• 1 Post By xoxoxoBruce
  • 1 Post By SWT RYD
  • 2 Post By SWT RYD
  • 1 Post By moscooter
  • 1 Post By SWT RYD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Differential cover gasket

Hi everyone, Does anyone have the GM part number for the rear end differential cover gasket? I can opnly seem to find one for a 10 bolt cover. My 2006 Manual has a 14 bolt cover. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapout View Post
Hi everyone, Does anyone have the GM part number for the rear end differential cover gasket? I can opnly seem to find one for a 10 bolt cover. My 2006 Manual has a 14 bolt cover. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Here is one of many choices to get a gasket that will fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Differen...-/361777603539

Now, why do you need one? If it so happens that you are doing and/or planning for a rear gear swap, you might want to consider getting a custom rear end cover from Simple Engineering. Not only would it have a little increased capacity for the lube, it looks a lot better than the stock cover does...........and a gear swap usually calls for a drain/refill of lube after the first 500 miles worth of "break in"........these new covers have a drain plug and thus you can do a drain/refill without unbolting 14 bolts and having a mess and then a new gasket again.

I got one of those and am now about to do the drain/refill and I'm happy that I do not have to pull the whole damn cover off to do it.
BlueStreak and 90 Fatboy like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:43 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
#118755, DOB 12/2/04, 2005, 6 spd, smokin asphalt, boards, bed carpet, gauges, purchased June, 2013
Garage
Gm # 26063649

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep on Truck-N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:12 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 1SB/6spd Redline Red
Well, since the part # is already posted, I'll delve into the rear diff cover.... There is nothing wrong with the factory cover - in fact, you may be better off with it in the long run.

Until recently, I was always onboard with the "more oil is better" idea. Gale Banks has done some extensive testing recently and what he found tosses so much of that theory out the window.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mizIEj-UX4WBBm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

Here is one of many choices to get a gasket that will fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Differen...-/361777603539

Now, why do you need one? If it so happens that you are doing and/or planning for a rear gear swap, you might want to consider getting a custom rear end cover from Simple Engineering. Not only would it have a little increased capacity for the lube, it looks a lot better than the stock cover does...........and a gear swap usually calls for a drain/refill of lube after the first 500 miles worth of "break in"........these new covers have a drain plug and thus you can do a drain/refill without unbolting 14 bolts and having a mess and then a new gasket again.

I got one of those and am now about to do the drain/refill and I'm happy that I do not have to pull the whole damn cover off to do it.

Don't have to take the stock cover off to drain fluid, there's a drain plug in the bottom of the housing.
90 Fatboy likes this.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:04 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckNRod View Post
Gm # 26063649
Yep, that's the good part# - a real quality gasket. Stay away from an outfit called " Lubelocker " - they market high dollar axle gaskets that don't fit worth a damn!!

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:07 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssr71 View Post
Well, since the part # is already posted, I'll delve into the rear diff cover.... There is nothing wrong with the factory cover - in fact, you may be better off with it in the long run.

Until recently, I was always onboard with the "more oil is better" idea. Gale Banks has done some extensive testing recently and what he found tosses so much of that theory out the window.

I think Banks makes the point that over-filling is bad, not increased volume.
ggoat!!! likes this.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
I think Banks makes the point that over-filling is bad, not increased volume.

Waiting for a little warmer weather (hopefully within a week) to get mine up on the ramps and go thru the drain/refill. I did not know the housing had a drain plug, that is a good thing.

As to "over-filling", I'm not quite sure how that could occur. As I understand it, the fill plug located on upper side of housing indicates "full" when the lube level is at the fill hole or slightly below it.

Trying to exceed the fluid level needed, would cause the fluid to be oozing right back out the fill hole...........What am I missing here.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Best post all day!! Thanks!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:

Waiting for a little warmer weather (hopefully within a week) to get mine up on the ramps and go thru the drain/refill. I did not know the housing had a drain plug, that is a good thing.

As to "over-filling", I'm not quite sure how that could occur. As I understand it, the fill plug located on upper side of housing indicates "full" when the lube level is at the fill hole or slightly below it.

Trying to exceed the fluid level needed, would cause the fluid to be oozing right back out the fill hole...........What am I missing here.
The actual fill level is 15-40mm below the fill hole - 2.7 qts. is the listed fill amount and should get you right there.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:01 AM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
Regarding the extra capacity of the larger rear end covers that Mike In Az sells, when I used to pull my Airstream with the stock rear-end cover (and fresh gear oil) after a long pull up a big climb in the Smokies (when it wasn't even that hot out) my rear end spit fluid out of the top vent tube. It wasn't over-full.

The dealer replaced the cover and the fluid when I got home (only partly because it was a rusty mess even when new). Next trip, it did it again. It used to groan and whine on big climbs out west...I even posted here years ago in the middle of a trip thinking the rear was about to go out. Thankfully it didn't, but it didn't sound happy going up climbs pulling a trailer.

