Key Fob Upgrade/Refurb - Chevy SSR Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR) 2005 Flame Pace Trk (CFO's)
Key Fob Upgrade/Refurb

Thought the following may be of interest.

One of my Key Fobs had the symbols wearing off of the buttons but I wanted to save the correct cargo cover looking key pad. Surprisingly enough, it appears that GM used the SSR keypad for some of the Saturn ION's Key Fobs with Valeo p/n 10357131. I purchased several replacements from the following Ebay retailer to refurb my key pad. Just a note, I don't think the actual electronics in the Saturn ION fobs are compatible, I was just after the key pad so this replacement case only was perfect for my quest and the right price.

Saturn Ion Key Fob Case

Secondly, I have been looking at the colored replacement fob cases at US Speedo which are really great looking but didn't like the color options for my Super Fast Slingshot O'YLR SSR. Ran across these replacement cases on Ebay and was concerned because the internal setup of the back case in the Ebay pictures was different than my OEM cases. Ordered them anyway and the cases I received were exactly the same as the OEM cases even down to the embossed instructions inside the case. I heated up my steel stamp numbers and melted a corresponding numeral 1 & 2 in the case back then filled in with black plastic paint. I used the key pads out of these colored cases to refurb my '97 Tahoe Fobs.

Yellow Key Fob Case
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0646_sml.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	827.1 KB
ID:	181897   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0649_sml.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	181905  
90 Fatboy and richsadams like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
#118755, DOB 12/2/04, 2005, 6 spd, smokin asphalt, boards, bed carpet, gauges, purchased June, 2013
Garage
Nice research and work...thanks for sharing!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:39 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Smokin Asphalt #16150 BOD 10-6-2004
That's a fobulous find thanks for posting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:25 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
I just bought two of the Yellow ones thanks great find I don't need them now but I will down the road
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Vegas Mob

My SSR:
Slingshot yellow, 6 Speed, 4:56, #119840
Thanks for posting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yellow RULES Las Vegas
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:34 PM
SSR Club Scribe

My SSR:
YESSSR
I need a #1 fob for my 05. When the truck was purchased it came only with #2. What is the most cost effective way to replace it? I know it will be necessary to visit Chevrolet to program the unit but need to work on a replacement first.
John

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTown Truck View Post
I just bought two of the Yellow ones thanks great find I don't need them now but I will down the road
There's a bunch of models, ToonTown . . . which ones did you order?

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 FPR Smokin Asphalt/Rocochet Silver Vin # 1GCES14H86B123533
Garage
Just look for the number on the back of you key fob. Great price on the complete key fob and just the case. I found a red cover and the complete key fobs. If you buy a complete key fob. You will save a lot of $ by having a locksmith program one , than your dealer.
local locksmith charged $35.00. Took about < 10 minutes.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrden View Post
I need a #1 fob for my 05. When the truck was purchased it came only with #2. What is the most cost effective way to replace it? I know it will be necessary to visit Chevrolet to program the unit but need to work on a replacement first.
John
For a replacement fob #1, try searching the Lear number on the back of the fob. Same as Number 2 fob, except ends in a 2 instead of a 3. Saw some on Ebay, but look at keypad if you want SSR style button because they are common to some other GM vehicles.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Administrator

My SSR:
SSR 04 – PEDIGREE SSR Photo History w/ 1st Aux. Gauge Package released for Production. #9684
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Marc NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
For a replacement fob #1, try searching the Lear number on the back of the fob. Same as Number 2 fob, except ends in a 2 instead of a 3. Saw some on Ebay, but look at keypad if you want SSR style button because they are common to some other GM vehicles.
One of the "PLUS" sides of GM sharing part numbers between platforms!
paszewczuk likes this.

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 PM
SSR Club Scribe

My SSR:
YESSSR
Quote:
Gotcha, did so. Thanks again.

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 PM

Not an owner - yet. Looking for the "right" one for me. But educate me please, what is the functional difference between a #1 & #2 FOB? Thank you.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Maybellene 2006 SSR Auto #23699 SMOKIN'ASPHALT/RICOCHET SILVER Build Date: 03/02/2006
I lke the bright color to make it easier to find when I loose it<G>

Mike - mikebike in Surrey BC Canada Licence plate MY SSR
2006 SSR Auto SMOKIN'ASPHALT/RICOCHET SILVER
Build Date: 03/02/2006

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 11:21 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 FPR Smokin Asphalt/Rocochet Silver Vin # 1GCES14H86B123533
Garage
The only difference I know of is. It lets you program the seat position for another driver.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:32 AM
LKMURKY

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
SSR Remote entry transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgssr View Post
The only difference I know of is. It lets you program the seat position for another driver.
My 04 only came with the #2 remote.
Koblear1XT GM/Lear 15184353
I want to purchase a second remote, I am assuming I want the other p/n for the #1 remote. GM/Lear 15184352.
Can someone verify this is correct before I make a purchase?
Thanks
Cary
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 05:37 AM

My SSR:
2004 Black / Flames
Hi All, Has anyone have info on interchangeable GM transmitters key fob that can be used for SSR. Trying to create a flipkey for my SSR.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptucker48 View Post
Hi All, Has anyone have info on interchangeable GM transmitters key fob that can be used for SSR. Trying to create a flipkey for my SSR.
Most likely any remote with the same FCC number that we use on the SSR (KOBLEAR1XT) should be able to work but not 100% sure. Since all fobs need to be programmed or married to the vehicle it would be hard or costly to check the validity of this assumption unless you know someone at the dealer that could try a few at little to no cost to you.

