What Did You Do With Your SSR Today? - Page 242 - Chevy SSR Forum
 4595Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #7231 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Member
 
desikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Decatur, Michigan
Posts: 28


My SSR:
2004 Black all stock
Garage
Michigan

Put the top down and took my little baby for a ride.. Finialy
Ruckzuck, Jersey red and S2NAZ like this.
desikk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7232 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 PM
My First Permagrin !
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Jersey red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Toms river NJ
Posts: 470


My SSR:
05 #18193 chrome wheels ,carpet kit , boards , gauge pack , sc tuner and a ton of mikes stuff
Garage
Good and bad day .
Bad day part , went to a friends Moms funeral 90 miles away .
Good day part , drove home topless and made it home in 1 hour .
Ruckzuck and S2NAZ like this.
Jersey red is offline  
post #7233 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 PM
BAD BOW TIE
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Auggie Doggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sturgis, South Dakota
Posts: 7,707


My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Drove 70 miles topless today. Lots of bees out. Then came home and washed her and hit her with a coat of Top Coat F-11. Shines like new.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Auggie Doggie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7234 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 AM
HobbyBob
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
3yello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sun City West,Arizona
Posts: 542


My SSR:
2005 slingshot,pinstriped/flame detail,OBX Long Headers,Mike's front plate, core supp, fan BORN9/14
Cleaned the bugs and butterflies off after the Utah trip and made a place for the Distillery Choice plaque ELWOOD got in Utah.
Krazy Ed and ROPE like this.
3yello is offline  
post #7235 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:23 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Krazy Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Courtice, Ontario Canada
Posts: 23,123


My SSR:
03 Smokin' Asphalt #1712 / 04 Ultra Violet # 13688
Unpacked SSR after having to cancel out on Maggie Valley due to a health issue that had to be taken care of asap.



Krazy Ed


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Krazy Ed is online now  
post #7236 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:08 PM
BAD BOW TIE
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Auggie Doggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sturgis, South Dakota
Posts: 7,707


My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Ed View Post
Unpacked SSR after having to cancel out on Maggie Valley due to a health issue that had to be taken care of asap.



Krazy Ed
Sorry to hear that. Hope things work out for the best.
Krazy Ed and VI Ken like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Auggie Doggie is offline  
post #7237 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:25 PM
Senior Member
 
04 PurpleHaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Roan Mt. Tn.
Posts: 799


My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Ed View Post
Unpacked SSR after having to cancel out on Maggie Valley due to a health issue that had to be taken care of asap.



Krazy Ed
Sorry to here that Ed was looking forward to seeing you in Maggie, hope everything works out for you and yours and a speedy recovery.
Krazy Ed likes this.
04 PurpleHaze is offline  
post #7238 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:13 AM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member
 
richsadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 101


My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Spark Plug Wrestling

Not something I did today, but yesterday I replaced all of the spark plugs and spark plug wires in our new-to-us 2005 R. I was too tired to write about it last night.

OMG, Iíve changed probably hundreds of spark plugs over the years, but Iíve never had a vehicle where every, single, one fought me tooth and nail. I have to say, itís probably one of the most brutal R&Rs Iíve ever done.

There was another one, a friendís Monza (another Chevy) that was a contender. It required undoing the passenger side motor mount to raise the engine enough to remove the rear spark plug. But even in that case most of the plugs and wires came out willingly.

The R has about 55K on it and I know the plugs are supposed to last 100K, but it had an intermittent miss at idle and the exhaust odor was pretty bad. After firing it up I needed to get it out of the garage right away to avoid smelling the place up. Iíve run a couple of tanks of premium Tier 1 fuel though it now so I knew it was not burning it right. Iím not a big believer in additives like fuel injector cleaner and such so I thought Iíd start with the plugs and wires and see if that would help.

So long story longer, it was a real test match between my knuckles, the Rís wires - almost all of which refused to come out in one piece - plugs that were near seized to the block, and almost no space to work with. Did I say brutal? Blood was shed.

What would normally take a half-hour to an hour on most cars took me well over five hours to finish.

There are probably a couple of plugs that could have come out a bit easier from underneath, but I have yet to get jack stands and what-not to do that kind of maintenance.

