post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:38 PM
SSR Enthusiast
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'04 Ricochet Silver #10111
Be sure to turn the dial......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAZULU View Post
It can't, the fan itself don't decide at what temp it start, the pcm does. If you want to limit the temp to thermostat opening temp, just turn on the ac, even with top down and voila

Just make sure you turn the AC dial to floorboard cooling or you'll have condensation pouring out of your AC vents in a few minutes. Trust me-I found out the hard way.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:33 PM

My SSR:
2003, red, daily driver, 100,000+ miles. SOLD to Kenman! "Replaced" with a 2001 Chrysler Prowler.
Thanks for the links Dictator, already read all that. Even watched a YouTube video on fan replacement. But I was interested in adding the auxiliary fan rather than replacing the factory one.

If the factory fan cannot cool the temperature once overheated, then the fan is insufficiently designed for the heat load. Lowering the temperature is really just a bandaid if the airflow is insufficient. The fact that it's an airflow issue is validated by the fact that the temperature drops so rapidly once the truck is moving.

I'll let the next owner do (and pay for) any additional cooling system enhancements. Right now, I'm looking for the cheapest solution. I wish he would have bought the thing during that fall or winter!
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:41 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeRacer View Post
Thanks for the links Dictator, already read all that. Even watched a YouTube video on fan replacement. But I was interested in adding the auxiliary fan rather than replacing the factory one.

If the factory fan cannot cool the temperature once overheated, then the fan is insufficiently designed for the heat load. Lowering the temperature is really just a bandaid if the airflow is insufficient. The fact that it's an airflow issue is validated by the fact that the temperature drops so rapidly once the truck is moving.

I'll let the next owner do (and pay for) any additional cooling system enhancements. Right now, I'm looking for the cheapest solution. I wish he would have bought the thing during that fall or winter!
First, let me assure you that the OEM cooling fan is designed to handle the heat load of the SSR in all conditions. GM engineering did their job. The place where the fan falls short is in reliability. The fan has serious reliability shortcomings. I blame this on sourcing, not engineering.

I'm going to wager that you either have the beginnings of a fan failure (they become intermittent first - - makes troubleshooting difficult). The intermittent comes from the sometimes on and sometimes off connection of the brushes to the commutator. It is an electrical motor issue..... the brush holder are too tight and get sticky when they get crap in them.

You can remedy the brush holder issue by disassembling the fan motor and cleaning the brush holders. I think you can get two cleanings on the motor before the bent-over housing tabs get hard to manage.

- - - OR - - - - you have a burnt connector to the fan.

The connector is easy to troubleshoot...... disconnect the connector from the fan, inspect and test the three female connections in the plug. This is easily done using a 1/4" male slip connector (looks like something you would see on a speaker) by pushing it in and testing the "pin retention" of the female sockets. If someone has shoved a voltmeter probe into the connector during troubleshooting, it's gonna cause trouble exactly like this. The initial onset of difficulties looks like an intermittent connection. If left long enough, it will end up getting hot and melting the connector.

The Auxiliary fan is a good tool, but it was never intended to replace the airflow of the main fan.

For the record...... The only main fan replacement u-tube video that I recommend is from Robert Baller at RetroCarGuy530.com

Regards,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:44 PM
SSR Pit Crew

I had the same problem you are having. I ordered my replacement fan from Mike Simple Engineering and the problem is fixed. We also tow a Boston Whaler with it and zero problems. Just a simple switch out and then enjoy the Roadster. You have plenty of SSRFanaric in your area. Check us out.
Life is Good.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:40 AM
RedHotSSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Redline 2004 Purchased 2011 41,000 mi.
Thumbs down Another "Repair Shop Rip OFF"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425 Cliff View Post
My SSR overheated yesterday and the repair shop says the cooling fan failed and it is a $1,500 part. The Tech Forum back in May 2011 has pictures where JimBob performed a relatively simple repair. Has anyone tried this repair and found it to work? Alternate idea; does anyone know of a rebuilder for this item vs replacement?
$1500. FOR NEW FAN AND LABOR!!!!!!!!!!!! Fortunate for you that the Forum is here and can answer many if not all your service questions. Yes Simple Engineering is the first place to go for most if not ALL the OEM upgrades you need for your R. PLEASE contact them on this and ask for a list of ALL the recommended upgrade parts you should consider purchasing to keep your R on the road and out of these "Rip off" repair shops. $1500.
DOOPHUS likes this.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 AM

My SSR:
2003, red, daily driver, 100,000+ miles. SOLD to Kenman! "Replaced" with a 2001 Chrysler Prowler.
Thanks for all the information Mike! Until recently, I've owned GM vehicles almost exclusively my entire life. And cooling issues have been an issue with many of them, so I naturally suspected GM under-engineered the cooling system in the SSR as well. It's good to know that's not the case here. I am shocked they didn't put a shroud on the factory fan. That alone would have significantly increased the cooling effectiveness of the fan.

