10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Styles Sport Roadster
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Yelow SSR & Yellow Trailer
Unhappy Fuse Box Engine Compartment

Looking for someone in Las Vegas nv to help me to fix the wire that breaks . I don't trust it as i have one broken before . There is a lot open spaces in Nevada .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
It's on SSR How to Library!

Fuse Box Repair

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Not that hard, even I can do it.

Dicktator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 01:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow
Dick doesn't Ed Borlan @ED in FL orida make a jumper to correct the bad wire? I remember him doing my fuse box at the Jacksonville rally. He sells the jumper with instructions for a quick permanent fix.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 03:53 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBittman View Post
Dick doesn't Ed Borlan @ED in FL orida make a jumper to correct the bad wire? I remember him doing my fuse box at the Jacksonville rally. He sells the jumper with instructions for a quick permanent fix.

David
Thank goodness for Dick & ED & all of the people who keep our trucks running when Gm & it's dealers can't...........BIRD
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 04:04 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:

David
I have one of those setups. It is for use to get home and not for full time use as it bypasses some fuses and relays. That is made clear by ED in the instructions that come with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 PM
Genuinely SSR Obsessed

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=3/14/2006 The Black Knight
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I have one of those setups. It is for use to get home and not for full time use as it bypasses some fuses and relays. That is made clear by ED in the instructions that come with it.
=================================
Agree.

There is a "temporary jumper wire fix" and a "permanent fix" that Ed performs when you send him your fusebox.

★★★ The permanent repair is especially of interest to all '05 and '06 owners.

===============
David

=========================================

Livin' the Dream; Thanks Chevrolet
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 05:01 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow
I have to disagree with BlueStreak & Warrior=='06. When Ed did my fuse box at the Jacksonville Rally he drilled a hole in the fuse box and insert a wire. He told me it was a permanent fix. I have an 05 and was worried about the issue. Hopefully Ed will see these post and be able to enlighten us all.

David
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:26 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior=='06 View Post
=================================
Agree.

There is a "temporary jumper wire fix" and a "permanent fix" that Ed performs when you send him your fusebox.

★★★ The permanent repair is especially of interest to all '05 and '06 owners.

===============
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Quote:
I have to disagree with BlueStreak & Warrior=='06. When Ed did my fuse box at the Jacksonville Rally he drilled a hole in the fuse box and insert a wire. He told me it was a permanent fix. I have an 05 and was worried about the issue. Hopefully Ed will see these post and be able to enlighten us all.

David
I think Warrior and I are referring to the Temp fix highlighted above and Maybe I misunderstood the initial request. I do not believe that Ed was suggesting others tackle the drilling that he is doing as a permanent fix.If I am wrong then I must say I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Genuinely SSR Obsessed

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=3/14/2006 The Black Knight
Cool

Quote:

David
================================
Yes, Ed did the permanent fix for you as he had your fusebox right there---you were both in Jax. I live a good 1,000 miles away and must remove my fusebox from my truck & send it to him if I want the same permanent fix.

================
David

=========================================

Livin' the Dream; Thanks Chevrolet
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow
I believe he sells the permanent fix which comes with a template that fits over the fuse box so you know where to drill the small hole. It comes with the wire that gets inserted and directions. I suggest you contact @ED in FL . I would pm him at Ed in FL

David
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Trinity, Florida (Winter), Caledonia, Michigan (Summer)

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue W/Chrome Package
Temporary Jumper
This is not a permanent fix. It is intended as means of getting an 05 or 06 "R" with a Underhood Fuse Box issue to run in order to get the "R" home or to a shop for a permanent fix. Due to a lack of interest, I have stopped making the temporary jumper.

Permanent Fix
My permanent fix involves making an opening in the fuse box to access a terminal (the opening is made with a battery powered soldering iron - not by drilling) a wired connector is inserted into the now exposed terminal and the wire connects to the 42 relay. This permanently bypasses the fuse box wire that can open circuit and shut the engine down.
This is not a DIY fix. I can do this fix with the fuse box in place or you can remove the fuse box and ship it to me.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Ed, just curious, I assume this is different from, and preferred to, removing and rerouting the original wire?

Nick

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 01:40 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Trinity, Florida (Winter), Caledonia, Michigan (Summer)

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue W/Chrome Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj6969 View Post
Ed, just curious, I assume this is different from, and preferred to, removing and rerouting the original wire?

