Tie Downs for Chevy SSR on a Trailer - Chevy SSR Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Tie Downs for Chevy SSR on a Trailer

Chris and I recently purchased an aluminum 18 ft Shadow ( by Forrest River) trailer to tow Little Red to events where we don'rt want to place all the mileage on her like going to the International in Branson Mo in October.

What type of tie downs are the best for flat trailer use . The over the tire wheel type or the type that hooks on to the frame or undercarriage. If it the frame or undercarriage type where are the best suggest tie down points on the SSR underneath.

I have towed "farm Tractors" but have always used heavy log chains and binders for that job. What do you suggest for the SSR

Thanks in advance for your reply's

Layne12gun
North Florida..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:20 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
Over the tire much easier for sure I went to northern tool and bounght the yellow straps with loops on each end to use
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Layne make sure your hold downs on the trailer are up to the weight of the SSR and use good quality straps. Weather you go with straps that go over the tires or straps over the axles or to the frame make sure they are good quality. My personal preference is axle straps on the rear pulling right side to the right rear most point left rear to left rear most point and the front are criss crossed off the front control arms normally. That is how I tie down all my cars. I have never towed my SSRs I also leave my winch hooked to the vehicle and snug for a back up even if I drove the car on the trailer I will hook the winch cable for added security. Straps will flex a little and not damage a vehicle where chains can rip a frame or cause damage to the trailer. I also will load up, tie everything down then travel for a short distance then pull over and check my straps again. I also check my straps, tires and safety chains every time I stop.
James Dean and Auggie Doggie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhotrod View Post
Layne make sure your hold downs on the trailer are up to the weight of the SSR and use good quality straps. Weather you go with straps that go over the tires or straps over the axles or to the frame make sure they are good quality. My personal preference is axle straps on the rear pulling right side to the right rear most point left rear to left rear most point and the front are criss crossed off the front control arms normally. That is how I tie down all my cars. I have never towed my SSRs I also leave my winch hooked to the vehicle and snug for a back up even if I drove the car on the trailer I will hook the winch cable for added security. Straps will flex a little and not damage a vehicle where chains can rip a frame or cause damage to the trailer. I also will load up, tie everything down then travel for a short distance then pull over and check my straps again. I also check my straps, tires and safety chains every time I stop.

What brand or manufacturer of tie down do you choose to use. Thanks Pretty much the same way I tie down my tractors. The Trailer is a Forrest River shadow. Tie down are mounted in deck via bolts and recessed .
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:22 PM

My SSR:
I will check when I go out side but it is snowing and cold outside so it may not be today. I bought mine at the speed shop years ago and take good care of them. I have 2 complete sets. One for each trailer. I bought plastic tool boxes that I keep them in so that keeps them safe and together. The sun does the most damage to the material of the straps so try to keep them out of the sunlight when not in use. I see some people with keep them tied across their trailer when they are not in use and that is what does the most damage to them. The nylon breaks down from the UV rays.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:27 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
There was a post years ago where a guy actually tore a hole in the frame using chain tiedowns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
There was a post years ago where a guy actually tore a hole in the frame using chain tiedowns.
i heard about that also. Tore the frame. Im leaning toward the over the tire type . !!??
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:25 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
If I remember correctly it was towing or winching on a flatbed that tore the frame when they hooked into an un-reinforced lightening hole.

When trailering if you tie down the wheels or axles, the truck is still riding on it's suspension. That motion added to the movement of the trailer on it's suspension adds up. I've trailered '50s cars that got pretty wild, pitching side to side on uneven roads.
That said, the SSR suspension is pretty stiff and if the trailer suspension is also stiff it shouldn't be a problem.
BlueStreak likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:59 PM

My SSR:
Hey Layne I got around to checking my tie downs and there is no name on the metal parts but the straps have tags sewn on and only one was still legible but there was no name only made in USA. I looked at Jeg's and there are some made by Simpson and All Star like what I have. I use a pair of the ones with the axle straps built in and a pair with just the hooks on each end. But my primary use is hauling race cars, which are a lot lighter. My cars depending on which one is barely 3,000 pounds. The SSR is closer to 5,000 I think.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:14 PM
I DO WINDOWS

