4Likes
  • 1 Post By yellow bear
  • 3 Post By Mike in AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Copacetic Kris
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6/6 Aqua Blurr BOD 2/2/05 Eric's Hood scoop, CO6 clutch,dyno, Lonnie 59 taillamps, MikeAZ exhaust
Garage
Radiator upgrade suggestions

Would like some input on a radiator upgrade. Already have Mike's aftermarket fans and would like to know what others have done. When I'm down in Atlanta traffic my R tends to run on the hot side and I'd like to find a way to keep it low. Putting in a bigger radiator seems to be the logical way to go.

"Life is tough. Life is tougher when your stupid"
John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:23 PM
RG

My SSR:
2005 SSR, Pearl White and Aqua Blur
This is what I did:

GM / AC Delco Heavy Duty SSR Radiator

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/...6&categoryId=3

I also put in a new condenser because it is attached and may break the connection.
And, it did.

I would also look at your Heater Hoses when you do this.

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/...4&categoryId=3

I'm in California with the same issues. Works great.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
How old are your Fans? Might check with Mike at Simple Engineering, he might have a less expensive fix than a new Radiator.

Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:48 PM

My SSR:
2004 UV B105918 Born on 2/23/04 Standard upgrades Jeremy tuned
Was having some issues with mine running hot flushed cooling system, replaced hoses, installed new air dam by radiator support,and Mikes fan then had my truck tuned to have fans come on quicker. No problems since believe the new fan and tune up did the most good although these trucks dorun hotter then other vehicles.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
Chris, when you say "fans", I'm assuming you have the pusher. In traffic, it may need to be "tweaked" to come on a bit sooner than where you have it set right now. It was designed to help in just this driving condition. There is very little air flow across the radiator core when in stop-and-go traffic, speeds less than the 35mph main fan setting, and most of all.... when running at low speed with a tail wind where the under hood temps climb and the thought is that the radiator is not doing its job, or the fans are at fault.
It May be time for one of Mikes coolant tune up kits. We have been running our trucks in Phoenix 110-115deg with stock rad. Shut off to shop and come out to restart and the temp is showing over 135 immediately. Butt Pucker ??? Sure !! just get moving and let the fans take over. We could All Use the Kit, as the cooling system has been neglected for what, 13-16 years Because it has Not been a problem until Now. Huh...?
I do Not think a Bigger radiator is the cure for you .
Take care, Bro...
BlueStreak likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:29 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
BlueBelle
That is what Mike told me when I was trying to get him to sell me a bigger radiator. He said that you would have to break the connection between the radiator and the AC condenser in order to install his larger radiator. He further said that unless I was running a high power engine or was towing something really heavy he would not recommend the change.

I was able to get him to make one of his higher power fans for me because I whined and sniveled so much!

He really is an honest guy, he will not sell you something that he doesn't think you need!!!

You might want to adjust your aux fan to a slightly lower temperature to see if that will help.

I have also replaced all my cooling hoses including the heater hoses, thermostat and belts and the overflow tank that I now can see the level of coolant.

FROM THE HOME OF THE MERMAIDS

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacetic Kris View Post
Would like some input on a radiator upgrade. Already have Mike's aftermarket fans and would like to know what others have done. When I'm down in Atlanta traffic my R tends to run on the hot side and I'd like to find a way to keep it low. Putting in a bigger radiator seems to be the logical way to go.
Hi Chris,

Long time since we last talked.... Hope you are well.

Check to see that the Aux Fan is still working. It should be making noise a lot of the time. For as long as you've had it, it would not surprise me if you had a failure. The little motor on the Aux Fan is not as robust as I would like. Also be sure that the main fan comes on when the A/C is running. That fan has been in place for over 10 years, I think.

If both fans are good, I would recommend that you install a "cooling system tune-up kit" from my web store. It's about $35, I think. It is a new pressure cap, new thermostat and a new seal to install the t-stat. I highly recommend this to everyone, since the new thermostat came out in 2008, long after our trucks were on the road. It's not a different temperature, but an engineering design change.

Let's make sure that everything is working properly before we throw a bigger radiator at it.

Regards,

Mike
BlueStreak, TXNSSR and nj6969 like this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in