The previous owner had the R programmed and tuned by Joe at Left Coast 32 so I got in touch with him. He suggested using NGK TR6 (PN 4177) plugs gapped at .028, saying thatís what heís doing at his shop and that Iíd really like the performance. I was going to go with popular after-market wires from MSD or Edelbrock but after reading multiple postings here and elsewhere saying there isnít much to be gained by spending three or four times as much, I decided to use GM/ACDelco OEM wires.

I made sure to use the prescribed anti-seize on the plugs, dielectric grease on the connections and so on and in the end I did show them who's boss and now have all new plugs and wires in place. Woo hoo!

Itís been raining here so I havenít been able to put the R through its paces, but idling and some quick revs in the garage indicate that things are much better. The exhaust odor has improved 100%. Now it really doesnít smell at all.

Iíve attached photos of one of the plugs I pulled (next to a new one). All of the ones I pulled looked almost identical, fairly normal, no ash, no oil, etc. (which is great news), but as you can see, they were more than ready to be replaced.

Although Iím feeling pretty beat up by all of the bending, twisting, turning and other gymnastics I had to perform on this job, Iím glad itís over and Iím glad I did it.

One downside is that I dropped one old plug and it didnít hit the floor. Even crawling around underneath and feeling for it in as many nooks and crannies I could slip my hand into, for the life of me I could not find it. So sooner or later itíll either be road kill or someone will discover it when its on a lift.

On a positive note, my cuss jar is now overflowing!

This work should last me a good, long time, but in the future (mine or someone elseís) itíll hopefully be an easier job. And apologies for the novela here, but I thought it was worth sharing.

OR maybe itís something for the folks at a Chevy dealer to tackleÖ a good way to get back at Ďem.

In any case, weíre really looking forward to some sunshine and top-down adventure!

UPDATE: The sun came out this afternoon so I took it out and cleared out some carbon, well as much as the local law will allow. I did punch it from a stop light and hit 40 MPH (the speed limit on that particular stretch of road) in what seemed to be a split second. So performance seems to be a few notches higher now. And it sounded grrrrreat! I hope my trials and tribulations won't intimidate anyone. It was a good learning experience that allowed me to get (really) up close and personal with the heartbeat of America.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Plug 1.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	548263   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Plug 2.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	548265   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Plug 4.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	548267   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Plug 3.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	548269  
TXNSSR, Jersey red and sillypuddy like this.

Cheers,

Rich


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richsadams is offline  
post #7239 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:05 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member
 
TheXCepsion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Friendswood, Texas
Posts: 457


My SSR:
2004 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
Send a message via AIM to TheXCepsion
Drove to the Texas Monument area, Met with the Texas Gulf Coast Group for Lunch. Great Food, Greater Company. This Group of Fanatics is the Best...Always good when We can get together.
TXNSSR, Ruckzuck and Jersey red like this.
TheXCepsion is offline  
post #7240 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:34 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
sillypuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Beautiful Ruskin Fl.
Posts: 298


My SSR:
Old Yella 04 #10306
Garage
The Tampa Bay love bugs gave us a little break today. Finally was able to get Old Yella out for at least a trip around the neighborhood. Also have been wanting to sexsersize the top. I phrased it like that because she is so sexy, topless. Had a great ride and she was perfect..
Jersey red likes this.

Preventive maintenance is a must, but if it's not broke, don't fix it !!! Unless it makes it Prettier or Faster !!!
sillypuddy is offline  
post #7241 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
ChknMnky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 172


My SSR:
2005 Aqua Blur
Garage
Gave an introduction to a potential buyer. Nice guy and fellow car fanatic. In the drive to our rendezvous point, I couldn’t help but think that’ll I’ll always regret selling this. But, if it makes him happy and keeps my family above water, so be it.
ChknMnky is offline  
post #7242 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:13 AM
Auction Junkie
Supporting Member
 
Corvettetom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fonthill, Ontario 1/2 hour from Niagara Falls
Posts: 113


My SSR:
2005 Black automatic
Garage
Got down from winter storage

Trying a new advertising option for selling my R so finally got it off the lift to see if ran as well as it did back in October. Fired right up and everything seemed to operate to get it out in the driveway to take some pics. Forgot what my mileage was for accurate posting and now have pics of interior, new improved bed struts and with the custom cover. Felt good sitting in it listening to the Bose and testing the windows. Now for a new lic sticker and maybe an upcoming cruise.

