post #61 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Yellow w/custom paint #3521
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc NY
Scott Doug is the BOSS so he can surf the net anytime he likes...
And don't forget it either

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CO-HOST OF THE 10th CHOCOLATE/COVERED BRIDGE TOUR COMING OCT 8th-12th 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
Sorry guys. I just checked back on this thread and saw the discussion about RealProwlerFan. This is why I would like to talk to the guy.
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/1102-post3.html

Above is the original post showing avatar info but below is a copy of the content. Either Umpire 13 or PaceGuy has since determined that #309 is alive and well somewhere, CA I believe. It doesn't seem like this guy was BS'ing but as he is no longer an active member, I have no way of accessing all of his old posts, other than stumbling across them like this one I found. I'd love to know who his source @ LCC was if this is in fact a true story.

Quote from old post of his:
In July when I tured the assembly plant, I was in vin#309. Truck had 2300 miles and these were still the "mules". Previous vins were to be crushed as weren't saleable cars. Bodies have been brought to crusher with security personal to supervise to make sure that they don't end up in a garage with a different drivetrain. The test driver hated to discuss the crushing, but says yes, this one will be crushed and that was #309 in July. Going to drive by plant today and hope to see trucks on Leaseway Car Haulers!

#309 was one of the original 68 WD-1 Pilots that definitely could have been referred to as a "mule".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
post #63 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:24 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Black 03, Vin#0168, License Plate-"DRMRIDE". Florida "Snowbird"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash View Post
Sorry guys. I just checked back on this thread and saw the discussion about RealProwlerFan. This is why I would like to talk to the guy.

Above is the original post showing avatar info but below is a copy of the content. Either Umpire 13 or PaceGuy has since determined that #309 is alive and well somewhere, CA I believe. It doesn't seem like this guy was BS'ing but as he is no longer an active member, I have no way of accessing all of his old posts, other than stumbling across them like this one I found. I'd love to know who his source @ LCC was if this is in fact a true story.

In July when I tured the assembly plant, I was in vin#309. Truck had 2300 miles and these were still the "mules". Previous vins were to be crushed as weren't saleable cars. Bodies have been brought to crusher with security personal to supervise to make sure that they don't end up in a garage with a different drivetrain. The test driver hated to discuss the crushing, but says yes, this one will be crushed and that was #309 in July. Going to drive by plant today and hope to see trucks on Leaseway Car Haulers!

#309 was one of the original 68 WD-1 Pilots that definitely could have been referred to as a "mule".
Maybe you could do a search on the Prowler site for him!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 05:04 PM

I too am searching. I sent an email to one of the new owners and an old time member of 2 of the prowler sites!
Doug
post #65 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:46 AM

got messages back yesterday and noone seems to be able to find him!
post #66 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Boop Op A Doop

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red SSR "HTRDGRL" Born On 8/19/2004 SSR Theme Song Chevrolet by Foghat
Send a message via MSN to HotRodGirl
Quote:

In a recent conversation with an ASC higher up.....I was also told the same thing. Many early models went to the crusher

]

post #67 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator

My SSR:
SSR 04 PEDIGREE SSR Photo History w/ 1st Aux. Gauge Package released for Production. #9684
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Marc NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodGirl View Post
In a recent conversation with an ASC higher up.....I was also told the same thing. Many early models went to the crusher
Debbie is correct... due to testing and the validation process those SSRs could not be sold to the public and had to be crushed. Too bad we couldn't have saved some of those parts for our future use though.

post #68 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Boop Op A Doop

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red SSR "HTRDGRL" Born On 8/19/2004 SSR Theme Song Chevrolet by Foghat
Send a message via MSN to HotRodGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
Debbie is correct... due to testing and the validation process those SSRs could not be sold to the public and had too be crushed. To bad we couldn't have saved some of those parts for our future use though.
As if that wasn't bad enough......I remember seeing a line of SSR bodies at the end of production that also meet their fate Rumor had it that full SSR's were also destroyed at the end for GM write offs

(Well not a rumor anymore confirmed by a good source)

