Time for Tires - Page 2 - Chevy SSR Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Remember RSAs are only rated for 130 mph.
TXNSSR and Auggie Doggie like this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 02:25 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

Looks pretty good, obviously plenty of room in fender well on front while turning with those tire sizes. Was not quite sure if your ride has been lowered or not.??
Think my ride may be lower than yours in the front for sure. Take a look at these two shots I took today. Measurement from top center fender well opening to top of chrome wheel rim is approx 3.5". This is with stock tire setup now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ssrwheel2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	489050   Click image for larger version

Name:	ssrwheel1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	489058  
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:06 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

Unless you have V rated like I do. They are rated at 149 MPH. I remind you I would not be in it at 149 MPH. Just sayin. Have a good one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 08:48 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodman View Post
Do these tire size changes have any effect on the speedometer or gas mileage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAW View Post
Yes, different sized tires will effect your speedometer. There are charts I've seen that will tell you how much it will change between those sizes. I would think no significant fuel milage changes...

Re: speed - My observation with my Nav unit in the SSR, and Nav in several other vehicles, is the trailing edge of the speedo needle is the more accurate reflection of the actual vehicle speed. I believe the manufacturers do this to give you the driver a little room for error. I could totally be wrong.

Re: gas mileage - Likely negligible unless big changes are made. That said, wider tires will increase the rotational drag and actually increase the wind drag (even though it is under the vehicle). Both will cut into gas mileage, all things being equal. Narrower tires cut the wind and offer less rolling resistance (e.g. Prius), and are less likely to hydroplane, again all things being equal. My right foot has more to do with the mileage than the additional tire width. I've got an Excel spreadsheet charting mileage over the years, and if there were longer highway trips. When I do something to the Elsie, my mileage goes down for a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtiimer View Post
What PSI are you running, front and rear? From your pics it looks like sidewall on front tire is low. Can you measure and post the dimensions of the sidewalls top and bottom? My tires also look lower in the front with 38PSI all around.

Paul
Re: PSI - They were low at 31PSI. That said, my son dropped the gauge so I'm skeptical of it. I typically run 35-36PSI. I'll get a better feel on my gauge after the new rears are put on tomorrow.

Re: dimensions - see below, I measured at current pressure.

Quote:
Think my ride may be lower than yours in the front for sure. Take a look at these two shots I took today. Measurement from top center fender well opening to top of chrome wheel rim is approx 3.5". This is with stock tire setup now.
Yours does look lower. 1in? I couldn't tell the actual height in your picture, too fuzzy (24” monitors and computer glasses didn't help). I'd almost question if yours was lowered. Mine has stock springs and replacement Bilsteins via Mike in AZ (who is awesome).

You can see Elsie, the only in relation to a few others in post #8 here: https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f36/...akfast-230578/

The lowered ones stand out to me. I believe most in the pic were running RSAs.

Here are a bunch of measurements, which should help y'all sort things out. I made the measurements in the relatively level garage, with a minor slope toward the front wheels. The measurements are from the passenger side. I used 2' 1x4s to get the width and height of the tires, I didn't put a level on them, just eye balled it. Elsie had 3/4 a tank (of premium). She is an auto, which I think seem to ride higher in the rear.

The lower shock mount measurements will enable checking my tire height vs others as it contributes to ride height and the frame measurements will help workout spring height differences.

Enjoy.
- Robert

Fronts: 275/40ZR19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, 31PSI (too low) < 1000 miles since new
Front wheel well height: 28 1/4"
Front tire height (at the crown in middle of tread): 26 5/8"
Front tire top sidewall height: 3 1/2"
Front tire bottom sidewall height: 3 1/16"
Front tire width, at hall height of the wheel: 10 1/16"
Front tire width, on ground (including sidewall bulge): 10 1/2" (width at 35PSI, 10 3/8”)
Ground to lowest point on lower shock mount (wheels straight): 6 1/2"h
Ground to "skid pad" in front of lower control arm mount: 5 3/4"

Rears: 315/35ZR20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, 31 PSI (too low), > 10K miles, badly checked sidewalls (outdoor girl and the cover, only covers half the wheels).
Rear wheel well height: 30 1/2" (brand new tires at 35PSI = 30 5/8”)
Rear tire height (at the crown in middle of tread): 28 1/8" (brand new tires at 35 PSI = 28 1/4”)
Rear tire top sidewall height: 3 1/2"
Rear tire bottom sidewall height: 3 1/4"
Rear tire width, at half height of the wheel: 12 1/4"
Rear tire width, on ground (including sidewall bulge): 12 1/2" (brand new tires at 35 PSI = 12 1/4”)
Ground to lowest point on lower shock mount: 8"
Ground to lower control arm mount on frame: 7"
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 09:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
FYI: Another group is discussing the same thing, taking measurements, over here: https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f4/s...pening-232954/

By some measurements, mine is a tad lower in the front.
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
Unless you have V rated like I do. They are rated at 149 MPH. I remind you I would not be in it at 149 MPH. Just sayin. Have a good one.
So you didn't go with the factory tires.
TXNSSR likes this.

