• 1 Post By carlbush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Smokin' Asphalt
Hydraulic Cylinder Installation

With the assistance of @Dicktator s instruction guide, I removed the eight hydraulic cylinders for the top last weekend and sent them off to Cabriolet Hydraulics to be rebuilt (main cylinder on the passenger side was leaking at the bottom). Pneumatic cylinders were replaced by the previous owner last year - apparently sold the truck to avoid the inevitable. Rebuilt cylinders should arrive today.

Searched the site for instructions on the appropriate steps to follow upon reinstallation to get the dry cylinders recharged, air bled out and the top back into operation. Was unsuccessful in my search. Is there an instruction guide for reinstall or could someone help me with the process?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Looking forward to going topless again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:23 AM

My SSR:
2004 Sling Shot Yellow, purchased with 44,000 miles on February 26, 2018
Garage
Once you refill the hydraulic reservoir, you may need to manually move the tonneau cover and flapper several times to move the hydraulic fluid into the cylinders. Do this with the engine running so that the solenoid valves stay open and allow fluid to move. No need to bleed air from the system. Hope this helps.

Pat
RedlineRyder likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Smokin' Asphalt
Thanks, Pat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 08:32 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat LeBlanc View Post
Once you refill the hydraulic reservoir, you may need to manually move the tonneau cover and flapper several times to move the hydraulic fluid into the cylinders. Do this with the engine running so that the solenoid valves stay open and allow fluid to move. No need to bleed air from the system. Hope this helps.

Pat
Wk Trk, Manually working the tonneau and flapper is a two-person job and be VERY careful when doing so (especially the flapper), I have seen 1 instance (and recently read of a second on this forum) of the nuts that attach the hinge to the flapper pull out of the flapper fiberglass. Not a happy way to end a tough day of installing hydraulic cylinders. Re-attaching those nuts is a harder job than installing the cylinders!

Roswell is 6 hours from my place ... wish I were closer. I have removed/installed 6 sets of cylinders for other forum members. Installation is less troublesome than removal, but there are a couple of things you can (must) do to make the job go a bit easier. Let me know if you want to chat about a few particulars.

Good luck!

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 09:06 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Sounds to me like WkTrk should drive the six hours to CARLBUSH (can't think of a better reason to drive six hours with top up and six hours back with top down) and get some expert help, it's hard enough working in that top storage hole when you know what you are doing and it's almost impossible when you don't know what you are doing...just my skinned knuckles opinion...Speedpc
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:07 AM

can we just fix one cylinder at a time just one is bad can any help me with this
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:59 AM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcr View Post
can we just fix one cylinder at a time just one is bad can any help me with this

Sure you can do one at a time. But it's kinda like only cooking one side of your steak. Bottom line... always do these in pairs at a minimum. And it's best to do all of them at the same time if you can.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 09:14 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
Hydraulic Cylinder Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbush View Post
Wk Trk, Manually working the tonneau and flapper is a two-person job and be VERY careful when doing so (especially the flapper), I have seen 1 instance (and recently read of a second on this forum) of the nuts that attach the hinge to the flapper pull out of the flapper fiberglass. Not a happy way to end a tough day of installing hydraulic cylinders. Re-attaching those nuts is a harder job than installing the cylinders!

Roswell is 6 hours from my place ... wish I were closer. I have removed/installed 6 sets of cylinders for other forum members. Installation is less troublesome than removal, but there are a couple of things you can (must) do to make the job go a bit easier. Let me know if you want to chat about a few particulars.

Good luck!
Carl, I for one want to thank you for offering your time to help out a fellow fanatic with his top issue. It is a very generous offer and one I would certainly appreciate. Your experience is invaluable!

Dave
Auggie Doggie and SSReplay like this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 09:26 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcr View Post
Sure you can, but as Dicktator has stated in earlier posts, it is like rebuilding an engine one cylinder at a time. Why do all the hard work of taking it apart and putting it together over and over?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 10:55 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Two Tone Jet Black&Chrome Auto
Don't even consider.........

I saw your Roof Struts were changed, but for everyone else, don't even consider changing the main lift cylinders without changing the pneumatic Roof Struts. Each Roof Strut when operating properly takes 160 lbs of load (360 lbs total) off the hydraulic system when lifting the top and supports it when lowering. If the pneumatic Roof Struts are faulty (tired from 14 years of use) as the top is almost down it will drop the foot or so creating a large hydraulic pressure surge in the system blowing out the next weakest cylinder. Get them from Simple-Engineering "LST Roof Struts" https://shop.simple-engineering.com/...c?categoryId=8

Jack
Autoprof and SSReplay like this.

