post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
RED SLED
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2003 SSR Redline Red
Garage
Engine Vibration at 1700 rpm

Hi all,

Perhaps someone here knows the answer to this. I have a 2003 SSR 5.3 with automatic tranny. The engine has started a curious vibration at a steady throttle of 1700 or so RMPs. Standing place or driving. I have an LS9 cam that was installed professionally, and performance torque converter and 4/11 rear end gears. The engine performance is still very strong. The vibration can be felt through the steering column and floorboards through the seat. Again it will do it sitting with the throttle depressed to 1700 rpm in park. I just had a new harmonic balancer installed and the problem still remains.

Is there something you all know about this condition?

Thanks to all of you in advance of your responses or answers.

I did make an effort to search for "Engine Vibration" in all the forums but to no avail.

Stew

Livin, Large in Arizona where the summer never stops 😎
Selling sunshine, smiles and homes.
No one is a stranger here, just new friends you havenít met yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:47 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Flaggs 6 speed, Cross member update, Radiator frame update,Spare tire kit
Garage
A few items I would suggest to check:

Spark plug not firing** due to Bad coil, spark plug wire or spark plug
Rocker arm** push rod or valve spring broken or out of adjustment
check for metal in oil** that may show worn cam roller, cam lobe

feel free to contact me at 502-777-7038
Butch Barras site name Buba05
S2NAZ likes this.

buba05
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:35 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
I assume that you have had codes checked

Have someone hold the engine speed to where the vibration is the worst --- observe the drive belt tensioner. They can cause a severe vibration. The decoupler pulleys found on 05 and 06 models can be even worse when these pulleys do not freewheel in the opposite direction as they are intended to do. Watch the belt for any sings of "bouncing" at that engine speed.

Just a thought --- I can't feel it from here and its hard to really tell sometimes without feeling or hearing the problem
Hollister SSR, Buba05 and S2NAZ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:56 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 1SB/6spd Redline Red
Is it 1700 RPM and up or just "around" 1700? I'm assuming the rest of the engine was left untouched - still factory short block and heads? Since you say it happens in motion or not, then it has to be from trans forward. Given that you replaced the balancer, I'd be looking at the flex plate and converter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:15 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2NAZ View Post
Hi all,

Perhaps someone here knows the answer to this. I have a 2003 SSR 5.3 with automatic tranny. The engine has started a curious vibration at a steady throttle of 1700 or so RMPs. Standing place or driving. I have an LS9 cam that was installed professionally, and performance torque converter and 4/11 rear end gears. The engine performance is still very strong. The vibration can be felt through the steering column and floorboards through the seat. Again it will do it sitting with the throttle depressed to 1700 rpm in park. I just had a new harmonic balancer installed and the problem still remains.

Stew
Based on what you have said, I would want to have the shop that installed the torque converter do a little inspection work. Your symptoms indicate that it is a heavy enough vibration to be felt in the steering wheel, floorboards and seat. I would want them to check torque on the flex plate bolts........

My two cents,

Mike
S2NAZ likes this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:25 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Based on what you have said, I would want to have the shop that installed the torque converter do a little inspection work. Your symptoms indicate that it is a heavy enough vibration to be felt in the steering wheel, floorboards and seat. I would want them to check torque on the flex plate bolts........

My two cents,

Mike
Agree with Mike!
Could be loose bolt on TC or one was over torqued.
If so you would also have a vibration at or slightly above idle but may not notice it because of that cam, you may also feel it at around 5000rpm but I would not recommend pushing it that hard until you get it checked.
Greg
S2NAZ likes this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
RED SLED

My SSR:
2003 SSR Redline Red
Garage
Thanks for your responses. After further investigation, it does appear to be torque converter related. Goes in next week to have it replaced and further inspected. Thanks for all your input!

~Stew
nj6969 and SSReplay like this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
RED SLED

My SSR:
2003 SSR Redline Red
Garage
An update for you all. They came to the conclusion it was something that had to do with the Torque Converter. It was unbolted and then rotated then bolted up and the bolts all re-torqued making the vibration "less". I was asked to come by and start the truck to sere if I felt it was changed. Started it up and no vibration at 1700 now but at 1200-1300 rpms it now vibrates in that rpm range. So having told them that and demonstrating that vibration they ordered a new torque converter and installed it. It was balanced right at the manufacturer as the performance show watched. Re-install then produced the same result. So, the slid the tranny back, unbolted the torque converter and slid it back then started the engine. Same vibration. This in essence eliminated the trans and converter. The flex plate looked fine so now they are saying it's something in the engine causing the vibration.

I know there was mention of a serpentine belt idler going bad so I'll probably unhook the belt and re start the engine and see what effect that has.

The adventure continues :P

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:05 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt (Canadian specifications)
Garage
Sorry for your troubles, but a huge thank you for providing feedback on your problem for the benefit of everyone on the forum.

Fingers crossed that its the idler pulley ...
nj6969 and S2NAZ like this.

Ken
Vancouver Island, Canada
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Tech Support/Research

Vibration

A faulty idler pulley could be observed with the engine running to see if it induces the vibration by its fluctuation. As an external engine component I've not seen one of those cause the pronounced type of vibration you are describing that transmits through the floor and steering wheel. And having eliminated the torque converter and flex plate as potential causes, the harmonic balancer is the other part you said was replaced. That seems to be a candidate item to investigate, as it appears your truck has an out-of-balance condition in a narrow RPM band.
Auggie Doggie likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:26 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Being you eliminated everything on the back of the motor the next step is the front. You said you already did the harmonic balancer and if all the pulleys and belt tensioners check out it would seem it is internal. Being the only work you had internally is the cam install that would be the next area to check. Maybe something came loose or failed in that install. Keep eliminating and let us know what finally works. Good luck

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in