Route 66 Road trip - Chevy SSR Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Route 66 Road trip

I am going to be making the road trip from California to St Louis next month and will be doing as much of route 66 as we can with in the week we have to do it in. Any suggestions of things to see or places to skip over. Places to eat at or stay at, that are not chain places that we can do anytime. Hope to find some of the hidden treasures of small town diners or old single level motels or what they used to call the motor lodges. I want to let my 14 year old daughter see what it was like to travel when I was a kid and all of the old road side attractions that were quirky but drew you in to stop and see.

Also if anyone knows of good photo stops that will remind her of the trip years later.
Auggie Doggie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:34 PM
Spirited driver!
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
06 Slingshot Yellow #22949 Adopted 07/24/2017 @ 11,100 miles
An iconic stop for me is Peggy Sue's Diner just outside of Barstow, CA. Been there since 1954. Great food in an always busy 50's-style diner and a good photo stop for the R. It is 3 miles north of Highway 40 (current version of 66 in that area) about 10 miles east of Barstow. I stopped there about 2 months ago on the way home form the Laughlin, NV gathering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peegy Sue's.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	526525  

If it don't turn you on when you turn it on, drive something else!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:47 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
Stop at Mr D Z's in Kingman, Az, right off the I-40 for the Best home made Root Beer float around. '50's style diner on the Mother Road.
tennesseecozydog and PokerGuy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:48 PM
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet ... Corvette servo, hood struts
If you want a good read ....... https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f6/route-66-a-39954/
Here’s a good website ... https://www.theroute-66.com/state.html
I do know that some of the places we stopped at are now closed, the midpoint cafe is a great place for pies, the BIG TEXAN steak ranch for awesome and HUGE steaks!!
The best place for us was White Fence Farm in Joiletville Illinois

Rob & Tracie
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 04:37 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Smokin' Asphalt 2006
Conoco station Shamrock, TX
Cadillac Ranch just west of Amarillo, TX.
Route 66 Auto Museum in Santa Rosa, MN
Standin’-On-A-Corner-In-Winslow, Arizona (Kinsley & 2nd) watch out I have heard a Ford truck is parked there (more likely broke down)
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 04:52 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 427 UV, 65 BBVet, 96 ViperGTS, 68 396Cam, 69 Z/28, 92 Typhoon,11 392S/C Challenger, 86 El Cam
Garage
Wife and I did this last year. Do yourself a favor and stay in some of the old Rte 66 hotels. Much cheaper and way more nostalgic than brand new hotels on the interstate. We stayed in wigwam hotel in Holbrook AZ, teepee hotel with old cars parked at each room that was just to cool for words. Walked 1/4 mile down to old steak joint. We were so disappointed in all the places closed though. We took as much road as we could without getting on interstate. Go to Seligman AZ for burger. It was a trip we will forever cherish. Don't be in a hurry and stop everywhere you can. Some little places are a tad out of the way but worth every minute of it. Good luck and enjoy your cruise...wish we could join you.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 04:54 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 427 UV, 65 BBVet, 96 ViperGTS, 68 396Cam, 69 Z/28, 92 Typhoon,11 392S/C Challenger, 86 El Cam
Garage
We went to an old ghost town called Two Guns AZ. Nothing but ruins but we spent several hours there. Oatman is a must see also. Careful the donkeys do bite. Oh yeah we camped a couple of times at some old camp grounds and as old as I am it was still fun.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:22 PM

My SSR:
05 redline
I am planning to drive route 66 with a friend in my 70 c/10 from Chicago to California in early fall. I am going to subscribe to this thread for suggestions.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:06 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Garage
You know, we should probably plan a trip with exact dates and see if we can get SSR's along the way to do a day or two. I might try to put that together if I get super bored.
tennesseecozydog likes this.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 slingshot, #119539, adopted 4/11/14, boards, chrome wheels, bed trim, gages
Garage
don't miss the barber shop/collectibles store in Seligman. The owner Angel, is the person who lobbied Washington to establish rt 66 as an historical landmark. The creator of the movie "Cars", by Pixar, interviewed Angel, and used the story of this town as his city Radiator Springs. Don't miss this place.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
You need to be sure that you take the section of road between Oatman, AZ and Kingman. Along the way, you can stop at the old Cool Springs gas station for a cold ice cream sandwich. Go inside and check out the small memorabilia wall and read the story... Cool Springs on Route 66