So I put the R back on the lift and took our 50th out for a spin because it has legal plates and insurance coverage on it. And is a 6 speed.....HUGE permagrin
HUAW likes this.
Corvettetom is offline  
post #7243 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:28 AM
Auction Junkie
Supporting Member
 
Corvettetom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fonthill, Ontario 1/2 hour from Niagara Falls
Posts: 113


My SSR:
2005 Black automatic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Ed View Post
Unpacked SSR after having to cancel out on Maggie Valley due to a health issue that had to be taken care of asap.



Krazy Ed
Hope your going to be able to make the Scarborough Cruise in Erik. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Krazy Ed likes this.
Corvettetom is offline  
post #7244 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:33 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
BROKER03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: MOBILE,AL
Posts: 93


My SSR:
2003 REDLINE RED #00284
Garage
Had a great weekend, saturday 5/18 went to a car show at windcreek casino atmore al , met a lot of great people it was a great show, did win another trophy 4 for 4 now. Love my truck had a nice cool sunday evening drive. Now back to reality ( work ) lol. Get ready for this weekend's show ... The perma-grin goes on....
Flying Dog, HUAW and Autoprof like this.
BROKER03 is offline  
post #7245 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:22 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member
 
Guzzi Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Davie Fl
Posts: 1,453


My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Not something I did today, but yesterday I replaced all of the spark plugs and spark plug wires in our new-to-us 2005 R. I was too tired to write about it last night.

OMG, Iíve changed probably hundreds of spark plugs over the years, but Iíve never had a vehicle where every, single, one fought me tooth and nail. I have to say, itís probably one of the most brutal R&Rs Iíve ever done.

There was another one, a friendís Monza (another Chevy) that was a contender. It required undoing the passenger side motor mount to raise the engine enough to remove the rear spark plug. But even in that case most of the plugs and wires came out willingly.

The R has about 55K on it and I know the plugs are supposed to last 100K, but it had an intermittent miss at idle and the exhaust odor was pretty bad. After firing it up I needed to get it out of the garage right away to avoid smelling the place up. Iíve run a couple of tanks of premium Tier 1 fuel though it now so I knew it was not burning it right. Iím not a big believer in additives like fuel injector cleaner and such so I thought Iíd start with the plugs and wires and see if that would help.

So long story longer, it was a real test match between my knuckles, the Rís wires - almost all of which refused to come out in one piece - plugs that were near seized to the block, and almost no space to work with. Did I say brutal? Blood was shed.

What would normally take a half-hour to an hour on most cars took me well over five hours to finish.

There are probably a couple of plugs that could have come out a bit easier from underneath, but I have yet to get jack stands and what-not to do that kind of maintenance.

The previous owner had the R programmed and tuned by Joe at Left Coast 32 so I got in touch with him. He suggested using NGK TR6 (PN 4177) plugs gapped at .028, saying thatís what heís doing at his shop and that Iíd really like the performance. I was going to go with popular after-market wires from MSD or Edelbrock but after reading multiple postings here and elsewhere saying there isnít much to be gained by spending three or four times as much, I decided to use GM/ACDelco OEM wires.

I made sure to use the prescribed anti-seize on the plugs, dielectric grease on the connections and so on and in the end I did show them who's boss and now have all new plugs and wires in place. Woo hoo!

Itís been raining here so I havenít been able to put the R through its paces, but idling and some quick revs in the garage indicate that things are much better. The exhaust odor has improved 100%. Now it really doesnít smell at all.

Iíve attached photos of one of the plugs I pulled (next to a new one). All of the ones I pulled looked almost identical, fairly normal, no ash, no oil, etc. (which is great news), but as you can see, they were more than ready to be replaced.

Although Iím feeling pretty beat up by all of the bending, twisting, turning and other gymnastics I had to perform on this job, Iím glad itís over and Iím glad I did it.

One downside is that I dropped one old plug and it didnít hit the floor. Even crawling around underneath and feeling for it in as many nooks and crannies I could slip my hand into, for the life of me I could not find it. So sooner or later itíll either be road kill or someone will discover it when its on a lift.

On a positive note, my cuss jar is now overflowing!

This work should last me a good, long time, but in the future (mine or someone elseís) itíll hopefully be an easier job. And apologies for the novela here, but I thought it was worth sharing.

OR maybe itís something for the folks at a Chevy dealer to tackleÖ a good way to get back at Ďem.

