front wheel bearings getting alittle loose? - Chevy SSR Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Texasbaehr
  • 2 Post By darbysan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
04 yellow #04312 guages & yellow running boards
front wheel bearings getting alittle loose?

think you have to replace whole unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:21 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Yes it is a sealed bearing and have to replace the hub assembly. There are a lot of cheap off shore made bearings out there for cheap prices or there are the major brands like Moog, Timken and AC Delco. Even these brands have different levels of quality bearing. Cheapest isn't always the best.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:28 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
They are good for well over 100K. They are sealed and not serviceable like in the past. You have to buy/replace the entire hub Assy that come with new ABS sensors installed but good news is they are available and relatively reasonable.
Don't buy a no name hub (<$100) though because the quality is suspect. I'd recommend GM or Moog, Timken makes them also but they are twice as much.
BlueStreak likes this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
04 yellow #04312 guages & yellow running boards
Thanks

Chevy dealer short drive from house. Gonna replace both sides. 138,000 miles New brakes 4 month,s ago
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 AM
RetroCarGuy530
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow
I'll be replacing the front wheel hub/bearing assemblies on my SSR sometime this week or next week. I purchased the AC Delco FW121 front wheel hub assemblies to install.

I'll be creating a YouTube video of the installation. It appears to be one of the "easier" installations of suspension parts for the SSR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

04 Chevy SSR | 17 Chevy SS Sedan

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 AM

My SSR:
I went with the AC Delco part # FW121 because it was the best warranty. It carries a life time warranty on it. The others are only 12 months for the Timken and 36 months on the Moog.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM

My SSR:
'05 Silver, Auto, Magnuson Supercharger
Started looking at bearings because of this thread, and ran across this technique for diagnosing front hub bearings. I hadn't seen this before, so I thought I would share it.

" I had originally thought the driver side bearing was the bad one but using the Spring Test technique I figured out the passenger side was actually the bad bearing. This technique is where you lift the drivers side tire off the ground jacked by the frame, reach in and grab the spring with one hand, then spin the tire. If the bearing is bad you will feel a distinct vibration coming up through the spring. I felt nothing so I then lifted the passenger side front tire off the ground, held the spring and turned the tire and immediately felt a rumble coming up through the spring. So I took the tire off, caliper and brakes etc got the bearing in hand and yeah it was shot."

HTH
Guzzi Guy and SoCADesertRat like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
That's a great tip! It might save someone money AND grief.

Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:20 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbysan View Post
Started looking at bearings because of this thread, and ran across this technique for diagnosing front hub bearings. I hadn't seen this before, so I thought I would share it.

" I had originally thought the driver side bearing was the bad one but using the Spring Test technique I figured out the passenger side was actually the bad bearing. This technique is where you lift the drivers side tire off the ground jacked by the frame, reach in and grab the spring with one hand, then spin the tire. If the bearing is bad you will feel a distinct vibration coming up through the spring. I felt nothing so I then lifted the passenger side front tire off the ground, held the spring and turned the tire and immediately felt a rumble coming up through the spring. So I took the tire off, caliper and brakes etc got the bearing in hand and yeah it was shot."

HTH
I wonder if this will work on the SSR front end. The springs on our trucks are a coil over type set up and they are setting on rubber pads on the lower end of the spring on the shock and also use a rubber pad at the top. Plus the lower shock mount is mounted to a bolt going through a rubber mount on the lower control arm. I don't know that any feeling from a bad bearing would go through and be noticeable on the springs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 AM
RG

My SSR:
2005 SSR, Pearl White and Aqua Blur
On Amazon:

Warranty, Parts:12 Months / 12,000 Miles (Parts Only)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:20 AM

My SSR:
AC Delco has 2 grades of parts Advantage which is 12 months 12,000 miles and OE Hubs and Bearings which carry a life time warranty on them The FW121 is the OE Hub assembly and would be covered by Ac Delco for life tie according to their web site if purchased after 4/1/2018. I wonder if the listing on Amazon was done before 4/1/2018 and they never updated it when the warranty changed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in