Regards,

Mike
Quest and 240 Gordy like this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Ralph and Ruth

My SSR:
'04 Smokin' Asphalt, #13443, tuned by Joe Delano
Garage
For Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
You need to be sure that you take the section of road between Oatman, AZ and Kingman. Along the way, you can stop at the old Cool Springs gas station for a cold ice cream sandwich. Go inside and check out the small memorabilia wall and read the story... Cool Springs on Route 66

Regards,

Mike

I agree! Oatman, AZ is a definite stop! Try to arrive there in the AM when the resident donkeys arrive. The day we were there, was the only day in months that they didn't come into town (so the residents said). There was also a staged "shoot out" in main street.

post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:33 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
In 2007, Debbie and I took a section of Route 66 in Oklahoma that is referred to as the “Ribbon Road”. It is located between Miami and Afton, not fare off of I-44 in Oklahoma. This is a “must see, must travel” section for anyone doing the Route 66 trek. Here’s a link: https://www.theroute-66.com/ribbon-road-us66.html

All my best,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:45 AM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Over the years I have experienced Route 66 a number of times and can honestly say . . . NEVER DISAPPOINTED.

My advice, Stlhotrod . . . schedule as many Route 66 miles as possible with as much time as possible.

Good Luck and, hopefully, the "Picture Posting Fiasco" will be resolved by the time your return.

! ! ! ! ! !

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:37 AM
The Good Lookin One

My SSR:
'03 #3073
The Rock Cafe

Be sure to have a meal at the Rock Cafe in Stroud OK. The owner is the inspiration for Sally in the Disney Cars movies.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarob View Post
If you want a good read ....... https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f6/route-66-a-39954/
Here’s a good website ... https://www.theroute-66.com/state.html
I do know that some of the places we stopped at are now closed, the midpoint cafe is a great place for pies, the BIG TEXAN steak ranch for awesome and HUGE steaks!!
The best place for us was White Fence Farm in Joiletville Illinois
ttarob are you talking about Joliet, Illinois ??? He said he was going from California to St. Louis ... that would still leave nearly 300 miles to Chicago where Route 66 began. There are several places of Route 66 History between Central Illinois and Chicago. tennesseecozydog
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet ... Corvette servo, hood struts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseecozydog View Post
ttarob are you talking about Joliet, Illinois ??? He said he was going from California to St. Louis ... that would still leave nearly 300 miles to Chicago where Route 66 began. There are several places of Route 66 History between Central Illinois and Chicago. tennesseecozydog
I was saying it just in case they got that far!! added incentive!!
And yes it’s Joliet/Romeoville ... I twas having a brain fart!!

Rob & Tracie
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:45 PM

My SSR:
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SSRJIM
Cool Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post

Regards,

Mike
We camped there on the fun run.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1303.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	526579   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1316.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	526581   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1317.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	526583  
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:50 PM

My SSR:
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SSRJIM
Oatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest View Post

I agree! Oatman, AZ is a definite stop! Try to arrive there in the AM when the resident donkeys arrive. The day we were there, was the only day in months that they didn't come into town (so the residents said). There was also a staged "shoot out" in main street.
Oatman on the Fun Run
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1477.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	526585   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1458.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	526587   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1448.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	526589  
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
A little back story on our trip that will make you guys laugh at the thinking of a young child. About 5-6 years ago when my daughter was only 9 years old we were watching tv and the PBS channel had a story on route 66. We watched it together and she said that looks like fun and we should do that in one of the old cars.

So I said we should and we need to make plans. She asked where it started and where it ended and set out to find more on it. She came back with it starting in Chicago was great because there is an American Girl Doll store there that she wanted to visit. Now for a 9 year old girl that was high on priority list of things important to see and do. The fact that it was not a part of route 66 didn't matter to her. She also went on to tell me that there was another one in Texas we could stop at while on the trip. At that point in her life American Girl Dolls were about as important to her as my old cars are to me.

We watched Cars and I told her that was based on route 66 so it got her more excited to do it. Well time and life gets in the way and we hadn't made it till this year. She is now 14 and American Girl dolls are no longer an important thing in her life so we get to skip that. She has been researching what she wants to see and one of the biggest things she wants to see is the Cadillac Ranch and be able to paint her name and the date on a car.

