Excessive road noise in the cab - Chevy SSR Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

Excessive road noise in the cab

Depending on just what type of road surface you're traveling on, it seems to me like there is more "noise" inside than there ought to be. I keep checking my windows to be sure they are all the way closed..........seems like I have to turn the radio volume up more than I should.

Is there lack of insulation in the doors and behind the seats and floor, etc. Or is it a case of "It is what it is".............live with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:14 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

Depending on just what type of road surface you're traveling on, it seems to me like there is more "noise" inside than there ought to be. I keep checking my windows to be sure they are all the way closed..........seems like I have to turn the radio volume up more than I should.

Is there lack of insulation in the doors and behind the seats and floor, etc. Or is it a case of "It is what it is".............live with it.
The noise you are talking about is coming from the rear tires, directly up through the air exit vents on the sides of the roof compartment. There is a "fix" for this in Dictator's set of instructions. It involves gluing a very thin piece of foam on the metal panel that reflects the sound into the cab. Definitely NOT rocket science...... Just takes a little patience.

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:52 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Go to my SSR How to Library, look up Wind Noise

Link: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
You need louder exhaust. Ha! Ha!

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 AM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
At 14 years old, my hot rod truck with multiple moving roof panels and healthy exhaust definitely makes more noise than my wife's new KIA Sportage. But I kinda wear that as a badge of honor. I'd do what Mike and Dictator suggest to fix what you can as it helps a little.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Simple solution I found many years ago, Moscooter . . .

Top Down, Crank Up the Radio and Hit the Road!

! ! ! ! ! !

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
On our TV, I used to have the volume on #30, now at 78, I have to have it on 32 or even 33, so it could be your hearing. In the SSR, I or we have it on "high" that's why we're thinking of taking the XM/Sirius out and putting the original AM/FM back in. However, I am seriously thinking of "installing" Bellville's "thin piece of foam" Are we talking about Styrofoam ??? Bob Alexander
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
The noise you are talking about is coming from the rear tires, directly up through the air exit vents on the sides of the roof compartment. There is a "fix" for this in Dictator's set of instructions. It involves gluing a very thin piece of foam on the metal panel that reflects the sound into the cab. Definitely NOT rocket science...... Just takes a little patience.

Mike

OK, I'll follow up on this trick. Popped the top (slightly) and can see those vents, have not pried either one loose yet, but likely they have not been "modified" per the (sponge insert) trick.

As to the rest of the Wind Noise pdf file from Dictator, I've made the following observations. It appears that someone has already done the round foam trick on the upper roof section, both front end and back end. Assuming the (round foam) you're using appears like an oversized section of windshield washer hose.....What I'm seeing is hollow like a straw, but with thicker side walls.

However, I can not see nor feel as though any 1/2 round foam, etc. has been used on the roof cover lid at all. Also I noticed directly above those side vents is another opening with what appears to be the top of another hydraulic rod. Guess some insulation over those openings would help too.

I believe the stock rubber seals around the top are in good shape, I'll try the sponge trick and go from there.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 09:59 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Two Tone Jet Black&Chrome Auto
Noise

If you look behind the seat you will see an open space from the cabin to the top storage department. You can take a large (preferably black) beach towel and roll it and put there to block a large portion of the noise or some of the guys have fabricated a removable foam blocker.

Jack

It is not easy being a Hyper Old Person.

Jack Pruitt
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:51 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt (Canadian specifications)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatg450 View Post
If you look behind the seat you will see an open space from the cabin to the top storage department. You can take a large (preferably black) beach towel and roll it and put there to block a large portion of the noise or some of the guys have fabricated a removable foam blocker.

Jack
Been meaning to ask. Why is there an open gap behind the seats into the top storage area? So I can hear the bass speakers?

I use the rolled up towel trick on long runs, but why is the gap even there in the first place? Sure there is a logical explanation, but what is it?

Ken, Vancouver Island

Ken
Vancouver Island, Canada
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 03:40 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Why?

