Chevy SSR Forum banner

Thinking about buying a SSR...need advice

10K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  1racingnut 
#1 ·
I am thinking about buying an SSR. Can anyone tell me what common issues if any these trucks have.
I am a retired mechanic / collision repair tech so I know what to look for in that regard. Is a 6.0 significantly better that a 5.3? Any year better? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

#2 · (Edited)
Hoo-Boy... You'll likely get a boat load of comments here. Crusty old blue haired know-it-alls love to spout off about their favorite toys.

If the extra 90 hp and bragging rights are important to you, then yes, an '05 or '06 (6.0) is the way to go. That said, an '03 or '04 (5.3) can easily be made to perform quite well.

'05's and '06's seem to have more "gremlins" to deal with.

Bottom line... SSR's are like sex. It's all good, some is just better than others.

Enjoy your search and welcome to the fold.

#4 ·
LS2 6.0 (~400 hp)
- Only way to have a factory installed Manual 6 Speed Transmission.
- Only way to get a factory painted Aqua Blur, Pac Blue or factory Two Tone

Vortec 5.3 (~300 hp)
- Only Automatic Trans (4 Speed)
- Only way to get a factory painted Ultra Violet

Welcome to the forum...hopefully we will soon be saying...
Welcome to the family!!!

#5 ·
:agree Better chance of wrinkles being ironed out here.

If you want a stick then that rules out '03 and '04, automatic any year.
The smaller engine in the '03 and '04 is 100 hp less than the later LS-2 but it still has 300 hp and probably 30 0r 40 more with a good tune and a couple tweeks. So unless you're street racing or hot dogging, it has plenty of git-up-'n-went for merging and passing.
Generally most anything that might go wrong, the smart guys here have figured out a fix. Mike in AZ started Simple Engineering to provide parts specifically tailored to any shortcomings.
The elephant in the room is body parts. They can be had from some places like Cleveland... I think their name is Speed & Performance now, but the problem is insurance companies don't want anything but new parts. Liability I guess. Of course that's not a problem if you don't bend it.

#6 ·
If your looking at the cost between the 03-04 and 05-06 you will end up paying more for the 05-06 because of the bigger engine and availability of the 6 speed stick other wise they are all the same and unless you know what to look for you can't tell them a part. I bought mine before I knew about the Fanatic's if I had known I might have tried to get one that's for sale here as most pf the upgrades and "bling"has been done to them. Happy hunting anyway you go you should be happy.

#7 ·
Some good advice ☝ The only thing I might want to add is if there is some kind of warranty u can buy that would cover electrical for just 1 year that might be smart money. If the car has some of the common issues a year is long enough to experience them and get it taken care of. Of course u have to weigh out cost versus peace of mind.

#8 ·
Whatever you choose, you'll likely not go wrong as long as you use common sense car buying. In my short experience with ours the SSR is really no different than any other vehicle GM built at the time. It has its quirks and oddities, but so do lots of other cars out there.

That said, here's a video RetroCarGuy did on his 2004. Some of it is specific to '03/'04 models, but I'd say most of it covers SSRs in general. (He has a ton of other SSR DIY videos as well).

Agree with SWT RYD... most that you would find listed on this site are probably the best-of-the-best. No guarantees of course.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

#10 ·
From my take the SSRs are a fun vehicle but if you are wanting a true truck to do truck stuff with, that's not what an SSR is for. If you like driving, would rather have the rumble of a V8 over worrying about mpg. Then they fit that.
I own both an 04 with the 5.3 and a 05 with the 6.0 in it. The nice thing about the 5.3 is it runs on regular with no issues. The 6.0 they recommend you run it on premium and I do. I am not even sure what the difference on fill ups is right now because I don't pay attention to it. The 05 of course runs better but you aren't going to be out racing these things for the most part. They handle well, stop well and are fun to drive. The biggest draw back is if they are wrecked finding parts can be a challenge.

Being an SSR caretaker you will get a lot of questions, looks and fingers pointed at you. But that is part of the enjoyment of owning one.

#11 ·
Tabloma, All the above is good advise, and---Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive when you get one. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

--Also if you haven't yet, go to "FORUMS", "SSRFanatics News & Polls", click "New Member section", click "Post New Thread" and introduce Yourself!!

