Chevy SSR Forum banner

Header latch

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  river_rat 
#1 ·
My header latch won't release. Is there a fuse specifically for this. If not and I manually unlatch it what should I look for to see why it wouldn't release. Should I be able to latch it manually once I unlatch it.

#2 ·
I can only answer part of your questions. Yes you should be able to latch it again if you manually unlatch it. You need to be carefull that you get the roof tool seated in the socket properly and do not force it or beat it in (that will break something). Hopefully someone better qualified will respond here as well.

#3 ·
That was the problem I had. Folding roof cover lid would go up then time out. I manually unlatched it with tool, put top down by hand (you will need two persons) I found the linkage going to switch on drivers side was not hitting switch. Linkage is adjustable, tricky popping back on though. You can take off plastic trim and see if switch is being made before you unlatch header. There is two more switches under plate holding header motor that you can't see until you remove header motor. Is yours timing out?

#4 ·
Not timing out. Push button, windows go down than pump starts and with in nano seconds the pump gets real loud and nothing moves. Do not hear latches release as before. I want to manually release latch but am leary because I'm out of town till Monday and don't want to get in a situation where it is not latched.

#5 · (Edited)
Robert, I'm having difficulty understanding your description of what all is happening. After the Windows go down, the Tonneau latches are the next thing to release. The header latch doesn't come into play until after the Tonneau extends and the the Close Out (flipper-extension) Panel extends.

Also on a separate but important note, the roof tool was never really intended to be used to release the header latch(es). Early documentation refers to the tool as a means to only be used to secure the top in an emergency situation. Somewhere along the way the documentation changed to refer to the tool as a means to latch/unlatch the header. If you use it to release a top that has the header latched, there is torque on that motor shaft holding the outer latches in place. As such you are fighting that friction on the splined motor shaft when you insert the roof tool. That is why a number of people force that shaft upward breaking the plastic ears which hold the shaft spring clip in place. When using the roof tool to manually latch the top in an emergency situation, the header latch motor is free and so slipping the tool into place and getting the motor shaft to disengage takes very little effort.

#7 · (Edited)
Sounds like one of the Tonneau Latches are binding. See if the Roof Tonneau is actually unlatching. Press the Roof Open switch, when the pump stops, turn off the key and wait approx 15-20 seconds. With two people, GENTLY try to lift each side of the Tonneau cover to see if it is unlatched. If it is, continue lifting and rotating the Tonneau SLOWLY and STEADILY upwards and rearward. You are working against the hydraulic fluid in the Roof Tonneau cylinders, so don't force anything. Look for any issues with the Tonneau latches and the latch retainer hooks. Also check for fluid leaks in the wells inboard of the quarter panels in the roof stowage area.

#8 ·
This is way out there, but, you don't have a "Sound deadening" thing that you forgot to remove when you opened it and then it got jammed somewhere in the hinges?!? I know----just a far out thought.

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.