The space is needed for the top to clear as it is raised or lowered.

Jack
VI Ken likes this.

Jack Pruitt
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatg450 View Post

Jack
OK, after seeing your comment, I went back (again) as I have done repeatedly over this whole discussion. I broke out a flashlite and moved both seatbacks forward.......and at first, I thought.......WTF....is he talking about.

I could not see any "gap" and/or opening to the top storage area. At last, I viewed the, (what we would call years ago...on a sedan.......the "package shelf") just below the back window and on the left/right end.

I'm assuming that is the (opening) that you reference and what some use a towel to suppress the noise and some others a chunk of foam
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:40 PM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
Yup. And we wonder why the trucks are noisy. Hmmm.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 PM

My SSR:
Oh, and don't forget... that big opening in the back we call a truck bed... well, it's also a reverberation chamber for anything going on under the truck.
DOOPHUS likes this.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:52 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
OK, after seeing your comment, I went back (again) as I have done repeatedly over this whole discussion. I broke out a flashlite and moved both seatbacks forward.......and at first, I thought.......WTF....is he talking about.

I could not see any "gap" and/or opening to the top storage area. At last, I viewed the, (what we would call years ago...on a sedan.......the "package shelf") just below the back window and on the left/right end.

I'm assuming that is the (opening) that you reference and what some use a towel to suppress the noise and some others a chunk of foam
Take a look!!

Dicktator

Soundproof everything
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-1014 07.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	474321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6555.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	474329   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-0630 02.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	474337   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-1028 02.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	474345   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-1027 05.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	474353  

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
Take a look!!

Dicktator

Soundproof everything
So, I agree, but as to the (gap) above and left/right of the seats, I'm not necessarily wanting to use a "towel" to suppress that large opening on (both sides). Are some using a caarved up chunk of foam insulation or what else to fill that gap and at the same time, not interfere with the top up/down function.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:38 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Gap

Years ago I made piece fill that gap out of some stiff material, worked great. One problem, I forgot to remove it before I lowered the top to demo it for a young man as we were coming back from a Rally. When we got to the motel it was about to rain and the top cover would not open, the filler fell to the bottom and the top sections sat down on it and the top cover latch cylinders were not strong enough to open. After a lot of crying and moaning (not me) "It is going to rain and flood the truck". I pointed out that were setting next to a very large roof over the driveway at the hotel. I pushed on each side after I finally got her to push on the switch and the cover opened. I threw the filler piece away.

A few months ago I made a piece out of soft foam pipe wrap from Home Depot and some 1/2" foam for the end pieces. I used paper to make a templet for the end pieces and paint stirrers to stiffen the ends. Works great and if I forget it will flatten and not foul the top cover. Works great but I still put clear plastic button the top button as a reminder. Hey, I am old.

Jack

Jack Pruitt
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:51 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Flow Through Ventilation.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 05:55 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow
MOSCOTER last year there were several Fanatics that made the layered foam piece that fits all the way across the back deck behind the seats. It was the perfect shape and length. Carlbush was one of them and I don't remember the others. I bought one from him and it works perfectly and keeps out a lot of the noise. It was inexpensive and worth it. Also, the Dicktator's fix with the foam in the to vents where the road noise comes in from the tires. A simple an easy fix.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
ASC spent 1.2 million designing our Roof which has been copied by several car manufactures. You have a $10,000. roof on your SSR, if you divide production against cost.

I remember Chief Design Engineer Bill Davis at a Rally in Florida saying "Do you know what you have?" "The next hardtop convertible is the Mercedes at $80,000. dollars."

He went on to ask "How many would have bought the SSR if it had a "Ragtop"?? We all said "None".

That said, is it perfect, for me, yes!

Even my wife of 41 years has some road noise, once in a while, but she is perfect!!

Keep the top down, no road noise, soundproof, use a towel or buy one of Carl Bush rubber sound suppressors that work very well.

And put on a "Permagrin", you have an SSR!

