• 1 Post By Dicktator
  • 1 Post By moscooter
  • 2 Post By moscooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Smokin asphalt,purchased in August 2005 first owner. Nerf Bars, some engine billet parts
Fluid flush

As my SSR is now 15 years old I thought is is overdue for a fluid change. Never had any problems but should have done this a long time ago!

Installed tune up kit from Simple Engineering, thermostat etc and top and bottom radiator hoses.
In my experience the hose clamps are very difficult to remove and replace even with the correct tool. Hardest of all is the lower radiator clamp.

Then had the antifreeze and brake fluid power flushed.

Picture is a sample of what 15 year old GM coolant looks like, see the sediment at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_172325_1549832615503.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	541403   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190209_172438_1549832650406.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	541405  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:43 PM
SJA
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver with 126,000 mi. s#4B109910
You might also consider a transmission & rear diff. service. Replace with synthetic oil.

"SJA"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:31 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
You might also consider a transmission & rear diff. service. Replace with synthetic oil.

"SJA"
I agree 100%!!

Dicktator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 PM

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot / Slightly modified
Garage
Synthetics in transmission yielded a noticeable reduction with heat coming from the hump to the interior.
Tranny is definitely running cooler. No need to drop pan, just let them put in in with the trans flush machine. They will also back flush your filter. That’s how they do it now days.
Jersey red likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:14 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 1SB/6spd Redline Red
How about the brake fluid? I try and do it at least every 2 years - 3 at the most.

This was the first flush I had done and it was only 1 year old at the time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0420.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	541409  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Is synthetic fluid recommended for use in the rear end for the SSR? I know for my old cars (GM 12 bolts) they say not to use the synthetic gear oil in the them.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhotrod View Post
Is synthetic fluid recommended for use in the rear end for the SSR? I know for my old cars (GM 12 bolts) they say not to use the synthetic gear oil in the them.

The correct answer is NO. I recently had the gears in mine swapped out for 456 set. The owner of the shop (East Coast Gear Supply) recommends against usage of synthetic gear lube for various reasons.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
I put 4:10 gears in mine about 11 years ago, use synthetic and only have about 110,000 miles on gears. Also synthetic in transmission and engine. All Amsoil.

Runs much cooler.

I have changed/flushed brake fluid several times, changed/flushed radiator several times.

Just had to put in new radiator/hoses/thermostat/belts/tensioners and water pump. Also did A/C.

Change engine oil at 9 or 10,000 miles.

Dicktator
Jersey red likes this.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:08 PM

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur, 6 speed, 118667
Garage
When you're talking transmissions are you talking manual or automatics? I do notice my shift ball on my 6 speed gets warm after an hour of driving. Never had that in any other car I have owned.
calook1967
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:34 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
I put 4:10 gears in mine about 11 years ago, use synthetic and only have about 110,000 miles on gears. Also synthetic in transmission and engine. All Amsoil.

Runs much cooler.

I have changed/flushed brake fluid several times, changed/flushed radiator several times.

Just had to put in new radiator/hoses/thermostat/belts/tensioners and water pump. Also did A/C.

Change engine oil at 9 or 10,000 miles.

Dicktator
While I obviously have deep respect for your opinion and experience over the years with many aspects of what works and what does not, You and I are at odds with the lube of choice going into the rear end.

Like you, many years ago, I swapped out the rear gears in my '39 Chevy streetrod to 3:73 and added Mobil One Syn Lube. It was suggested that it get changed after a few thousand miles and I never did do it. Did I have a problem..........not really, but I noted a increasing whine that was not there early on.

Bottom line is I highly respect the opinion of the owner of EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY. He has a business in Raleigh, N.C. and has written an article regarding the right choice for gear lube in rear ends. I cannot with any accuracy describe the real reasons that a lube that is NOT Syn. is better than those that are.

It had something to do with the fact that syn oil/lube is thinner (less viscous) and lacking in "shear"???? capability..........I may have that factor wrong, but bottom line is this guy is in the daily business of providing rear gear swaps to mostly off road scenarios like Jeeps ,etc. and he has the experience/knowledge to know what works best. It is "key" to his business as he backs up his services and wants the best results for his customers.

I would love to get a copy of his (article) regarding why NOT to use syn. lube in a rear end so we could all understand it better.

Stay tuned as I will try to get it.
Jersey red likes this.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:16 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Here is the article

The East Coast Gear Supply CEO must have been on-line to get my recent message. I asked to get a copy of his thoughts on the rear end gear lube choices..............

Here it is..........

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/file...mendation1.pdf
Jersey red and Groceryman101 like this.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:47 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
That East Coast Gear Supply link says:
Quote:
Scientifically it has been proven that that when measuring diff temps, the actual “metal objects” stay cooler using a quality dino oil with an additive package over synthetic oils. However it has been proven that synthetic “oils” can stay cooler then dino oil. So it depends on what temperature you measure the “metal” or the “oil” hence why both can claim they are better. Other findings and this varies based on the actual synthetic used.
The synthetic oils run cooler than the metal parts?
How is that possible, does that mean the synthetic oil rejects heat transfer from the metal?
If dino oil accepts heat transfer from the metal, and runs hotter than synthetic, How can the metal stay cooler than the oil bath it's in?

I'd like to see some numbers, I'm confused.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:08 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That East Coast Gear Supply link says:

The synthetic oils run cooler than the metal parts?
How is that possible, does that mean the synthetic oil rejects heat transfer from the metal?
If dino oil accepts heat transfer from the metal, and runs hotter than synthetic, How can the metal stay cooler than the oil bath it's in?

I'd like to see some numbers, I'm confused.

