Chevy SSR Forum banner

Fan Temps

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bca8ball 
#1 ·
What are the recommended temp calibrations for fan on for the 5.3? Should they be different for my supercharged, cammed, and headed 5.3?

#2 ·
I would suggest, as a minimum, setting low speed to come on at 205 and high speed to come on at 215.

Based on input from Joe Delano, his recommendation would be low speed at 195 and high speed at 205.

Your choice. Joe's tune numbers are more conservative and will do a little better job of keeping you out of "trouble" with the heat build-up that is so hard to get rid of. I run Joe's numbers on my supercharged truck, but it has my fan going to high speed a lot....... kind-of annoying, but it does provide me a little buffer in Phoenix.......

Mike

#5 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Anybody know how to reprogram fan temps only and not change any other settings?
Thx
B:ssr
The fan setting can be changed without changing anything else; however, it takes a programing tool such a Tech-2, HP Tuner, and there are a few other program tools available for retail (such as a Diablo) verses paying a tuner.

If your R has never been performance tuned, you might consider it during the process. From what I understand, they leave the factory with basically a canned conservative one size fits all tune. Sounds like a sales pitch of sorts but a tune specific for your R can get you a few more HP, a couple MPG, and most importantly ensure you are not running lean at high RPMs.

Compared to others here, I am just a novice with the HP Tuner hardware/software but I haven't seen a vehicle yet that didn't benefit from a tune (fan settings, shift points, fuel ratios, timing settings, tire/speedometer settings, etc.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.