Nick
Art Bonadies deserves all of the credit for researching, testing and finding the wire issue.

Art, Dicktator and Dragon2u all prefer to disassemble the fuse box, remove the wire and replace it with a new wire with slightly different routing. This is a very good fix with no visible sign the work done.

My process is easier, faster and 100% effective.
With my process, when you remove the fuse box covers, you will see the electrical connector and the wire going to the 42 relay.
mikebike likes this.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 02:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow
As I have said earlier Ed did mine at the Jacksonville Rally and it seems to be working GREAT.

David
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 06:37 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 SSR With 5300 Vortech Single Turbo, Stock 4L80E
Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLES SPORT ROADSTER View Post
Looking for someone in Las Vegas nv to help me to fix the wire that breaks . I don't trust it as i have one broken before . There is a lot open spaces in Nevada .
I can help you if you still need it. Just let me know. I live in Henderson Nevada.

Jerry
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Styles Sport Roadster

My SSR:
05 Yelow SSR & Yellow Trailer
Thanks I Will let you know when i can do it . Soon i hope . Where can we do it? I live at Rancho and Lone Mountain ? Let me know did you do yours. Thanks Chuck Styles.
Hollister SSR likes this.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Thanks I Will let you know when i can do it . Soon i hope . Where can we do it? I live at Rancho and Lone Mountain ? Let me know did you do yours. Thanks Chuck Styles.
Hi Chuck, I'm in Henderson. I was thinking we could remove the fuse block and send it to Ed for the repair and then when it gets back install it.

I have an old 04 so it has not been a problem on them, at least so far.

Call me to discuss details. 702-277-6499 Thanks Jerry Ostgard
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:34 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Only the 05/06 SSR have Fuse Box problem.

And as Ed said the credit goes to Art Bonadies aka abonadies and Marty aka Marty, THEY found the "cracked" wire NOT GM.

Dicktator

1. Ed Borland Fix.
2. "Cracked wire" find under magnifying glass.
3. This is where they ALL crack.
4. New wire, New routing.
5. Fuse Box has to be taken apart to replace New wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4518.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	453713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170826_113255.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	453721   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170826_113404.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	453729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5873.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	453737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture5.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	453745  

Jerry and mikebike like this.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Quote:
It's really not hard to do at all, I can walk you through it or watch you via video on phone or laptop if you have issues. I would just replace the wire internally, more of a factory style repair and then you don't have a cracked wire inside the fuse box. Just takes a few minutes to do the work with simple hand tools.

GM has same issues Trailblazers and Corvettes, all have the same exact problem although different affected systems, and it has been discussed for many years on many different forums. Kudos to the boys that found it for the R, but in GMs defense, the problem did not occur until many years after production.

Jerry and Autoprof like this.

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 06:42 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
Only the 05/06 SSR have Fuse Box problem.

And as Ed said the credit goes to Art Bonadies aka abonadies and Marty aka Marty, THEY found the "cracked" wire NOT GM.

Dicktator

1. Ed Borland Fix.
2. "Cracked wire" find under magnifying glass.
3. This is where they ALL crack.
4. New wire, New routing.
5. Fuse Box has to be taken apart to replace New wire.
Guys what are the specs for the replacement wire and where do you get good wire?
Thanks, Jerry
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 07:07 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Guys what are the specs for the replacement wire and where do you get good wire?
Thanks, Jerry
I use .032 or 20 gauge copper wire which is identical to the OEM. I buy it at Hobby Lobby but sure you can get it at other places as well.

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 04:43 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
I use .032 or 20 gauge copper wire which is identical to the OEM. I buy it at Hobby Lobby but sure you can get it at other places as well.
KGB who owns the R I'm about to buy, has related to me that he has had no such problem with it and thus (all is stock) relative to the fuse box.

If in fact, I begin a 2300 mile journey back home from his place, and all of a sudden, nothing works and it just may indeed be this problem, I'm very interested in the "quick" fix and/or temporary (getaround).

I'll address the permanent fix once I get home, but would like some direction on the quick fix (via a jumper wire or whatever) just in case this "glitch" were to come up for me.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
They don't all fail, it's just a possibility the can be preempted. Ed Borland made a temporary jumper that plugs in the top that will work around this problem should it arise. I keep one in the glove box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jumper.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	453993  

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post
KGB who owns the R I'm about to buy, has related to me that he has had no such problem with it and thus (all is stock) relative to the fuse box.

