• 1 Post By yellow bear
  • 1 Post By James Dean
  • 2 Post By Dicktator
  • 2 Post By Mike in AZ
  • 2 Post By Lady in Red

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Over heating

Went out for Drive was good for first 20 miles then started running around 240 to 250. Was only around 70 degrees out. Just had all fluids flushed including the quad. Fan is working did not run air today. Just wondering if it was issues with thermostat not opening and closing correctly Any other thoughts. Thank you. Was great to be out top down in sunny az.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:12 PM

My SSR:
2006 SSR 6 speed FPR Ricochet Silver over Smokin Asphalt 3SS Chrome pkg.
Garage
So the way you describe it if the thermostat wasn't changed then I wouldn't be suspicious of that right away. Did you check the bottle? is it filled to the correct level? You said including the Quad, I'm not familiar with that term. Did you have the fluids changed because of an overheating issue?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:16 PM
Ex SoCal Nut
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
Did you have the steppers changed out in your gauge cluster already? Did you lose any coolant ? When did the temp start reading cooler than 250 ? Were you moving above 35mph or in Town Traffic ? Were your previous problems corrected before this happened ?
James Dean likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:23 PM
ONE OWNER !!!!

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow bear View Post
Did you have the steppers changed out in your gauge cluster already? Did you lose any coolant ? When did the temp start reading cooler than 250 ? Were you moving above 35mph or in Town Traffic ? Were your previous problems corrected before this happened ?
If you did not get your gauge cluster repaired you have no idea what the temperature is, if you got that repaired you might have air in your coolant system?
yellow bear likes this.

Jim & Sherrie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
James Dean & Misstadoo
"Blessings can be big or small, but be sure to count them all”
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
Went out for Drive was good for first 20 miles then started running around 240 to 250. Was only around 70 degrees out. Just had all fluids flushed including the quad. Fan is working did not run air today. Just wondering if it was issues with thermostat not opening and closing correctly Any other thoughts. Thank you. Was great to be out top down in sunny az.
Do some reading on SSR How to Library:

Over heat is because emissions standards by the Fed's set fan temps to high and Dealer can not change them by law. Need Corvette Tune shop to lower LOW ON/ HIGH ON settings.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 04:25 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
You are correct Dicktator ... Joe Delano tuned mine to come on at 196 at the 2015 International Rally, no problems since ... temp gauge stays at 210 now !!! t-dog
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
At what speed was the temp running 240-250? Above 35 or below 35? If the problem is above 35, it is an issue in the coolant loop (like t-stat or coolant level). If it is below 35, it is an airflow (like cooling fan or electrical connector) issue.

Send me a text or give me a call today. We can get this diagnosed. 480-225-2123

Mike
tennesseecozydog and SSReplay like this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 02:24 PM

My SSR:
2004 Chevrolet SSR
Garage
Check for air in coolant. The air heater hose on throttle body needs to be purged. I eliminated it. Cooler air going into engine. If in traffic with high humidity & or lack of air movement? Turn on A/C on fan on low or high if hot air temp. Make sure the snow flake is on. No cooling if snow flake is not on. Do as I did. Purge system by leaving cap off coolant tank & squeeze upper radiator hose. The coolant will purge air & need to top off over flow. I did one better. I bought a Tuner & installed a 87 octane tune. Fans come on much sooner & keep everything cool. Also check all grounds for electric. The ground on frame at Battery corrodes from debris dirt & moisture. Need to clean it up. ABS Ground too. Have you flushed your cooling system in last year? Used correct antifreeze & coolant? The orange Dexcool is recommended. But? It still corrodes due to Aluminum engine & radiator. One more thing. The relays & connector of Fan to relays electrical wiring harness gets wet & shorts out. Mine melted for some reason. replaced the connector at fan. Not hard to check it is right on shroud engine side
Autoprof and RedHotSSR like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...ue&app=WordPdf

Dicktator

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 03:27 PM
High Plains Roadster
Supporting Member

My SSR:
A fabulous 2005 ricochet silver model with an automatic purchased in September 2017.
Garage
Hmmm …. didn't know you could change the turn on temp for the fan.

How can this be done?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:14 PM
ONE OWNER !!!!

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA View Post
Hmmm …. didn't know you could change the turn on temp for the fan.

How can this be done?
Someone that does custom or performance tunes. I'm not sure if the handheld tuners can change the temp on off or not ?

Jim & Sherrie

James Dean & Misstadoo
"Blessings can be big or small, but be sure to count them all”
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 07:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Make sure the coolant reservoir cap is tight. If its not tight or leaking, the the system will not be pressurized and cause overheating. If you have the original cap it would be advised to get a replacement from Simple Engineering anyway as the seal is not expected to last 15 years.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in