Then, (years ago now) I bought one of Mike's finned extra capacity aluminum covers. It is filled just below the port on the housing. I haven't had a concern of any sort since. No spitting fluid, no whine, no noise, no ANYTHING. And it looks cool too.

I consider that a difference-maker.

BTW...remember that when filling, if you have the back of the truck raised to get under it to fill it, when you lower it back down you will be over-full if you filled it when the rear was raised to just where the fluid drips out. Make sure you compensate for that.
90 Fatboy likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
03 Redline, 8700 miles, automatic, and a 05 Aqua, 6400 miles, 6 speed
With Mike's cover you can leave the plug in on the side of the diff and continue to fill through the opening in the top of Mike's cover, but this can cause an overfill to happen.
ggoat!!! likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:33 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
The actual fill level is 15-40mm below the fill hole - 2.7 qts. is the listed fill amount and should get you right there.

Topspin.....I agree with your capacity quote of 2.7 Qts. That is the figure given in the Shop Manual in Section 0-25.

Now, we kinda part company with your measurement info. The same Shop Manual in Section 4-26 describes the correct fill amount in a different manner. It says "0 to 10MM" and/or "0 to 0.4" below fill plug opening.

Obvious question would be when refilling an empty rearend, and you have added 2.7 qts and then stop. How far below the fill hole would the level be???? (All assuming the truck is level while doing all this as pointed out in a subsequent post.)

Your (get you right there) measurements are both min and max below what the Shop Manual recommends. Add in the "extra capacity" of an SE cover, and I'm gonna assume a proper amount would be greater than 2.7 qts.

My tube of "additive" is 7 oz. Directions say use the whole tube. So my plan would be to put two quarts of lube in the hole then add the (additive) and then top it off to the fill hole with part of another quart of lube.

I believe all should be OK following that procedure. Open to any commentary that says someone disagrees.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssr71 View Post

I can't find part 3 of his series?
I welcome the chance to divest one more rusty piece under there with some bling, plus the drain plug is handy as hell.
BlueStreak likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:42 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garys03SSR View Post
With Mike's cover you can leave the plug in on the side of the diff and continue to fill through the opening in the top of Mike's cover, but this can cause an overfill to happen.

Simple answer here is to fill through the opening in the top of Mikes cover as you suggest, but also unbolt the "stock" fill plug. When the lube starts oozing out of the "stock" fill port, you know you are done and can recap both fill plugs and are "good to go.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:57 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Some people have to much time on their hands.
90 Fatboy likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:27 PM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
Some people don't know how to spell "too."

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:59 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
Some people don't know how to spell "too."

[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I know exactly what you're saying, damn spell checker.
ggoat!!! and 90 Fatboy like this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post
Some people have to much time on their hands.

Yup, I would be one of those..........Soon as we get some warmer weather, I'll be occupied with some outside chores and stuff to get me away from repeated looks here as an 'ol guy with "too much time on his hands".
ggoat!!! likes this.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:50 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:

Yup, I would be one of those..........Soon as we get some warmer weather, I'll be occupied with some outside chores and stuff to get me away from repeated looks here as an 'ol guy with "too much time on his hands".
Come on Mo, the cold temp only bothers you for awhile, than the aches in your old bones and joints take over and you don't mind the cold.
BlueStreak likes this.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:52 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 1SB/6spd Redline Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I can't find part 3 of his series?
I welcome the chance to divest one more rusty piece under there with some bling, plus the drain plug is handy as hell.
Hasn't been published yet.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:

Topspin.....I agree with your capacity quote of 2.7 Qts. That is the figure given in the Shop Manual in Section 0-25.

Now, we kinda part company with your measurement info. The same Shop Manual in Section 4-26 describes the correct fill amount in a different manner. It says "0 to 10MM" and/or "0 to 0.4" below fill plug opening.

Obvious question would be when refilling an empty rearend, and you have added 2.7 qts and then stop. How far below the fill hole would the level be???? (All assuming the truck is level while doing all this as pointed out in a subsequent post.)

Your (get you right there) measurements are both min and max below what the Shop Manual recommends. Add in the "extra capacity" of an SE cover, and I'm gonna assume a proper amount would be greater than 2.7 qts.

My tube of "additive" is 7 oz. Directions say use the whole tube. So my plan would be to put two quarts of lube in the hole then add the (additive) and then top it off to the fill hole with part of another quart of lube.

I believe all should be OK following that procedure. Open to any commentary that says someone disagrees.

The 0-10mm level is for the 8.6" auto axle. Correct level for the 9.5" axle is 15-45mm. Again, 2.7 quarts should get you there with the stock cover. With the PML cast aluminum cover add an additional 1/2 quart, so 3.2 quarts is correct.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in