• 1 Post By SB60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
05/06 Fuse Box Update

SOME 05/06 Fuse Boxes, Engine compartment, have had wire failure causing the SSR to "quit" while driving.

Some have experienced SSR running for 40 minutes or so and then "quit" only to cool and restart.

This problem eluded GM Engineers or they were not interested.

Our Art Bonadies aka abonadies and Marty aka Phantom Guy, Florida Chapter, found the problem by simulating conditions of the fuse box in a lab setting. As engine heat rose, the rear left quadrant of the fuse box dropped from 12 volts to 3, yes 3 volts.

Engine "quit" fuel injectors "quit" staring "quit" etc.

Art and Marty traced the problem, with use of oscilloscope, to a broken wire that provides power to the back left quadrant. One wire at a bend, was "pressed" down so hard during production that the wire was very thin.

Art and Marty then applied "HEAT" to the wire and sure enough it separated enough to shut down that quadrant. When wire cooled it made enough contact to operate the quadrant again. So as your engine compartment and fuse box become "Hot" the wire separates.

Their finding determined that when current was applied to the "thin" area of the wire it would expand and then contract, until it failed. But failure was not permanent it was intermittent depending on heat. As engine/fuse box cooled, wire would reconnect enough to return operation to "normal".

OPTIONS:
1. IF your R has never had a problem, then it may never have a problem, but if one develops, at least you will know what it is and how to fix it.
It was apparently a "PRODUCTION RUN" that was not set right on "Down Pressure" for the wire insert. When? How many? What serial numbers? Don't Know!

2. GM can replace engine fuse box. Cost about $700 bucks plus labor. NO guaranty it won't have a bad wire.

3. BEST option, if you are experiencing a problem, send your Fuse Box to Art Bonadies for wire replacement and re-routing.

Art is doing "Quick" turn around repair and for only $100 bucks plus shipping.

"special wire and wire size in the fuse box".

Contact Art aka abonadies for more information.

Check Tech Discussions/SSR How to Library for pictures and more information on the wire problem.

Here is link: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3ef39...5ADCE5E5%21853

Dicktator

1. Where wire breaks
2. Repaired fuse box wire, NO bends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4216.JPG
Views:	3698
Size:	758.4 KB
ID:	223738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5873.JPG
Views:	887
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	223746  
Auggie Doggie likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
VIN No. 24061
I haven't had any problems to date but the above post will be very helpful should I have problems in the future. Thank you, Dictator.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Vegas Mob

My SSR:
Slingshot yellow, 6 Speed, 4:56, #119840
Thanks for posting very good information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yellow RULES Las Vegas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 01:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Thank you again for y'alls research and help!!!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:25 PM

My SSR:
2006 Pacific Blue 3SS FPR #24094 Chrome Package
Good to know! Thanks for the info!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:08 AM

does anybody have his email so i can send a fuse box too, thank you, the link does not work for me
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR) 2005 Flame Pace Trk (CFO's)
Richard

I know there was a thread a while back trying to see if this problem traces to a production run. Has anything showed up with respect to tying VIN range to this problem?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 04:31 PM
#1 SidePipe Club

My SSR:
UV SSR 141mph on the Dyno 262 RWHP My other SS is an HHR SS "The RED ROCKET" "Tuned by CJ"
By pass the affected spot?

Looking at the affected wire, what would happen if a parallel wire/jumper were installed to provide another path. A test jumper could be installed to see if that "cures" the problem. All we would need is the fuse number..........and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
SOME 05/06 Fuse Boxes, Engine compartment, have had wire failure causing the SSR to "quit" while driving.

Some have experienced SSR running for 40 minutes or so and then "quit" only to cool and restart.

Our Art Bonadies aka abonadies and Marty aka Phantom Guy, Florida Chapter, found the problem by simulating conditions of the fuse box in a lab setting. As engine heat rose, the rear left quadrant of the fuse box dropped from 12 volts to 3, yes 3 volts.

Art and Marty traced the problem, with use of oscilloscope, to a broken wire that provides power to the back left quadrant. One wire at a bend, was "pressed" down so hard during production that the wire was very thin.

Art and Marty then applied "HEAT" to the wire and sure enough it separated enough to shut down that quadrant. When wire cooled it made enough contact to operate the quadrant again. So as your engine compartment and fuse box become "Hot" the wire separates.

Their finding determined that when current was applied to the "thin" area of the wire it would expand and then contract, until it failed. But failure was not permanent it was intermittent depending on heat. As engine/fuse box cooled, wire would reconnect enough to return operation to "normal".

OPTIONS:
1. IF your R has never had a problem, then it may never have a problem, but if one develops, at least you will know what it is and how to fix it.
It was apparently a "PRODUCTION RUN" that was not set right on "Down Pressure" for the wire insert. When? How many? What serial numbers? Don't Know!

2. GM can replace engine fuse box. Cost about $700 bucks plus labor. NO guaranty it won't have a bad wire.

3. BEST option, if you are experiencing a problem, send your Fuse Box to Art Bonadies for wire replacement and re-routing.

