LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'04 red
Garage
Put in new radiator fan.

I just put in my new fan. It was pretty easy.
I had the truck up on ramps(when ....be safe -disclaimer) and I took it out through the bottom rather than the top. Put the one from Mike in the same way.
Looks like a really good fan.

Also thanks to Dictator's library, it was much easier. Mine is a 2004 and it has two bolts holding it in. Unlike the earlier models or the '05 and '06. It just so happens, that the pictures in the DIY images were just like mine.

This is a great site. I often find it very useful --- and sometimes a good way to kill a little time.
tennesseecozydog likes this.

Always check relays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacker View Post
I just put in my new fan. It was pretty easy.
I had the truck up on ramps(when ....be safe -disclaimer) and I took it out through the bottom rather than the top. Put the one from Mike in the same way.
While I recognize that there is always more than one way to do anything, I have to step in and offer some clarification and some reasoning.

I do NOT recommend installing the Direct Replacement Main Fan from the bottom. I have written the instructions for replacement from the top only. In order to get the fan to easily seat onto the radiator and drop properly into the mounts, the upper radiator support needs to be removed.

I’m certain that the fans rubber seal and aluminum brackets can be forced to comply with the install and mount onto the radiator, but installing the fan with the air cleaner in place really restricts your ability to see that the fan is properly seated on all four mounting points. Installing the fan without removing the upper radiator support has been very problematic in past years, as the upper radiator support holds the fan in place and prevents it from coming out of the clips on the radiator. It’s very difficult to put the fan under the edge of the support without having the support removed.

Please accept my apology for speaking out this way, but I must continue to strongly recommend that installers follow the instructions included with every fan. This is the only way that I can be assured that the fan will be securely installed...

My very best regards,

Mike
Mr. Bill and sillypuddy like this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'04 red
Garage
Mike, I agree with you. I don't see how it would be any easier(less things to undo I guess) if the air cleaner is not removed.
I did remove the radiator support and the air cleaner.
When it came time to "walk it out past transmissions lines and radiator hoses" I just lowered it out. When putting the new one in I pulled it up past the brackets and then slid it down into them.
As mentioned, my version of original install had two bolts. I put the bolts back, they hold the tab on the fan securely against the mount.
So I was sure my fine was mounted properly and secured.

I have several parts from Simple Engineering and have been very pleased with the quality and instructions. This way worked for me, but I know Mike has spent time determining which way would be the best and most foolproof method of installation for people that purchase his product.

I appreciate Mikes dedication to help keep our trucks running and to improve them.
My post is out there and can't be "unsaid".

I would suggest you follow the instructions that come with the fan

Mike, no offense taken. I would hate for someone to misinterpret my post and incorrectly install their fan. And thanks again for making a quality product.

Always check relays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:05 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacker View Post
Mike, I agree with you. I don't see how it would be any easier(less things to undo I guess) if the air cleaner is not removed.
I did remove the radiator support and the air cleaner.
When it came time to "walk it out past transmissions lines and radiator hoses" I just lowered it out. When putting the new one in I pulled it up past the brackets and then slid it down into them.
As mentioned, my version of original install had two bolts. I put the bolts back, they hold the tab on the fan securely against the mount.
So I was sure my fine was mounted properly and secured.

I have several parts from Simple Engineering and have been very pleased with the quality and instructions. This way worked for me, but I know Mike has spent time determining which way would be the best and most foolproof method of installation for people that purchase his product.

I appreciate Mikes dedication to help keep our trucks running and to improve them.
My post is out there and can't be "unsaid".

I would suggest you follow the instructions that come with the fan

Mike, no offense taken. I would hate for someone to misinterpret my post and incorrectly install their fan. And thanks again for making a quality product.
Thanks for the explanation. It's now clear to me that you followed the instructions by removing the air cleaner and upper support. With that consideration, your choice for installing from below is fine.

I have had a couple customers do the install from below without removing the air cleaner and upper support. The worst case result was found when an owner bent the mounting brackets all out of shape (because he couldn't get it to mount the way he thought it should) and had his fan come off the back of the radiator. It didn't go all the way to the pavement, so we were able to fix it with a new set of brackets and a fresh set of installation instructions.

We've been together on stuff for years and this is no exception. Thanks again for the clarification. No need to "un-say" it. This gave me a good opportunity to comment on following directions. Most of us guys (especially the engineer types) don't read the directions until we are done.... ya-hahaha

Have a great weekend,

Mike

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:24 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Silver over Black
Garage
What's the deal with all the radiator fan replacement? I see that on a regular basis. Are they just failing due to age or are some having an overheating problem and just upgrading to a better fan. My 2006 always has the temp gauge straight up.
Just curious...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'04 red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch06 View Post
What's the deal with all the radiator fan replacement? I see that on a regular basis. Are they just failing due to age or are some having an overheating problem and just upgrading to a better fan. My 2006 always has the temp gauge straight up.
Just curious...
My understanding is they will fail, very many have and as you stated
" just failing due to age or are some having an overheating problem and just upgrading to a better fan."

Always check relays
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:01 AM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
The OEM fans were basically junk to begin with Mike's fan is well built and does a hell of a better job. Cost for an OEM fan is more then Mike's to begin with sooner or later yours will break down. Remember these trucks were only made for about 4 years so most of the problems were never addressed or upgraded properly because of the limited production., from what I have heard others say that the last of the 06's were completed with leftover parts from the 03's -05's.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:55 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
Just curious...
The bell shaped curve of failure distribution is centered at about 35,000 miles. The bulk of the failures are between 30,000 and 45,000 miles. Some have lasted almost 100,000 miles and others have failed at 5,000 miles.

The OEM fan has some drawbacks. The most significant is the replacement cost. Current list price for the 15816298 cooling fan is about $1240. You can find some on line for about $550. Buying another one of the same part number does not change the life expectancy of the OEM fan......

My two cents,

Mike
SSReplay likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:28 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Mike's fan moves more air, using less electricity, for less money, and is reliable.
This is what's commonly called a "no brainer".
Mr. Bill, LarryG and 04 PurpleHaze like this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:42 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Silver over Black
Garage
Thanks for the info. Mine has 41k miles ...so guess I better save up for one to have on hand!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 12:23 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Mine has 41k miles ...so guess I better save up for one to have on hand!
Or just order one now and put it in and keep the OEM to rescue the guy who has a failure in your neighborhood because he did not know better or had his replacement sitting on the shelf at home.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 12:27 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
The old saying "you can pay me now or you can pay me later" better to get er done now then sitting on the side of the road someplace overheating and maybe causing more damage to your truck.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:04 PM

My SSR:
2004 Red SSR
How can I order this Fan from Mike.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'04 red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949Charleston View Post

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/...c?categoryId=3

Always check relays
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:27 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949Charleston View Post
You live near one of our best Tech Fanatics in Florida.

Florida Ambassador Tom Sorensen aka Soren703. Lives in Winter Springs, Fl.

I have four (4) New Fans in stock, just came in from Mike aka https://shop.simple-engineering.com/...?categoryId=11

I may be in Orlando tomorrow or Monday. Let me know if you want a REAL SSR FAN

Having Hands on Tech Day on Oct. 20 in Deltona.

Dicktator

email: [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in