• 1 Post By richsadams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Help! Lost All Stereo Audio

Well, I thought I was going to be posting good news tonight, but instead, bad news... and I've no idea what happened.

UPDATE: Hold that thought. I just tried to fire her up and the battery is dead... click, click, click. So I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Surprised the stereo ran it down but I guess I was playing it for quite a while. Too late to jump it, don't want to disturb the neighbors. So I'll report back in the morning. Dead battery. Sheesh.

UPDATE II: As Dicktator and others (even myself for once!) surmised, it was the battery. I jump-started it with the wife's car this morning and life is good again. Phew!

I removed my Bose 6CD stereo and installed a new Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX stereo today. I tested everything out before mounting it. Everything played fine, HD radio, DVD movie, Apple Play, all checked out. I was getting ready to put the dash back together while it was playing a DVD movie when it started sort of stuttering, the sound went in and out a few times and then the entire unit shut down. ???

I checked all of the wiring, no loose ends. Checked the radio and amplifier fuses, both good. I unplugged the Pioneer completely for a few minutes and plugged it back in. The splash screen appeared and then it just went dead again. I can faintly hear the little "ding" when the initial warning screen appears and I press "OK" (when it gets that far), but then it shuts down again. I did this a few more times with varying degrees of success... getting to the main menu a couple of times but it keeps completely shutting down, black screen and all button lights out.

The normal door/alarm chimes are working through the speakers just fine BTW.

So I tried plugging the OEM radio back in. Initially I had sound but within about 10 seconds the audio stopped completely. The radio appears to be working, all normal digital readouts appear, time, volume meter goes up and down, but zero audio.

At first I thought my new stereo was failing, but I think I can rule that out because the original radio, which had been working fine all along, doesn't have any audio either, although it doesn't just shut down like the new Pioneer stereo.

So is the Bose amp in trouble? Is there a way to bypass it and just use the Pioneer (if that would work)?

Welcome any ideas because I'm stumped. And pretty bummed.

TIA!

Cheers,

Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:51 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
If the Bose amp goes out there is no sound. Check the amp fuse in the rear fusebox. You may have blew the fuse.
Also, if the speakers are not hooked up the radio may shut down to protect the amplifier.
Check to make sure speakers are all properly wired, plugged into the correct connections on the radio and connectors are tight on the interface.
Greg
richsadams likes this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbaehr View Post
If the Bose amp goes out there is no sound. Check the amp fuse in the rear fusebox. You may have blew the fuse.
Also, if the speakers are not hooked up the radio may shut down to protect the amplifier.
Check to make sure speakers are all properly wired, plugged into the correct connections on the radio and connectors are tight on the interface.
Greg
Thanks Greg... you're up late!

As mentioned in my update above, the battery is dead, at least it won't crank the engine, just click, click, click. It'll still power a few things but it's clearly just about out of juice. My fault for playing one to many classic rock songs waaaayyy too loud I guess.

I'll jump it in the morning and report back. Hopefully that's it because it was working perfectly and then... it wasn't. Live and learn.

Cheers,

Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:07 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
richsadams,

SSR has 12 Volt Battery and ignition switch MUST see 9 volts to start/run R.

9 from 12 only leave 3 volts to play with.

That is why you must be careful not to play around with out starting R.

IF you run roof without R engine running you will only get a few times and R won't start.

Roof takes 13amp to run!

Strongly suggest you run R when running roof.

You may have damaged your ignition switch when you ran down battery and "jumped" to start.

EVERYTHING goes thru ignition switch.

5 sets of points in switch which handles 12VDC and sends signal to engine computer in Milliamps and Millivolts. Wrong signal, wrong results. I have seen where windows won't go down, radio won't work, won't shift into overdrive. Why? Points got "burnt".

SSR has Multiplex Class 2 wiring, GROUND completes the circuit.

Dicktator
John4598 and richsadams like this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
richsadams,

SSR has 12 Volt Battery and ignition switch MUST see 9 volts to start/run R.

<snip>
Got it. See my reply here.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:12 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
"rich" ... Give a great big Grand Ole Opry welcome to the Everly Brothers singing their new number 1 single "Problems" ("Problems, Problems, Problems all day long ... will my Problems turn out Right or Wrong") !!!
richsadams likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM
Enjoying life as it comes

My SSR:
Originally Smokin Asphalt 03 #00099 now kustom graphics, tu-tone Kandy Lime Green/Pearl White
I agree with dictator. Low voltage will cause all kinds of issues with the R. As will grounds.

It's true about the not shifting correctly if it doesn't get the correct signal through the ignition switch. I had to change mine out to correct that issue this year.
richsadams likes this.

Go fast till you see GOD, THEN HIT THE BRAKES!!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Crisis over. As Dicktator and the rest of you (even myself for once!) surmised, it was the battery/low voltage. I jump-started it with the wife's car this morning and life is good again. Phew!

I have audio with the new stereo just like it should be.

Thanks so much for all of the Łber fast replies! I've said it before and I'll say it again, this forum is a national treasure!
Texasbaehr likes this.

Cheers,

Rich

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
20 minutes or so is probably the max you can play the radio while detailing your truck Without the Engine running. The battery won't take it.

Don't forget... "A Battery makes its Living.... Dying"....
richsadams likes this.

Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Crisis over. As Dicktator and the rest of you (even myself for once!) surmised, it was the battery/low voltage. I jump-started it with the wife's car this morning and life is good again. Phew!

I have audio with the new stereo just like it should be.

Thanks so much for all of the Łber fast replies! I've said it before and I'll say it again, this forum is a national treasure!
Glad it was an easy fix. How about putting the charger, not maintainer, on while doing extensive work with accessories on ??!!? unless you'er like me and think you are only going to do a quickie job that turns into 3 hours.

Nick
richsadams likes this.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Help! Lost All Stereo Audio

Indeed. It has what I think is a a trickle charger attached to the battery case with a 110v plug hanging off of it. Havenít tried it since I take it out every few days. Maybe Iíll see if it actually works.

I donít have an actual battery charger though. Might have to make that investment.

Oh man, those ďIíll just do this one little thingĒ that turns into an all-day project are more the rule than the exception thatís for sure!

Just glad all is right with the world again.

Cheers,

Rich

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:06 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Glad you hot it figured out.
Be careful on what charger you use if you have an Optima or any other AGM battery. They don't like too much current that a regular charge might produce and would allow voltage to reach over 15.
If you don't have AGM setting on charger best for battery to keep charger current below about 5 amps
Texasbaehr and richsadams like this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoprof View Post
Glad you hot it figured out.
Be careful on what charger you use if you have an Optima or any other AGM battery. They don't like too much current that a regular charge might produce and would allow voltage to reach over 15.
If you don't have AGM setting on charger best for battery to keep charger current below about 5 amps
Great to know... R's are a bit finicky aren't they? Guess it's like anything worth having, it's worth the investment.

I mentioned in another thread that the new stereo is working perfectly now. I had to do some mods to the back of the dash to accommodate it among other tweaks and tricks, but it's good to go. Slid it in the dash and it looks and sounds great. Will post more details and photos once it's all buttoned up.

Thanks to all again... you guys and gals rock!

P.S. More good news today... just heard from Mike/Dragon2U and he's been able to resuscitate two of the R's air vents that had seen better days, missing fins and one even missing the center adjuster. He's a miracle worker. What a difference a day makes.
BlueStreak likes this.

Cheers,

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in