I remember the trips I went on as a kid and would see the billboards for all the crazy tourist traps and think when I get older and take my kids on trips we are going to stop at these places just to see them. My vacations as a kid were always going to some body of water so my dad could see if there were any fish in that body of water. And he was on a mission to get there and find out. I saw many bill boards and wondered were there really 2 headed goats and snakes, how big is the biggest ball of string. Kids now days don't see this, because now so many trips are more go to the air port get searched there and then fly to were ever and fly back. The road trip is a dying adventure. Seeing the barns with Meramec Caverns painted on the roofs, or billboards with so many miles to Wall Drug. Some of you will know what these things are and some may not but it was what I grew up with.

Keep the suggestions coming as we are going to finalize the plans next weekend and then we are off on our adventure.
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:29 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet #11012 born on 04 June 2004
Take Rt 66 (National Trails) from Victorville to Barstow and stop at the Bottle Tree Ranch. A little further up the road you'll be bypassing me by about one mile. Give me a wave.
https://californiathroughmylens.com/...ttletree-ranch
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Lee
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
3rd owner of an '05. Bought in early Oct 2014 with about 13,900 miles on the meter. She's Aqua Blur
Garage
Oklahoma has some 400 miles of Route 66 to explore. There are several different alignments or former routes because as the years went by improvements were made. Most of the routes are well marked with signs, but some have changed route numbers and take planning and patience to trace. A club I am a member of recently sponsored a week long tour of the Southwest Missouri to Oklahoma/Texas border segment. The group stopped at most of the popular tourist attractions and numerous car collections.

The Route 66 Museum in Clinton (western Oklahoma) is worth seeing. Plan on at least an hour to see it.

A good meal can be had at the new Lucille’s in Weatherford. The original roadside Lucille’s diner (now closed) is just a few miles east of town, but available for a good photo shoot.

Just east of Weatherford and on the old Route 66 is a 38 span camel back bridge, which is a must see. The Route winds its way eastward and is marked as Highway 281 part of the way. It closely parallels I-40 for part of the Route, in other segments not so much.

The Route will pass by historic Fort Reno then on through downtown El Reno, Sid’s Diner in the heart of downtown is a popular stop.

From there it’s eastward through Yukon and on to Bethany, to Oklahoma City (OKC).

In OKC the Route gets tricky because over the years different paths were used. Some of those are now traffic nightmares and more recently construction obstacles best avoided. It can take 60 minutes more or less to wind through the downtown Route 66 section from Bethany to Edmond.

A suggested route to see the highlights would be: From Bethany (Route 66 aka 39th Street) east to Classen, south to Reno Ave, then east to downtown OKC. There are numerous things to see and do in and near the downtown. A google search is suggested. From Reno Ave turn north on Broadway and drive through Automobile Alley, the restored buildings of former long ago auto dealerships. At Broadway and 23rd Street turn east and drive by the State Capital on the right and OK History Center. Turn north on North Kelley Ave toward Edmond. Part of the segment will wander through urban and farmland on to downtown Edmond. At Kelly, note spelling change, turn east on 2nd Street (aka Edmond Road). Continue eastward past I-35 to Arcadia, OK. Just east of Arcadia plan on a stop at Pops, a new Route 66 venue offering a huge variety of soda pop and eats. Just east of there is the iconic Round Barn. And east of the barn is the Hargrove museum and collection, which may or may not be open. But if so, is worth the time to see.

From there it’s on to Stroud and the Rock Cafe, which has been referenced by someone earlier.

From Stroud the next recommended stop is at the recently completed Route 66 Museum in Sapulpa.

The Route then passes through Tulsa and again is tricky.

Perhaps someone more familiar with that segment can help provide guidance?
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:55 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'03 Red SSR
My wife and I are making the trip from LA to Chicago in August. I'm glad to see this thread to help us plan where to stop. Our trip will begin with a trip across the northern plains to see the key sites there and then down through California and Nevada. We'll return to Chicago via Rte 66. We're making this trip in our RV.

Jerry & Pearl Acheson
Green Oaks, Illinois
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:30 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyssr View Post
I am planning to drive route 66 with a friend in my 70 c/10 from Chicago to California in early fall. I am going to subscribe to this thread for suggestions.
cincyssr, In Illinois, most of the old Route 66 parallels I-55 and you will see Brown Historical Signs along the way pointing out the old route. By all means IF you are on I-55 just South of Springfield, Illinois, exit at the Auburn/Pawnee Route 104 Junction and turn Right (West) and go to the 4 Way Stop in Auburn, turn Right again and go back North just a few miles AND drive on the original Brick Route 66 laid back in the 1920"s. Talk about History, the "bricks" are 92 years old this year.

