LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
RED SLED
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2003 SSR Redline Red
Garage
Race ramps are the bomb!

I ordered a set of these ramps called race ramps so that I could shimmy underneath the bottom of the SSR to work on it and service it. Makes it pretty slick and easy. They are super light.

https://raceramps.com

Livin, Large in Arizona where the summer never stops 😎
Selling sunshine, smiles and homes.
No one is a stranger here, just new friends you havenít met yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:46 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2NAZ View Post
I ordered a set of these ramps called race ramps so that I could shimmy underneath the bottom of the SSR to work on it and service it. Makes it pretty slick and easy. They are super light.

https://raceramps.com
Which set did you select?? Just had to pull out the old hydraulic floor jack and a safety jack stand to raise the front end on mine to fix an intermittent loose wire to my "angel" lights around the fogs.

Pain in the azz to do all that just to get the lowered R high enough to get under it. Years ago, I had an old set of steel ramps..........long gone now.

These look like the deal.......Have you tried them out yet?
S2NAZ likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:18 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt (Canadian specifications)
Garage
Bought 4 Race Ramp units about 3 years ago. Used them for undercarriage work on our 1956 T'bird. Much more comfortable working with car up on raised Race Ramps rather than perched on jack stands.

Lightweight and easy to use. Two thumbs up!!

Ken, Vancouver Island
S2NAZ likes this.

Ken
Vancouver Island, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
RED SLED

My SSR:
2003 SSR Redline Red
Garage
Here are what I ordered
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 1.25.52 PM.png
Views:	145
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	508042  

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
RED SLED

My SSR:
2003 SSR Redline Red
Garage
This is what they do...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6453.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	508050  

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:05 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 Redline Red FPR
Love mine...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16F4457F-7891-4BFE-8AFC-A3BE271DC8E0_1525125858109.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	508058  
Jersey red and S2NAZ like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:22 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbsssr View Post
Love mine...
I'm in for getting a pair of these........A little (stunned) at the price point shown for the long set.

I suppose that longer ramp up gets the whole front end higher than the later post shows

As long as I can get on my creeper and get under it front/back and maneuver, that is all I need.
S2NAZ likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
RED SLED

My SSR:
2003 SSR Redline Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post
I'm in for getting a pair of these........A little (stunned) at the price point shown for the long set.

I suppose that longer ramp up gets the whole front end higher than the later post shows

As long as I can get on my creeper and get under it front/back and maneuver, that is all I need.
You got that right. I love the longer ramps. The height is perfect. SO easy to Change the oil!

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
I have used Rhino ramps for years with all my cars and I have to agree, plastic ramps are very light, handy and a great addition to the garage.

A few thoughts if I may......
The current Rhinos are rated at GVW of 12,000 pounds.
The Race Ramps 1500 pounds each.

So if you use 2 Race Ramps you are theoretically covered for 3000 pounds. Our trucks are in at 5000 with 52% of the weight being over the front end. Doesn't leave too much extra room IMHO. If you use the Race Ramps, you might want to place a jack stand under the truck just to be safe. I do this often with the Rhino ramps I use.

The Rhino Ramps are around $40 and I have no issues getting on or off them with the R or any other vehicle I have. The R tires are a little fatter than the ramps but that is no biggie as long as you are centered.

Just some things to think about..... there are many alternatives in the market depending on what and how you intend to use them.
S2NAZ likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
RED SLED

My SSR:
2003 SSR Redline Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
I have used Rhino ramps for years with all my cars and I have to agree, plastic ramps are very light, handy and a great addition to the garage.

So if you use 2 Race Ramps you are theoretically covered for 3000 pounds. Our trucks are in at 5000 with 52% of the weight being over the front end. Doesn't leave too much extra room IMHO. If you use the Race Ramps, you might want to place a jack stand under the truck just to be safe. I do this often with the Rhino ramps I use.

The Rhino Ramps are around $40 and I have no issues getting on or off them with the R or any other vehicle I have. The R tires are a little fatter than the ramps but that is no biggie as long as you are centered.

Just some things to think about..... there are many alternatives in the market depending on what and how you intend to use them.
I understand completely the concern about weight because I had the same thought before I bought them. My final thought was that the truck is not completely load bearing on the front wheels with a full 2500 lbs given the angle when parked on the ramps. They work so amazingly well and break down super easy to store. Love them!

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:21 PM

My SSR:
Red 2005 with 1SB package, chrome wheels, gauge pkg and carpeted bed.
Rhino Ramps for me too. Mine are shorter than the Race Ramps, so it takes a little more oomph to get up them but not too much so you don't go over the edge (hasn't happened yet!).

Don't recall the price, but I don't think they were that expensive.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:52 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
How do you keep them from sliding on the concrete floor when putting the front wheels up? Last time I used metal ramps I had to use lumber against the foot plate of the garage to hold the ramps in place, or they just slid across the floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 06:57 PM
Ms Donna's Driver
Supporting Member

Location: beside the tracks of the "Wabash Cannonball" along the banks of the "Wabash River" Indiana

My SSR:
'04 Ricochet Silver and then along came. SINISTER
I like the built in wheel chocks at the top end of the ramps

EVERY MILE IS MAGIC

I used to be indecisive
But now I'm just not sure
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet ... Corvette servo, hood struts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
How do you keep them from sliding on the concrete floor when putting the front wheels up? Last time I used metal ramps I had to use lumber against the foot plate of the garage to hold the ramps in place, or they just slid across the floor.
Thatís why I bought rubber ramps, made from recycled tires!
Well now I use the lift!!
nj6969 likes this.