Bruce....For sure it can seem confusing. I'm not a scientist and it seems that maybe you are not either......"Scientifically it has been proven that that when measuring diff temps, the actual “metal objects” stay cooler using a quality dino oil with an additive package over synthetic oils. "

I'm going with the opinion of a guy that wrote that article and has indeed a booming business that is focused upon rear gears. Until and/or unless I can view/see some evidence from someone else with the right (credentials in that business) that is to the contrary I will defer to his opinion.

I don't believe that he would not advertise (Syn lubes) for the rear end if he thought the results would be better and thus make the end results of his shops work/services look better.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:26 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Maybe he's doing a booming business because people are tearing up rears following his advice.

Seriously though, no I'm not a scientist either but I can't understand what he's saying. Well that's not true, me can talk gooder english, I just don't understand the logic.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:52 PM
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's

My SSR:
'03 Smokin' Black #1369 all options/'04 Slingshot w trick Flames Boyd Coddington Wheels
Garage
At the risk of sounding like a goof. Can someone tell me what oil came from the factory in the tranny and diff. Synthetic or Non-synthetic?

"Each day is a gift" "Enjoy the day!"
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
I was on a Corvette forum when I had my 81 and a similar debate started about fossil vs synthetic gear lube. All the testing that was quoted was done by the manufacturers and was suspect. Several independent tests showed no significant diff using the GM posi lube vs syn with posi additive. I rebuilt my RE and used Synthetic with an additive. No noise no issues and it was thrashed pretty hard by the stroker and 4spd.
and my heavy right foot. The debate got so ugly on the forum the admin shut it down. Everybody has an strong “educated” opinion.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:22 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 Gordy View Post
At the risk of sounding like a goof. Can someone tell me what oil came from the factory in the tranny and diff. Synthetic or Non-synthetic?
According to the owners manual for both 04 and 05 it calls for
Automatic to use DexronIII
rear end SAE 75W-90 Synthetic

05 was first year for the manual trans and it shows
manual transmission use SAE75W90 Gear Oil
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:31 PM

My SSR:
As for how the metal is cooler in the dino oil and the oil is cooler in the synthetic from my reading it is because e the dino oil stays on the gear set longer and is thicker there by pulling heat from the metal parts and the oil staying hotter than the metal parts.
With the synthetic the oil is thinner and does not stay on the gear set like the dino oil does so the oil is not pulling heat out of the metal parts as well there by the oil is cooler than the metal parts.

Now the interesting thing is they don't tell us what the gear and oil temps are compared to each other.

When I talked to experts on doing a 12 bolt GM gear set with a posi, they all claimed to use regular gear oil with the additive and not use Synthetic but that is a different type posi unit and does require the additive for it. Plus as I was told the climbing affect is what is important with the regular gear oil.

So more opinions to think about. But after looking it up in the owners manual I will use synthetic in the SSR differential.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:22 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
As for how the metal is cooler in the dino oil and the oil is cooler in the synthetic from my reading it is because e the dino oil stays on the gear set longer and is thicker there by pulling heat from the metal parts and the oil staying hotter than the metal parts.
With the synthetic the oil is thinner and does not stay on the gear set like the dino oil does so the oil is not pulling heat out of the metal parts as well there by the oil is cooler than the metal parts.

Now the interesting thing is they don't tell us what the gear and oil temps are compared to each other.

When I talked to experts on doing a 12 bolt GM gear set with a posi, they all claimed to use regular gear oil with the additive and not use Synthetic but that is a different type posi unit and does require the additive for it. Plus as I was told the climbing affect is what is important with the regular gear oil.

So more opinions to think about. But after looking it up in the owners manual I will use synthetic in the SSR differential.
Gee, I was pretty much (with) your conclusions and logic...........Until your final paragraph.

meantime, as I am totally exposed on this subject..........I will go with the (NON)Synthetic lube as previously described. Bottom line, I doubt either of us will and/or should encounter a rear gear problem as a result.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:20 PM

My SSR:
Moscooter ,maybe just put a quart of each in?
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:23 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
According to the owners manual for both 04 and 05 it calls for
Automatic to use DexronIII
rear end SAE 75W-90 Synthetic

05 was first year for the manual trans and it shows
manual transmission use SAE75W90 Gear Oil
My 06 says to use Dextron III on a label on the 6 speed transmission. When I refill it this spring when the motor goes back in, recommendation is to switch to Dextron VI.

75-90 seems really thick - like running molasses through it.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:38 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
My 06 says to use Dextron III on a label on the 6 speed transmission. When I refill it this spring when the motor goes back in, recommendation is to switch to Dextron VI.

75-90 seems really thick - like running molasses through it.

Ummm Flassh. I'm thinkin' maybe you got the wrong idea here. The last few posts are regarding (rear end gear lubes). When you bring up Dextron III and a label on the transmission, that is indeed different than the (really thick-like running molasses through it) cause your looking at the lube on the opposite end of the drive shaft.

https://peakauto.com/products/functi...ii-mercon-atf/
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:52 AM

My SSR:
Flassh I just looked at the owners manual from my 04 and 05 to see what they listed. I looked this morning and found this thread that adds some good information on the subject for the manual transmissions and recommended fluid for it,
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...-alert-149826/
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:38 AM
SSR Pit Crew

QUOTE=Stlhotrod;4242641]Flassh I just looked at the owners manual from my 04 and 05 to see what they listed. I looked this morning and found this thread that adds some good information on the subject for the manual transmissions and recommended fluid for it,
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...-alert-149826/[/QUOTE]

OK, with a re-read again, I now see that some comments went on to the transmission itself and its fluid versus the rear end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in