LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Dano, you are now the Fanatics Official Panhandle Region Radiator Expert.
You're now entitled to get a FOPRRE tattoo, or have it embroidered on your underwear.

Seriously though, you're to be commended for remaining calm and polite when most of us thought you were mistaken or nuts.
You provided proof of your assertions, and proved many of us wrong, in a polite manner. Thank you.

It's funny because I was the one who came up with the idea of holding the top firmly in place while changing the support by tieing up the hoses.
But I still didn't get it through my thick head until I had made the assertion in a post it would drop, and Mike in AZ corrected me saying the hoses would keep it from dropping all the way.
Remember me when you pass a school zone and see a sign saying Slow Child.
Hey no problem, as far as staying calm through this. I've learned through the several auto forums I'm in that it's all a matter of opinion and life experience that folks share, and I've been a mechanic for over 50 years, and I'm too old and don't really want to put any pressure on my old ticker.

It was purely by chance that I discovered the support missing. I was cruising the forum and read about the Air Dam and thought to myself (I didn't notice one on my SSR), so I looked under the front and saw that everything was gone. So I immediately ordered replacement parts. I did take every thing apart in anticipation of the arrival of the new parts. When I did, I learned that the only things holding the radiator up is the tranny cooling lines and the upper radiator hose support above and behind the radiator. But now I have a bottle jack holding everything in place. It just sucks cause I'm not enjoying my ride cause it's laid up.
nj6969 and Stlhotrod like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Silver
Well after removing things in prep for the new lower support this is a picture of all that remained of the original support. So the PO had to have known the support was broken because these pieces are what is left on the drivers side. Both of these pieces as well as the mounting bolts are missing on the passenger side so someone had to remove them.

On a side note, several have mentioned that I should have the alignment checked after installing the new support. But with the "X" member in tact, and my many years of experience working on cars, I find it hard to swallow that this cheap plastic lower radiator mount could add or subtract to the rigidity of the front end or have an effect on the alignment. However, I could be wrong...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rad support.png
Views:	2
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	549717  
Autoprof, VI Ken and Stlhotrod like this.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:08 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Well after removing things in prep for the new lower support this is a picture of all that remained of the original support. So the PO had to have known the support was broken because these pieces are what is left on the drivers side. Both of these pieces as well as the mounting bolts are missing on the passenger side so someone had to remove them.

On a side note, several have mentioned that I should have the alignment checked after installing the new support. But with the "X" member in tact, and my many years of experience working on cars, I find it hard to swallow that this cheap plastic lower radiator mount could add or subtract to the rigidity of the front end or have an effect on the alignment. However, I could be wrong...lol
After changing out several of the plastic supports for steel units I would say that if the new one does not just slide into place then something has changed and the alignment may be off as a result. Just my gut feeling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
After changing out several of the plastic supports for steel units I would say that if the new one does not just slide into place then something has changed and the alignment may be off as a result. Just my gut feeling.
Yeah I have to agree, we'll find out when my parts get here. I'll keep everyone posted.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:49 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
I honestly don’t think that cross brace will change the alignment, however we have learned through accumulated experience the GM specified alignment will tear up front tires pretty fast. Worse, it’s insidious in that the front tires look fine then suddenly they show cord on the inside edge of the tread.
I’d strongly recommend when you get your shlt together have the alignment set to “Fanatic Spec” which is ;

Caster 4.25 +/- 0.5 Set to max and equal both sides
Cross Caster 0.0 +/- 0.3
Camber -0.5 +/- 0.5
(CHANGE CAMBER TO ZERO (0)
Toe +0.1 +/- 0.2
(CHANGE TOE TO ZERO (0)

Change Camber and Toe to 0 to eliminate inner scuffing.
Wheel lug nut torque 110 lbs MAXIMUM.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I honestly don’t think that cross brace will change the alignment, however we have learned through accumulated experience the GM specified alignment will tear up front tires pretty fast. Worse, it’s insidious in that the front tires look fine then suddenly they show cord on the inside edge of the tread.
I’d strongly recommend when you get your shlt together have the alignment set to “Fanatic Spec” which is ;

Caster 4.25 +/- 0.5 Set to max and equal both sides
Cross Caster 0.0 +/- 0.3
Camber -0.5 +/- 0.5
(CHANGE CAMBER TO ZERO (0)
Toe +0.1 +/- 0.2
(CHANGE TOE TO ZERO (0)

Change Camber and Toe to 0 to eliminate inner scuffing.
Wheel lug nut torque 110 lbs MAXIMUM.
Yeah I did read that the factory alignment specs don't agree with the tires. I've downloaded the recommended specs that are posted here on this site. I will be having my alignment done accordingly.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:04 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
dano,

Your right! OEM plastic support didn't add much, if anything, to front frame stability but factory alignment was to protect the Plastic radiator support.

Camber IN and Toe IN to "squeeze" the plastic support.

So alignment with or without radiator support, as xoxoxBruce says, "drags tire down the road".

IF you want 40K out of your tires, you need to change factory alignment to alignment we suggest. And if your tire shop says they can't do that, take it another tire shop.

Dicktator
BlueStreak likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatg450 View Post
Danny, the radiator support is on the way, USPS Tracking # 9505 5132 8526 9158 3668 72, Expected Del. Mon. 06/10/10. No charge on the shipping, Enjoy the Truck! Click this link
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5 scroll down to Radiator Support Install for step by step instructions with pictures. After installation bow toward Clearwater, FL

Jack
Jack, I got the support today. Man your a lifesaver. Thanks to your generosity I'm back behind the wheel of my baby. Your a good man Jack (no matter what anyone says...LOL) Although we've never met, your a good friend too. This support will serve me well till my steel one gets here, and then I'll pass it along to the next person who needs it.

Aloha,
Dano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in