• 1 Post By moreymwin
  • 3 Post By Autoprof

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
05 SSR
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 SSR possessed

My 2005 SSR started acting up last week. door locks started locking and unlocking by them selves. ABS light/parking brake light/traction control light also came on. Loss of power. shift indicator was not showing properly. Check engine light with code indicating loss of communication with TCM. I was wondering about fuse box until I saw thread about TCM module causing problem. Can this module cause the door locks to cycle along with the other problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'06 FPR #23615 ______ DOB 02.28.06
Garage
Probably should change the ignition switch first and see what that does
Auggie Doggie and richsadams like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:04 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreymwin View Post
My 2005 SSR started acting up last week. door locks started locking and unlocking by them selves. ABS light/parking brake light/traction control light also came on. Loss of power. shift indicator was not showing properly. Check engine light with code indicating loss of communication with TCM. I was wondering about fuse box until I saw thread about TCM module causing problem. Can this module cause the door locks to cycle along with the other problems?
Welcome to the family. Give us a bit more information about where you are located and what, if anything, you have done recently in the way of maintenance and whether you did it or you had it done/where? There may be someone around that can help you do some trouble shooting.
Auggie Doggie and richsadams like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:06 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Quote:
Yes it can cause (and has on others which i am sure some will respond) this type of problem. The door can be programmed to lock or unlock based on vehicle speed and transmission shifter position. Which are fed to the body control module from the TCM on the class 2 network.

Here is another thread from Carl Bush and his issues that others chimed in one --- and the ignition switch DID NOT solve his problem.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...-issue-238418/

I am sure if you check around you can find an off board programmer for your new TCM. I am guessing that a used TCM from an SSR that has not had any rear gear change should also be plug and play.

EDIT: Of course I would first check the TCM fuse in the rear fuse box. And then power and ground at the TCM.
If you have the code # I can supply more information.

Good luck and Keep us informed.
richsadams likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
05 SSR

My SSR:
I should have given a little more info. I started with new connector bolt on neg battery terminal that was very corroded and cleaned multiple grounds that looked good. No joy. Replaced battery no help. this problem appears to be heat related. Ok after cool down, but acts up after driving for awhile.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
05 SSR

My SSR:
Thanks for the help. I'm going to sign up for life membership. I've used FORScan for some of my other vehicles, I'm going to see if they have a program for the TCM. Has any one tried this for programing the TCM?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
moreymwin, more help will probably come in, but meantime----Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

--Also if you haven't yet, go to "FORUMS", "SSRFanatics News & Polls", click "New Member section", click "Post New Thread" and introduce Yourself!!

And, if you decide on a "Lifetime or Premium" Membership, you will get more benefits and no ads!? and show appreciation for tips and help. Click "Get Premium" under the Red Banner, read and compare the Advantages!!

Nick & Kathy
Auggie Doggie likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Quote:
Thanks for the help. I'm going to sign up for life membership. I've used FORScan for some of my other vehicles, I'm going to see if they have a program for the TCM. Has any one tried this for programing the TCM?
I think that FORScan is only for Ford products, plus it can scan computers but can't program without a J2534 pass thru adapter that is CONNECTED to a computer with a subscription service!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:49 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Quote:
I should have given a little more info. I started with new connector bolt on neg battery terminal that was very corroded and cleaned multiple grounds that looked good. No joy. Replaced battery no help. this problem appears to be heat related. Ok after cool down, but acts up after driving for awhile.
This being an 05 and happens after it is hot, could it be the broken wire in the under hood fuse box? You might want to go to Dicktator's library and read up on under hood fuse box repair
VI Ken likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:29 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
"morey" my 05 did they same thing about a year or two ago ... Transmission Control Module was the culprit !!! Replaced it ... no problems since. Replacement is easy !!! hondaconvert has the SSR now !!! tennesseecozydog
hondaconvert likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROPE View Post
Probably should change the ignition switch first and see what that does
YES! Change ignition switch! Everything goes thru ignition switch. Get ACDelco D1426D there are "knock off's" out there.

