• 2 Post By beer100
  • 1 Post By Stlhotrod
  • 1 Post By OLDFATGUY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Born on 12/23/04, adopted 07/06/16, From KY to CA. Once a farm truck, Now a SoCal cruiser.
Garage
Sanding and Painting Running Boards

Hi All

There was a thread a while back on sanding the seam or edge off the running boards and then priming and painting them.

I have searched for hours and can't seem to find that thread, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
SJA likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:44 AM
Tech Support/Research

Running Board Seam

Here is one thread on the topic:

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f99...boards-213857/
shakatak, Stepchild and SJA like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 AM
SJA
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver with 126,000 mi. s#4B109910
I have a Silver R & am currently in the process of sanding & painting my running boards. I have my fingers crossed! Never done this before & I also am seeking guidance. Visited a local auto refinishing supply store yesterday where I discussed this project with a sales rep. I have already removed one of the black rubber mats & like the look of a fully painted running board without the mat. It seems to give more of a ground effects look as it blends more into the body for aesthetics. He also liked the idea. I'm doing progressive grit sanding followed by SEM all surface heavy build primer, base coat & clear coat. I'll try to post some before & after pictures, but only if the job has a good ending.

"SJA" Steve
shakatak likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:21 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
I have a Silver R & am currently in the process of sanding & painting my running boards. I have my fingers crossed! Never done this before & I also am seeking guidance. Visited a local auto refinishing supply store yesterday where I discussed this project with a sales rep. I have already removed one of the black rubber mats & like the look of a fully painted running board without the mat. It seems to give more of a ground effects look as it blends more into the body for aesthetics. He also liked the idea. I'm doing progressive grit sanding followed by SEM all surface heavy build primer, base coat & clear coat. I'll try to post some before & after pictures, but only if the job has a good ending.

"SJA" Steve
Just a thought on removing the rubber part for good. Some folks that are not familiar with these vehicles might step on the running board and ruin your paint job. Some folks have put Linex the same color on the tread area. From a few feet away looks just like the paint but more sturdy then paint. Last year I had mine in a show and I wasn't fast enough and a kid ran up to my R and jumped up on the running board to get a better look inside. His Dad apologized but I was sure glad I had the rubber treads on mine. Stuff happens. Before my wife passed away she was so frail she had to step on the running board to get in even with help. I wasn't about to say anything as I was just glad to have her along. Might be other help ideas out there for you. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:24 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Did mine years ago!

Lonnie/Mr. Sinister did them in 2009, still look NEW!

You can get Lowering/Tuck Brackets from Mike Moro aka https://shop.simple-engineering.com/

Dicktator

Remove rubber, double sided tape holds it on. Used Line-X on ribs. Changed bracket to lower and tuck boards by 3 inches. Don't "scuff" boards with feet anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-0109 04.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	541353   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-0109 06.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	541355   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-0121 05.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	541357   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-0121 13.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	541359   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-0121 12.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	541361  

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
Did mine years ago!

You can get Lowering/Tuck Brackets from Mike Moro aka https://shop.simple-engineering.com/

Dicktator

Remove rubber, double sided tape holds it on. Used Line-X on ribs. Changed bracket to lower and tuck boards by 3 inches. Don't "scuff" boards with feet anymore.
The black looks great but if the guy wanted it to look like the same color as his Silver SSR they make the coating in colors now so he could do that. Just an Idea.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:02 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
I repainted mine silver after I got it. They were pretty beat up. The plastic they are made from is like PE and hard to get paint to adhere real good if you strip them down all the way like I had to. I used adhesion promoter, high build primer, sealer then basecoat paint and clear.

