Chevy SSR Forum banner

two tone SSR's

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  XSELER8 
#1 ·
I own an Asphalt 2005 SSR and I'am considering painting the upper parts silver like the two tone models. I have two questions.
1- Has anyone done this and what is the cost I should expect to pay?
2- I see what looks like a pin stripe around the edge of the upper color. Is this a pin strip tape or actual paint?

#2 ·
1. The cost to paint the upper half really depends on what you're willing to spend - it can run big bucks if you have the entire truck clear coated to match surfaces, with premium paint.

2. The pinstripe is tape. Since it's not a factory tutone, I'd suggest having it pinstriped (with paint) prior to clear coat.

If I were you, I'd send a PM to Doug (RaticalSSR), he just painted his '06 tutone and owns a body and paint shop. He can get the numbers a lot closer than I can.

#3 ·
Have seen more than a few tu tone SSRs where they don't paint the roof section. I assume this is because of detail involved in the roof and waterfall probably doubles the painting cost. I wonder if instead of painting from the beltline up it would be cheaper to paint below the beltline.

#6 ·
I took some pictures to my local body guy. He said he would charge time and materials but estimated $1500 to $2000. That was for the top as well.
Its personal taste I know but I don't like the silver color as much so I want to bottom black. One problem is that it looks a bit like a skunk!!

#7 ·
I took some pictures to my local body guy. He said he would charge time and materials but estimated $1500 to $2000. That was for the top as well.
Its personal taste I know but I don't like the silver color as much so I want to bottom black. One problem is that it looks a bit like a skunk!!
I don't think so.............:glol
Grass Wildlife Plant Grass family Organism

Skunk Striped Skunk Nature reserve Terrestrial animal Plant

I might...:D
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet ssr Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Chevrolet ssr

#11 ·
I think exactly like flassh about top heavy, except backwards.:D

Black is slimming and color is bloating. My eye see's visual weight lower with black on top.

PS every time a yellow SSR is in my rear view mirror, it looks wider than any other.

Also if you keep Silver low it hides dirt better than the black would.

I would think to paint the top correctly, it will be twice the labour cost of bottom.

But I do understand your choice is other way, so that is the right way.:flag

#13 · (Edited)
Yeah - but you have weird eyes.:pokey:

Besides - you would dare disagree with two esteemed builders with their own TV shows? You have large ........ never mind.:harhar:

#16 ·
Two Tone

I saw one creative two-tone paint scheme in which the upper color was feathered across the top of the seats and partway down the waterfall and blended to the original color of the interior. This probably would not look good if the contrast is too great like silver against black but looks OK if the colors are complementary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.