30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 silver automatic
Front air dam

While replacing the lower radiator support yesterday I discovered my new to me SSR did not have a front air dam. How crucial is this for engine cooling?
Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'03 Smokin' Black #1369 all options/'04 Slingshot w trick Flames Boyd Coddington Wheels
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNJOE View Post
While replacing the lower radiator support yesterday I discovered my new to me SSR did not have a front air dam. How crucial is this for engine cooling?
Thanks
Joe
It had one on from the factory, so GM must of thought the little strip of plastic would add to more air flow over the Rad etc. Don't replace it with the GM Air Dam, it's garbage....you could make one like that. My suggestion is to buy an ABS one from Mike at Simple Engineering. They are in-expensive, easy to install, work great, and most of all, look good. They look like the one the SSR should have had from the beginning!!!
soren703 and Auggie Doggie like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Each day is a gift" "Enjoy the day!"
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 AM
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
06' Pac Blue #123244 w/Chrome Pkg, Born on date of 12-21-2005... Sadly Sold Pac Blue #121631 in 09'
Garage
Keeping the engine cool us always an issue with our SSR's! You can never get too much air flow in the engine compartment. Like 240 Gordy said, Mike at simple engineering has a real nice black air dam that funnels the air right to where you need it and it looks better than the OEM silver one that seems to be missing.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"HUAW" = "Hooah", Its an ARMY Thing! Which can mean nearly anything that is Awesome or Positive!!! Just like a CHEVY SSR!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Hear hear

Ditto to HUAW and Gordy.

Not difficult nor expense.

IMO

Dave
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:09 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
There are probably quite a few out there missing them and don't even know it is not there. My 05 is missing it and just have not gotten around to replacing it yet.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:20 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Here Ya Go. Kathy's Ultra Violet

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0541.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	549389  
richsadams likes this.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:23 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Location: Savannah, Georgia (by way of Orange County, California)

My SSR:
2005 LS-2 Supercharged Black Asphalt - upgrade trans, stereo system, exhaust, suspension, paint, +
It is so hot and humid here in Savannah, I had to remove the silver "CHEVROLET" attached to the hood in order to open up the extra space for fresh air.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:38 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Mine was gone when I bought my 05. Got one from Simple Engineering. The fit is perfect. It is held on with black plastic push pins so if you hit a parking curb or anything they come right off without tearing things up. I imagine that is why there are so many missing. Cheap, fast fix. Git-er-done.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
yes, it's pretty Important Piece. It disrupts the air flow under the truck and helps evacuate the hot air in the engine compartment when you're moving forward. Mike's does this, and, throws a bit of air up into the radiator. Both are pretty important to help keep our trucks cool while "under way". pretty useless when Stopped, eh.... If you order one from Mike, I strongly suggest you get the steel lower radiator support that it attaches to, if it's Not there already, the OEM was PLASTIC....

Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
What the hell, all those recommendations for Mike's air dam (to which I agree)and no link?

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:46 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow bear View Post
yes, it's pretty Important Piece. It disrupts the air flow under the truck and helps evacuate the hot air in the engine compartment when you're moving forward. Mike's does this, and, throws a bit of air up into the radiator. Both are pretty important to help keep our trucks cool while "under way". pretty useless when Stopped, eh.... If you order one from Mike, I strongly suggest you get the steel lower radiator support that it attaches to, if it's Not there already, the OEM was PLASTIC....
Thanks Yellow Bear!

Yes the Plastic flat piece under and attached to radiator support was designed to create a "Vortex" to "Suck" HOT air out of engine compartment while driving.

Don't have one? Suggest you do!

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/

Just plastic push pins to install.

