post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 SSR
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

As a interested (still looking for one) SSR buyer, I'm following along with all these recommended changes. Actually, I'm kinda "stunned" at the number of different "fixes" that many seem to feel are really needed to get everything (right).
I thought about this before I bought mine. However these trucks are 11-14 years old and were really one off designs. So to me it is not surprising that little tweaks here and there have been needed and have been developed. The GREAT part is the support for these 'upgrades'. This truck has such a strong following that all of these DIY fixes have been designed, published and you can BUY them. I think this is impressive and goes to show the great quality of people here and their dedication to making the SSR an enjoyment to own and drive!
nj6969 and SSReplay like this.

Best Regards,

WALSTON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:32 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walston View Post
Can you shed some more light on this issue? I don't know what the bed light fix is and what problem it is fixing. I couldn't find anything with a search.
Walston, It is in the Library--"Bed Light Fix"----A simple Fuse change, and Bed Cover dome light bulb change!! HA! "So easy a cave man can do it"

Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 SSR
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj6969 View Post
Walston, It is in the Library--"Bed Light Fix"----A simple Fuse change, and Bed Cover dome light bulb change!! HA! "So easy a cave man can do it"

Nick
Git it, Thanks

Best Regards,

WALSTON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Ralph and Ruth

My SSR:
'04 Smokin' Asphalt, #13443, tuned by Joe Delano
Garage
Built it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walston View Post
I thought about this before I bought mine. However these trucks are 11-14 years old and were really one off designs. So to me it is not surprising that little tweaks here and there have been needed and have been developed. The GREAT part is the support for these 'upgrades'. This truck has such a strong following that all of these DIY fixes have been designed, published and you can BUY them. I think this is impressive and goes to show the great quality of people here and their dedication to making the SSR an enjoyment to own and drive!
My quest to fix the R before something happens is at the point where if someone were to ask my wife if we built it ourselves she would probably say "Yeah, pretty much!".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:16 PM

My SSR:
2005 Chevrolet SSR Aqua Blur
Garage
Are there courtesy lights in the floor on the R or is the only light from the rear view mirror?
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:29 PM

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue #332 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaBlur05 View Post
Are there courtesy lights in the floor on the R or is the only light from the rear view mirror?
The only light in the cab is on the mirror. You can do like I and several others have done, add LED lights under the dash and wire them into the mirror light. Dicktator has a write up about this, where you don't have to run a wire to the mirror. Only to the right kick panel where the wiring goes up to the windshield area.
AquaBlur05 likes this.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:37 PM

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue #332 of 532
Quote:

As a interested (still looking for one) SSR buyer, I'm following along with all these recommended changes. Actually, I'm kinda "stunned" at the number of different "fixes" that many seem to feel are really needed to get everything (right).

Having just scanned the ignition switch (how to) file, It didn't seem to be what I would call a (3:00 A.M. type of fix)...............plus can I hear some further commentary on how many have had ignition switch failures. I've owned multiple GM cars/trucks since the 50's and none ever gave me an ignition switch failure.
GM's ignition switches have had issues starting with the 99 newer Silverado trucks and the 02 newer Trailblazer. This is the same switch the SSR uses too. I have replaced many of these switches over the years on these vehicles. The switch is like a old set of points in a point type distributor. And we all know how they had to be replaced all the time. The newer gray cover switch has been more failure proof then the all black one has been. The gray cover switches started appearing in 05. So there is a chance if you have a 05 or 06 you may have the gray switch already.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:

Having just scanned the ignition switch (how to) file, It didn't seem to be what I would call a (3:00 A.M. type of fix)...............plus can I hear some further commentary on how many have had ignition switch failures. I've owned multiple GM cars/trucks since the 50's and none ever gave me an ignition switch failure.
Most aren't "fixes", most are upgrades, trying to head 'em off at the pass or improve factory performance. We have a lot of SSRs out there which are bone stock and the owners want them that way. I think the core members here are more interested in better performance, handling, and reliability. From daily drivers like myself to people who travel with them, we want them to be all that they can be.

One of the problems with this forum is perception. Among the 24,000 built, there must be at least 20,000 still in action, and we have "16,400 members". But those are just people who signed up at one time and may not even own an SSR any more. Some of them came here because they had a problem,(which I'm sure we solved) then never came back. That makes the site look like the SSR is plagued with problems when it's really not.

The ignition switch problem is real and not limited to the SSR. It came with the changes in electrical architecture across the industry, as a result of new electric gizmos and possibilities. This was back in 2003-06, and it's only gotten worse. Stupid people dying because their keyrings weight 3 lbs and don't know what to do when the engine dies, is just bizarre.

You can decide what you think you need for yourself, but don't make the mistake of thinking we don't know what we're talking about... most of the time.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in