The number would make your stomach turn

]

post #69 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 AM

mules

The mules as referred to by Debbie were used to get the assembly lines built and prove out all the fixtures and jigs made to produce the production cars. I used to build panels for mules that were actually carbon fiber layups from CNC milled Ren plank models. These were than assembled using the test jigs and an entire vehicle would be assembled. They were also used to see if any assembly operations would be effected so earlier changes could be made if necessary.
the carbon fiber panels were most often made available before any serious cutting was done on the Stamping dies.
Mules would then be made from kirksite dies stamped panels were assembled again and fine tuned the line using these mules (generation II) and then final mules using cast iron stamping dies were built and sent down the line to test. These vehicles were more costly to build and could not be sold since they cost more to build. GM could write off the entire value by crushing them rather than selling them for less and not being able to put the cost toward the development. It makes entire economic sense when you understand that!
post #70 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
Garage
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/1046-post1.html

Here is an old post with a pic of a couple crusher destined bodies.
I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with Ron who wanted to be helpful but I was unable to garner factual information.
Obtaining the VIN's is my goal for the Deceased file but I keep hitting dead ends.
There must be a record of these VIN's. I expect a lot will be in the VIN#3B100300 and up sequence.
Short of someone having the ability to search a whack of titles I haven't determined a way to get to them.
If anyone does find "realprowlerfan" please let me know.

post #71 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:07 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie48084 View Post
The mules as referred to by Debbie were used to get the assembly lines built and prove out all the fixtures and jigs made to produce the production cars. I used to build panels for mules that were actually carbon fiber layups from CNC milled Ren plank models. These were than assembled using the test jigs and an entire vehicle would be assembled. They were also used to see if any assembly operations would be effected so earlier changes could be made if necessary.
the carbon fiber panels were most often made available before any serious cutting was done on the Stamping dies.
Mules would then be made from kirksite dies stamped panels were assembled again and fine tuned the line using these mules (generation II) and then final mules using cast iron stamping dies were built and sent down the line to test. These vehicles were more costly to build and could not be sold since they cost more to build. GM could write off the entire value by crushing them rather than selling them for less and not being able to put the cost toward the development. It makes entire economic sense when you understand that!

Thanks.!!

Great info. We need more of this kind of information to help us understand the build process. I had no idea there were that many steps to be taken before an assembly line was ready for production.

Makes the Signature Series undertaking even more amazing. Didn't understand the statement in An American Original that in any other build process those would have all been crushed. That now fits in with the process you describe.

Keep it coming.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #72 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
Garage
I wonder if we should try and get "Page 3" posts moved from this thread to a separate one?
Anyone with info about crushing mules or other related discussion here isn't likely to be spotting this thread to post in.

post #73 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:35 AM

My SSR:
06 Red loaded 14k Mi.
Send a message via AIM to chimpo
I was an invited guest to Woodward first SSR gathering by Chevy and I was sent #471 of 500 pewter SSR display. Scott in Grand Rapids Mi.
post #74 of 222 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 AM

My SSR:
06 Red loaded 14k Mi.
Send a message via AIM to chimpo
I am here. What can I answer? Do you happen to own a SSR that I owned?
post #75 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Auto # 20087 Brickyard Track Vehicle
I'd like to get my hands on one. Mine was #74 as a track vehicle in 05 vavoom
post #76 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Garage
Jim,

Might be interesting to list the first 25 to see how many might surface along the way.

Bob Walczyk has documented that those were sent to the original purchasers of the Signature Series after they were auctioned. They should have remained with the trucks, but the majority would appear to be sitting on the desks of the dealership principals.

Very likely, Bob McDorman has all of his for #2 - 5, Mike did get his with #7. Several of the Signatures are still owned by the original purchasing dealerships.

If they're listed it might prompt those Signature owners who have possession of the pewter plaques to come out of hiding.

It'll take some time, but I'll try to document where they are with some phone calls. Heck, I might even find the one for #12 along the way, or help Jay find his. We think #23 is still in a box in some storage room in Texas.

Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09

post #77 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:23 AM

I have # 430 of 500 ( From the Prowler club )
post #78 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Real Prowler Fan--Scott Harnish

This is a person I would very much like to speak with regarding some very old posts of his. He is no longer active in the Membership List. Anyone know of him or how I might find him?

I have been with the Prowleronline club for 10 years now, and I have never heard of this person.

