Is an SSR a "Classic" - Chevy SSR Forum
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
04 Redline
Is an SSR a "Classic"

Our local car club does not recognize an SSR as a classic car. They welcome me to park at their weekly shows but not participate in any fun events. Looking up the definition of classic car you can find many definitions but the one I relate to is it "being unique, limited production cruiser with great collectible potential" . They are often sold by Gateway Classic Cars. I am looking to improve on my argument that the "R" is a classic and present my case to the executive. Any suggestions or examples of why it should be considered a "Classic". Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:37 PM
I DO WINDOWS
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2003 #2393 black SB1 some-stuff-added
No not a classic. here 25 years old is classic 50 years old is antique.

REBEL with a CAUSE and a LOADED AIRBRUSH!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Ask him/them for his/their definition.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:43 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
I have the same problem here in Rapid City South Dakota. There are two major car clubs here. I can park my SSR with hood up, sit in a lawn chair, visit with car buffs, etc. but I can not actually participate in any of their car shows or runs or club activities. It all boils down to their by-laws which state your car has to be made prior to 1985. They are kind and friendly just very matter of fact. I can not join. Period. I even suggested they have auxiliary members that would help with club activities etc. but NO! Their loss I guess.

If you check most car clubs are not Classic, they call their cars and trucks Custom or Hotrods.
tennesseecozydog, TLM and John F like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:46 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Sorry but I don't think the SSR fits into Classic either. Classic in my circles are usually considered to be 1972 and earlier. The SSR is more of a Modern Muscle car than a classic to me. Also I don't consider any car that relies on a factory computer for any function to be considered classic.
tennesseecozydog likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:27 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Would not fret it guys your with a group here that's 10 times better then a car club with their silly rules, as Dictator says no rules, no meetings, just show up and have fun. Whats better then to go to a rally or get together with 50-100 people in their R's cruise to different places and enjoy the day.
As far as what makes a car a classic most say it is a car 25 years or older so we have 10-11 years to go, get out there and enjoy the ride.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR) 2005 Flame Pace Trk (CFO's)
Besides, its a truck....
LKMURKY likes this.

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
This may be way off base but:
- were you born in the fifty's?
- what did you consider a vintage car when you were a young man?

When I look back in my yute and had my first car - 1957 Ford in 1966 at age 16, a 1952 vehicle was outdated and old, yet a 33 Ford was just ancient!
Think about where our people were in 1900 and what has happened in 118 years - how we are escalating exponentially in all parts of life

A 1940 vehicle was ancient to me in 1965 - a 1955 vehicle was a classic
As each decade arises, we close in on a vehicle status - outdated like a cell phone
Things happen so quickly in our world these days

As to what is considered classic, we need to consider the vehicle - what will future generations consider collectable?
There are some that will definitely fit the status, but so many cookie cutters - but has that not been the case over the years - just less volume

IMO, the SSR deserves Collector status now - insurance companies will not see it this way
Our SSR's are a rare example of a Concept Vehicle that made it to the market

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Dr Who
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
I think this says it all....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	classic.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	510210  
CruDawg and Jersey red like this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Genuinely SSR Obsessed

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=3/14/2006 The Black Knight
Cool

IMHO ~~~ I'm thinking Jolly might be trying his best to fit in with a bunch of people with their noses way up in the air. -

To go strictly by age means that its possible to have a rusted-out POS 1978 Ford and be accepted by the club. -

Our trucks are totally unique and have no reference point of comparision.

Yeah, to me my SSR is a classic!! Just look at its lines. They are gorgeous and without peers. I LOVE mine....regardless of what anybody else says or thinks. -

===============
David
Is an SSR a &quot;Classic&quot;-images-9.jpeg
Flying Dog, HUAW, birdmans and 9 others like this.

=========================================

Livin' the Dream; Thanks Chevrolet
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 08:24 PM
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

My SSR:
FIRST 06 Pacific BLUE 3SS with VYJ "Chrome" #145 of 532 Born on 9/9/05
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ssroe
Cool

Ask the people at Philadelphia/Grundy Insurance, they insure my CLASSIC TRUCK!
gaindian likes this.