Dicktator
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11-0303 01.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	549399  
yellow bear likes this.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:07 PM
Trygodfirst
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Yellow bear
Thanks for the heads up in getting a steel lower radiator support from simple engineering
Your side by side pics were awesome and clearly showed the difference
I just ordered mine along with a new air dam.
Also got the replacement fan to get rid of the factory be one
so again THANKs to all for this help. I take your input seriously and follow you lead from your years of expertise
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:24 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
Mine was gone when I bought my 05. Got one from Simple Engineering. The fit is perfect. It is held on with black plastic push pins so if you hit a parking curb or anything they come right off without tearing things up. I imagine that is why there are so many missing. Cheap, fast fix. Git-er-done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/

Just plastic push pins to install.

Dicktator
I got Kathy's from Mike, Simple Engineering, 2-17-17 and it came with Stainless Steel Button head bolts and nut, and I like Shiny stuff. See post #6.

Nick

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:31 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj6969 View Post
I got Kathy's from Mike, Simple Engineering, 2-17-17 and it came with Stainless Steel Button head bolts and nut, and I like Shiny stuff. See post #6.

Nick
The bolts must be a new thing. When I got mine it came with the black plastic push pins (Like in Dicktator's post # 11) and the instructions said not to use bolts in case you hit something. Kind of a break away thing. Got mine about 2016. Maybe it was decided to bolt it solid. Mine has been on there 3 years with the push pins.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 silver automatic
Thanks for the insight. I have owned this SSR about 3 weeks and have already placed 2 orders with Simple-engineering. Looks like one more. &#x1f633;. No worries. It usually takes me 2-3 trips to Lowe’s for most any project. I am amazed at how helpful everyone has been on this forum. Thanks for putting up with us newbies asking questions that have been hashed out several times in the past
HUAW, 3yello, nj6969 and 1 others like this.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNJOE View Post
Thanks for the insight. I have owned this SSR about 3 weeks and have already placed 2 orders with Simple-engineering. Looks like one more. &#x1f633;. No worries. It usually takes me 2-3 trips to Lowe’s for most any project. I am amazed at how helpful everyone has been on this forum. Thanks for putting up with us newbies asking questions that have been hashed out several times in the past
After awhile Mike will get to know you from buying so much stuff. He and I are on a first name basis now. Ha! Ha!. His stuff is good.
Bee75 likes this.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:26 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
The bolts must be a new thing. When I got mine it came with the black plastic push pins (Like in Dicktator's post # 11) and the instructions said not to use bolts in case you hit something. Kind of a break away thing. Got mine about 2016. Maybe it was decided to bolt it solid. Mine has been on there 3 years with the push pins.
Hey Auggie,

Hope you are getting some topless time. It should be about gorgeous up there by now.

When I ship just an Air Dam, I send the 5 black plastic locking pins. This is because it is likely to get attached to a plastic radiator support. The plastic pins should give up before the radiator support breaks.

When I ship a steel Lower Radiator Support, I always include 5 stainless button-head Allen screws and lock nuts to attach the Air Dam. This is because the steel support won’t shatter if you hit something. If the Air Dam gets bent a bit, you can always straighten it with a little heat and some pressure.

On a side note........ If you have a habit of “high speed blasts”, the plastic push pins may allow the Simple Engineering Air Dam to depart the radiator support at speeds above 130mph.... The fix for that is to install the steel support and bolt the Air Dam in place.

Regards,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 AM

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur, 6 speed, 118667
Garage
Or slow down under 130!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:00 AM
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Use the bolts! You never know when the NEED FOR SPEED will strike.
3yello and Auggie Doggie like this.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:11 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
I'm just say'n

You don't have to go 130 mph. Just go 75 mph into a 65 mph wind here in Nebraska.

I'm just say'n

Dave
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:25 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Black 03, Vin#0168, License Plate-"DRMRIDE". Florida "Snowbird"
You hit one of those concrete parking curbs and those push pins will pop off! I lost the one from Mike and now I'm running with the old stock one for now!

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:39 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Hey Auggie,

Hope you are getting some topless time. It should be about gorgeous up there by now.

When I ship just an Air Dam, I send the 5 black plastic locking pins. This is because it is likely to get attached to a plastic radiator support. The plastic pins should give up before the radiator support breaks.

