LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Ricochet Silver Vanity Plate GURLZTOY
Garage
Cool Transporting My R

In a few months I will be moving from NY to GA.
Interested in getting some recommendation on using a Car Carrier to transport my R. The Car carrier could be open or closed.

Any comments or company recommendations are welcome.

Thank You, and looking forward to some warmer days !!

Code:
L S G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Tech Support/Research
Lifetime Supporting Member

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Might be cheaper and more fun to store it a couple of months and drive it down in the summer yourself. Sounds like most folks have had a nightmare with the shipping aspect. Do your research. Good luck.
04 PurpleHaze likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:55 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Agree Auggie Doggie we just moved to TN.from Florida and never gave it a thought to have the truck transported. Not sure of your circumstances Linda we didn't have a house picked out before moving as a matter of fact we sold our house in one day so moved into a townhouse up here. Just made sure it had a garage and then looked for our house. Good luck on your move. Don't be afraid to drive it.
mtr317 likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:22 PM
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Mazzy, 04 Silver, Custom Side Pipes, Flames on Doors, and One Sweet Looking @$$!!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda S G View Post
Interested in getting some recommendation on using a Car Carrier to transport my R. The Car carrier could be open or closed.

Where you planning to live in GA.
We always have room for one more Ricochet!!
Ruckzuck and PokerGuy like this.

..."We live in fame or go down in flame."
(Hey! Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 auqa blue automatic
I used passport transport purchased in tenn. Had shipped to Colorado.
They did a excellent job except it took them a month to pick the truck up.
They did compensate me in the price
The delay was due to illness of driver.
Would use again, enclosed transport.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:05 PM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Have you researched the Amtrak Train, Linda?

Growing up in Northern Virginia many years ago, the train was a great way to leisurely travel down to the Orlando area with a vehicle tagging along as baggage.

Possibly they still offer that service?

! ! ! ! ! !

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:09 PM

I bought my own trailer to transport my SSR. Its an open trailer. Lightning 18 foot aluminum by Forest River. Twin axles . Electric brakes Pull it behind my expedition. Use Vulcan tie down straps.

its full insured as a collector car. The trailer was about $6,500. and i use it for my ATV's also . Also u haul rents car trailers. However you need to watch for stone dings as the trailers set low. But if its yours you will take better care of it than an company will ..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOPHUS View Post
Have you researched the Amtrak Train, Linda?

Growing up in Northern Virginia many years ago, the train was a great way to leisurely travel down to the Orlando area with a vehicle tagging along as baggage.

Possibly they still offer that service?

! ! ! ! ! !
I know that is an option from Washington, DC, if it is not interrupted by a hurricane having torn up the tracks (don't ask).
DOOPHUS likes this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:32 PM
Georgia SSRers

My SSR:
#1 SMOKING ASPHALT, #2 ULTRA VIOLET
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to oldfred
Thumbs up Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda S G View Post

Welcome from Snellville, Ga.

I used UAAT (United American Auto Transport) (877)395-5880 This broker is in Georgia. Good prices. Moved BOTH my SSRs when I bought them and also my most recent 1957 Dodge Royal Lancer. Was Well satisfied with the service.

MY SSRs

#1 CHARLOTTE is ULTRA VIOLET ...#2 JACK is SMOKING ASPHALT
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:02 AM

Post on Google "car transport" and a form will appear, fill it out and eneter it and many transport brokers will contact you with their price. Covered is almost double. You will need to schedule a 2 week window for pickup usually.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
The problem with most of the online transport companies is that you are dealing with a broker, a middle man, that is taking a cut of the money and will tell you anything to get the business.

I sold my first SSR to a guy in Oregon. He purchased and scheduled he transport. Driver was over a week late picking up, broker stated driver broke down in Atlanta and had to get his motor rebuilt. Then on the way to the buyer, he was 3 weeks late, more excuses from broker.

When I sold my recent truck it was shipped by Reliable carriers. Picked up when scheduled and dropped off when scheduled. Talked directly to the driver after it was booked instead of an knowledgeable broker.

Since you are traveling down a major corridor from NY to FL there should be a ton of good transport companies to choose from but if it were me I would just drive it down and get a one way rental car to return and get the stuff you left behind and make 2 trips if need be.

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:13 AM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
I have been on both sides of the fence.

I had an Austin Healey 100-6 transported when I moved from Kansas to New Mexico many years ago. It was a package deal I had with the house movers. Bad decision. They put the healey on the floor of the transport and then supports above it. Then they packed household stuff on top. Well... the supports gave way and smashed the healey. I was heart broken but did get the healey fixed. Wish I had that car back.

Then, on the other side, I had an old Porsche 911 transported on an open carrier from Colorado to New Mexico. No problems at all. Smooth sailing. Wish I had that car back too.

Bottom line, having a car transported is a crap shoot. Just make sure the carrier has a boat load of insurance just in case.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:34 PM
Auction Junkie
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Black automatic
Garage
Even the big guys have issues!

I sent my 62 Corvette to new owner across the the country to B.C. Upon arrival and inspection by the new owner and the driver it was found the one rear bumper on the back of the 62 had been rubbing against the front bumper extension of the car behind it. They were both the last 2 to come off from the top and front, end of the run. Driver said "sorry, I never seen that happen before". Over the phone, new owner asked me what should be done to make it right. I recommend all 3 pieces of rear, both bumpers and the center license horseshoe should all be replated by the original plater to ensure the rechrome remained consistent. A Bummer. But we used Mackie Transport (that GM used for its Show cars etc) and they said "send us the bill". That was 2x's what the haul cost.
Another story, had a restomod 57 Chev truck shipped from Pomona to Niagara Falls NY for a friend. He paid. Wanted a good deal. Was quoted $1450.00 on an Open carrier, by a broker, to be picked up after the snowbirds were done. About 2 weeks past agreed pick up date, an offer was made to pick up before week was over for another $150.00 cash to driver upon delivery or wait another 2 weeks. Supposed to have been 5 days and 2 hour window to meet truck and driver. Got emergency call 3 1/2 days they were 30 minutes away. Took us 45 minutes to get there crossing the border etc, and these 2 Russian guys are standing there really pissed and ready to unload. "We want $1750 cash right now or the trunk doesn't come off the trailer". AND there was slight damage to the passenger side front fender as the truck scrapped the center upright beam when it was moved the 2nd time to let another vehicle off." It was really dark out last night.. we couldn't see. Sorry! It's only a truck". I've lots of stories.
Well, you get what you pay for. Wait a month and drive it. You'll really enjoy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3677.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	542409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	542411  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in