Dicktator

Bill Davis, Page 48
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7937.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	474377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7936.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	474385  
HUAW and Jersey red like this.

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
ASC spent 1.2 million designing our Roof which has been copied by several car manufactures. You have a $10,000. roof on your SSR, if you divide production against cost.

I remember Chief Design Engineer Bill Davis at a Rally in Florida saying "Do you know what you have?" "The next hardtop convertible is the Mercedes at $80,000. dollars."

He went on to ask "How many would have bought the SSR if it had a "Ragtop"?? We all said "None".

That said, is it perfect, for me, yes!

Even my wife of 41 years has some road noise, once in a while, but she is perfect!!

Keep the top down, no road noise, soundproof, use a towel or buy one of Carl Bush rubber sound suppressors that work very well.

And put on a "Permagrin", you have an SSR!

Dicktator

Bill Davis, Page 48

Dictator, Just the total overall info this post had provided......(including your pdf file on same problem)......is likely gonna solve my concerns with noise in the cab.

One of the prior entries above suggested perhaps a (hearing problem) I might have. NOT SO. While my wife has developed some significant hearing problems, I have not.

Funny that I had never noticed the large "gap" at left/right end of (package shelf) above the seat tops. That opening alone coupled with the roof top container (side vents) allowing the rear tire noise to migrate straight into the top box and then into the cab......Addressing that problem alone I think will solve most of the excess noise that caused me to start this thread in the first place.

I'll do the sponge trick and then somehow address the open gaps on the shelf and then via "test drives" see what else I might need to do.

Thanks for all the tips.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

"buy one of Carl Bush rubber sound suppressors that work very well."

Any more detail on how/what this statement means and/or how to find.
TXNSSR likes this.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 07:58 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow
Just PM Carbush.
@carlbush
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

OK,

I sent a pm to Bush.

On a side note, any hints on how best to divide that 4"X 6" sponge into 2 sections. Cutting the whole sponge into a 4 X 6 inch piece via some scissors is no problem. But now dividing that chunk into 2 pieces via scissors is not likely.

Was an electric knife used or what
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:52 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Born on 12/23/04, adopted 07/06/16, From KY to CA. Once a farm truck, Now a SoCal cruiser.
Garage
I used scissors without a problem
Just poked one tang of the scissors in the middle of sponge and started cutting.
Doesn't have to be exact and no one can see it anyway..

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:55 AM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR) 2005 Flame Pace Trk (CFO's)
Bread knife works also. Watch your fingers though.

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:00 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
OK,

I sent a pm to Bush.

On a side note, any hints on how best to divide that 4"X 6" sponge into 2 sections. Cutting the whole sponge into a 4 X 6 inch piece via some scissors is no problem. But now dividing that chunk into 2 pieces via scissors is not likely.

Was an electric knife used or what
I use my band saw but electric knife works "really" well, wife didn't like it but I did.

Dicktator

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
Bread knife works also. Watch your fingers though.
I used River rats technique. Cut thru the sponge like butter, and slipped that bread knife back into the kitchen drawer quickly.

I now have my sponges in place behind the vents. The side and back walls of my roof compartment seem to have come stock with "padding" already. So, I'm guessing the silver insulation material some have used was extra.

I was totally unaware of the gaping opening above the seats and below the rear window. No wonder I kept thinking the windows weren't closed. Waiting to hear back from the Bush man as to the solution for that gap.

I'm guessing a towel used and/or whatever he uses has to be removed prior to dropping the top each time.???
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:24 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Garage
Soundproof

Quote:
Take a look!!

Dicktator

Soundproof everything
That is what I did to my R. We also soundproofed the interior. Doing the top compartment required the help of my friends grandson, who could fit inside (although not a lot of room for him). Removing the seats & door panels was a bit of a project but when completed it made a big difference.

REDRACR
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 AM

My SSR:
There's a thread here somewhere that has the blueprints on how to make a cover. Maybe do a search for cabin soundproofing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in