Based on your input, called Kenman (the new owner) to come over here and help me. We'll troubleshoot and, in the process, decide whether to repair or replace the factory fan.

I didn't run across the YouTube video you recommended. Here's the video I found:

The process looks shockingly easy.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
@extremeRacer , I have an OEM if you and/or new owner want to use it until you get a replacement. 214-369-1081

Nick
Autoprof likes this.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:24 AM

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj6969 View Post
@extremeRacer , I have an OEM if you and/or new owner want to use it until you get a replacement. 214-369-1081

Nick
Wow Nick, what a generous offer! Thanks.
Autoprof likes this.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotSSR View Post
$1500. FOR NEW FAN AND LABOR!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have to understand the language, mechanic-speak. In English he said, I don't want to work on your truck.

Quote:
And that's with one hand tied behind his ... camera.
Bee75 and richsadams like this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:17 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You have to understand the language, mechanic-speak. In English he said, I don't want to work on your truck.

And that's with one hand tied behind his ... camera.
Yep1 You should see Mike do it - Something under five minutes, I believe, from open the hood to close the hood. He uses two hands and a Makita!

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:46 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
Thanks for all the information Mike! Until recently, I've owned GM vehicles almost exclusively my entire life. And cooling issues have been an issue with many of them, so I naturally suspected GM under-engineered the cooling system in the SSR as well. It's good to know that's not the case here. I am shocked they didn't put a shroud on the factory fan. That alone would have significantly increased the cooling effectiveness of the fan.

Based on your input, called Kenman (the new owner) to come over here and help me. We'll troubleshoot and, in the process, decide whether to repair or replace the factory fan.

I didn't run across the YouTube video you recommended. Here's the video I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTS_qmhL4Bo

I looked at the YouTube video you posted. This is NOT how I recommend replacing the cooling fan. You do NOT want to take it out the bottom. My fans install from above, without requiring a lift or ramps or jacks.....

Here is the link to my approved install method. And Dwight is right..... if I use my Makita, my record time for a complete remove and install is 4 minutes and 50 seconds. It takes a longer to watch the video than actually do the job....

Robert has a whole lot of great videos on his site. All of the ones about my products have been approved by me.

Regards,

Mike
richsadams likes this.

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:55 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
BlueStreak is correct! Only licensed tuner can set/change fan speeds.

Speeds are set in ECM and can only be changed by going into the ECM computer.

Dealer can not change Fan setting by Law, factory set.

Tuner can set LOW at 192 and HIGH at 210, this eliminates overheating from fan setting.

More information on SSR How to Library

Dicktator

I need some clarification. I believe I have Mikes fan setup (both main and auxiliary) and there is a (switch box) with a knob or two on the right inner fender. I've never fooled with that switch box, but I assumed if I did......it would be to alter the temp at which the fan would operate. If not............what is that switch box for.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:18 AM

My SSR:
Update: Kenny came over and we worked on the SSR. The clearcoat was peeling on the top of the tailgate. I removed the loose stuff, sanded it down with 800 grit sandpaper and sprayed it with some Krylon clear. I'm pretty proud of the results!

There are paint chips on the truck. I bought several shades and brands of red spray paint at Walmart. We picked what looked like the closest match based on the cap. Kenny sprayed the paint into the cap, applied it to the chips with a Q-tip then smoothed it with a small paintbrush. The paint matched perfectly!

We removed the fan. Found out what Mike was talking about with the tabs. After breaking one tab off we decided to stop. We put everything back together.

Coolant was low so Kenny added a gallon. He said the running temp dropped significantly. Ooops... guess I shoulda checked that first!

Freon was low so Kenny added about half a can. He reported that the AC now blows cold instead of just cool air.

Kenny is going on a road trip so we'll see how everything goes.

Thanks for all the advice and info! Kenny is now a happy and proud SSR owner.
nj6969 likes this.
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Quote:
Update: Kenny came over and we worked on the SSR.
Thanks for all the advice and info! Kenny is now a happy and proud SSR owner.
Tell Kenny to let me know and we can meet at Kellers some Saturday night.