Keep in mind in the very early years of Route 66, the route seemed to run all over the place. Back then I think they used every paved road they could find. In Springfield, you should visit the Cozy Dog Drive In and see all their collectables, including my Tennessee "COZYDOG" license plate. Also in Springfield, is the Route 66 Motel which back in the day was the first Holiday Inn, in Illinois on Route 66. In Chicago, I think it originated on Jackson Street. Between Chicago and Springfield, there are a lot of places to see pertaining to Route 66 (Pontiac for sure) In Litchfield, Illinois, The Ariston Cafe is supposed to be the oldest Cafe still in business on the old Route.

PM me your address and I'll send you an Illinois Route 66 Visitors Guide Magazine. On the front of the magazine is 57 Corvette and a Custom made, Black & Copper A Lincoln Harley owned by an acquaintance of mine Dick Levi. AND the photo was made on the old brick road !!!

I actually grew up in the Springfield area and at one time knew every "crack & curve" in every road in that area and Jan & I used to hang out at the original Cozy Dog Drive In (that's where I got my "handle") and the North Grand Icy.

Bob Alexander - tennesseecozydog -
SSReplay likes this.
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:46 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
cincyssr ...The 17th Annual Route 66 Mother Road Festival will be in Springfield, Illinois, September 21, 22 & 23, this year (2018). This will be our 10th year of attending. It starts on Friday at Noon and ends on Sunday at Noon (actually Sunday morning). In 2015 we had 35 SSR's in the Friday Night Cruise In and got the "Spirit Award" (Thanks to Wild Bill & Red, who led the parade/cruise in, in their Red SSR with 3 giant flag poles and flags attached to the rear of the truck). All kinds (12 to 1,500 Vintage & Classic vehicles ... just the right number for viewing !!!

For more info on the Festival go to ... route66fest.com

We go up on Thursday (the 20th) and come home on Sunday. Let me know if you want that Route 66 Visitor's Guide. tennesseecozydog
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 PM

My SSR:
05 redline
Thanks TCD but I don't have enough posts to pm.
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 PM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
Guess I better chime in here. Don't forget about New Mexico... The Land of Enchantment. I don't need to be specific. Just take the old highway where you can and stop as often as you wish. The flavor of the area will ooze character. You'll have a ball.
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:09 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
I was born on rte 66 in Elk City, Ok. First home was a motel my family owned on that road. Many people these days travel on I 40 thinking they are doing rte 66 and while it may be the same area it's just not the same as the two lane road. If time is a concern then use the interstate and at least exit for the business routes at the towns along the way, that will be the original Route 66. There have been many realignments to the route over the years but the towns still have a lot of the old routes. Oklahoma is said to have more of the original two lane than anywhere else. Seldom do the old motels fill up, as opposed to the chains that frequently do, so reservations for the small ones are really not necessary if a little planning on daily mileage is done. Simply ask to see the room before you check in and that will let you know if you want to stay. If staying at the modern chain motels I strongly advise making reservations. With diners the more cars parked outside the better the food usually. Have fun on your trip.
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:49 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Phantom Black Metallic 05, 6.0 liter S.C. auto, Rear spoiler,Air Dam, Kooks headers,
Garage
Hi Bruce,
You should stop in Old Town Kingman, Az. Rt. 66 was changed to Andy Devine Rd. in Kingman and when you are ready to leave just head East on Andy Devine and you can take it all the way to Seligman and about ten miles beyond, then it turns into a dirt road. You can get back on in Williams and take it to Parks, which is part of the very prettiest parts of the Arizona section. A stop in Winslow is also very cool, cruise by or stay over at the La Posada Inn, and stay in a room where a famous person stayed. The rooms are named after them and are spectacular in style. Just to visit the hotel it is well worth the stop. Get some up to date maps because 66 starts and stops all across the country.
Dennis
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:05 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Don't miss the giant cross at Groom Texas on I-40 near Amarillo. You can see it for miles and when you stop and visit it has all the stations of the cross and a gift shop etc. Really a sight to behold.

I put the U-Tube site here but it won't post. Sorry.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in