And, if you decide on a "Lifetime or Premium" Membership, you will get more benefits and no ads!? and show appreciation for tips and help. Click "Get Premium" under the Red Banner, read and compare the Advantages!!

Nick & Kathy

#12 ·
I went through a lot of research and test drives before buying an SSR in early April of this year from @tennesseecozydog

My notes are:
1. Join the ssrfanatics and read the technical section, this will give you a good view into what can and will break and how to fix it.
2. realize that these are fairly reliable trucks with parts still available
3. test drive 03-04 and test drive 05-06, see if you notice a difference, that will tell you if you need to look for a specific year.
4. visit for sale section and pick the truck you like, make a deal!
5. enjoy the permagrin

feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

#13 ·
I am a retired mechanic / collision repair tech so I know what to look for in that regard.
I've noticed that there haven't been many "specific issues" mentioned yet, and that's mostly because issues are generally fairly uncommon or even rare.
There are certain things that are chronic among various trucks, (such as ignition switches, window regulators or smaller things like the wire adapter leading to the bed of the truck.)

Don't get me wrong, having something wrong with the truck is never good, but if you get one, even one that has a few problems, the family here will stop at nothing to get you back up to 100%, to the best of their ability. If you're retired from piecing vehicles back together, you already have a one up on a good portion of the family.

There are a few places on the truck that could use upgrades or stabilization, but there are Fanatics who produce and sell the upgrades, (higher quality than other off brands) and other Fanatics who helped build a thorough library of anything and everything about the construction and common problems of our trucks.

If you buy a truck and it has an issue, it is more than likely combed through and has repair instructions step by step on the forum, courtesy of Dicktator.

Buy the truck and make your life better.
I dare you.

#14 ·
Folks that look at or own a Corvette their biggest complaints are:
1. Hard to get in and out of.
2. Ride rough.
3. No place to carry any luggage or anything else.
4. Everybody has one.

Your Chevy SSR will not have any of these problems. Enjoy.

#15 ·
Thanks everyone!!! Already drove a 6.0 Aqua Blur , it was very nice! I have a 5.3 to drive next with very low miles but the condition of the Aqua Blur one will be hard to beat. The 5.3 one the guy said he would run it through an automatic car wash before I come to see it? I didn’t think it would fit with 295’s??? Thanks again to all, btw is there a place to connect an IPod to the factory stereo?

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone!!! Already drove a 6.0 Aqua Blur , it was very nice! I have a 5.3 to drive next with very low miles but the condition of the Aqua Blur one will be hard to beat. The 5.3 one the guy said he would run it through an automatic car wash before I come to see it�� I didn’t think it would fit with 295’s??? Thanks again to all, btw is there a place to connect an IPod to the factory stereo?
I have been told a regular car wash that has a track will not work as the SSR track and tires are too wide. It is also too low and you don't want any of those swirling brushes rubbing on it. I do my own but I did some checking around town and found a new state of the art touchless car wash that I have used.
1. You pull up to the garage door and pay with credit card in teller type machine outside the bay.
2. A garage door opens.
3. You drive in and a red light tells you when to stop. No track for tires. You stay in the vehicle.
4. There are no brushes or anything that touches the vehicle.
5. There is a series of washes from foam, to undercarriage , to tires and wheels, to rinse, wax, clear coat, spot free rinse etc. about 10 different stages on a framework that goes around your vehicle.
6. When everything is rinsed the blower comes on and it goes until dry.
7. Then the garage door ahead of you automatically opens and you drive out and it looks awesome.

Takes just a few minutes for $10.00. They have vacuums in the parking lot if you want to do the inside. Just look around in your town they may have one.

#16 ·
One other thing, the one I test drove today, the battery charge gauge showed almost 15 volts, is that normal how the gauge responds, should be 13.9 to 14.3 usually. Thanks!

#20 ·
The center console gauges are not very accurate. Put a voltmeter at the battery jump port under the hood and again at the rear directly on the battery, then compare to gauges and what normal is and you will see what I am saying.