Nick

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
check out my Thread, may help.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...solved-251219/

Dicktator

post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:54 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
I need some clarification. I believe I have Mikes fan setup (both main and auxiliary) and there is a (switch box) with a knob or two on the right inner fender. I've never fooled with that switch box, but I assumed if I did......it would be to alter the temp at which the fan would operate. If not............what is that switch box for.
That switch box is just for the auxiliary fan. I’m ASSuming you can use it to override the factory computer controlling the auxiliary fan. Let’s say the fan comes on when it’s grounded. That ground can come from the factory computer. But it can also come from that switch box as long as it is set to ground at a lower temperature than the computer. The fan doesn’t care what grounds it. It’s dumb and just starts spinning when it’s grounded.
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:12 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

The box you are referring to is the thermostat control for the Auxiliary Fan. The knob will adjust the temperature setting for the Aux Fan to turn on. That control box also has an INPUT from the main fan to tell it when the main fan is running. The Aux fan will come on any time the main fan is commanded on.

extremeRacer is mistaken on his assessment of the control box..... The relay inside the box actually switches power to the Auxiliary fan.

MOSCOOTER - - If you need the installation instructions, calibration procedure and schematic for the Aux Fan, just send me an email and I'll forward the PDF. [email protected]

Regards,

Mike
BlueStreak likes this.

post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:29 AM
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
I looked at the YouTube video you posted. This is NOT how I recommend replacing the cooling fan. You do NOT want to take it out the bottom. My fans install from above, without requiring a lift or ramps or jacks.....

Here is the link to my approved install method. And Dwight is right..... if I use my Makita, my record time for a complete remove and install is 4 minutes and 50 seconds. It takes a longer to watch the video than actually do the job....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VugEWlWRVDM

Robert has a whole lot of great videos on his site. All of the ones about my products have been approved by me.

Regards,

Mike

I hate to correct Mike but his record is not 4 Min. 50 Sec. In Denison I timed him from the time he picked up the drill till he was closing the hood on my Blur - 4 Min. 34 Sec. He changed it so I could get the tune done without a redo on setting the turn on temps. I am still amazed how quick he can do this job. This is the only time I have known Mike to be wrong about anything concerning his fan!
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:53 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSReplay View Post
I hate to correct Mike but his record is not 4 Min. 50 Sec. In Denison I timed him from the time he picked up the drill till he was closing the hood on my Blur - 4 Min. 34 Sec. He changed it so I could get the tune done without a redo on setting the turn on temps. I am still amazed how quick he can do this job. This is the only time I have known Mike to be wrong about anything concerning his fan!
Ok...... so I donít remember everything as accurately as I used to.... ya-hahahaha.

At least when I err, itís on the conservative side.

Have a great day.

Mike
SSReplay and PokerGuy like this.

post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 AM

My SSR:
"extremeRacer is mistaken on his assessment of the control box..... The relay inside the box actually switches power to the Auxiliary fan" - I wondered if it switched power instead of ground and thought about adding that but I was at Discount Tire getting a screw removed from the tire of the Prowler. I was on my phone watching the tire guy work and decided it wasn't important enough to spend the extra time typing it.
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:26 AM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
I am selling my SSR to a friend but I have an issue... my SSR overheats (dash warning light comes on) whenever I have the AC on and am stopped. As soon as I start to move (within a block or two), the temperature immediately drops to a normal range. I checked the fan operation and both high and low speed fan operation are as designed. I was thinking that leaving the factory fan in place and adding Mike's auxiliary fan kit would be the best option but I'm (somewhat) open to advice/suggestions.

Here's my thinking...

Auxiliary fan ~ $240
- The factory fan works and is doing the best it can.
- The auxiliary fan will help the factory fan
- I can program the auxiliary fan to come on sooner and run longer (after the SSR is shut off).
- Being able to adjust the on/off temps eliminates the need to buy a programmer to reprogram the factory computer.

Downside:
- I'm still trusting the factory fan to keep on working.

Obviously, another option is to buy one of Mike's better replacement fans.
But I lose the ability to customize the on/off temps unless I buy a computer reprogram controller.

Direct replacement ~ $390
Heavy duty ~ $480

BTW, I live in Dallas, TX and this is already an issue and we haven't even hit hot temperatures yet.

I wanted to read the auxiliary fan installation instructions but the link doesn't work. Does anyone have the instructions?

I my past, I would have simply made a shroud for the factory fan like GM should have done. $10 in materials and less than a day's work. But these days my time is too valuable.

Again, thanks for any input.
Like others have said, just get and install Mike's fan and forget about it. Maybe not necessary for you since your coolant may just have been low, but sound advice for anyone else that stumbles across this thread. We have one on our R and it works flawlessly. Comes on when the A/C is engaged and keeps it around 210.

Ours was performance/dyno tuned by Joe Delano at Left Coast 32 and apparently he didn't lower the fan activation settings as ours runs around 210 without the fan running most of the time.

My $.02

Cheers,

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in