• 14 Post By highrider27
  • 1 Post By highrider27
  • 1 Post By Auggie Doggie
  • 10 Post By RedHotSSR
  • 1 Post By xoxoxoBruce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Question on AfterMarket

Does anybody know why General Motors hasn't issued the rights to a Third party company to manufacture and sell parts for the SSR , Kinda like LMC is a supplier for almost anything on older GM trucks?

I know that the volume of SSRs produced was relatively low, but seriously, how many 65-95 GM pickups are still on the road, I would guess not any more than the amount of still active SSRs .

Considering the SSR is an interesting vehicle, and I assume down the road a valuable collectible, some of the cheap parts GM used ( to fail) need / should be addressed especially components that are critical ie door mechanisms and roof mechanisms. I know all can be still addressed , but I don't see why the "free market" isn't getting involved? Is it a licensing issue?

Something should be done.

I am going to write both GM and LMC and see what answer I get.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:20 PM
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
GM charges big bucks for the rights to make replacement parts so there has to be a large potential market to make the investment in rights and tooling.
I think you'll find the number of Chevy/GMC trucks in the '65 to '95 range that are still in use is by far greater than the total of SSRs ever made.

aside: Sadly, the tri-five Chevy body parts coming from China are far superior the the ones made here.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:46 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Cost and Profit. GM probably wants too much for the licensing, and the profit is not there for a company like LMC. I also would bet the numbers of the various truck groups from GM out number the SSR. Look at any car show you go to and see how many 48-55 55-59 67-72 73-90something trucks there are at a show. Plus many times these parts also fit the GMC and Chevy truck. Many times they make parts that cross over a larger group of trucks or cars before they will make an aftermarket part for it.
Some of the parts like door latches would probably be something someone like Dorman would be more likely to build because they already have some of the parts being made for similar models. But unless they see a need they probably don't think anything about them.

What would probably make the most impact was if there was a list of parts that are known to wear out and no replacements like the door latches, RDM modules and make contact with someone like Dorman or other companies that make replacement parts and see what they can do. They already have workings with GM so they know the ins and outs and some things they make a part similar that they could revamp to make it work for the SSR.
highrider27 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

If they were to act responsibly ( I know) by selling the rights, GM wouldn't have to do any tooling, it would all be done a Offshore!

The same question could also be about the Cadillac XLR and the Hummer.

Harley Davidson was a stickler for this same issue the same way for decades, but recently ( last 10 years) parts are becoming available for older vintage models from offshore companies.

It would also be an interesting legal basis question to have answered.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:12 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
I don't remember who it was. But someone ask Steele Rubber about making door and body weather stripping and they were told the engineering, tool and die set, and making prototype for the small amount of resale wasn't worth it. Plus the liability.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 AM

This is also a good answer for the same question of parts being made for the 1941-46 Chevy and GMC trucks which have a good following, but how many survived the longer term use during WWII? Followed by an explosion of Advanced Design trucks made after the war. When looking for old Chevy parts the cut-off date is 1947 unless the part number is an overlap with the earlier truck.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Well, I wrote to Brian Sweeny VP of Chevrolet to ask about support for the 20k or so SSRs still on the road. I got a call Friday from GM Executive Office in Detroit,, where I restated the fact that there needs to be a way for these cars to be supplied with parts , either from GM or source it out to a Third Party Vendor.

I explained the issue many are having with the inside door releases and also pointed out for somebody to look at "This" website for further clarification on the issues facing these trucks.

I was told that they will look into it and get back to me.

I reiterated that Many including me are loyal GM repeat customers and a genuine review by management would be appreciated by the 20k SSR owners out there. Hopefully they 'farm" it out to LMC or Ecklers

We'll see what I hear next.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

GM Reply

Well, I got a not so friendly return call , with a "Customer Support Person" telling me the case was closed and there'd be no further communication on the issue. I asked if the addressee to whom I sent the letter had input to this response ( Mr Brian Sweeny) and I was told my letter did not make it to him as it was culled out at the Customer Service Executive Level.

Upon trying to further understand the knock down the lady became extremely rude, repeated everything again, when I asked for her supervisor, she was well, shall we say plain arrogant and said she was terminating the call.

I was on the road and had pulled over to listen in my new corvette contemplating what had just taken place, when this dumb smuck called back and repeated everything again and asked if I understood?

Needless to say you guys warned me, and in all my years of major construction, when I sent correspondence to a VP or Director, 99% of the time they got back to me.
It is clear that the management at General Motors isn't a class outfit.