In any case, weíre really looking forward to some sunshine and top-down adventure!

UPDATE: The sun came out this afternoon so I took it out and cleared out some carbon, well as much as the local law will allow. I did punch it from a stop light and hit 40 MPH (the speed limit on that particular stretch of road) in what seemed to be a split second. So performance seems to be a few notches higher now. And it sounded grrrrreat! I hope my trials and tribulations won't intimidate anyone. It was a good learning experience that allowed me to get (really) up close and personal with the heartbeat of America.
Sorry to hear of your misadventure(s). When I saw the picture of your painted cover and before I read your text, I thought to myself "I hope he removed that cover". I too been known to charge ahead in my excitement to get the job done without giving full thought to consequences. Now you can proudly relate to the Chevrolet commercial showing the owners and their trucks with their "battle scars".

Dave
richsadams likes this.
Guzzi Guy is offline  
post #7246 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:32 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member
 
richsadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 101


My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi Guy View Post
Sorry to hear of your misadventure(s). When I saw the picture of your painted cover and before I read your text, I thought to myself "I hope he removed that cover". I too been known to charge ahead in my excitement to get the job done without giving full thought to consequences. Now you can proudly relate to the Chevrolet commercial showing the owners and their trucks with their "battle scars".

Dave
Thanks for the sympathy Dave, but hey, you live and learn right? Or in my case, maybe I'll never learn, but my permagrin is still intact!
Guzzi Guy likes this.

Cheers,

Rich


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richsadams is offline  
post #7247 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:03 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Krazy Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Courtice, Ontario Canada
Posts: 23,123


My SSR:
03 Smokin' Asphalt #1712 / 04 Ultra Violet # 13688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettetom View Post
Hope your going to be able to make the Scarborough Cruise in Erik. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Yes wifey & I are planning on being there, we enjoyed ourselves last year.



Krazy Ed
Corvettetom likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Krazy Ed is online now  
post #7248 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:43 AM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member
 
richsadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 101


My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Just finished putting together a "memorialization" book for our R. Terry, the gentleman that owned it previously kept all of his receipts for all of the maintenance and mods. They were in a couple of file folders so I thought I'd take it to the next step.

I scanned in all of the paperwork so I have a file on my computer and I created a thumb drive backup and tossed it in the safe. If something ever happens I'll have some documentation for the insurance company.

Then I put each one in a plastic sleeve and added them to their respective binders, one for mods and one for normal maintenance, earlier warranty work, etc. I'll take them along to shows and such.

I think there's value in having "provenance" as they say, especially for the next owner(s) after I'm long gone. Wife thinks I'm crazy of course.

Something to do on a rainy day... waiting for the sun to shine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7987.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	548453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7985.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	548455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7986.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	548457  

Cheers,

Rich


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richsadams is offline  
post #7249 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:20 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member
 
richsadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 101


My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Dropped our R off at the detail shop today for a cut, polish and wax this morning. [Biting nails]

Sprinkled on the way there. Clearing up now so should be safe on the way home. Keeping her in the garage as much as possible before the upcoming car show on June 1st.

Cheers,

Rich


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richsadams is offline  
post #7250 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:25 PM
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
Supporting Member
 
Firetruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 962


My SSR:
04 red, custom wheels, custom flame paint, flowmaster exhaust
Garage
Like the books! Nice work!

Jarod and Lori
Firetruck is online now  
post #7251 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 PM
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
ttarob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 38,775


My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet ... Corvette servo, hood struts
Finally woke the SSR up, changed the oil, checked everything over then treated myself to a birthday cruise .... top down of course!!!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rob & Tracie
ttarob is online now  
post #7252 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:50 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member
 
richsadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 101


My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
Like the books! Nice work!
Thanks! A labor of love of course.
Corvettetom likes this.

Cheers,

Rich


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richsadams is offline  
post #7253 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:02 AM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member
 
richsadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 101


My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Got the R back from the detailer's this afternoon. Cut, polish and wax. Swirls are a thing of the past fender blue jean rubs are gone, running boards are scuff-free and she glistens. The owner said the paint on SSR's is really very good. Apparently the clear coat is tough as nails. Now she looks like she's ready for the prom!

I'll attack the few surface scratches they couldn't get out with the Dr. ColorChip kit that's on the way. I've never used it before but saw some pretty good reviews here and elsewhere. Fingers crossed that stuff works... for the price it should.