Michael & Linda

One of the Blues Brothers
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 08:40 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
This don't answer you question about Classic but "Good Guys" has a Rod and Custom car show this weekend in Nashville it is open to 87 and older.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 04:48 AM
Dr Who
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post
This don't answer you question about Classic but "Good Guys" has a Rod and Custom car show this weekend in Nashville it is open to 87 and older.
Damn, I'm only 64 so I guess I can't go. Somebody should report them for age discrimination....
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 06:07 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Aqua Blur #15813
I take my truck to car shows because their are people that appreciate our trucks. I don’t go for trophies because I believe that I only want to be judged with other SSR’s. I used to own an Avanti and would only go for trophies when I was judged only against other Avanti’s. Just hang out with other SSR’s where you will be accepted. Attend all the rally’s you can.
Bob
SSR290 and tennesseecozydog like this.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:42 AM

My SSR:
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SSRJIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post

Good guys, at least in Arizona, has all American Sunday. If it’s made in America you can bring it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:49 AM

My SSR:
2004 U/V "Bad Minon"- powered by Impulse Power and Warp Speed created by using Di-Lithium Crystals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhotrod View Post
Sorry but I don't think the SSR fits into Classic either. Classic in my circles are usually considered to be 1972 and earlier. The SSR is more of a Modern Muscle car than a classic to me. Also I don't consider any car that relies on a factory computer for any function to be considered classic.
Question: If someone swaps an "LS" engine into a 67 C-10 truck is it a classic since the engine is computer controlled?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:17 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteric View Post
Question: If someone swaps an "LS" engine into a 67 C-10 truck is it a classic since the engine is computer controlled?
My meaning is that the 67 did not rely on a computer to run the truck. Computer controls did not come into play till around the late 70s early 80s at least for the GM stuff I have worked on.

What a classic, hot rod, street rod, custom, you name it can be debated or argued for a long time. But in the end the important thing is to enjoy your vehicle and call it what ever you want.

Around my house everyone calls it my hot rod truck. It is the farthest from the fastest, or most modified of all the vehicles I own, but that is the name we stuck on it. And if some car club won't let a person in that wants to help and support their group it really is their loss not yours.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhotrod View Post
Maybe we should dissect Classic/Collectable
Collectable to me is a vehicle that is a low production, can be a more recent model - Flassh might opine here as he has been a leader of a major car show for years
Classic may be 1972 or older, but that age line was drawn by 50 year old guys that are now 70 and refuse to extend the lines
That line was drawn because of the emissions crap and there really weren't a lot of vehicles built that might be considered "Classic or Collectable" as the 70's evolved, the 80's 90's.

So, if you want to draw the line for Classic as 1972 (I think it should be 1970) - so be it.
Collectable is a different issue, many vehicles through the next 4 decades are collectable.
The SSR may never fall into the Classic category by the "guys" that establish the guidelines, but it is definitely Collectable
BlueStreak likes this.

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
"Woodstock" Born 12/21/04 2005 Slingshot Yellow
There's a group here in East Texas that holds a "Car Show" every month at a different venue. I went to two of them when I first got Woodstock. Snottiest bunch of old farts I've ever encountered. Wouldn't come near the SSR. I tried small talk, complementing their rides etc., to no avail. They made it clear I was not welcome. Oh well, their loss.

Willie

P.S. I would think the SSR is more a "collectable" than a "Classic." YMMV
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:44 AM
I DO WINDOWS

My SSR:
My truck is fairly well modified mechanically and visually. But I do not feel slighted by car shows as the rules have been set for years before I bought the R. People who have hot rod or rebuilt old cars as bone stock. People who have spent time and money into their cars to have their personality come through. They don’t want someone like me and my R to drive off the lot and into the show. (Like not paying our dues yet) Hang on our time will come, and we “will be rare”.
There are many more shows you can be a part of that are open to all.
SSR events maybe should have more truck shows, where we compete against our own class. I was lucky enough to be best of show in Maggie valley against over 100 SSR’S. That was humbling and to this day most satisfying. Because it was with 100 of the best looking trucks that all wherein same age range and started life looking similar off the lot. The fanatic’s there knew SSR’s inside and out. You could not find better judges for the SSR than people that own one.
To Jolly go to the show and park just outside the event. Watch how many people walk over to check your truck out. Let that be your reward.
poppa and Boomer Bob like this.

