How do you remove the passenger INTERIOR A-pillar cover? Gotta damn recurring leak... - Chevy SSR Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By TXNSSR
  • 1 Post By yellow bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
Question How do you remove the passenger INTERIOR A-pillar cover? Gotta damn recurring leak...

Hi...I have a water leak on the passenger A-pillar side somewhere.

I've done all the fixes on this site. I removed the cowl, checked and cleaned the drains, covered the top of the blower motor inlet...no change.

I removed the exterior A-pillar cover, removed the weatherstripping, cleaned out all the old dried up clumped up sticky worthless sealant on the lip and inside the weatherstripping, sealed the weatherstripping to the metal lip with 2 full tubes of black RTV. I removed the top elbow of the weatherstrip at the tip of the A-pillar itself (where it meets the roof) and absolutely covered the top edge of the metal A-pillar with tons of RTV and replaced the weatherstripping. I made sure that I left both drains in the weatherstripping open by checking with a syringe full of water and put it back together...and it still leaked.

I removed the exterior A-pillar again, this time doing what was recommended on this forum (by Ripshift maybe?) and used the black RTV to seal the crease between the weatherstripping and A-pillar metal while paying attention to NOT seal the open water channel. Put it back together...still leaks.

Inside, I see drops of water pooling at the bottom of the interior A-pillar cover where it meets the body color wrap-around trim. So, the leak must be up there somewhere. I have to remove the interior A-pillar to see where the water is entering.

So...how do you remove the interior A-pillar cover on the passenger side?

Thanks!
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:15 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
As I recall, and I could be wrong, remove the visors and unplugging the visor lights after removing the screws from the base. Then remove the panel above the windshield and unplug it the wire in the back there too. Finally remove the inside A pillar covers. The A pillar has the typical metal snap in clips (2?) and plastic fingers that extend behind the body color trim at the base of the windshield to help hold it “in” at the bottom.

-Robert
ggoat!!! and yellow bear like this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Ex SoCal Nut
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
When re installing.... remove the metal clips from the tabs and insert them into their slots B-4 putting the trim back in place.
ggoat!!! likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in