• 2 Post By dave rasmussen
  • 2 Post By Autoprof
  • 1 Post By Texasbaehr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

Headlight bulb swap---Worth the hassle?

I've seen the suggested recommendation for the Sylvania bulbs, both the high and low beams.

Not knowing if I had these or not, I thought (no big deal), I'll pull 'em out and check. By the way, they are all working OK now.

So, checking my Service manual, I see I gotta turn the front wheels to access the little trap door. Once I did that, I quickly discover that my (lowered front end + big tires)make getting to that tiny door screw quite a hassle.

No room to get a socket on it, Digging into my small open ended wrenches, I find a tiny 7/32 ignition wrench fits. So at less than a half turn at a time, I finally get the screw out and the door off............(I dread trying to get that damn screw started again) and NO, I have no desire to jack up and pull off a wheel/tire to do it.

So I found that I did indeed have the prescribed Sylvania for the high beam, so good to go on that one. But the low beam is currently a Phillips 55W.

Is it really worth the hassle to swap out my current low beams for the Sylvania ones when they are working OK now or do the Sylvania deals throw out a stronger better light???

Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
love it or change it

If you are happy with the light, then leave it.

IMO

Dave
BlueStreak and nj6969 like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
Driving at night in your neighborhood and your Eyes and Reaction time will be Your yardstick... Not Our Opinions, as we Don't live and drive in your area. If you Need more light, change 'em out, by all means.
Out West, I Still have the OEM bulbs and they are adequate for where I drive. (also have had cadillacs removed from both eyes) and OEMs are Ok by me.
I have replaced 3 sets of Fog Lights....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:03 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow bear View Post
(also have had cadillacs removed from both eyes) and OEMs are Ok
I hope your not planning to replace those Cadillacs with Lincoln's (see image)

Just a little fun at your expense
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0054.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	550095  
yellow bear and Ireland SSR like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:54 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
I changed all mine when one Low beam bulb went out. I got the Sylvania ZXE bulbs on line for half of what the local parts stores sell them for.
We live in an area with no street lights and it pitch black at night. The ZXE bulbs made a very noticeable difference in both low and high beams driving at night out here. I have read reports they don't last as long as standard bulbs but mine have been in for 2+yrs and 20K+ mi now. I wish the HDM Relay would last that long!
Autoprof likes this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
moscooter

When I changed my bulbs and had to remove door, I changed the screw to 7mm to match all the other 7mm on our SSR.

I tried HID which are illigal on Highway, removed and installed Sylvania ZXE which are 3 times brighter. Happy so far.

Long trips, I turn my running lights off, just turn the switch, when you get out Headlight switch will "ding" to remind you to reset.

Dicktator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
moscooter

When I changed my bulbs and had to remove door, I changed the screw to 7mm to match all the other 7mm on our SSR.

I tried HID which are illigal on Highway, removed and installed Sylvania ZXE which are 3 times brighter. Happy so far.

Long trips, I turn my running lights off, just turn the switch, when you get out Headlight switch will "ding" to remind you to reset.

Dicktator

A couple of questions before I make another Amazon purchase. Sylvania seems to offer multiple versions of their H11 ZXE bulbs.

There is a ZXE "Gold" for $64.99 and also a ZXE for $54.99. Not quite sure what the "gold" label and extra 10 bucks gets ya.

Also.............Dictator. As to your (long trips) comments. In order to turn off the running lights, you must mean you are then running your regular headlights. Not sure how the "running lights" work.......are they in fact the regular headlight bulbs running at a reduced voltage or what. If that is the case, are you doing that on long trips to get better longevity out of those ZXEs.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:42 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Smokin asphalt,purchased in August 2005 first owner. Nerf Bars, some engine billet parts
I changed my low beams and the Sylvania are much brighter than the originals which in my opinion are not that good.
Did not remove wheel just turn the steering to gain access. Easy job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in