Chevy SSR Forum banner

Front brake caliper issue.

7K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  xoxoxoBruce 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had this problem? I had a front caliper suddenly seize, 27,000 miles, fortunately I was near a full service tire and brake shop and they had a bay open. I was told no problem go for a walk, come back in about an hour and we'll have new front calipers installed for you. Came back in an hour, no calipers. I inquired as to what was taking so long. The manager pointed out 3 sets of front calipers, non of which fit the SSR, turns out the factory installed the aluminum 2005 calipers. Can't get the 2005's until tomorrow from Vancouver, Canada. Why would the factory put 2005 finned aluminum calipers on a FPR 2006? Now my baby is spending the night in a tire shop 15 miles from home. I will not let them install the caliper covers so when I get "R" back tomorrow I'm going to have to pull the wheels and reinstall the covers and the wheel centers.

#5 ·
Not sure about difference in calipers but might be worth paying core charge

More importantly tell them DO NOT send back old ones until you are sure it's fixed. Making sure its not a restricted brake hose or if both fronts, a stuck reaction disc in the brake booster.

#11 ·
The way I understand things, The Lancing Craft Center in Dearborn Michigan was reopened in order to assemble the final production run of 2006 SSRs with parts that were available in the inventory. I can only assume that some hubs and caliper assemblies from 2005 were used to complete some of those final production run SSRs. Perhaps over time I will discover other parts problems. As to why there's a difference? Who knows except to say that the caliper carrier that mounts to the hub is shorter on the 2005, (the hole spacing for the bolts), and the 2006 carrier won't fit the 2005 caliper. I hope I'm explaining this well enough and not just confusing the issue further.:banghead

#17 ·
This makes no sense. The calipers are the same part number for all 4 years. They are sourced from PBR - as are the brakes on many other GM vehicles. GM was already deep underwater with the SSR, they were not about to make mechanical changes "just because".

88966985 Caliper, RIGHT
88966986 Caliper, LEFT

88964427 Caliper Mount, RIGHT
88964429 Caliper Mount, LEFT

19259798 Hub & Bearing, LEFT/RIGHT

#18 ·
I did some quick research on part numbers on Rock Auto and here is what I found looking at GM parts only AC Delco Spindle or knuckle shows the same part# for the 2005 and 2006.
The brake caliper bracket shows different numbers
the calipers show different #s.
The hub assembly is showing the same number for both years.
Brake rotors are showing the same part numbers.

So what I could find is the caliper and bracket had different part numbers. Everything else looks to be the same.

#19 ·
The new 2005 calipers were already installed by the time I arrived at the shop. However, I was able to take a photo of the calipers that came off the "R" and a photo of the info on the box that the replacement Calipers came in. The other sets that didn't fit were already sent back. I wish I knew how to put arrows and things in the photo's but if you look closely at the photos and if you have a 2006 that isn't a FPR you might notice they aren't aluminium. If you have a caliper from your SSR on the bench compare it to the photo's. The shop used my Vin # originally to order what they thought were the replacement Calipers. They actually asked me if it was the original Vin #. As per request here is the last 5 vin digits 23472. Perhaps more can be gleaned from the box label.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Your front brake line "fittings" are not "off" the shelf either.

I wanted Braided Stainless lines, can not buy, at least I couldn't find any, had custom made local in Clearwater.

They said fitting was different on front caliper. Used my OEM fitting off old brake lines.

Rubber OEM brake line expands under pressure unlike Braded Stainless. You will feel much firmer brake pedal, at least I do.

I had set made for Walter in NJ, his are Braided Stainless RED

Made and have been running since June 2013! Six years.

Dicktator

1. This is fitting that is different. Mike Moro told me it is same as Trailblazer?
2. Left pictures shows how much larger ID is on Braded Line. Right picture is OEM "smaller" ID.
3. Mine installed
4. Rubber OEM and RED Stainless

Attachments

#23 ·
Your front brake line "fittings" are not "off" the shelf either.

I wanted Braided Stainless lines, can not buy, at least I couldn't find any, had custom made local in Clearwater.

They said fitting was different on front caliper. Used my OEM fitting off old brake lines.

Rubber OEM brake line expands under pressure unlike Braded Stainless. You will feel much firmer brake pedal, at least I do.

I had set made for Walter in NJ, his are Braided Stainless RED

Made and have been running since June 2013! Six years.

Dicktator

1. This is fitting that is different.
2. Left pictures shows how much larger ID is on Braded Line. Right picture is OEM "smaller" ID.
3. Mine installed
4. Rubber OEM and RED Stainless
Thanx for the brake line info. I have been wanting to change those out. The wheel alignment has now been done using your specs and I'm relieved to know that I won't be using my front tires as an eraser anymore. :wink2:

#32 ·
:surprise:

OK, I did not recall that , but it makes sense given the suspension movement. However, while I understand and agree with getting a more solid brake pedal by going with braided stainless on the front wheels, I would argue the short flex line at the rear wouldn't make a noticeable difference.:|

#39 ·
Bruce I think Gr8XL8r is saying it back wards. I think the spacing for the caliper bolts to the caliper bracket mounts is the issue on the bracket. Where the caliper bracket mounts to the spindle or steering knuckle seem to be the same. I could not find any different part numbers for the spindle (steering knuckle), wheel bearing(hub assembly), or brake rotors. I did find different part numbers listed for the caliper and the caliper bracket. So if they used a different spacing on the caliper to the caliper bracket and they were changed out as a pair (caliper and bracket) then they should work. If just swapping the caliper then you have to match it to the bracket bolt spacing.

#40 ·
I have an 05 and my right front caliper froze up. Went to local Pull A Part, found an 05 Trailblazer that looked like it had brand new calipers, pulled them off and changed out both my front calipers. Done deal and work great.... Also pulled the crossmember off that is twice the size as ours and put that on to... Yes I am tight...…...

#44 ·
One more time for good luck. The calipers come with the carriers. Now if the caliper w/ the carrier doesn't fit the Spindle,hub,knuckle, or whatever you want to call it, then how can it be that the two first sets of calipers w/ the carrier attached didn't fit my "R" when the Vin# was used to order those two but a 2005 supplied by using the # on the seized caliper did. Also the two sets of calipers ordered from the vin# were not aluminium. I just took it one step further, I phoned UAP NAPA who supplied all three sets of calipers. the first two sets were smaller, both caliper and carrier than the 3d set. the third set were 2005, aluminium and did fit. Please don't shoot the messenger.

#47 ·
Gr8Lr8r I have no idea what the difference is then. I was guessing the calipers did not have the brackets with them and that was the cause for them to not fit. I looked into all of this because I had swapped all of my front end parts on my 05 and I had pulled parts off of Trailblazers to rebuild for my truck. I checked all the part numbers for an 05 and the Trailblazer after I discovered the lower A Arms were different and found everything the same. When your issue happened I got to looking at the part numbers for the SSR between years 05 and 06 and the only difference I could find was the caliper and caliper brackets. So I am at a total loss as to what they did or why. But thank you very much for the information as I will keep it in the back of my mind for future reference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.