#24 · (Edited)
You have been given a lot of good info/advice
Over the 3+ years of the build there were upgrades in some of the problem areas.
- ignition switch upgrade (03/04/early 05 had issues)
- inside door release mechanism was made sturdier during mid-late MY2005 build (03/04/early 05 had issues)
- the earlier models had less hand room when door closed to operate seat controls
further on this, the storage area in the door was enlarged making it more functional
- OEM chrome wheels introduced about 4.1.2004 during MY2004 build

There are lots more I am sure, but I don't agree that 05/06 have more gremlins - probably the opposite but the 6sp clutch stuff adds to the possibilities
I owned a 2005 auto and a 2006 6sp - found I wasn't driving the automatic anymore so parted with it, but Auto/6sp is personal taste, just not available w/5.3L MY03/04

I have never driven a 5.3L, but obviously, there are a ton of owners that are very happy with them
For most owners the SSR is just a nice cruiser - 6sp is more fun for some of us (as long as the left knee & hip are still functioning!) HaHa!

My opinion on RPO's to look for:
- 14P chrome wheels
- BVE BVF satin or body colour boards
- ERG ERH satin or body colour gauges
- ERK - carpeted cargo area

Most SSR owners take good care of them, but obviously, there are the exceptions.
Find one in excellent condition, lower mileage, well optioned, and hopefully with Simple Engineering upgrades.
Don't settle - one will come along.

#25 ·
Also don't be afraid of what some call higher mileage trucks. Both of mine have over 100,000 miles and going strong. If they were owned by people who liked to drive them and kept up on them they are a good bargain. What I find funny is what is high mileage on an SSR people would kill to find the same year and mileage on something like a Silverado truck. Again if they are taken care of they can be a great deal.

#30 ·
By low mileage, I did not necessarily mean garage queen - 30,40k the kinks should be ironed out
60k, you probably should figure you are in it for the long haul

Also an opinion - if you want some of the options, chrome wheels, boards, gauges, carpet find one with the options you want as it will be a lot cheaper than adding them later.
Most of the stuff, including the Simple Engineering improvements, really help to sell an SSR, but like anything, you don't get your money back on resale if you have to purchase them
Ideal buy would be a well-priced full load (any year**) with 30-40k and a bunch of Mike's stuff already installed

** MY03 & the first 6500 MY04's did not have chrome wheels and up to MY2004 #9600 did not have gauges
Carpets & boards available all years

#31 ·
I am in a northwest suburb of Chicago

Looks like I am picking up a RED 13k mile one next week, it looks to have nearly every option.

Its at a Chevy dealer I know, would I be crazy to get it next week and take it on a 2500 mile trip the week after on the Hot Rod Power Tour. How significant is the cooling fan issues?
I dont want to get to Charlotte and have cooling fan issues.
How hard is it to change the battery, I have a lift so getting up is easy.
Thanks!!

#32 ·
Looks like I am buying a 13K mile SSR next week.
How significant is the cooling fan issues?
Would it be unwise to take it on a 2500 mile ride on the Hot Rod Power Tour the week after I get it?
Once the truck is lifted up, how difficult is changing the battery?
Thanks!!

I am in the northwest suburbs of Chicago

#33 ·
CONGRATULATIONS , What year, color etc. are you getting? Are you sure it has the original fan still? If it has a Shroud around the fan , it already has Mike's fan. If it is still the original, order one from Mike today cause it is just a matter of time till it fails - mine died at 11000 miles! If it is running fine now you can take off in it and maybe it will be OK but it is just a matter of time before an original fails, for peace of mind , I'd change it!
As for the battery , if you are jacking it to change it, the battery is quite heavy to lift on your back and over your head, not difficult to change, just HEAVY if you are old and out of shape. If it is on a lift, it's still heavy but much more manageable . Hope this helps.

#35 ·
Did some research and figured out Interstate is about the best battery out there. If you go to an official Interstate shop they will store all your computer information and clean the cables and put in the new battery for no charge. Just an idea if you are intimidated by doing it your self. Good luck. As far as the trip I am jealous. Just make sure you have roadside car care insurance and this website available for help if needed. All states have folks that could help if needed. Just go on the trip and have a ball.

#36 ·
Agreed on Interstate batteries. I know there are a lot of Optima and fans of others out there, but based on quality build and hundreds of reviews, Interstate kept coming out on top when I was researching last year. Plus they have a very large retail footprint so you can get warranty service almost anywhere if needed.

Costco (at least in our area) sells and installs Interstate batteries for a very good price. I don't know if Costco plugs your info into Interstate's database but I think you can still go online and register your battery yourself.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.