Question About Driver's Door Latch Module Operation Re: Window Indexing - Chevy SSR Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By nj6969
  • 1 Post By VI Ken
  • 2 Post By xoxoxoBruce
  • 1 Post By nj6969

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
Question Question About Driver's Door Latch Module Operation Re: Window Indexing

Hi everyone...

On my driver's door when you open the exterior door handle, the window will NOT go down no matter how hard you pull the door handle...UNTIL the door actually starts to open. Then, the window will index down every time without fail. It has been like this since new.

The passenger door, the second you move the door handle the window indexes down whether the door is opening or not.

The problem that this causes on the driver's door is that the window always catches on the rubber for a split second when you open the door. It isn't just a time delay. It will NOT index no matter what you do until you actually move the door itself, and the window ALWAYS drops the very instant the door itself starts to move. However, even if you open the door handle as hard as you can (without opening the door), you can stand there and hold it for over a minute and the window will NOT index. If you move the door outward just a few millimeters, the window will index!

I've even tested it by holding the door handle open as far as possible, absolutely not changing pressure, and having someone else pry the door open...the window only indexed the second the door moved, so it isn't a change of pressure on the door handle. And, it works like this all the time...it never changes behavior as if a switch was dirty.

I don't know how this can be...I don't think there is an inertia sensor in the module, and again no matter how hard I pull the door handle (without opening the door) the window will NOT go down.

How is this module supposed to work? I thought the indexing was only tied to the opening of the door handle itself and not the door...but on my truck this seems like it isn't the case.

Any ideas? I don't want the neverending catching on the rubber when opening the door to mess up my finally well-adjusted window.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:22 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
I’ll say this, the condition you are describing is the same as when the latch becomes internally corroded and doesn’t properly sense the handle movement. I had one latch transition from occasionally not indexing when opening, to all the time not indexing until the door moved slightly. At that point to shut the door and have the window inside the seal, i had to almost shut the door and let it index down, then quickly shut it. After replacing the latch with a rebuilt one, all good.

Here’s a link to a good discussion with relevant info:
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...-locks-245607/

I’d check the top wire connector on the latch and checkout Dicktator's library.

The other possibility is a broken wire not making contact until the door moves. The “since new” part is troubling and makes me consider this more than I would normally. Dicktator told me the broken wire happened on his truck.

Reach out to @Dicktator or @Mike in AZ , if they don’t comment here.

- Robert
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSSR View Post
The other possibility is a broken wire not making contact until the door moves.
So there IS something that senses when the door actually moves to index the window?

Again, I can hold that handle perfectly still, wide open, with absolutely no change in tension for over a minute. The window won't move. Then, I have someone pull open the door slightly from the metal part of the door...the instant the door moves any tiny bit, the window indexes.

How does the latch know the door is opening in that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
So there IS something that senses when the door actually moves to index the window?
No, there is not. When you pull on the handle the latch mechanism sends a signal to the RDM which lowers the window. The signal goes to the RDM through the top connector on the latch mechanism. Probably there's a bad connection in that connector or in the wire that makes contact when you move the door. Go to Dicktator's write up for details.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Oh OK...but I still don't see how not physically moving the latch at all but having someone else open the door makes the window index.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:50 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Quote:

Again, I can hold that handle perfectly still, wide open, with absolutely no change in tension for over a minute. The window won't move. Then, I have someone pull open the door slightly from the metal part of the door...the instant the door moves any tiny bit, the window indexes.

Yes, the door lock senses the position of the handle, when it gets to a certain position it tells the RDM to drop the window. I wrote a "how to" article a few years ago on it. And yes, Dick and I repair them, most likely some corrosion internally, see the link for pictures and information I provided for the forum ........

