How Do You Adjust The Driver's Door Striker Plate? Driver's Door Loose When Closed - Chevy SSR Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Topspin
  • 4 Post By ggoat!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
How Do You Adjust The Driver's Door Striker Plate? Driver's Door Loose When Closed

Hi again...

How do you adjust the driver's door so that it closes tighter? I can easily push my driver's door another 1/8" when the door is closed; it isn't tight at all against the striker. When I close the door with the top down it makes a loud clanking back and forth. The passenger door is tight.

I loosened the striker and hit it with a mallet so that it is as close as possible to the center of the truck. No change. Then, I loosened it and pryed it as far away from the center as possible. No change again. The striker doesn't move much when you loosen the two torx bolts.

I haven't touched anything on the door itself.

So...how do you adjust the door so that when you close it it's tight against the body? Something so simple yet I can't seem to figure it out...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:15 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
Hi again...

How do you adjust the driver's door so that it closes tighter? I can easily push my driver's door another 1/8" when the door is closed; it isn't tight at all against the striker. When I close the door with the top down it makes a loud clanking back and forth. The passenger door is tight.

I loosened the striker and hit it with a mallet so that it is as close as possible to the center of the truck. No change. Then, I loosened it and pryed it as far away from the center as possible. No change again. The striker doesn't move much when you loosen the two torx bolts.

I haven't touched anything on the door itself.

So...how do you adjust the door so that when you close it it's tight against the body? Something so simple yet I can't seem to figure it out...

Thanks!
Jeff, you need to free up the sliding plate behind the sheet metal. I backed the bolts out several turns, then hit them square on with a decent sized hammer and a brass drift. It took several attempts, but the plate did come loose and then precise adjustment was easy. The plate is just stuck to the paint and needs some persuasion!
ggoat!!! likes this.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:06 PM
BAD BOW TIE
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
If the striker is loose and nothing had moved prior to this I would be suspect the hinges or something are sprung or bent or some of the weatherstripping is missing in order to create the space you talked about. I think I would look everything over very carefully before I moved the striker. Just me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
A door dent was worked on by Eric. I didn't notice the door was loose until the top was down. The window weatherstripping holds it modestly tight to not notice the problem until the top is down.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 AM
Tech Support/Research
Lifetime Supporting Member

"Loose" Door

Maybe this will help in addition to adjusting the striker:

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...repair-217313/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
Jeff, you need to free up the sliding plate behind the sheet metal. I backed the bolts out several turns, then hit them square on with a decent sized hammer and a brass drift. It took several attempts, but the plate did come loose and then precise adjustment was easy. The plate is just stuck to the paint and needs some persuasion!
Thanks Ken! This worked. I was a little scared after hitting the bolts straight on because it seemed the inner metal plate was pushing IN as if it was breaking off. I didn't want it to fall off into the body. I don't know if that is possible but after hitting it the threaded part WAS able to be pushed in a bit.

Maybe that's normal. Anyway, once I did that, I was then able to tap the striker with a rubber mallet and move it toward the center of the truck. The door closes nice and tight now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in