If in fact, I begin a 2300 mile journey back home from his place, and all of a sudden, nothing works and it just may indeed be this problem, I'm very interested in the "quick" fix and/or temporary (getaround).

I'll address the permanent fix once I get home, but would like some direction on the quick fix (via a jumper wire or whatever) just in case this "glitch" were to come up for me.
Sounds like you are a little apprehensive getting something you have never driven before in areas where you have never been and don't know anyone, it's understandable. The fuse problem does not affect all of the trucks, but you never know which one has the problem until it arises.

You could ask someone to borrow a pre made fuse bypass kit just for the trip and return it when you are home. Then you can have the fuse box repaired when you get time.

Or you could make your own bypass for about $10.
1. Get 2 of these from EBay or your local parts house - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182118021873
2. Splice them together, and purchase two 15 amp mini fuses and put them into the top of the jumpers.
2. Do not install the bypass until you have a problem, it is NOT for daily driving. When you do have the issue, open the under hood fuse box. Remove relay 42. You are now going to jump fuse 23 to 35 with the jumper. Take fuse 23 out and install it to the bottom of one jumper side, take fuse 35 off and install it in the bottom of the other jumper then install the jumper connectors in the 2 fuse areas you just removed from.

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 05:41 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
Sounds like you are a little apprehensive getting something you have never driven before in areas where you have never been and don't know anyone, it's understandable. The fuse problem does not affect all of the trucks, but you never know which one has the problem until it arises.

You could ask someone to borrow a pre made fuse bypass kit just for the trip and return it when you are home. Then you can have the fuse box repaired when you get time.

Or you could make your own bypass for about $10.
1. Get 2 of these from EBay or your local parts house - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182118021873
2. Splice them together, and purchase two 15 amp mini fuses and put them into the top of the jumpers.
2. Do not install the bypass until you have a problem, it is NOT for daily driving. When you do have the issue, open the under hood fuse box. Remove relay 42. You are now going to jump fuse 23 to 35 with the jumper. Take fuse 23 out and install it to the bottom of one jumper side, take fuse 35 off and install it in the bottom of the other jumper then install the jumper connectors in the 2 fuse areas you just removed from.

OK, I'm thinkin' I kinda got the picture. Those EBAY jumper deals seem to have a mini fuse stacked on top of a regular sized fuse???? Is that correct?

So I get the two 15 amp minis, they go in the top of said jumpers, and u then R&R the #23 and #35 fuses by putting one in the bottom of one side of jumper and the other in bottom of other side of jumper and then re-plug them back into respective slots.

Plus you indicate need for removal of relay 42...........have I got it all right?

Thanks a bunch for the guidance on how to prepare the temporary fix "kit".
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:16 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:

OK, I'm thinkin' I kinda got the picture. .........have I got it all right?

Thanks a bunch for the guidance on how to prepare the temporary fix "kit".
Yes

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:22 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'06 FPR #23615 ______ DOB 02.28.06
Garage
Quote:

moscooter

Iíll be in Vegas in a couple of weeks for SEMA, if your not planning on getting it before then I have a couple extra that I carry around with me and I can get one to KGB for you to put in the truck.

Rope
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:27 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'06 FPR #23615 ______ DOB 02.28.06
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I can help you if you still need it. Just let me know. I live in Henderson Nevada.

Jerry
Jerry

Iíve got a spare fuse box that Dragon2U did the permanent fix on I could bring down when I come to SEMA.

Rope
Jerry likes this.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:39 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSTR42 View Post
moscooter

Iíll be in Vegas in a couple of weeks for SEMA, if your not planning on getting it before then I have a couple extra that I carry around with me and I can get one to KGB for you to put in the truck.

Rope
Rope,

That would be great, but I'm not clear on the dates for SEMA. I've got some serious surgery to go thru this Friday. Hoping that all goes well, and no lingering problems.....I would like to make some plans to get out there to Vegas sometime in early part of November. No set date yet.

If the timing works out, and you're there before me..........Get KGB to pay you for the cost of the jumper and then I'll reimburse him.........Really appreciate it.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 07:59 PM
kgb
SSR Pit Crew

Rope, I will see you over at Uncle Daves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in