Thinking about buying a SSR...need advice - Page 2 - Chevy SSR Forum
 66Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicago Northwest Suburb
Posts: 17


My SSR:
2005 Aqua Blur
I am in a northwest suburb of Chicago

Looks like I am picking up a RED 13k mile one next week, it looks to have nearly every option.

Its at a Chevy dealer I know, would I be crazy to get it next week and take it on a 2500 mile trip the week after on the Hot Rod Power Tour. How significant is the cooling fan issues?
I dont want to get to Charlotte and have cooling fan issues.
How hard is it to change the battery, I have a lift so getting up is easy.
Thanks!!
Tabloma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicago Northwest Suburb
Posts: 17


My SSR:
2005 Aqua Blur
Looks like I am buying a 13K mile SSR next week.
How significant is the cooling fan issues?
Would it be unwise to take it on a 2500 mile ride on the Hot Rod Power Tour the week after I get it?
Once the truck is lifted up, how difficult is changing the battery?
Thanks!!

I am in the northwest suburbs of Chicago
Tabloma is offline  
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 AM
BLU SSR
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
SSReplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Quincy Illinois
Posts: 867


My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabloma View Post
Looks like I am buying a 13K mile SSR next week.
How significant is the cooling fan issues?
Would it be unwise to take it on a 2500 mile ride on the Hot Rod Power Tour the week after I get it?
Once the truck is lifted up, how difficult is changing the battery?
Thanks!!

I am in the northwest suburbs of Chicago
CONGRATULATIONS , What year, color etc. are you getting? Are you sure it has the original fan still? If it has a Shroud around the fan , it already has Mike's fan. If it is still the original, order one from Mike today cause it is just a matter of time till it fails - mine died at 11000 miles! If it is running fine now you can take off in it and maybe it will be OK but it is just a matter of time before an original fails, for peace of mind , I'd change it!
As for the battery , if you are jacking it to change it, the battery is quite heavy to lift on your back and over your head, not difficult to change, just HEAVY if you are old and out of shape. If it is on a lift, it's still heavy but much more manageable . Hope this helps.
richsadams likes this.
SSReplay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:56 AM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member
 
richsadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 181


My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabloma View Post
Looks like I am buying a 13K mile SSR next week.
How significant is the cooling fan issues?
Would it be unwise to take it on a 2500 mile ride on the Hot Rod Power Tour the week after I get it?
Once the truck is lifted up, how difficult is changing the battery?
Thanks!!

I am in the northwest suburbs of Chicago
Congratulations! You'll soon have that permagrin everyone here talks about.

Battery, fan and a ton of other SSR parts and repair info can be found in superstar SSRFanatic member Dicktator's library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Hope you can sleep at night until she's in your garage!

Cheers,

Rich


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richsadams is offline  
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:58 AM
BAD BOW TIE
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Auggie Doggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sturgis, South Dakota
Posts: 7,881


My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Did some research and figured out Interstate is about the best battery out there. If you go to an official Interstate shop they will store all your computer information and clean the cables and put in the new battery for no charge. Just an idea if you are intimidated by doing it your self. Good luck. As far as the trip I am jealous. Just make sure you have roadside car care insurance and this website available for help if needed. All states have folks that could help if needed. Just go on the trip and have a ball.
07turbo and richsadams like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Auggie Doggie is offline  
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:09 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member
 
richsadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 181


My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
Did some research and figured out Interstate is about the best battery out there. If you go to an official Interstate shop they will store all your computer information and clean the cables and put in the new battery for no charge. Just an idea if you are intimidated by doing it your self. Good luck. As far as the trip I am jealous. Just make sure you have roadside car care insurance and this website available for help if needed. All states have folks that could help if needed. Just go on the trip and have a ball.
Agreed on Interstate batteries. I know there are a lot of Optima and fans of others out there, but based on quality build and hundreds of reviews, Interstate kept coming out on top when I was researching last year. Plus they have a very large retail footprint so you can get warranty service almost anywhere if needed.

Costco (at least in our area) sells and installs Interstate batteries for a very good price. I don't know if Costco plugs your info into Interstate's database but I think you can still go online and register your battery yourself.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Cheers,

Rich


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richsadams is offline  
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Batavia Ohio
Posts: 129


My SSR:
05 redline
Congrats on your purchase. You won't regret it.
cincyssr is online now  
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
sbubbaklein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: House Springs, Mo
Posts: 875


My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow, 2005 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
been on power tour several times. make sure you visit all of the booths and get lots of free stuff. take some return address labels for all of the cards you have to address.