It is not easy being a Hyper Old Person.

Jack Pruitt
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:40 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Everyone have giving you good advise!

Just go slow, don't force anything, if it comes apart, it goes back together.

Just read SSR HOW TO LIBARAY backward.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 05:59 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver
I have an 04 with a leaking cylinder. Are there any fanatics in Texas that has replaced theirs that could help me get mine fixed. I would be more than glad to help if I can and also willing to pay you for your time.
Fall is just around the corner and I want my top down for cruising.

Thank you for your response on here or on a PM

Silver Bullett
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Smokin' Asphalt
Quote:
Quote:

Pat

Good luck!
Carl, I wish I could make the trip to Atlantic Beach, but definitely appreciate your insights and offer to chat. I will PM you to coordinate a good time for us to connect. The cylinders did not arrive yesterday, so maybe I will have them tomorrow. Dan
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 04:32 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wk Trk View Post
Carl, I wish I could make the trip to Atlantic Beach, but definitely appreciate your insights and offer to chat. I will PM you to coordinate a good time for us to connect. The cylinders did not arrive yesterday, so maybe I will have them tomorrow. Dan
Dan, responded to your PM. I'm available to chat.

Attached pic is of the flapper nuts that pulled from the flapper cover. Not a lot of shoulder on those bolts and only 4 of them hold the flapper to the hinges. Manually opening the flapper puts a LOT of stress on those little guys!

Cheers, Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flapper.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	529383  

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Wk Trk, sorry got to thinking about install of rebuilt cylinders.

Re: Hydraulic Cylinder Installation

After you get all the cylinders installed and the reservoir filled you must get oil back into cylinders and hoses, of course.

Loosen reservoir bolt carefully, PLASTIC 14 YEARS OLD, fill with CHF-11S Oil, (Advance/AutoZone) to GREEN dot on Reservoir. Use Mustard/Ketchup plastic squeeze bottle to put in hydraulic oil.

Easiest way with two people "pump" slowly roof cover and flipper up and down, even move roof manually into roof compartment, careful HEAVY.

At the same time run pump from "button" every few minutes until pump/cylinders have oil. Self purging pump. Check reservoir and refill to GREEN DOT as needed. Just hand tighten reservoir bolt.

DO NOT tighten reservoir bolt until ALL cylinders and pump are running. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN/PLASTIC!!

In about a week, check oil again, it may be low, until ALL air is out, in fact pump may not move roof sometimes until air is out, not to worry. Can't hurt pump.

Go to SSR How to Library for type oil, etc.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00770.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	529419   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	529421   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00769.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	529423  

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Smokin' Asphalt
Success! Got the rebuilt cylinders installed over the course of two evenings after work and the top is operational! Smooth as silk and settles quietly into the stowed position. Thanks to @carlbush for taking the time to talk me through the reinstallation process and @Dicktator for his insights via PM. Doing it without an experienced assistant present was a bit nerve racking, but now I would be glad to help anyone who finds themselves in need of a cylinder replacement. Great to have wind in my hair again!
nj6969, Guzzi Guy and SSReplay like this.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:05 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wk Trk View Post
Success! Got the rebuilt cylinders installed over the course of two evenings after work and the top is operational! Smooth as silk and settles quietly into the stowed position. Thanks to @carlbush for taking the time to talk me through the reinstallation process and @Dicktator for his insights via PM. Doing it without an experienced assistant present was a bit nerve racking, but now I would be glad to help anyone who finds themselves in need of a cylinder replacement. Great to have wind in my hair again!
CONGRATS Dan! It's a great feeling (I know!) when it finally goes up and down on its own! Don't forget to recheck the fluid level after a day or two (just halt the opening cycle when the tonneau is open) and to ensure no follow-on leaks! I'M HAPPY FOR YA!

Cheers,

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 05:50 PM
Boydster

My SSR:
Silver Bella '06 with bright chrome
I'm new to this forum - trying to find someone to talk to about SSR. I have been interested in a SSR since they first came out. I am in St. Johns FL. Any opportunity to talk would be greatly appreciated. The system will not allow me to private message as I have not had enough posts.
Thank you!
Boyd
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 06:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
Send a message via AIM to TheXCepsion
Hello Boyd, welcome too the Forum. I am sure there will be more than enough People too talk with You about the SSR. We are all proud of our Rs and are always up for sharing things about them with others. You can get your posts numbers up by welcoming New Members as they arrive onsite, and in the process maybe make some New Friends as well. Do You own an R or are You contemplating the adoption of one into your family?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 06:19 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
I'm new to this forum - trying to find someone to talk to about SSR. I have been interested in a SSR since they first came out. I am in St. Johns FL. Any opportunity to talk would be greatly appreciated. The system will not allow me to private message as I have not had enough posts.
Thank you!
Boyd
Boyd,

I am in Atlantic Beach, FL. not far from St. Johns. There is also an SSR Fanatic who lives in Ponte Vedra (but I'll let him make his own acquaintance). I'm happy to chat with you and provide the "good, bad, and ugly" on the SSR so you are equipped to do your own inspection when the time comes. My email is: [email protected]

Cheers, Carl

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:44 PM
Boydster

My SSR:
Silver Bella '06 with bright chrome
Thanks for the warm welcome - contemplating "adoption" - Not the greatest at the computer - so it takes me awhile. I'm old school. I have yet see one in person - saw them when they first came out but never got a chance to drive one. They remind me of a modern Elcamino - but cooler design.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:45 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Lonnie lights #43,confidence by simple Engineering
Send a message via Yahoo to abadssr
I have to admit I havenít looked but how do the hoses come off the cylinders

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:38 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome - contemplating "adoption" - Not the greatest at the computer - so it takes me awhile. I'm old school. I have yet see one in person - saw them when they first came out but never got a chance to drive one. They remind me of a modern Elcamino - but cooler design.
Boyd, read the threads and learn as much as you can so you'll have the right questions when you get to talk to owners.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 12:02 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Roselle, Illinois This is located NW of Chicago about 25 miles.

My SSR:
2006 Black with running boards and chrome package. Have added items from Florida and Texas.
BOYD - - You are involving yourself with people who will fall over themselves trying (and succeding) to help you. You may have to stand back a little to keep them
from knocking you over with information. When you get an SSR you won't regret it unless you have a problem of people looking at you with envy. Good luck with your decision. WSK
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 04:05 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abadssr View Post
I have to admit I havenít looked but how do the hoses come off the cylinders
There are small retaining clips that secure the hoses to the cylinders. The clips slide into a groove built into the cylinder and have a notch that engages the hose tip shoulder. It may take some "oomph" to get the clip OFF. Some you can grab the end with a small pliers and pull, others you may use a flat screwdriver to engage the "rolled" end and "bump" out. See attached picture. It is very difficult to find replacements for these clips! DO NOT LOSE ANY OF THEM! They can be flattened back out if you bend one.

The nipple of the hose MUST be FULLY-SEATED in order for the clip to slide over the shoulder in the nipple end. Hose nipples MUST be inserted square to the hole in the cylinder, do not twist or press in at an angle, you may damage either the nipple or the hole.

Ensure that the rubber O-ring is in place on the nipple before inserting. If you do not have the O-ring, you WILL get a leak when hydraulic pressure is applied.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tube.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	529649  
nj6969 likes this.

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:19 AM

My SSR:
2004 Sling Shot Yellow, purchased with 44,000 miles on February 26, 2018
Garage
Quote:
There are small retaining clips that secure the hoses to the cylinders. The clips slide into a groove built into the cylinder and have a notch that engages the hose tip shoulder. It may take some "oomph" to get the clip OFF. Some you can grab the end with a small pliers and pull, others you may use a flat screwdriver to engage the "rolled" end and "bump" out. See attached picture. It is very difficult to find replacements for these clips! DO NOT LOSE ANY OF THEM! They can be flattened back out if you bend one.

The nipple of the hose MUST be FULLY-SEATED in order for the clip to slide over the shoulder in the nipple end. Hose nipples MUST be inserted square to the hole in the cylinder, do not twist or press in at an angle, you may damage either the nipple or the hole.

Ensure that the rubber O-ring is in place on the nipple before inserting. If you do not have the O-ring, you WILL get a leak when hydraulic pressure is applied.
I managed to lose one when removing the main roof cylinders. They are available from Cabriolet Hydraulics (same guys that rebuild the cylinders).
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:30 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
I managed to lose one when removing the main roof cylinders. They are available from Cabriolet Hydraulics (same guys that rebuild the cylinders).
Thanks Pat, that is GREAT info to have!
Cheers,

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in