LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Question Another Fast Blinker

Hi All,

Quick question about the common fast-blinking turn signal issue with the new '05 R I recently had the privilege of acquiring.

The previous owner, SeattleTerry, installed LEDs throughout which is cool. However it's suffering from the dreaded "fast blinker" syndrome. I asked Terry about it and he didn't recall it doing that and couldn't remember what-all had been done at this point.

So I did my research here and learned that probably all it needed was one of the recommended turn signal modules. (Even found Terry's original post about it here).

Terry kept immaculate records of everything that's ever been done to the R (bless his heart) and I found a receipt for an LM487 Electronic LED Flasher Module from LEDLight.com dated July 2010. Apparently one failed right away and they sent him another one. I'm assuming he installed it.

I also noted that Bee75 said that the LM487 took care of the issue on his R as well on this post.

I cannot find the post, but I recall reading a note from an employee of the original company that manufactures the turn signal module saying that there are "knock-offs" out there that are problematic and to get their genuine part if there's a problem.

Also, I found a receipt for two 6 Ohm LED Light Bulb Load Equalizers that Terry purchased in July of 2012.

Wondering if the turn signal module might be faulty, failing or if it's the load equalizer, or...

Soooo... with all of that... I've been a "gear head" since my teens and have no problem digging into things like this, but I could use some troubleshooting advice from the experts here as to where to begin.

TIA!
Bee75 likes this.

Cheers,

Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:05 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
More information on my SSR How to Library: Look up BRAKE LIGHT LED

TRIDON LM 487, original Flasher designed to operate LED is OK for 2003 & 2004 SSR.

UPDATE: LM486 IS THE NEW FLASHER!!

For the 2005 & 2006 SSR because of Cruise Control problems.

Other Brands do not work as well.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator
Bee75 and richsadams like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post

TRIDON LM 487, original Flasher designed to operate LED is OK for 2003 & 2004 SSR.

Dicktator
Awesome, thanks so much!

I wonder why it was apparently working for Terry? Didn't notice any other issues besides the über-fast blinking, so it'll be nice to hopefully have "normal" activity soon.

In any case, I will order the new one.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post

Dicktator
Quick follow-up. RockAuto and AutoZone both list the Novita/Tridon LM486, but RockAuto's is about half the price.

RockAuto LM486

AutoZone LM486

Also found a bunch of them on eBay for various prices.

The price isn't as important as getting things right, but why spend more if you don't have to? Any preferences or any to steer clear of?

Thanks again!

UPDATE: The local AutoZone has one so I'll pick it up tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

Cheers,

Rich

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Success! It turns out that Terry had it set up for towing (although he never ended up towing anything). When they did that it looks like a heavy-duty lighting control module was installed that could handle trailer lights, etc., probably replacing the LM487.

So I installed a new LM486 Novita Lighting Control Module and the turn signals work normally now.

I've attached photos of the offending module and the new one. $52.00 was a small price to pay to avoid anymore embarrassing turns.

Mystery solved. Thanks very much Dicktator!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7827.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	546373   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 ssr LM486.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	546375  
nj6969 and VI Ken like this.

Cheers,

Rich

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:26 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Success! It turns out that Terry had it set up for towing (although he never ended up towing anything). When they did that it looks like a heavy-duty lighting control module was installed that could handle trailer lights, etc., probably replacing the LM487.

So I installed a new LM486 Novita Lighting Control Module and the turn signals work normally now.

I've attached photos of the offending module and the new one. $52.00 was a small price to pay to avoid anymore embarrassing turns.

Mystery solved. Thanks very much Dicktator!
If you end up towing a trailer just make sure it has LEDs and there should be no problems and even with incandescent bulbs on the trailer there should not be any difficulties. might just slow down the blink a bit.
richsadams likes this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
If you end up towing a trailer just make sure it has LEDs and there should be no problems and even with incandescent bulbs on the trailer there should not be any difficulties. might just slow down the blink a bit.
Good advice, thanks! I'm almost certain I won't be towing anything if I can avoid it, but never say never!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in