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:23 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
# 8 (permalink) Excellent post Cash !!!
#19 (permalink) Excellent post WillieMacG !!!

In fact they are all well stated !!!
WillieMacG and Boomer Bob like this.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:25 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Garage
There are a lot of so called "Classics" at local shows but if you consider a vehicle with new custom frame, aftermarket body parts and custom seats they are nothing but new vehicles with the old style look. A real classic is one that is ORIGIONAL and basically stock. Just my thoughts!!
shakatak likes this.

REDRACR
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:52 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Most of the folks say hang out with the SSR folks in your area but I have noticed there are many running around here or we see parked. Tried to talk to them and left notes on their trucks etc. but none get back to us or contact us. None are on the SSR Forum Pin Locator map or are on the Forum as far as I know. Have asked them to join but none have. Very discouraging. At least the folks in the two custom car clubs are very friendly, love to talk car stuff and let me hang around their shows and with them. It is just their rules in their by laws, no cars or memberships newer than 1985 and I respect that. Don't understand it but respect it. I am actually in their car show with hood up etc. but I don't pay the entry fee, don't get judged, don't get a trophy and can't go to their meetings. They claim they don't want rich people going out and buying a brand new modern HotRod and joining there club. They want someone that has an old car that they have restored and HotRodded themselves. Good principle in theory but I have a friend that is in the club that is my age and bought a full blown custom 32 Plymouth full fendered chopped, channeled and lowered coupe with a big motor etc.fully complete for about $100,000.00 and he doesn't know a box wrench from a screw driver. Kind of disproves their theory. Works for me for now.
REBEL, poppa, Flying Dog and 4 others like this.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 01:03 PM
I DO WINDOWS

My SSR:
Let’s look at it this way.
Car show is wide open 1900 to 2018.
So we can show, but so can Toyota’s, KIA’s anything brand new that has nothing more than money invested. I can see all that at a Wal-Mart parking lot. I am not going to that show. The cars are boring and the owners have a different mindset. The people setting up a show have to set guide lines. For Quality of cars that have interest. They need to separate the cream from the rest somehow. Setting by year is one way that is clean cut no room for argument. Corvette shows limit to corvettes only. Tri5 shows limit to Tri5’s only. On and on. LOVE YOUR TRUCK and support your SSR rallys.

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:22 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Maybellene 2006 SSR Auto #23699 SMOKIN'ASPHALT/RICOCHET SILVER Build Date: 03/02/2006
I consider them a Limited Production Collector vehicle
poppa likes this.

Mike - mikebike in Surrey BC Canada Licence plate MY SSR
2006 SSR Auto SMOKIN'ASPHALT/RICOCHET SILVER
Build Date: 03/02/2006

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
04 Redline
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Too bad there are few "R"s in my neck of the woods so we can't have our own rally or show. It's a unique vehicle and I love to show it. Guess i will just have to keep CRUSN.
Boomer Bob likes this.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
No problem Jolly, just go to the supermarket, or anywhere else, and you'll draw your own spectators.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:03 PM
Styles Sport Roadster

My SSR:
05 Yelow SSR & Yellow Trailer
Wow a lot of people with snoots bent out of shape on putting there ssrs in car shows . Buy a classic and problem solved. Just drive your truck and enjoy it .
Auggie Doggie likes this.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 PM

My SSR:
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SSRJIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLES SPORT ROADSTER View Post
Wow a lot of people with snoots bent out of shape on putting there ssrs in car shows . Buy a classic and problem solved. Just drive your truck and enjoy it .

Better yet build your own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 04:57 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
Damn, I'm only 64 so I guess I can't go. Somebody should report them for age discrimination....
I'm only 78 Doctor, so I didn't go either. Wicked Stick went last year and said he walked for 2 days and still didn't see all the "Classics"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in