 PM

Every year regard less of miles. Daily Driver every 5000 miles religiously .
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:42 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne12gun View Post
Tallahassee is a great museum and wonderful collection. Also have a HUGE collection of Case Knives. Its a must see.

Layne12gun
You are right ... It is a must see, I've never seen such a variety collectables. He had a little bit of everything. But very well displayed and organized. Devoe Moore is the gentleman's name. A graduate of Florida State (FSU) he is a very willing benefactor to his alma mater. One thing I did question was a buggy or a hearse that Mr. Moore said Abraham Lincoln rode in or something like that. Think I'll call down there today and see if I can check it out.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:12 AM
Administrator

My SSR:
SSR 04 PEDIGREE SSR Photo History w/ 1st Aux. Gauge Package released for Production. #9684
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Marc NY
My SSR's first oil change was at 750 miles and I used Mobil 1. Every year when I get my SSR inspected I have the Mobil 1 oil changed.

My neighbor is a GM mechanic who works for a Chevrolet Dealership. I take it to him to have my SSR inspected and checked over and to have the Mobile 1 oil changed. I do that so I will continue to have my SSR fully documented. He has told me that I am the highest % Oil Life vehicle that he has ever changed. I am typically around 96% Oil life remaining each year. Last year I was at 98% Oil Life.

Yes I will hope to drive it more once I am retired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in