My SSR:
2003 #2393 black SB1 some-stuff-added
Drag car guys worry about shock wear do to heat from bouncing on trailer. CROSS STRAPS ON FRONT and on back, STRAPS GO BACK NOT CROSSED. Block under frame and pull frame down. The truck will be held tight to blocks with no suspension movement. Also the weight is fixed with trailer, no slosh like water in tank because the truck is not in motion on suspension, if tied down as I stated. Make sure you have three full wraps on each binder spool. Used straps over frame no hooks to frame. hooks to straps only.

Also, you need to lock down the blocking so it can not move out from under the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	straps.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	540623  

REBEL with a CAUSE and a LOADED AIRBRUSH!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
According to the manufacturer the proper way to tie the vehicle down is with T hooks. That's what is used when the cars are delivered new they say. The frame has slots made to accept these specialty hooks then use heavy straps from there to tie downs on the trailer. Just make sure the straps don't make contact with anything in between or they will cause damage to the truck or sever the strap. I had to install more D rings on my last trailer to avoid this. I used this set up from California to Oklahoma with no issues. Just check for tightness periodically.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL View Post
Drag car guys worry about shock wear do to heat from bouncing on trailer. CROSS STRAPS ON FRONT and on back, STRAPS GO BACK NOT CROSSED. Block under frame and pull frame down. The truck will be held tight to blocks with no suspension movement. Also the weight is fixed with trailer, no slosh like water in tank because the truck is not in motion on suspension, if tied down as I stated. Make sure you have three full wraps on each binder spool. Used straps over axle and front frame no hooks to frame. hooks to straps only.
I've used this method on other vehicles and it works just fine. Did mine over the axle and A arms though, better over the frame. Not that it probably matters but my wife following me has said that the vehicle bobs up and down over bumps though because the suspension is free to float with the weight of the truck. I now use T hooks to the frame even on other vehicles too.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 PM
I DO WINDOWS

My SSR:
Quote:
vehicle bobs up and down over bumps though because the suspension is free to float
This is why I say to block under the frame and then pull frame down. So (trailer blocking and truck) are all solid as one with no suspension travel. I use 4"x4" posts with what every 2x4s needed to fill the gap under the frame to the trailer. The big buck boys buy special rubber bladers that pump up with air under the framework. But I am a poor boy.

https://timmcamis.com/shop/chassis-stabilizer.html

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Those air bags are cool... maybe someday I can swing a pair of those at 300 bucks a pop.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:18 PM
I DO WINDOWS

My SSR:
Step maybe we can get a volume deal a poor boy special.
Stepchild likes this.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepchild View Post
I now use T hooks to the frame even on other vehicles too.
Are there T-hook slots at the rear of the frame?

Quote:
Make sure you have three full wraps on each binder spool.
What is the binder spool?

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:51 PM
I DO WINDOWS

My SSR:
Rachet type binder has a spool ... the picture shows a black spool that the webbing wraps around as it tightens. A good three wraps ensure the tail of the webbing will not slip out of the spool. You're just joking with me, aren't you?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	binder spool.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	540625  

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:33 AM

My SSR:
Those bladders are nice and when you compare the price of coil over shocks and springs they are cheap compared to what some drag racers spend on shock tuning. Towing has come a long way compared to home made tow bars to stacker trailers and totter homes. I thought I was doing good when I could afford a open trailer and a half ton pick up truck. When I got to an enclosed trailer and a diesel 3/4 ton crew cab I realized racing costs more than this poor boy wanted to spend.
REBEL likes this.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:59 AM
Tech Support/Research