post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 09:25 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
So you didn't go with the factory tires.
LOL... you are killing me
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 04:28 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Updated a couple measurements below that changed with the new rears and 35PSI all around.
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:30 PM
LKMURKY

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Bruce:
I Have Continental Cross Contact on the 04, they have 16000 miles on them, Not really satisfied with the wear on them. They tend to roll a bit in the corners, and they are not wearing like I'd like them too, & I can hear them on the road. Discount tires told me in year 2016 they could not get them reliably anymore, & mine have a 2014 date stamp.
My 06 has Firestone Firehawks, they are new. Can't hear them, they are tight in the same corners where the 04 on the Continentals tends to roll.
All that being said, I'm not likely to be driving my SSR more than 130mph, and not too many of the guys here will either.
Cary
LKMURKY
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:39 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
There are tons of tire choices I have not tried so can't comment on them, but I went through two sets of RSAs(the 2nd set because I got a deal on a spare set of rims with very low mileage RSAs on them). I couldn't wait to get them off. They were surprisingly good in snow, but I worried about the driver in front might be chewing tobacco and if he spit out the window it would spin me out.

The Continental Extreme Contacts stick like glue wet or dry. They can be noisy on some surfaces, but aren't showing any wear.

As far at the 130 mph, anyone who has a tune from Jeremy or Left Coast probably had the 130 speed restriction from the factory removed. When running fast on and open road it's amazing how fast you can get to 130 and beyond. When I'm passing and suddenly opposing traffic appears, I'm not looking at the speedometer and don't care how fast I'm going, I just stay on it.
Your mileage may vary.
TXNSSR and Auggie Doggie like this.

post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 04:02 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
There are tons of tire choices I have not tried so can't comment on them, but I went through two sets of RSAs(the 2nd set because I got a deal on a spare set of rims with very low mileage RSAs on them). I couldn't wait to get them off. They were surprisingly good in snow, but I worried about the driver in front might be chewing tobacco and if he spit out the window it would spin me out.

The Continental Extreme Contacts stick like glue wet or dry. They can be noisy on some surfaces, but aren't showing any wear.

As far at the 130 mph, anyone who has a tune from Jeremy or Left Coast probably had the 130 speed restriction from the factory removed. When running fast on and open road it's amazing how fast you can get to 130 and beyond. When I'm passing and suddenly opposing traffic appears, I'm not looking at the speedometer and don't care how fast I'm going, I just stay on it.
Your mileage may vary.

Well, it's new tire time for me and after all these posts/threads....I've kinda boiled it down to a choice between the Michelin Pilot Super Sports with the front as 275/40ZR 19 and rear as 315/35ZR 20. or

The Continentals (not sure if DWS or DWS 06) and same size on rear as above, but one of you posted 255/50 ZR 19 for the front.

I like the "stance" of my ride with the current "stock" tires. It is lowered and I don't want to alter the stance. Guess the (Aspect ratio) would hardly be noticeable, but if I chose the Continentals, I'm not sure why I shouldn't look for a (40) versus a (50) and the wider 275 versus 255.

Feedback on the above appreciated plus anyone having had negotiated their (tire buys on-line). I'm having a hard time seeing how the..........buy it on line "deal" works out, when ya gotta engage a local dealer to do the swap.
post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 04:29 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I'd call the install tire dealer and get their price out the door for purchase and installation. Then lower/raise your voice call them back and ask them what they charge to install tires you purchased from the on-line tire co. Compare the prices and you've got your answer. I didn't do this (duh) so I may have paid more than I should have.

Dave
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 04:44 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:

Well, it's new tire time for me and after all these posts/threads....I've kinda boiled it down to a choice between the Michelin Pilot Super Sports with the front as 275/40ZR 19 and rear as 315/35ZR 20. or

The Continentals (not sure if DWS or DWS 06) and same size on rear as above, but one of you posted 255/50 ZR 19 for the front.

I like the "stance" of my ride with the current "stock" tires. It is lowered and I don't want to alter the stance. Guess the (Aspect ratio) would hardly be noticeable, but if I chose the Continentals, I'm not sure why I shouldn't look for a (40) versus a (50) and the wider 275 versus 255.

Feedback on the above appreciated plus anyone having had negotiated their (tire buys on-line). I'm having a hard time seeing how the..........buy it on line "deal" works out, when ya gotta engage a local dealer to do the swap.
Tire rack will ship to NTB or Discount or wherever. When I did it, they would not ship to me. Those places will charge you a flat fee for mounting and balancing.

At least that is what happened when I did it.

Agree with @Guzzi Guy . Call around, then get your significant other to do the same a few days later.

Discount Tire's invoices identify me as Kim. (she got the slightly better quote a while back)

- Robert
post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
the rear Stock 295/40R20 Dia s/b 29.29 X 11.61 W
the front 255/45R19 Dia 28.00X 10.04 W
I went Front 255/50R19 @ 29.04 X 10.04 .... no harm, no foul ... because the tread pattern would match front and rear.
I've ordered half dozen times from https://www.performanceplustire.com/ free shipping to my door. I also have used their quoted prices to "price match" the local tire shops while I was on-the-road and needed "New".
Be Sure to check the Load Range, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:49 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
I think the Michelins will be an excellent choice. I love mine.