If you just want a flipkey replacement, doesn't purchasing the Autoloc system and adapter solve the issue or is the SSR not on the list of supported vehicles

You could also find a switch/flip case that has the buttons in the same layout and swap your guts into it. Then just find a GM key blank and have it cut.

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 11:18 AM

My SSR:
2003/red
Wouldn't the CANADA number on [A] remote indicate that the inside F.M. sender is the same?????? MY SSR has [canada 3521-102-1718 & most [4] button remotes on ebay have the same number/although the GM part numbers are different.

some here say their # 2 remote ends with 53 while my #1 ends with 52. I WOULD THINK/S/YOU WOULD GET THE RIGHT #1 OR #2 BACK IN THE DAY.

B.M.
JUST found my wife's ssr key #2 and it does say 53......have to believe the Canadian number on the fobs [is] the key to getting the right inside transmitter???????
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 01:55 PM

My SSR:
04 Slingshot, K&N Filter, Shifter linkage kit, Dragon2U's Bling, Spare Tire Kit, WindJammer
SSR Wireless remote found on EBAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
Most likely any remote with the same FCC number that we use on the SSR (KOBLEAR1XT) should be able to work but not 100% sure. Since all fobs need to be programmed or married to the vehicle it would be hard or costly to check the validity of this assumption unless you know someone at the dealer that could try a few at little to no cost to you.

If you just want a flipkey replacement, doesn't purchasing the Autoloc system and adapter solve the issue or is the SSR not on the list of supported vehicles

You could also find a switch/flip case that has the buttons in the same layout and swap your guts into it. Then just find a GM key blank and have it cut.
Mike, Thanks for the info.
Found the Correct item on EBAY with the SSR logo for $25. They still had one left as of two hours ago. After a huge amount of research on the forum and internet, I finally figured out why my seat position keeps defaulting to Driver #2. I have the #2 remote, so every time I open the door with the key transmitter, it was shifting my seat position to that of my very short wife who I programmed as the #2 driver. Was a little crazy making. Now all I have to do is find an automotive locksmith that can reprogram the remote for a reasonable price without having to pay the Chevy Dealer price tag. I sure do miss the yellow pages.
Cary
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:35 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
#1-what is an SSr [logo]? You can de-program your #2 seat position with the steering wheel controls:> Until you get [both] of the remotes set. They have to be done at the same time. You can do up to 4 of them. B.M.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 06:14 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
RIVER RAT:> You started this and cost me money. I bought the correct remote with all of the correct numbers. $25 to my door so it was reasonably priced? I first bought one for the Saturn Ion that has the same pad showing our truck. $8.88 for that one:>and I could only use the pad>>>>>>>> I think my Canada idea is correct using those numbers but they sell for around $12/15 bucks. So I paid another $10 and will not have to play games. All because I have lost a remote/&/key before. They will go in a box as I received both keys and fobs when I bought my R two years ago on the first of March. I am starting on my third year of ownership. The original owner ran it through a dealership and had them do all recommended maintenance before he put the truck up for sale. The only thing I had to do in two years were two oil changes. A good reason to buy a well cared for truck.......Along with my personal bling I have installed a lot of the suggested items on the site............Birdmans
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmans View Post
RIVER RAT:> You started this and cost me money. I bought the correct remote with all of the correct numbers. $25 to my door so it was reasonably priced? I first bought one for the Saturn Ion that has the same pad showing our truck. $8.88 for that one:>and I could only use the pad>>>>>>>> I think my Canada idea is correct using those numbers but they sell for around $12/15 bucks. So I paid another $10 and will not have to play games. All because I have lost a remote/&/key before. They will go in a box as I received both keys and fobs when I bought my R two years ago on the first of March. I am starting on my third year of ownership. The original owner ran it through a dealership and had them do all recommended maintenance before he put the truck up for sale. The only thing I had to do in two years were two oil changes. A good reason to buy a well cared for truck.......Along with my personal bling I have installed a lot of the suggested items on the site............Birdmans
Not sure if you are upset with me or tongue in cheek??? All I was informing fellow fanatics of is that there is a compatible Saturn four button pad to replace the worn out pad on my SSR remote that has the correct TRUCK looking pad for the cargo cover because most 4 button pads show a CAR w/trunk. I was only using the "pad" from that remote, not the actual transmitter and stated such in the original post. Also I was showing the colored cases which I like to easily find my SSR keys versus my Black Tahoe keys. If something lead you to spend money on something else needlessly, I apologize......
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 05:46 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Quote:
Not sure if you are upset with me or tongue in cheek??? All I was informing fellow fanatics of is that there is a compatible Saturn four button pad to replace the worn out pad on my SSR remote that has the correct TRUCK looking pad for the cargo cover because most 4 button pads show a CAR w/trunk. I was only using the "pad" from that remote, not the actual transmitter and stated such in the original post. Also I was showing the colored cases which I like to easily find my SSR keys versus my Black Tahoe keys. If something lead you to spend money on something else needlessly, I apologize......
Well, not sure what Bird is ranting about but I appreciated the link and info in your post. I bought 2 and they worked great and were exactly what I expected and wanted. A correct truck image for the trunk button with no internal parts.