Does anyone know the value of these Pewter SSR awards, as I am considering selling my collection of SSR collectables.
The Award number is # 430

Please check out the TOYS & MEMORABILIA SECTION FOR OTHER ITEMS.
post #79 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
#1 Nascar Flamed Pace Truck, Silver/Blue 23854
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrtruck View Post
If you have one, please post number on this thread. THANK YOU.

OK, HERE IS MY FIRST TRY AT ORGANIZING A THREAD PAGE (did the TBSS thread)

Please post the number of your PEWTER MODEL.
Stay tuned for the FIRST PAGE UPDATES
After you see your number and name posted on the FIRST POST kindly DELETE your post, { I think this way, there will not be page after page of posts.}
{asterix is for specultive ownership, not proven}

NUMBER OWNER

001 GM HISTORICAL SIGNITURE 1
002 SAE FOUNDATION SIGNITURE 2 *
002-005 BOB McDORMAN* (has SIGN. Trucks 002-005)*
007 Mikeb326 (FLA.)
101 RICK WAGONER *
102 DAVID TREADWELL *
201 ROBERT LUTZ *
239 Ken Spangler (VA.)
301 GARY COWGER *
342 kwhopper89 (CA.)
357 BIG JIM and PATRICE (W.VA)
384 Marc NY
388 FUZZY (WI.)
401 WAYNE CHERRY *
403 MARTY and DEE (Ohio)
419 Ken Spangler (VA.)
423 Flassh (British Columbia)
430 phil2237
438 Scott0168 (MI.)
450 ssrtruck (NJ.)
471 chimpo (Scott, Grand Rapids, MI.)
490 RadicalSSR (PA.)

Jim thanks for listing my pewter model in here. It was picked up in Florida from the previous owner in November, but in January it made the trip to Canada. Dont tell customs!!

So it's actually in Canada

I'll let you know when it makes the trip back to Florida for a winter break in March.
post #80 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpo View Post
I am here. What can I answer? Do you happen to own a SSR that I owned?
I have sent you a PM.

post #81 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Sadly sold '03 RED vin1337, '06(lastoneinblack) vin 24107..Sadly sold '04UV,'05SILVER,'06PACBLU FPR
awaiting the "new" owner of #430
post #82 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrtruck View Post
awaiting the "new" owner of #430
It wasn't me, I don't "bid" on parts or accessories.
post #83 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 PM

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
Quote:
It wasn't me, I don't "bid" on parts or accessories.

I couldn't agree with you more Doug I like to just make a offer and /or buy it out right. Bidding can get REAL PRICEY I know I'm new here. BUT..... I have owned/built Chey's all of my life (Except for that dune buggy) . The SSR is a very special offering from Chevrolet. As you and I and all of the other owners already know. This was just more then a "part" or a "accessory" for a SSR

It is one of 500 that were made, and given out by Chevrolet from what I have read for various reasons. To say they are tuff to come by would be correct from what I have seen and also read. I was watching that one on E-PAY that was taken off auction prematurely a few months ago. I was so P'd OFF, I wrote the seller a quick email telling him that was BS for taking it off auction.

You see I like "BLACKIE" I also like "DUST COLLECTORS" what better "DUST COLLECTOR" to have then #430 of 500 PEWTER SSR's DISPLAYS? That's why I put a bid on it. You see there might be one that pops up for $100.00 or so..... Then again, there might not be one that pops up at all? I wasn't going to take that chance again

As always..... "BLACKIE"
post #84 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKIE";801722]I couldn't agree with you more Doug :banghead I like to just make a offer and /or buy it out right. Bidding can get REAL PRICEY :eek I know I'm new here. BUT..... I have owned/built Chey's all of my life (Except for that dune buggy) :banghead. The SS[B][COLOR="Red
R[/COLOR][/B] is a very special offering from Chevrolet. As you and I and all of the other owners already know. This was just more then a "part" or a "accessory" for a SSR

It is one of 500 that were made, and given out by Chevrolet from what I have read for various reasons. To say they are tuff to come by would be correct from what I have seen and also read. I was watching that one on E-PAY that was taken off auction prematurely a few months ago. I was so P'd OFF, I wrote the seller a quick email telling him that was BS for taking it off auction.