Remember that these are summer tires. Don't drive them where they will be below freezing. They get hard and loose their grip.

IMO

Dave
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 05:54 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rasmussen View Post
I think the Michelins will be an excellent choice. I love mine.

Remember that these are summer tires. Don't drive them where they will be below freezing. They get hard and loose their grip.

IMO

Dave

I love mine as well and they work well in the wet.

It does drop below freezing here in Houston occasionally and when it drops below 40F I drive gingerly.
-Robert
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:01 PM

My SSR:
2005 Black Automatic
I suggest keeping the same size tires. Contrary to popular belief GM engineers spend a lot of time setting up the suspension systems on all their high performance vehicles including the trucks. Remember the SSR is a "truck" and also weighs (the base model anyway) around 4700 lbs. That's a lot of weight for "cheap" rubber to handle. Make sure you get tires rated for trucks and the weight.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
I'm not sure why I shouldn't look for a (40) versus a (50) and the wider 275 versus 255.
I don't think you'll ever know the reason why, because I don't think there is one. Personal choice... taking into account how you drive, the roads you travel, the look you want, what you want to spend, ad infinitum.
TXNSSR likes this.

post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:23 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow bear View Post
the rear Stock 295/40R20 Dia s/b 29.29 X 11.61 W
the front 255/45R19 Dia 28.00X 10.04 W
I went Front 255/50R19 @ 29.04 X 10.04 .... no harm, no foul ... because the tread pattern would match front and rear.
I've ordered half dozen times from https://www.performanceplustire.com/ free shipping to my door. I also have used their quoted prices to "price match" the local tire shops while I was on-the-road and needed "New".
Be Sure to check the Load Range, too.
"Be Sure to check the Load Range, too.[/QUOTE]"

I gotta admit I never really gave this particular spec any real attention. Hell, I've bought tires for my trucks and cars and this never came up. The tires on my 4WD trucks are obviously truck tires.......and the car tires are car tires. I looked up (load range) and it showed a separate category for (light trucks). I see no designation on the side of the "stock" SSR tires that tells me it is a truck tire.

Are not the brands/sizes/speed rating level tires we have largely been discussing all of a sufficiently (safe) "load rating/range for the weight of an SSR ??????????
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Most of the vehicles using the tires we tend to buy are much lighter. You need tires with a minimum load index of 95, more is better because when you're driving the dynamic forces are even higher than the static force(weight) on each tire.

post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:27 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Really good points @xoxoxoBruce

I did the research long ago and forgot. Some of the tires I considered did not have the load rating to handle our little beasts. There was a Michelin with similar specs that fell into this category as well. I don't recall exactly what it was, but it was ~$50 a tire cheaper.

Hence I "settled" on the Pilot Super Sports.

For the tires I'm using Tirerack has them listed as the following:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/40ZR19 (105Y) XL
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 315/35ZR20 (110Y) XL K1 Ferrari

The parenthetical, brackets for those north of the thick black line, is the load rating and the speed rating. Y = 186mph/300kph
The XL stands for Extra Load with a max load pressure of 41 psi (280 kPa)

Country of Origin: Fronts are from the US, Rears are from France. Lot's of reading out there on Tirerack

@moscooter , for clarity I checked my sidewalls, they match what is posted here.

- Ferrari means, I'll be able to go faster.. right? Anybody got a flat plane crank, harmonic balancer, some software updates for the firing order?... But then I'd need a 6spd just to hear her rev.

Nah, I'll stick with what I got.

- Robert
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Ferrari are OEM for Ferrari GTO.

If you have a choice get the K2 not the K1. They have more tread by quite a lot.

IMO

Dave
TXNSSR likes this.
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:30 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Phantom Black Metallic 05, 6.0 liter S.C. auto, Rear spoiler,Air Dam, Kooks headers,
Garage
Just an FYI, after Joe tuned my R he told me that he removed the speed restriction and now my new limit was 319 miles per hour. Maybe out the back of a C-130 at 15000 ft into a Cat 5 Hurricane with a medium size rocket in the bed and someone else sittin in the driver's seat!!!!
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 01:50 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2003 "Ilsa" with many mods for strip and track.
How wide can I go on the front tires with a lowered R?

My other vehicle is a
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 03:47 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achias View Post
How wide can I go on the front tires with a lowered R?

IDK, but Iíll say this... if memory serves... my fronts tires are about 1Ē wider than stock and about 1/2Ē taller. My R is stock height and Iíve never rubbed.

Now for another actual measurement, the closest point of contact with my fronts at full lock is 1Ē from the outer corner of the tire to the front of the inner splash guard. Iím not too concerned if I lower my R an inch as the circumference of the splash guard and fender doesnít tighten up that much in that distance.

Pics of my tires are in post #24 of this thread, with one at full lock. Judge for yourself.
- Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in