2004 SSR, slingshot yellow, automatic, 113K miles, 2005 smoking asphalt, automatic, 16k miles, lots of SE parts incl tire kit, heat shield, rear frame stiffener,
sbubbaklein is online now  
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:23 PM
BAD BOW TIE
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Auggie Doggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sturgis, South Dakota
Posts: 7,881


My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Agreed on Interstate batteries. I know there are a lot of Optima and fans of others out there, but based on quality build and hundreds of reviews, Interstate kept coming out on top when I was researching last year. Plus they have a very large retail footprint so you can get warranty service almost anywhere if needed.

Costco (at least in our area) sells and installs Interstate batteries for a very good price. I don't know if Costco plugs your info into Interstate's database but I think you can still go online and register your battery yourself.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Like you said a lot of guys like Optima and that was what I was going to get but they evidently changed ownership and their batteries are not what they used to be. Lots of trouble with the red or yellow tops. The other thing that is almost a gotta have is a battery tender plus and plug your SSR in whenever it is not in use. The SSR needs optimum power to run all the computers and the top etc. Some folks have noticed their battery is dead in a few days to a week.
mikebike and richsadams like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Auggie Doggie is offline  
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pasadena TX
Posts: 60


My SSR:
Diablo tune,Magnaflo exh,KNfilter, gagesblue and new,mike cool fan
It may look fast and have a Great Corvette inspired engine but it weighs 6000 lbs so don’t expect it to perform like one
Cruzemissle is offline  
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 33


My SSR:
04 Smkn Asphlt and 05 Aqua Blur
Garage
I too wonder where you're located. If you're anywhere nearby (greater Seattle) I've got an 04 Smokin Asphalt for sale (see SSR For Sale on this site) that I would be happy to show you and that has most of the upgrades to resolve the issues the respondents have mentioned. I'm going to presume that you're not in the Pacific Northwest, because you mentioned that you've had or arranged test drives and there aren't really very many R's available for sale in this neck of the woods. Anyway, as has been mentioned by numerous respondents, this site/forum has quite a few listings nationally and as you acquire more information you'll also determine what options and upgrades you'll be looking for and, at that point, be confident that you'll be able to find that R among those listed herein. It's a kick to drive these rigs, especially because heads always turn. I guarantee that every time you take her out for a spin you'll get - AT LEAST - one thumbs up from someone with a nice ride of his/her own. It's always gratifying. And, you've now had a bit of exposure to the SSR Fanatic community. I can't imagine that you're not impressed. This is an awesome group and I don't believe there's anything related to SSR's that you can't find on this site and from these enthusiasts. Good luck.
Nape is offline  
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:57 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
tennesseecozydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Posts: 6,679


My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzemissle View Post
It may look fast and have a Great Corvette inspired engine but it weighs 6000 lbs so donít expect it to perform like one
Cruzemissle ???
tennesseecozydog is offline  
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:14 PM
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
xoxoxoBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DelCo, PA
Posts: 8,643


My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzemissle View Post
It may look fast and have a Great Corvette inspired engine but it weighs 6000 lbs so don’t expect it to perform like one
A little high, with a full tank and my fat a... er, uh, big boned body, closer to 5,000 lbs.
Corvettes will be faster but most people buy Corvettes to be seen and envied. To be seen they must go slow, and damn few Corvettes will attract the attention of an SSR.
BlueStreak and richsadams like this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
xoxoxoBruce is offline  
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:40 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Flassh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Summerland, B.C.
Posts: 9,091


My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzemissle View Post
It may look fast and have a Great Corvette inspired engine but it weighs 6000 lbs so don’t expect it to perform like one
It weighs about 4800 lbs.with a full tank so a little off on your facts.

I have several friends with Corvettes, but I will take the SSR any day for a number of reasons. It rides a lot better than virtually any Corvette I've ridden in, which seem to run a similar suspension to a go kart. I can also get in and out of an SSR a lot easier, and so can my wife, who said over her dead body would I be getting another Corvette.

When I park at a car show, it gets a lot more attention than the Corvettes do - partly because there's so damned many of them.


Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all




00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flassh is offline  
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Moncton,NB,Canada
Posts: 5


looking at a 2006

Hi everyone. Its been awhile since I was on here.had bought a 2005 in Ontario back a couple of yrs ago and really enjoyed it. Out and about one day and I saw a nice shiny Audi TTRS. Traded the SSR and my camaro for the Audi which I subsequently kept only a year. I always missed my SSR. The chap who bought it has only put a few KMS on it. It has 18ooo KMS on it and is in perfect shape. He will sell it back to me for $7000 CDN more!!! Through research and some carnut buddies I was guided to a 70 yr old lady who has a 2006 Redline Red SSR. It has the fullCrome package ,automatic, carpeted with wood slats out back and side steps matching Redline Red.There were only 11 Redline Reds brought into Canada in 2006.I knew this lady when she bought it new 13 yrs ago. A friend of hers is selling it for her as she is a very private person and has always had 6-8 nice cars/trucks in her garage. Recently she sold her 1972 Corvette with less than 20 000 miles. This 06 Redline SSR has only 2400kms not 24000kms that's less than 1500 miles.I have only seen pictures of it. She started it regularly and changed the oil every year.Because it is nearly new she is asking $50000 CD(roughly $37200 US). I played hardball and played on the fact I knew her back then. I used to pump gas in her Vette!! when I was in high school. I told her I would only consider $42000. No word for 3 days then a text tonite says she will accept $42000CDN($31200 US). Its a lot of money but the car has less than 2500KMS and is optioned well I am going to look at it Tuesday night and decide within 24 hrs.I would think I should drain all the 13yr old fluids and install 4 new tires. Any suggestions/comments out there.
mikebike likes this.
Xcess is offline  
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:06 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
BlueStreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 25,859


My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcess View Post
Hi everyone. Its been awhile since I was on here.had bought a 2005 in Ontario back a couple of yrs ago and really enjoyed it. Out and about one day and I saw a nice shiny Audi TTRS. Traded the SSR and my camaro for the Audi which I subsequently kept only a year. I always missed my SSR. The chap who bought it has only put a few KMS on it. It has 18ooo KMS on it and is in perfect shape. He will sell it back to me for $7000 CDN more!!! Through research and some carnut buddies I was guided to a 70 yr old lady who has a 2006 Redline Red SSR. It has the fullCrome package ,automatic, carpeted with wood slats out back and side steps matching Redline Red.There were only 11 Redline Reds brought into Canada in 2006.I knew this lady when she bought it new 13 yrs ago. A friend of hers is selling it for her as she is a very private person and has always had 6-8 nice cars/trucks in her garage. Recently she sold her 1972 Corvette with less than 20 000 miles. This 06 Redline SSR has only 2400kms not 24000kms that's less than 1500 miles.I have only seen pictures of it. She started it regularly and changed the oil every year.Because it is nearly new she is asking $50000 CD(roughly $37200 US). I played hardball and played on the fact I knew her back then. I used to pump gas in her Vette!! when I was in high school. I told her I would only consider $42000. No word for 3 days then a text tonite says she will accept $42000CDN($31200 US). Its a lot of money but the car has less than 2500KMS and is optioned well I am going to look at it Tuesday night and decide within 24 hrs.I would think I should drain all the 13yr old fluids and install 4 new tires. Any suggestions/comments out there.

Welcome Back! Good luck to you. If you really want to continue this discussion you should start your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
BlueStreak is offline  
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicago Northwest Suburb
Posts: 17


My SSR:
2005 Aqua Blur
Ok, I bought a 2005 Aqua Blur with 33K seems like it was never a daily driver due to what I see on the bottom, Cooling fan has both speeds! Runs great! Heading out on the HOT ROD power tour next week.
Tabloma is offline  
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:10 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
BlueStreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 25,859


My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabloma View Post
Ok, I bought a 2005 Aqua Blur with 33K seems like it was never a daily driver due to what I see on the bottom, Cooling fan has both speeds! Runs great! Heading out on the HOT ROD power tour next week.
Good luck on the tour. Do not know where it is going this year but there are bound to be family along the way if you have issues they will get you on the road again if you ask.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
BlueStreak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome