• 1 Post By xoxoxoBruce
  • 1 Post By Greg Ducato

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Two Tone Jet Black&Chrome Auto
Before it would only "chirp"but now............

I had Greg at Phoenix rebuild my transmission and install a 3000rpm STALL TORQUE CONVERTER. They installed a Master rebuild kit with all the clutches, steel rings, and gaskets and a heavy duty torque converter, also upgraded the transmission for the 150 extra horsepower incase I decide to install a MagnaCharger later.

I may not need that blower, before the truck would only chirp the tires from a standing start and then "ho hum" acceleration after that. NOW standing start, transmission in 3, remove foot from brake and punch it, 50 plus feet of twin black marks and sets you back in the seat to 60 mph!

I drove the truck 600 miles yesterday and could not be happier. The truck handled so much quicker in the Dallas/Fort Worth freeway traffic. It is like driving a different truck.

I bought an '04, loved the truck, but it was a cruiser, I traded for a '05, loved the truck but it was a cruiser, NOW it is what I wanted when I bought the truck.

When I talked to Greg I told him what I wanted, "Not going to the track but I want to lay rubber and impress the boys down at the service station". Boy did he give me what I asked for!

A sidelight, the truck has 68000 miles, driven for pleasure, punched once in a while but not driven aggressively, had the Corvette Servo, filter, fluid change at 30,000 miles. Greg told me that he did not think the truck would have made it back to Mississippi in the condition the transmission was in, that we would have been setting on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed. All the bands and drums were severely worn and the snap ring that holds the bellows was loose and the bellows was floating.

Thank you Greg!

Jack

One word description "WOW"!

It is not easy being a Hyper Old Person.

Jack Pruitt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:14 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatg450 View Post
I had Greg at Phoenix rebuild my transmission and install a 3000rpm STALL TORQUE CONVERTER. They installed a Master rebuild kit with all the clutches, steel rings, and gaskets and a heavy duty torque converter, also upgraded the transmission for the 150 extra horsepower incase I decide to install a MagnaCharger later.

I may not need that blower, before the truck would only chirp the tires from a standing start and then "ho hum" acceleration after that. NOW standing start, transmission in 3, remove foot from brake and punch it, 50 plus feet of twin black marks and sets you back in the seat to 60 mph!

I drove the truck 600 miles yesterday and could not be happier. The truck handled so much quicker in the Dallas/Fort Worth freeway traffic. It is like driving a different truck.

I bought an '04, loved the truck, but it was a cruiser, I traded for a '05, loved the truck but it was a cruiser, NOW it is what I wanted when I bought the truck.

When I talked to Greg I told him what I wanted, "Not going to the track but I want to lay rubber and impress the boys down at the service station". Boy did he give me what I asked for!

A sidelight, the truck has 68000 miles, driven for pleasure, punched once in a while but not driven aggressively, had the Corvette Servo, filter, fluid change at 30,000 miles. Greg told me that he did not think the truck would have made it back to Mississippi in the condition the transmission was in, that we would have been setting on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed. All the bands and drums were severely worn and the snap ring that holds the bellows was loose and the bellows was floating.

Thank you Greg!

Jack

One word description "WOW"!
I guess you will be buying more tires now.
CruDawg and Jersey red like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR) 2005 Flame Pace Trk (CFO's)
Don't let Paco get behind the wheel.......
CruDawg likes this.

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 01:10 PM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
Sounds like you're in Hot Rod Heaven!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 01:31 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 Redline Red FPR
The guy is amazing... He did my tranny a few years back. He takes away that boat anchor feel coming out of the hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 04:55 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
03 Slingshot #2924
I have a similarly rebuilt 4L60E from Greg. Other Fanatics should know that Greg provides a 10% discount to veterans.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 08:52 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Greg is the top, the very best you can get. I missed the Texas rally because I wasn't going to settle for another rebuilt local piece of crap, but I'm not sorry I went first class, not for a minute.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:27 AM
RedHotSSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Redline 2004 Purchased 2011 41,000 mi.
Smoking!!!

NOW your truly a "Smoking" Asphalt Black SSR. LONG may you run with your tires smoking off the line. Enjoy.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:02 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Silver over Black 6 speed, EX-X-R no gauge pod, no bed carpet
Glad you are happy with the results Jack, now you have some smoke to go along with that beautiful flame job.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:41 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Slvr born 11-19-04, Flowmaster Cats, Borla Dual Exh, K&N Filter, Vette servo, custom tune, lowrd.
Garage
Greg rebuilt my tranny too. It was his old R. Ran great until I kissed the center concrete divider on the highway. Even though it was not damaged too bad, just left front, insurance still totaled it. I still have it. I bought another '05. I just bought the Corvette servo to install in my new '05 from Greg. It still runs great though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Accident photo 001.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	549513   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Accident photo 005.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	549515  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:26 PM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
Just goes to show, performance ain't all about horsepower and torque. Ya gotta hook them ponies up to the asphalt.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:37 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 Custom Flamed Slingshot Yellow
We own a transmission shop in Utah and have since 1988 and have built hundreds of transmissions for race cars,so when I went to find a stall converter for my SSR and trailblazer SS I couldnít find what I wanted for a reasonable price so I contacted Greg and he sent me two torque converters and Iíve never been happier! More than fair prices and fantastic quality! Plus the smile on my face every time I punch it.

Permagrin....
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
If you want to know how Greg builds and tests the torque convertors, go to the Phoenix Transmission site and read Doc Frohmader's description(GM Lockup Converters) of Greg's work.
There's even a picture of the rogue himself testing the finished product.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in