Chevy SSR Forum banner

Fuse Box Engine Compartment

9K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  moscooter 
#1 ·
Looking for someone in Las Vegas nv to help me to fix the wire that breaks . I don't trust it as i have one broken before . There is a lot open spaces in Nevada .

#7 ·
I have to disagree with BlueStreak & Warrior=='06. When Ed did my fuse box at the Jacksonville Rally he drilled a hole in the fuse box and insert a wire. He told me it was a permanent fix. I have an 05 and was worried about the issue. Hopefully Ed will see these post and be able to enlighten us all.

David

#9 ·
================================
Yes, Ed did the permanent fix for you as he had your fusebox right there---you were both in Jax. I live a good 1,000 miles away and must remove my fusebox from my truck & send it to him if I want the same permanent fix.

================
David :black:

#11 ·
Temporary Jumper
This is not a permanent fix. It is intended as means of getting an 05 or 06 "R" with a Underhood Fuse Box issue to run in order to get the "R" home or to a shop for a permanent fix. Due to a lack of interest, I have stopped making the temporary jumper.

Permanent Fix
My permanent fix involves making an opening in the fuse box to access a terminal (the opening is made with a battery powered soldering iron - not by drilling) a wired connector is inserted into the now exposed terminal and the wire connects to the 42 relay. This permanently bypasses the fuse box wire that can open circuit and shut the engine down.
This is not a DIY fix. I can do this fix with the fuse box in place or you can remove the fuse box and ship it to me.

#13 ·
Art Bonadies deserves all of the credit for researching, testing and finding the wire issue.

Art, Dicktator and Dragon2u all prefer to disassemble the fuse box, remove the wire and replace it with a new wire with slightly different routing. This is a very good fix with no visible sign the work done.

My process is easier, faster and 100% effective.
With my process, when you remove the fuse box covers, you will see the electrical connector and the wire going to the 42 relay.

#17 ·
Hi Chuck, I'm in Henderson. I was thinking we could remove the fuse block and send it to Ed for the repair and then when it gets back install it.

I have an old 04 so it has not been a problem on them, at least so far.

Call me to discuss details. 702-277-6499 Thanks Jerry Ostgard

#18 ·
Only the 05/06 SSR have Fuse Box problem.

And as Ed said the credit goes to Art Bonadies aka abonadies and Marty aka Marty, THEY found the "cracked" wire NOT GM.

Dicktator

1. Ed Borland Fix.
2. "Cracked wire" find under magnifying glass.
3. This is where they ALL crack.
4. New wire, New routing.
5. Fuse Box has to be taken apart to replace New wire.

Attachments

#22 ·
I use .032 or 20 gauge copper wire which is identical to the OEM. I buy it at Hobby Lobby but sure you can get it at other places as well.
KGB who owns the R I'm about to buy, has related to me that he has had no such problem with it and thus (all is stock) relative to the fuse box.

If in fact, I begin a 2300 mile journey back home from his place, and all of a sudden, nothing works and it just may indeed be this problem, I'm very interested in the "quick" fix and/or temporary (getaround).

I'll address the permanent fix once I get home, but would like some direction on the quick fix (via a jumper wire or whatever) just in case this "glitch" were to come up for me.:frown2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.