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...repair-157210/

Find Members and add your location on Forum Pinmap Located
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
You are moving the latch when you pull the handle, otherwise your buddy wouldn't be able to open the door, would he?
But the signal to lower the window isn't getting to the RDM until you move the door, so it has to be a bad connection at the connector on the latch mechanism or in the wire. When you move the door the trouble spot makes contact and it works.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You are moving the latch when you pull the handle, otherwise your buddy wouldn't be able to open the door, would he?
But the signal to lower the window isn't getting to the RDM until you move the door, so it has to be a bad connection at the connector on the latch mechanism or in the wire. When you move the door the trouble spot makes contact and it works.
I understand that. But...

I pull the handle. Nothing happens. I hold it absolutely still for over 1 minute. Nothing happens. I don't move the handle at all, hold it absolutely still. The latch is still open. Then I have someone move the door 1 mm with no movement from me on the handle. The window will index.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:58 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
When you pull the handle nothing happens BECAUSE YOU HAVE A BAD CONNECTION IN THE WIRING!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:30 PM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Quote:

ggoat!!!, My '06, 28,000 miles, I've had 5 years, never in the rain, washed once, by hand, kept in the shop, does the same thing since I bought it. Pull the handle, inside or outside, latch releases, pops open just a hair, from seal pressure maybe, but no index!! Bump with elbow or move just a hair from the outside and it indexes. I haven't done anything to resolve it just do what works. After reading all of this today my thought is, maybe, the Pawl/latch is releasing enough to open the door, BUT NOT quite enough to activate the switch. Maybe the latch or a linkage rod is dry/sticky enough to not complete it travel. Try spraying the latch good like was posted somewhere about "Maintenance/Preventive" step. I have not done it YET, but I really don't think its a broken wire. That said I have been wrong before.

NICK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:35 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Pictures.

Door Latch/Lock Module has three connectors and electric motor.

Water gets in, of course you oil/spray door handle with Silicone every three to six months. RIGHT??

The third picture is contact for "detent" window.

As said, RDM should be called Roof Door (Window) Module.

Mike and I repair them all the time and sometimes it is broken wire in harness, why, every time you open the door, only to drive, it "bends" the small gauge wire that goes thru door until it breaks. How do I know, it happened to me.

The last picture is how it looks NEW!

Dicktator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16-0126 01.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	544953   Click image for larger version

Name:	17-0326 02.jpg
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	544955   Click image for larger version

Name:	door-latch-contact-failure-7-copy.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	544957   Click image for larger version

Name:	17-0708 01.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	544959   Click image for larger version

Name:	14-0827 28.jpg
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	544961  

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:32 PM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
@ggoat!!! , updating my post #10, I finally did spray Silicon all around the door latch pawl and inside and around the out side Door handle levers . it DID seem to help. @Dicktator or someone posted pictures of WHERE to spray, from outside the door, to help prevent moisture getting into the module. I did not see it in the Library. Maybe it could be added?

NICK
QUICKSILVER likes this.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt (Canadian specifications)
Garage
"pictures of WHERE to spray, from outside the door, to help prevent moisture getting into the module."

Agree Nick. Photos would be helpful information in placing the silicon spray nozzle/straw into the door correctly, to spray the mechanism. Anyone??
nj6969 likes this.

Ken
Vancouver Island, Canada
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
I took mine apart tonight. I cleaned every single thing with an entire can of contact cleaner...even though I couldn't see any corrosion whatsoever.

Didn't make a damn bit of difference. The window ONLY goes down the absolute nanosecond that the door moves a quarter millimeter.

I'm done messing with it. For now.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:59 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VI Ken View Post
"pictures of WHERE to spray, from outside the door, to help prevent moisture getting into the module."

Agree Nick. Photos would be helpful information in placing the silicon spray nozzle/straw into the door correctly, to spray the mechanism. Anyone??
Here you go, Ken.
nj6969 and VI Ken like this.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:23 AM

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
As usual, ask and you will receive!!! Thanks from me and Ken. Ah ha Missed between the glass and outer door skin.

Nick
VI Ken likes this.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:30 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt (Canadian specifications)
Garage
Thanx xoxoxoBruce. Off to find the spray can ...

Ken
Vancouver Island, Canada
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Have you tried reindexing the windows. Might help,might not,but only takes a few minutes to do.

“Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in