Running boards - Chevy SSR Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dragon2U

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Running boards

Just got a quote to have my running boards repainted same UV color as truck with a non skid coating where black is. Would imagine the UV paint is pretty expensive and wondering if the body shop is giving me a good price or not, quote was for $400 I remove the boards. Is this price fair or not what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:25 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
I think for the work you are asking for, sanding, prepping, painting and the application of anti skid it is a decent price for a commercial company. The cost of the UV is rather pricey due to the pearl in it and there is a lot of work to do it right.

One note of caution, I know several people have had the entire black area painted with anti skid but I also know that there are issues doing it. The longevity of the material used might not be good and it could start peeling or lifting. I know this has happened to someone that used bed coating for the black area, not sure what type of material you were going to use but it is something to think about. Just an anti skid paint might be better but not sure of the lifespan or how well it holds color.

On the boards I had on my truck I used anti skid tape just on the raised 3 ribs of the steps and I really liked it better than the entire area where the OEM step rubber was. Having more of it body color made it look nicer, and your foot only touches the top area anyway so the lower area is safe. If you did not want to use the tape you could just have the top areas painted with aniskid and not the entire area, that way if it ever failed it would be much easier to repair. Just a thought..........
04 PurpleHaze likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Thanks Dragon I like your ideas especially just doing the top in black no since hiding all that UV paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
Having more of it body color made it look nicer, and your foot only touches the top area anyway so the lower area is safe.
Foot touches? As in step on them?

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 AM

This actually sparks a question I've been thinking about for a while. I know there are some vehicles what have purely cosmetic running boards.
Are the SSR running boards completely cosmetic, or are they functional to be used as such? If so, how much weight can they handle?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:47 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I have stood on mine while cleaning the truck so I know they will hold up to 200 pounds no problem. By the size of the brackets they should be able to take much more then that. I don't use mine when getting in or out. I like them because it makes the truck look lower and it helps to keep the truck sides cleaner. The 05 came with them in the bed and I put them on for the trip home to try to keep it cleaner. My 04 did not have them when I bought it but it was one of the first things I added to it. Right now they are off to be painted.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 11:05 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I'm around 255 and have stood on them while washing and waxing the roof. I have to confess I do think about that much weight on them but so far no issues.

Dave
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:03 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmuffin View Post
Are the SSR running boards completely cosmetic, or are they functional to be used as such? If so, how much weight can they handle?
If you have the lowered and tucked brackets, like a lot of us, I THINK, they are Cosmetic. With those brackets the Boards are tucked in and under so far that there is not really enough to put your foot on. Plus they make it easier to get in and out. We never step on them with either SSR

Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:57 PM
I

My SSR:
San Francisco Bay Area
A Touch of "Trouble"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 PurpleHaze View Post
Just got a quote to have my running boards repainted same UV color as truck with a non skid coating where black is. Would imagine the UV paint is pretty expensive and wondering if the body shop is giving me a good price or not, quote was for $400 I remove the boards. Is this price fair or not what do you guys think?
I dont know about UV paint...but I had my done in
Gloss Black....
Can you say......Powder Coat
cost me $80......and looks great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Love Getting IN & Out of:
"TROUBLE"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:49 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Foot touches? As in step on they?
I agree, I never stepped on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR Trouble View Post
I dont know about UV paint...but I had my done in
Gloss Black....
Can you say......Power Coat
cost me $80......and looks great
Powder coat the boards or brackets? I agree the brackets being $80 powder coated, maybe less.
Boards are a plastic wrapped composite. When I painted the boards it was around $60 a pint just for UV paint. Then you add in some adhesion promoter, primer, clear coat, etc.....
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 02:48 AM

My SSR:
2005 SSR
Garage
Nah that’s to much. I had mine powder coated with the non slip ****. Cost me $140 and 45 min to remove and reinstall.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:24 AM
Tech Support/Research

Painting Estimate

If you want a pricing reference point, I recently obtained an estimate for some paint work from a local production shop. For a 3-hour job, the total (labor, paint and supplies) was $452.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 time View Post
Nah that’s to much. I had mine powder coated with the non slip ****. Cost me $140 and 45 min to remove and reinstall.
The boards are plastic, traditional powder coat will not stick. I know there are some companies working with plastic powder coating, is that what you had done? Would like to know more about who and how they did it since that still seems like a cheap price. Did they do the entire board or just the step area? Maybe they used paint, epoxy or bedliner coating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snomuncher View Post
If you want a pricing reference point, I recently obtained an estimate for some paint work from a local production shop. For a 3-hour job, the total (labor, paint and supplies) was $452.
Obviously depends on the shop, geographical location, time of year, etc.... but this seems to validate the OPs initial question for traditional painting, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in