When I ship a steel Lower Radiator Support, I always include 5 stainless button-head Allen screws and lock nuts to attach the Air Dam. This is because the steel support won’t shatter if you hit something. If the Air Dam gets bent a bit, you can always straighten it with a little heat and some pressure.

On a side note........ If you have a habit of “high speed blasts”, the plastic push pins may allow the Simple Engineering Air Dam to depart the radiator support at speeds above 130mph.... The fix for that is to install the steel support and bolt the Air Dam in place.

Regards,

Mike
]
Good to know. Thanks.

Auggie Doggie <><
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's

My SSR:
'03 Smokin' Black #1369 all options/'04 Slingshot w trick Flames Boyd Coddington Wheels
Garage
Another endorsement for Simple Engineering Air Dam: We went on a little side trip by ourselves in Evanston Wyoming while attending the Ogden SSR Rally. I was not going fast (under 30mph), all of a sudden the road dipped to a 3' wide drainage wash. I bottomed out my SSR so hard that the Air Dam scraped the road, and the front suspension bottomed out so hard the two skid pads in front of the a-arms both hit the cement! The Air Dam edge looks like it's been sharpened with a file! But has retained it's shape perfectly. When the front end popped out of the divot the back end then did the same although not as bad, thanks to my new Simple Engineering Air Bags that I installed just the week before! The back end bottoming out damaged my tongue jack on my little enclosed cargo trailer! It ovaled the tube.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR) 2005 Flame Pace Trk (CFO's)
Gordy doing 240 (kph) in Evanston. He was in a hurry to get back to Canuckada as well as trying to improve airflow thru the radiator and under the truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	549429  
yellow bear and 3yello like this.

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:56 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
BlueBelle
JimBob (his handle on this site) made air dams out of stainless steel. My favorite one is the "Dictator" which is the one I have on my truck.

He is with the NORCAL SSR group in Sacramento, California. You may want to PM him and see if he still has any.
yellow bear likes this.

FROM THE HOME OF THE MERMAIDS

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:32 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Buck and a half

Does the 240 put Gordy in the buck and a half club?

Dave
yellow bear likes this.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR) 2005 Flame Pace Trk (CFO's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rasmussen View Post
Does the 240 put Gordy in the buck and a half club?

Dave
No, if your talkin speed, he is still shy of 150 mph. If your talkin dollars, it would take $3.60 cdn to equal $1.50 us. As usual, he is day late and over a dollar short

Sorry for the hijack TNJOE

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
No, if your talkin speed, he is still shy of 150 mph. If your talkin dollars, it would take $3.60 cdn to equal $1.50 us. As usual, he is day late and over a dollar short

Sorry for the hijack TNJOE
240 kmh is actually 149.1291 mph, CLOSE ENOUGH! Your calculation on the Canadian Peso is off $3.60 CAD is actually $2.63 U.S. In other words, it cost's $1.37 CAD to purchase $1.00 USD. You better elect for a Texas Instruments calculator, rather then that Chinese One you bought at Walmart. Either that, or get some more skuulin'!

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:22 PM
LKMURKY

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
I lost mine on one of the huge speed bumps they put up at work to keep the ambulances and through traffic from running over our very slow customers coming in to the hospital.
Ripped out the plastic push pins and left the plastic spoiler on the pavement. One of my security guys on SSR watch gave it to me as a present the next day at work. I put it back on with stainless bolts and Fender washers, now all it does is rub from time to time.
Funny Thing, the 04 scrapes the speed bumps twice each time I pass over them, the 06 clears them every time, maybe the suspension is different for that larger engine?
Cary
LKMURKY
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:50 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: North Eastern Pennsylvania where it's seldom topless weather.

My SSR:
'05 Smokin Asphalt, 6 speed
Lost air dam

I lost mine somewhere, and a great Fanatic sent me his original for free! When I mounted it, I added a hole near each end and ran zip ties through them loosely so nest time, it would be there and all i'd need to do is put push pins back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in