Chevy SSR Forum banner

Odd sound...

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  MarkCardnella 
#1 ·
I have now been the proud owner of a 2005 Aqua Blur Chevy R for about a month now. I have noticed when I put the vehicle in gear (reverse or drive) and hit the gas, I hear a "ticking" or "tinging" sound that sounds like it is coming from under the vehicle. Any ideas as to what this sound is? :blur:

#6 ·
Could this age old problem be sooo easily solved?
My 'ting' continues to be worrisome and I've read all the posts....everything from the Reinhart driveshaft to 'just turn up the radio volume', but it doesn't appear a lasting solution has yet been discovered. Any new thoughts or ideas?
I'm going to try this one too, but honestly a quick squirt of WD 40 seems way too good to be true.

#7 ·
In the old days I had a shop in California and guys would come in with stick shift vehicles that had that same ping or ting sound when they took off sometimes. We determined it was the splines on the driveshaft where it slips into the transmission made this sound due to it sliding in and out because the suspension would flex after stopping and again when taking off. The way we fixed it was to remove the drive shaft and apply grease to the splines and put it back on and WOW it was fixed. Didn't hurt anything just annoying. Good luck.

#8 ·
Mark....it's a "product of the beast" type of thing. it is the aluminum. you can buy a steel driveshaft and the "Dreaded Tink" will go away, or, you can Embrace it as your own sound. if it pizzez ya off, spend the money for a steel one.
Purple Hawk had one replaced to steel, under warranty due to a "triple tink" in front of the Regional Rep from GM. in the early years, it used to be humorous (as we all knew it existed) to hear all the trucks fire up for a rally and hear All of Them "Tink" all at once.... the Tink is known to be normal and Not a recall item.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.