Now if I can just keep her sparkling for another week or so. "Oh honey, you don't mind if I take your car to Home Depot... do you?"
HUAW likes this.

Cheers,

Rich


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richsadams is offline  
post #7254 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:31 AM
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
xoxoxoBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DelCo, PA
Posts: 8,535


My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
"Oh honey, you don't mind if I take your car to Home Depot... do you?"
Go ahead dear, I'll take the truck to the supermarket, and the gym, and Moms, and...

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
xoxoxoBruce is offline  
post #7255 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:56 AM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member
 
richsadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 101


My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Go ahead dear, I'll take the truck to the supermarket, and the gym, and Moms, and...

Cheers,

Rich


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richsadams is offline  
post #7256 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:58 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member
 
carlbush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL
Posts: 780


My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
The monthly Springfield Car Cruise is this Saturday and is being held in remembrance of Memorial Day. Participants have been asked to "show the Flag". So, built this little flag-holder thingy out of schedule 40 PVC and attached to the trailer hitch. Cost about $10 to make. The attaching point is a stainless 3/4x2" threaded pipe and the PVC connectors are pre-threaded. Only real work was to grind down the center portion of the threaded rod as they are slightly bowed out in the center. The ends slipped right into the hole of the hitch, but then jammed. After a minute or two on the grinder, the threaded rod fit nice and snug into the hole. The bottom-most PVC threaded connector is just hand-snugged ... it ain't going nowhere. A couple of PVC T's and a ratcheting strap holds the flag-mount against the tailgate face with no room for slippage. Covered with 3/4" pipe insulator to ensure no scratches. Pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6008.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	548647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6013.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	548649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6010.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	548651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6011.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	548653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6012.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	548655  

Flying Dog, HUAW and Autoprof like this.

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Ricochet Silver
carlbush is offline  
post #7257 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:59 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
BlueStreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 25,754


My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
That is still going to be a lot of force on that PVC with any speed at all. Good luck and let us know how it works out.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
BlueStreak is online now  
post #7258 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member
 
carlbush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL
Posts: 780


My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
That is still going to be a lot of force on that PVC with any speed at all. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
The flagpole metal rod slides all the way to the bottom of the holder, and the strap prevents any rear/sideward movement of the vertical mount. It wonít experience any damage-inducing stress. Plus Iím not mounting the flag until I get to the Cruise site, so speed will be less than 30 mph.

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Ricochet Silver
carlbush is offline  
post #7259 of 7275 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member
 
richsadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Northwest U.S.
Posts: 101


My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Two things today...

#1 Hadn't looked under the hood since getting our R back from the detailer yesterday (they didn't do the engine or interior). Noticed that whatever they used to wash/clean it left some kind of spray residue in the engine compartment. It appears to have ruined several pieces of bling that Terry installed including the air cleaner cover, the fuse box cover and other bits. Photos attached. Come to find out that it's NOT that plastic chrome everyone uses, it's high-grade aluminum. Phew!

#2 On a better note, I was able to replace a weather pack connector for the engine coolant temperature sensor. When I was changing the spark plugs and wires I had to remove it to get to the #1 plug. The little retaining clip was very brittle and snapped right off. Thanks to Stlhotrod I was able to replace it myself. All of the details are in this post if anyone's interested.

Now I'm hoping those chrome mod pieces can be saved. If anyone knows of anything that will get rid of what look to be permanent water spots I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to have to fight with the detail shop. They have a very good rep around here so if they can't be fixed I hope they'll do the right thing. Stay tuned.

UPDATE: Boy, color me embarrassed! After looking closer at the billet parts in question and finding Dragon2U's post about them, it turns out they're made of really good quality aluminum. D'oh! So after more research I see that they should clean up nicely with some Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish. I'm going to hit the parts store tomorrow and get busy! Feeling much better now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8011.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	548683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8009.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	548685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8010.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	548687  

Cheers,

Rich


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richsadams is offline  
post #7260 of 7275 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
Join Date: August 2013
Supporting Member
 
yeloros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wall, NJ
Posts: 154


My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow #10502 Born 2/6/04
just got home from three days in Gettysburg top down all three days great time now time to clean bugs she needs her loving time too
Jersey red likes this.

Joe
Wall, NJ
yeloros is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome