• 2 Post By BlueStreak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
SSR Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet
Exhaust Cutout Size?

Looking to add an exhaust cutout. I would like to confirm the exhaust size, my guess would be 2.5"(?) but prefer to get that validated before I place my order.

I'm presently looking at the NoWeed diverter. It's expensive but I've had QTP cutouts in previous vehicles and haven't been impressed. Anyone with experience with the NoWeed operated with their optional 3 button controller? Did you bolt it in or have it welded.

One Eye, One Horn Flying Ultra Violet People Eater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
SSR Driver

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet
Didn't realize the question was that difficult

Anyway, I did some more searching this morning, but this time with dogid perseverance and confirmed that the standard exhaust is 2.5" as suspected. The primary question answered. Guess, going forward, I should do that prior to requesting help.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:57 AM
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 red, custom wheels, custom flame paint, flowmaster exhaust
Garage
Sorry no help here, but I'm interested in your results as this is on the future to do list. Search the forum as this was a topic earlier this year or last year. Good luck!

Jarod and Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:39 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
I would say thatt 13 hour, overnight was not that long to wait for an answer. I know some have done the mod that you are looking to do but I also know there are many here that do not get on the sight during the week or only scan it and might miss your question. I am happy you were able to figure it out but please don't feel that you were ignored.
shakatak and People Eater like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:03 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by People Eater View Post
Looking to add an exhaust cutout. I would like to confirm the exhaust size, my guess would be 2.5"(?) but prefer to get that validated before I place my order.

I'm presently looking at the NoWeed diverter. It's expensive but I've had QTP cutouts in previous vehicles and haven't been impressed. Anyone with experience with the NoWeed operated with their optional 3 button controller? Did you bolt it in or have it welded.

I think the ones I have are the QTP. Only had them for close to a year now. No problems so far.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
SSR Driver

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet
QTP Cutouts vs NoWeed Diverters

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

I think the ones I have are the QTP. Only had them for close to a year now. No problems so far.
Most likely you do, they are certainly the most popular brand. I had them on two different vehicles, both failed, over time from what I believe was improper use on my part. Being hard of hearing I'd apply power well after the unit had reached max open or closed position, burning out the motor. The NoWeeds (odd name) have an optional 3 button panel. With just the push of a button, you can fully open, half open or close the valve. A nice feature but they definitely charge for it. Again, I was at fault for the QTP failures, they are wildly used with success by a lot of people, just didn't for me.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
SSR Driver

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
Sorry no help here, but I'm interested in your results as this is on the future to do list. Search the forum as this was a topic earlier this year or last year. Good luck!
Will do. Ordered the NoWeeds today, it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before they are installed. Been through some of the previous posts. One other member has the NoWeeds and someone also had their unit routed to bypass the muffler, connecting back up to the existing exhaust pipes. I'm hoping to do that as well, the objective was to divert most of the sound out to the back end, away from the cabin. I'll let you know how that works out.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:38 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by People Eater View Post
Will do. Ordered the NoWeeds today, it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before they are installed. Been through some of the previous posts. One other member has the NoWeeds and someone also had their unit routed to bypass the muffler, connecting back up to the existing exhaust pipes. I'm hoping to do that as well, the objective was to divert most of the sound out to the back end, away from the cabin. I'll let you know how that works out.

I kinda like that idea of re-connecting back to the existing (Tail pipes).......not exhaust pipes.

My cut-outs when open kinda sound like any rattle trap with a blown muffler that needs to be replaced. Not the sound I was really after. I'm thinkin' that connecting back to the rear end of the muffler via the tail pipes might smooth out the sound and be what ya want.

P.S. While laying on a creeper under my SSR, I used the "remote" to my cut-outs and was able to determine that about 5-6 seconds was good for full open and/or full closed. Did not want to keep pushing the button as per your feedback and others I have seen, that just maybe causing a premature problem.

So they are NOT like running your power windows up/down...........where you can keepl leaning on the button, but it does not create a problem.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
SSR Driver

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

I kinda like that idea of re-connecting back to the existing (Tail pipes).......not exhaust pipes.

My cut-outs when open kinda sound like any rattle trap with a blown muffler that needs to be replaced. Not the sound I was really after. I'm thinkin' that connecting back to the rear end of the muffler via the tail pipes might smooth out the sound and be what ya want.

P.S. While laying on a creeper under my SSR, I used the "remote" to my cut-outs and was able to determine that about 5-6 seconds was good for full open and/or full closed. Did not want to keep pushing the button as per your feedback and others I have seen, that just maybe causing a premature problem.

So they are NOT like running your power windows up/down...........where you can keepl leaning on the button, but it does not create a problem.
Hmmm I had true duals (2 cutoffs each) on both previous vehicles and never noticed a rattle, then again I'm almost deaf so that isn't anything to go by.

Yes your timing is about right. I saw on a previous post, the owner counting slowly to 7 to open/close. I can't remember what I used, but with my memory, anything more than 4 would be difficult. My wife says I could organize my own surprise party

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:27 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Kind of the whole Idea of cut-outs is straight exhaust dumped out as close to the engine as possible and to be as loud as possible. The lowness of the SSR and where they dump out right under the seat area makes them very raspy and loud. That is why I don't have any. If you want the exhaust and noise to exit the end of the tail pipes there are many other options and applications to consider. Any way have fun with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
SSR Driver

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
Kind of the whole Idea of cut-outs is straight exhaust dumped out as close to the engine as possible and to be as loud as possible. The lowness of the SSR and where they dump out right under the seat area makes them very raspy and loud. That is why I don't have any. If you want the exhaust and noise to exit the end of the tail pipes there are many other options and applications to consider. Any way have fun with it.
That's what I'm looking for a selectable, loud/quiet option. I am unfamiliar with other options. While I'm now committed to the cutouts, I'd be curious as to what other options are available?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in