You see I like "BLACKIE" I also like "DUST COLLECTORS" what better "DUST COLLECTOR" to have then #430 of 500 PEWTER SSR's DISPLAYS? That's why I put a bid on it. You see there might be one that pops up for $100.00 or so..... Then again, there might not be one that pops up at all? I wasn't going to take that chance again

As always..... "BLACKIE"
I'm pleased that you're pleased with your new "Dust Collector".
post #85 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:58 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 red FPR w/ chrome...Wildthing
This like most other collectibles fall under the greater fool method. The seller paid $76 for it and spent $15 to fix chip in 2007. I would say he did real well...lol

The years teach much which the days never knew.
post #86 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 11:12 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecat View Post
This like most other collectibles fall under the greater fool method. The seller paid $76 for it and spent $15 to fix chip in 2007. I would say he did real well...lol
You may not value this item. Many of us do. Disparaging remarks are unnecessary. I guess I am one of the greater fools you refer to, because I paid a lot more than $100 for one, but not as much as the person who paid around $1200 for one of these. It was obviously worth that to him.

Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09

post #87 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 AM

My SSR:
IS JUST BLACK....
Thanks Doug!

I'll get this out of the way right now to the members and readers of this forum. MY POST WAS IN NO WAY TO BE INTERPRETED THAT I HAD WON THE DISPLAY AND WAS GLOATING ABOUT IT If was taken this way ......I APOLOGIZE TO ALL THAT I OFFENDED!..... Onward.

To Mr. Allen,

I have read many of your posts and I respect you for what you do here for the members of this forum

Flassh......

I guess that I'm a lot bigger fool than you ...... I started "MY FOOLISHNESS" some 20 years ago in collecting 1947 to 1957 tonka trucks I have amassed a collection of over a 100 of these "RIGS" that were made in Mound, Minnesota that are "ALL" in pristine condition along with their original boxes "MY DUST COLLECTORS" as how I like to refer to them. Were bought/collected long before E-BAY, they were bought at the time from a price range of $100 to $300.

These "RIGS" nowadays comand anywhere from a $1,000 to 2,000 for a pristine offering ..... Just some of MY FOOLISHNESS.....

A 1956 "DOZZER RIG"......

A 1955 "SHOVEL RIG"......

A 1950 "SHOVEL RIG"......

Rest assured # 430 will not collect dust...... In my eyes that would be FOOLISHNESS

As always......BLACKIE

You can call me a "FOOL" anytime!
post #88 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:51 AM

My SSR:
05 slingshot; 6 spd, adopted 10/31/09. Previous rides: C-3, C-2, C-4, C-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecat View Post
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
post #89 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:44 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Blackie, I just assumed by your post that you were the successful bidder. I was sincere when I posted.....

Flassh, I did not read a disparaging remark from Lakecat - who's the bigger fool? The guy that paid too much now, or the guy that pays too much later? There's no question in my mind that # 430 and the rest of the statues will continue to increase in value over the years, just like SSR's will after they have bottomed out.

My angst over the whole issue of the # 430 statue was not how much it cost, but how it was sold. It turned out to be an online auction that was updated publicly until after the end date, and then the sale price was not stated. That gives the seller a lot of wiggle room, too much in my opinion. This is happening a lot lately on the Forum, and I don't care for the way the sales are being handled. That is why I stated that I would not bid on it, even though I would have liked to have it.
post #90 of 222 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 red FPR w/ chrome...Wildthing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
You may not value this item. Many of us do. Disparaging remarks are unnecessary. I guess I am one of the greater fools you refer to, because I paid a lot more than $100 for one, but not as much as the person who paid around $1200 for one of these. It was obviously worth that to him.
You are absolutely correct Flash but it wasn't disparaging. For all what Doug does for this forum and for the members here, I think he deserved it. When he stated that he wanted it, others should have backed off. Rubbing it in a little was a message that no one got I suppose.
And it is a greater fool theory. I learned my lesson with antique pocket watches in the 1980's... I also have a friend that bought a lakehouse here five years ago for 1.2 mil and now thanks to the real estate collapse, is now worth less than 700k. Oh well...sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beerholder...

The years teach much which the days never knew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in