It's to bad I like their products, but the Barra Circle stinks!

Boy that was smarts!
Hollister SSR likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:25 AM

In my small car collection I own a 1965 Corvair. One of the main reasons I bought it was the availability of parts. Clark's Corvair sells just about any part you may need. I completely rebuilt the running gear with all new parts several years ago and I am getting ready to replace the seat covers with new exact match covers. I also own a 1951 advance design pu that has been completely restored, again just about any part is readily available. Maybe if they get enough complaints about the R parts they may change their mind
but it is probably a long shot because of the low volume.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180618_143026_01_1556886126943.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	546789   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040265-2_1556886168635.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	546791  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcssr2 View Post
In my small car collection I own a 1965 Corvair. One of the main reasons I bought it was the availability of parts. Clark's Corvair sells just about any part you may need. I completely rebuilt the running gear with all new parts several years ago and I am getting ready to replace the seat covers with new exact match covers. I also own a 1951 advance design pu that has been completely restored, again just about any part is readily available. Maybe if they get enough complaints about the R parts they may change their mind
but it is probably a long shot because of the low volume.
Maybe we could put some pressure on them through the insurance folks, body shops and financial institutions. Right now all of those folks are taking the hit because if you have a small fender bender they have to total the SSR because of no parts available. They might listen to folks that have and control the MONEY! It is obvious they aren't listening to the 20,000 owners. Just a thought.
highrider27 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:11 PM
RedHotSSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Redline 2004 Purchased 2011 41,000 mi.
Thumbs up Many Thanks.

Given the limited resources many R owners have in their home towns to assist them when a problem arises with their R, aren't we ALL fortunate to have the Forum, Dictator, Simple Engineering and the family members of the forum to support the members / owners. GM Walked away from the R and they must be VERY happy the majority of owners didn't find the many electrical, mechanical issues until their factory warranties had expired.
New and prospective owners should make it a priority to read the How To library that Dictator has spent countless hours creating to assist with repairs. Thanks Dick for all you have done for the R family.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:56 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
03 Slingshot #2924
How soon theyíve forgotten that just a dozen or so years ago the GM stock share value had dropped below the price of a spark plug. Personally, I completely understand the need for them to say no. What I donít get is the way in which they did it. That arrogance will certainly affect my choice the next time Iím looking for a vehicle. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 with 55K miles. A few months ago the horn relay failed. Unfortunately the horn relay is integral with the fuse box and the entire box had to be replaced. $600. This week the horn stopped working again. I think Iím done with those guys.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:20 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
I can see why GM wouldn't want to be involved as there is no money in it with only 20,000 potential customers but I can't figure out why some after market place hasn't worked out a deal with them to step in. Maybe the SSR's aren't old enough and valuable enough yet to make it worth their while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Still only 20,000 prospective market, that's pretty small against the cost of tooling up. I could see maybe the front fenders and both fascias paying off but not much more.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:25 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
It's all about the $.
There may be less than 20K SSRs alive but not all of them will need parts, so the market is probably is the 100's per year for any particular part like bumpers, fenders, windshields, door latches etc. That's not enough to justify the insane cost of design set up and tooling for a major player in the aftermarket business. I found this out trying to find a reasonable way to make the molded mud guards, The set up and tooling cost to make the blow mold was over $10K and I needed to order 500 units (and that was from China). I'd be into it for well over $30K and be lucky if I could sell 100 sets. That's a non Starter.
The tooling and die costs for larger items like body panels and bumpers and complicated assemblies like door latches, would be much much more. We will have to rely on our SSR community like Mike Moro, Dicktator and many others making small batches of parts and repairing old ones to support our vehicles.
Plymouth Prowler owners are in the same boat as FCA is no longer supporting those 11,000+ vehicles. FCA issued a recall many years ago on the Prowlers defective steering lower a-arm ball joints. The replacements have been depleted and are no longer available making those affected undrivable. Same problem....no interest from the manufacturer or aftermarket.
Greg

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:43 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Yes, it's about the dollars.
A few years back I wanted El Camino door seals, so I asked the Chevy parts guy if they were available and he said yes. About $200 for the two top and two bottom seals.
OK, some I put it off for 6 or 8 months and went back to order 2 sets(2 trucks, 4 doors). He said nope, sold to Original Parts Group, have to order from them. OK, I expected to pay a little more but not close to $1100.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in