Shipping Tie Down Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Are there T-hook slots at the rear of the frame?
Shipping tie-down points that are used with the T- hooks are located on the outside of the frame. The slots used for the rear are located just ahead of the rear wheels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	540627  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:56 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Got my T hooks on line for about ten bucks each from what I remember. Never too old to learn a new trick. After watching the video link from Rebel I now know that a bouncing car is not good at all. Even with tie points to the frame the car can still bounce without air bags or blocks. Probably why I have to retighten the straps for the first few hours of towing. Air bags are now on my wish list. And yea I admit... mine is sometimes a trailer queen, but mainly cause we prefer to travel in the motorhome with the R in the trailer.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
Rachet type binder has a spool ... the picture shows a black spool that the webbing wraps around as it tightens.
A good three wraps ensure the tail of the webbing will not slip out of the spool. You're just joking with me, aren't you?
No, didn't have my brain in gear, past my bedtime, phase of the moon.
Even though I have ratchet tie downs, for the reasons above I was thinking load binders.

Don't let them do this.
Tie Downs for Chevy SSR on a Trailer-frame_damage.jpg

If you print this it wouldn't take up much room in the glove box.
Telling the guy how to do his job is not the way to win friends and influence people.
However, if you hand him/her something on paper, they can read it and say, I knew that or just nod, and you are still in good graces.
Tie Downs for Chevy SSR on a Trailer-towpoints.jpg
I'm told there was an error in the first set of pictures I stole from previous threads, sorry about that.
To make amends I stole Stepchild's fresh pictures, so be sure to thank him.
Oh, the straps under the A-arm is for pulling it up on the rollback.
Hopefully you'll not need this information unless trailering.
Stepchild likes this.

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:28 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
I wish I had the technical skills to get the info I have posted to this thread. Regretfully I do not. The info was given to me via a thumb drive and I use an iPad for posting. Heck I don't even know how to provide a link to info like others do. Can you say old dog new tricks. The narrow slots are only big enough for the T hooks to insert sideways and are double walled. Once you recognize them you can find them on other vehicles too, I did with no other help... my Ford and GMC. Like the T hooks, Google is my resource.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 PM

My SSR:
One other thing that will be of importance is what the trailer is set up for. If it is set up for tire tie downs or for straps will be a big deciding factor as well. The OP said it is an aluminum trailer so the floor will most likely have some extra bracing for the tie downs and that will play a big roll in what to use as important as the straps them selves.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:58 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
So while sitting here watching the race at Daytona I realized I do know how to post pictures, so I took some of the rear then front frame slots, the T hook and ratchet strap, and the T hook hanging in a slot. Rear slot is in front of the rear tire, front slot behind front tire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1308.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	540683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1309.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	540685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1310.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	540687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1311.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	540689  
REBEL and BlueStreak like this.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:53 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
Heck I don't even know how to provide a link to info like others do. Can you say old dog new tricks.
Woof Woof
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	postingalink.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	540695  
Stepchild likes this.

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
There are MORE incorrect pictures for tie down locations than CORRECT ones on the SSRFanatic site..... Stepchild's pictures show some of the correct T slot locations.
Are there more than 4 T-slots or are you referring to other locations like the rear axle which are safe to tie down?

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Are there more than 4 T-slots or are you referring to other locations like the rear axle which are safe to tie down?
Good question, I thought there were two sets up front but could only find one set last night. I think I got it mixed up with my van. And now I can't find the pics on my thumb drive either, oh my.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:48 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Good question, I thought there were two sets up front but could only find one set last night. I think I got it mixed up with my van. And now I can't find the pics on my thumb drive either, oh my.
I found this among the items I have collected over the years and carry in my . I managed to store it on my computer as well. Wish I could say where I got it but not sure. Looks like there are 6 slots.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SSR Towing Instructions.pdf (168.0 KB, 28 views)
TruckNRod likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:12 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 PAC blue woody
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I found this among the items I have collected over the years and carry in my . I managed to store it on my computer as well. Wish I could say where I got it but not sure. Looks like there are 6 slots.
There we go I ain't going crazy then, well maybe. Those are the pics I remember seeing. Had to stand on my head to find that front one again but it's there.
BlueStreak likes this.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
There we go I ain't going crazy then, well maybe. Those are the pics I remember seeing. Had to stand on my head to find that front one again but it's there.
I never doubted you, just had to find proof it was not me going crazy.
Stepchild likes this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in