Birdman, the Canada number 3521-102-1718 on a remote should have the same FCC (US) number of KOBLEAR1XT. Canada or US registration system, pick the one you want to refer to for a replacement as I think they are the same circuit boards.

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 07:58 AM

My SSR:
2003/red
tongue in cheek of course........I bought the #1 over a year ago, cheap. Been playing building a #2. The lock smith at the flee market told me they are all the same inside. I was not convinced because of the different Gm part numbers? I now believe/as/stated that the Canadian number is the [key]-answer for us to have working remotes @ a reasonable cost? You stirred my interest back up when you told us that some Ion's had the same [truck] key pad as our SSr's. Like you I didn't want the [car trunk] ICON. i have the correct [PAD] on it's way. No picture of the back on that auction/so/I don't know if the inside is correct? THEN while looking for the correct Canadian numbers on a 4 button remote with the #2 on it,,,,,,,,,,,I found a REAL ssr remote #2 fob.

The problem I see with going forward with my assumption [IS].......We have no way to tell if a used remote we buy is good until we have a dealer or locksmith try to program them. I CAN SEE THEM NOW TELLING ME THEY WON'T PROGRAM BECAUSE THEY ARE THE WRONG PART---[NUMBERS]........I hope someone with a friend who is a locksmith will prove me right or wrong? I have all original keys and fobs and hope the one's just purchased will never be needed.

One man asked what else besides the seat position can be programed with the fobs. I have my #1 fob programed to sound the horn two times when I unlock the passenger door. This way my wife does not pull on the door handle until she hears/two beeps and the door is UN-locked. I believe radio station can also be set.

Birdmans
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
No problem "birdmans". I was hoping I had not sent anyone astray and spending money needlessly. Especially when there are so many goodies one can always use for their R.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:17 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
RAT. AN SSR is like a Harley. H.D. STANDS FOR HUNDRED DOLLARS. The ssr is not far behind Mr. Davidson. My email tells me both fobs have shipped.

Birdmans
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:26 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Maybellene 2006 SSR Auto #23699 SMOKIN'ASPHALT/RICOCHET SILVER Build Date: 03/02/2006
Warning about the Harley proximity sensour
if the battery dies you can't start the bike
easily!

HD now recomends changing it at the begining of the riding season. I now carry a spare<G>

Do our SSR fobs have a battery I should be replacing?

post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:42 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
My new INDIAN is the same way. need to tap in a code. Really not to hate full to do. Should be out riding right now. First good day and I am sitting here......Birdmans
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 03:57 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
I got out on my trike today<VBG>

Had to start and move the SSR to get it out for a ride

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:38 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Thought the following may be of interest.

One of my Key Fobs had the symbols wearing off of the buttons but I wanted to save the correct cargo cover looking key pad. Surprisingly enough, it appears that GM used the SSR keypad for some of the Saturn ION's Key Fobs with Valeo p/n 10357131. I purchased several replacements from the following Ebay retailer to refurb my key pad. Just a note, I don't think the actual electronics in the Saturn ION fobs are compatible, I was just after the key pad so this replacement case only was perfect for my quest and the right price. <snip>
Dredging up an old thread that really helped!

The buttons on one of the key fobs that I received with our new-to-us-R were pretty worn down with the images starting to disappear. I went searching for replacements and found some for the SSR that either had an automobile image on the trunk release button or were über expensive if they had the truck image for the release. Brand new ones that would have to be programmed by a locksmith or the dealer were even more.

Then I stumbled across river_rat's post! Although the links didn't work - over five years old, didn't expect them to - I was able to use the Valeo p/n 10357131 to track down some used fobs on eBay. Apparently, as river_rat mentioned, they used the same truck image for the trunk release button on Saturn Ions.

A used one I found was in darn-near new condition for just $16 and change including shipping so I snapped it up. (There are others there as well, some very nice for more and some not so nice for... more and a little less).

Since the electronics are working fine in my fob I'll either pull my fob's "innards" and slip them into the new fob, or maybe just swap out the buttons since my fob has the #1 on the back... or maybe a hybrid of the two.

In any case, great info river_rat, thanks!

This site is a national treasure.

Eventually I'd like to make the transition to a flip/blade key to cut down on bulk, but that's for another time.
hondaconvert likes this.

Cheers,

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in