SSR How to Library: Look up IGNITION SWITCH INSTALL

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator
richsadams likes this.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:54 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
YES! ABSOLUTELY! That is EXACTLY what happened to mine when my TCM went out in my 2005. Door locks cycled up/down on their own. Has to do with the transmission codes telling the door module that the tranny is in PARK, so the doors unlock. When this happens next, look at the PRNDL indicator and watch it indicate from "D" to "P" in rapid succession. It's not going to fix itself and it requires the dealer to code the new TCM to the SSR. I just did mine about a year ago ... total cost $600 ($300 parts + $300 labor)
Good luck!
Bee75 and richsadams like this.

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:27 PM
Trygodfirst
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Yes dicktator says never leave home without one
I ordered two for our 2003. Gonna change original out and kept a spare in the back
Simple engineering sell them
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
TCM easy change on 05/06, ECM/TCM mounted on same bracket near radiator on Drivers side.

SSR How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

1. 05/06 ECM and TCM are together next to windshield washer tank.
2. Easy remove replace
3. Does not have to be programed by Vin#
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16-0614 10.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	550081   Click image for larger version

Name:	16-0614 11.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	550083   Click image for larger version

Name:	16-0614 22.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	550085  
richsadams likes this.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:33 AM
RedHotSSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Redline 2004 Purchased 2011 41,000 mi.
Angry $300 Labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbush View Post
YES! ABSOLUTELY! That is EXACTLY what happened to mine when my TCM went out in my 2005. Door locks cycled up/down on their own. Has to do with the transmission codes telling the door module that the tranny is in PARK, so the doors unlock. When this happens next, look at the PRNDL indicator and watch it indicate from "D" to "P" in rapid succession. It's not going to fix itself and it requires the dealer to code the new TCM to the SSR. I just did mine about a year ago ... total cost $600 ($300 parts + $300 labor)
Good luck!
WOW $300 labor?? Doesn't look very labor intensive in Dick's Post. Guessing they expected to take two hours researching how to diagnose and make the repair from Dictators "How To Library"
richsadams likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
T
1. 05/06 ECM and TCM are together next to windshield washer tank.
2. Easy remove replace
3. Does not have to be programed by Vin#
Dicktator
Did you discover another mistake in the service manual or was this a typo from an early morning response?

Service manual says it must be programmed (they have been wrong before!) - I cannot tell for sure if the ECM or TCM is the gateway module (translates the information on the low speed network to the high speed network) If it is the gateway module then I believe it needs programming, because it needs to know what information it should be receiving or transmitting and therefore programmed to the specific vehicle.
I do know that failure to program the TCM will cause oil life monitor to reset to 100% (big deal just change the oil!)
nj6969 likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:28 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Additional information and Edit to post #4

I believe the code you are getting is U1024
Is this the only code? Do a system scan
If you clear all codes then drive it until problem reoccurs is this the only code that comes back.

If yes to both
There are actually 3 fuses to test.
need to test with engine running when problem is acting up using a voltmeter with black lead connected to good ground
#31 and #32 underhood fuse box -- should be 13- 14 volts with engine running on both sides of fuse and rear fuse box #29 again 13-14 volts on both sides
If both ok need to start testing at TCM if lower than 10 volts then suspect ignition switch.
richsadams likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
05 SSR

My SSR:
Replaced TCM yesterday. Seems ok but haven't driven much yet. Ordered part form Spartan auto work. $245.00. They flashed it for my 2005 SSR. (Needed or not I don't know) Install was easy. If anyone knows of PC software for maintenance, I would really appreciate it. OBD2 scanner is very limited.
richsadams likes this.

2005 SSR
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Hopefully you got it fixed. Thanks for the update.

Nick

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
I too hope (and believe) you got it fixed

Seems like a very reasonable price also.

Thank you for updating us on your progress -- something I wish other members asking for assistance would do on a more regular basis.
We can all benefit from these updates and confirmed fixes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in