I recently painted a set in Slingshot yellow for a fellow Fanatic in Texas who wanted the seams smoothed. the seam smoothing went fine. Used the same procedure but did not strip them down as they were in good shape. Unfortunately I discovered they had been previously and poorly repainted by a PO and the base coat solvents lifted the crummy paint that was on there. I had to strip and start over on that one then used several coats of sealer primer on the other before spraying the base coat. He decided to leave off the rubber because they looked so good naked yellow!
shakatak and SJA like this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:53 PM

My SSR:
'06 Slingshot Yellow #21829. Adopted 12/28/13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbaehr View Post
I repainted mine silver after I got it. They were pretty beat up. The plastic they are made from is like PE and hard to get paint to adhere real good if you strip them down all the way like I had to. I used adhesion promoter, high build primer, sealer then basecoat paint and clear.

I recently painted a set in Slingshot yellow for a fellow Fanatic in Texas who wanted the seams smoothed. the seam smoothing went fine. Used the same procedure but did not strip them down as they were in good shape. Unfortunately I discovered they had been previously and poorly repainted by a PO and the base coat solvents lifted the crummy paint that was on there. I had to strip and start over on that one then used several coats of sealer primer on the other before spraying the base coat. He decided to leave off the rubber because they looked so good naked yellow!
Greg for the extra work on them. They look GREAT colored matched to the R and the no seam looks even better. Chevy should have spent the extra and cleaned them up originally. I am leaving the black off. They are already lowered and tucked.

Greg
SJA likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:02 PM
SJA
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver with 126,000 mi. s#4B109910
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLCrisisSSR View Post
Greg for the extra work on them. They look GREAT colored matched to the R and the no seam looks even better. Chevy should have spent the extra and cleaned them up originally. I am leaving the black off. They are already lowered and tucked.

Greg
You inspired me. I'm going to do it while I'm at it.

"SJA"
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 PM

My SSR:
'06 Slingshot Yellow #21829. Adopted 12/28/13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
You inspired me. I'm going to do it while I'm at it.

"SJA"
You will be Happy with the results.

Greg
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:11 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Since it's my thread on the link I thought I may as well chime in here. Smoothing and sanding was easy. Have yet to get them painted though. Plan to use the new fine texture bed liner in black in place of the stock black pads. Sounds like I should get some " no step " signs for car shows though, like people actually read signs.
shakatak likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:22 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
SE Rad support, Frame Plate, Main Fan. Otherwise stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
Did mine years ago!

Dicktator

What did you have to do to the brackets to move them in more?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Running Board Brackets.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
To each his or her own but I like the boards sticking out more like designed and the black treads for several reasons. Sticking out just looks better to me and you get more protection. Sticking out and the black rubber treads looks more like the 49 Chevy look, as intended by designer. Just me.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:07 PM

My SSR:
#6043 Adopted 4-4-2004
Did mine in 2012. https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f99...-boards-60157/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gkbeer...57631470117870

Glenn

P.S. I’d recommend having a paint shop do the painting. I didn’t really put as many clear coats on as it needed for a long lasting finish. The still look better than they did before, but they need to be redone.
shakatak and Boomer Bob like this.

Glenn

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:12 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Lonnie lights #43,confidence by simple Engineering
Send a message via Yahoo to abadssr
Beer 100 long time no hear from you

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:21 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I wasn't sure what I wanted to do on my boards so I pulled the rubber steps off and liked the silver treads. I wanted to see what they would look like with the raised treads left silver and the boards painted black. I sanded them and painted one with that peal able paint. I liked the look and then pulled the black off and am waiting for spring to take them to the body shop to get painted for good.
Flying Dog likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:56 AM
Perfectionist
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 REDLINE, lowered frnt an rear, tucked an lowered boards by me, chrome package, chrom wheels
I painted mine myself. I always intended too. I sold the rubber to a fellow fanatic, my rubbers were perfect and really black. When you pull the rubber off there is a little work to do. Depending on picky you are. There are many small pencil eraser "high spots" around the perimeter of the boards about 3-4 inches apart. Most people don't even notice them. Anyway, I blocked those all down, sanded the seam out, etc...Ö Then cut the brackets down to lower and tuck them. Mike offers a really nice set that will lower and tuck them also. Anyway, I have always liked the painted look, good luck, you will like them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	541633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	541635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	541637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2935.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	541639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2936.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	541641  

shakatak likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in