Rob & Tracie
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:12 PM
My First Permagrin !

My SSR:
05 #18193 chrome wheels ,carpet kit , boards , gauge pack , sc tuner and a ton of mikes stuff
Garage
Hi everyone ,
I went with a $30 harbor freight set , says it can hold 4000 lbs each .
6.5 inch lift just enough for me and the creeper . It works for me . Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	508066  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 09:15 PM

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue #332 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Rhino Ramps have a rubber block at the beginning of the ramp to keep it from sliding. I have had mine for over 15 years now and they show a little wear now. Should last another 15 years or more.
S2NAZ likes this.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:

I Agree with Dragon on this one. I have Race Ramps that I use for my Corvette and Rhino ramps that I use for other vehicles. Race Ramps ARE available with a higher weight rating which I would do if I had to do it over again and the extra cost for the higher weight rating is quite reasonable.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 11:35 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Maybe not so safe

I googled car ramps and then went to a site that had (reviewed) several brands and had a list.

At the top of the list was the Rhino ramp MAX rated at 16,000 GVW. Reasonable price, but then I decided to look at the "customer reviews".

Check out the first two replies and you may just have second thoughts as to just how safe these plastic ramps...........are or are NOT.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 12:22 PM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
Holy smokes!! Those race ramps are crazy money!

I gave up using ramps a long time ago. I've got a set of old metal ones I'd gladly give away. A hydraulic jack and jack stands works just fine for me.
Auggie Doggie and S2NAZ like this.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
RED SLED

My SSR:
2003 SSR Redline Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG Tim View Post
Rhino Ramps for me too. Mine are shorter than the Race Ramps, so it takes a little more oomph to get up them but not too much so you don't go over the edge (hasn't happened yet!).

Don't recall the price, but I don't think they were that expensive.
I've never had then slip, but I do have epoxy floors.

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
RED SLED

My SSR:
2003 SSR Redline Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzr View Post
Holy smokes!! Those race ramps are crazy money!

I gave up using ramps a long time ago. I've got a set of old metal ones I'd gladly give away. A hydraulic jack and jack stands works just fine for me.

What ever works for ya'!

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:

Dragon....I was kinda hoping you might have some thoughts on my prior post regarding my findings on Amazon.

You questioned the capacity of the Race Ramps and that you were using the Rhino ones. All made sense to me especially the price differential.........but the negative comments that I referenced where users had those Rhino ramps come apart......leaves me in serious doubt.

Don't wanna spend the $$ for the Race Ramps, but don't wanna go with the Rhinos if they might fail. Guess I could go that way and pull a couple of jack stands under too for that "just in case" scenario.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Quote:

Dragon....I was kinda hoping you might have some thoughts on my prior post regarding my findings on Amazon.

You questioned the capacity of the Race Ramps and that you were using the Rhino ones. All made sense to me especially the price differential.........but the negative comments that I referenced where users had those Rhino ramps come apart......leaves me in serious doubt.

Don't wanna spend the $$ for the Race Ramps, but don't wanna go with the Rhinos if they might fail. Guess I could go that way and pull a couple of jack stands under too for that "just in case" scenario.

Well, here is my take on it for what is worth.....

Rhino ramps are less expensive and probably sell a huge number more than Race Ramps. Due to the high usage numbers and low cost, there are probably more people abusing them than the higher priced ones. The people that purchase a $400 ramp will take more care with ownership and will not get the same abuse and feedback. If you are not centered on the ramp you could have issues, storage could be a problem, going too far over the edge, turning wheel while on top, etc... But, with all things manufactured out of a plastic resin, there are issues that could arise. Always inspect them before use, if you see an issue, change your usage plan.

I do see the design has changed a little from the ones I own but the design is still certified and approved. There are 2 versions of the Rhino now, a 12000 and 16000 pound. The 16000 pound has a structured core to it where the 12000 does not. I have what I think is the 8000 pound version, and it has a core to it as well, I suspect it was the Blitz model with part number 11903. If you could find an older version it might be better as I know it is pretty robust.

Ratings on Amazon are 68% 5 stars for the 16000 pound Rhino, 73% for the 12000 version. There are several versions of the Race Ramp as well.

No matter what you use, using stands is a VERY good idea whenever under a vehicle!!
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:59 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I just noticed Home Depot has the Quick Jack Portable Vehicle Lifting System with a capacity of 5000 lbs. on sale for $1099.00 ($400.00 off). With savings like that it might be a good deal for someone with a grand burning a hole in their pocket.

Dave
DOOPHUS likes this.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:

You were questioning the length of the long ramps. Anyone that has lowered their SSR won't be able to get up on the short ones as the front body area will make contact with the ramp before the tire touches the ramp. Some guys use a 2x6 and drive up on that and then they can drive up on the short ramp. Just something to think about if you have lowered you SSR.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in