Check Tech Discussions/SSR How to Library for pictures and more information on the wire problem.

Here is link: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...51&app=WordPdf

Dicktator

1. Where wire breaks

A mime that Laughs out Loud is just……..
a Bozo in Facepaint
JimBob
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:11 PM

My SSR:
2006 Pacific Blue 3SS FPR #24094 Chrome Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj1933 View Post
does anybody have his email so i can send a fuse box too, thank you, the link does not work for me
I just went through this last week, exactly as described above!

Here's my Link:

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/no-spark-127290/

I sent it to Dragon2U. He fixed it for $10 and sent it back. Been driving the truck all over with no issues now. Definitely worth doing! Send him a PM. He'll take care of you.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 05:31 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj1933 View Post
Just follow the yellow brick road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	daisychain.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	233513  

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
More information.

Had one fail a week ago or so in Mailtland, Fl. Tom Heath. His repair shop called me and said R would run about 30/40 minutes and quit and he thought it was Fuse Box and I agreed.

Sent him a repaired one that I had in stock and all is good!

Tom returned his BAD fuse box and Ed Borland aka ED in Fl and I took it apart yesterday, YUP broken wire at the very same spot as all the others.

Ed confirmed that the wire in question goes to "POWER TRAIN RELAY", which supplies ALL the power to engine. A break in the wire, of course, shuts down your engine.

Ed is working on a "jumper" type system that MAY help someone who has this problem on the road. NOT ready to release the information yet but Ed was successful in a test he did on his own SSR.

That said, the 05/06 do have a potential problem with engine fuse box, don't know how many, don't know what serial #s. Suspect a bad run on fuse box but how many or how long was the run??

Here are some pictures of the latest fuse box belonging to Tom Heath.

Dicktator
Click on pictures to enlarge, click again to make even larger.

1. Break at bend can not be seen with naked eye or under magnifying glass. But it is there.
2. Lifted at bend where all others have failed and there it was!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1848.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	872.9 KB
ID:	233529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	692.4 KB
ID:	233537  

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:28 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Trinity, Florida (Winter), Caledonia, Michigan (Summer)

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue W/Chrome Package
When the engine is started - the ECM supplies a ground to pickup Relay 42 - Relay 42 contact closes and supplies power to the engine control fuses. The engine starts.

When the wire gets hot and open circuits - Relay 42 drops out - it’s contact opens and de-energizes the engine control fuses. The engine shuts down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1819.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	737.2 KB
ID:	233577  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post

OPTIONS:

Here is link: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...51&app=WordPdf

Dicktator

1. Where wire breaks

Hi, i dont really own a SSR, but this is a awesome site. Am over from the Trailvoy forum. But i would like to Thank Dicktator and everyone else that helped out on GM's mysterious problem. i was a victim of this last afternoon, after picking up my kids from school and trying to run some errands. and got the mystery shutdown with P1516, P1682, P2101, P0443, P0689. Very frustrating...
But because of your useful info, on this site. i discovered the problem, a tiny break naked to the eye, in the main spot 2nd curve that i can barely see, only saw it because you pic you have posted. THANKS SO MUCH, i thought i would have to die at the stealership.
Now who do i send it for repairs, i see Art Bonadies, Marty, Tom Heath. and how much is the repair cost? Am located in Miami, Fl.
I also ran into a small problem, does anyone have 1 extra one, or is it something i have to drill out from a junkyard

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tahoelt View Post
Hi, i dont really own a SSR, but this is a awesome site. Am over from the Trailvoy forum. But i would like to Thank Dicktator and everyone else that helped out on GM's mysterious problem. i was a victim of this last afternoon, after picking up my kids from school and trying to run some errands. and got the mystery shutdown with P1516, P1682, P2101, P0443, P0689. Very frustrating...
But because of your useful info, on this site. i discovered the problem, a tiny break naked to the eye, in the main spot 2nd curve that i can barely see, only saw it because you pic you have posted. THANKS SO MUCH, i thought i would have to die at the stealership.
Now who do i send it for repairs, i see Art Bonadies, Marty, Tom Heath. and how much is the repair cost? Am located in Miami, Fl.
I also ran into a small problem, does anyone have 1 extra one, or is it something i have to drill out from a junkyard

PM sent to you.

Dicktator

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
O.K. I'll be the dummy!! If not for SECURETY REASONS, what is it, for future referance
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj6969 View Post
O.K. I'll be the dummy!! If not for SECURETY REASONS, what is it, for future referance

That's what has to be drilled, in order to open up the fuse box
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 11:02 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Garage
Thanks--I have not looked at mine. I thought it snapped together or maybe screws. Good to know
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj6969 View Post
Thanks--I have not looked at mine. I thought it snapped together or maybe screws. Good to know
Go to Tech Discussions/SSR How to Library, Click on Fuse Box

Here is link:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3ef39...5ADCE5E5%21853

Dicktator

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Is there an “only on w/ignition” setting for the cigarette lighter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in