17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Rear main seal leaking

Well it didn't just start,it's been leaking for awhile. My question is one seal kit better than the other? Should I have them replace the cover also.What about oil pan gasket? Lots of questions ,I know. I'm not doing the work. I do have a pretty good mechanic lined up for the job.I'm going to talk to him tomorrow to get a idea how much it's going to cost.Thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:24 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Dave. My 05 was leaking when I first bought it at 20k. It wasn't being driving much. The more I drove it the leaking slowed down and even stopped for a while. If I don't drive it for a month it drops a few drops. Than goes away after being driven. Drive it like you stole it.
Quest, Jersey red and sillypuddy like this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Yes it did slow down some when I drove it every day. Now with all the ice and salt on the roads I won't be driving it anywhere for awhile. I just want it to stop dripping. It leaks enough that it actually puts spots on the back of the truck going down the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
I think because it's a one piece seal the pan must come down so a new gasket would probably be a good move.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
The rear seal is sold as a kit pre installed in the cover and most dealers/shops will use that kit to save labor time.
The whole kit with cover seal and Gasket is about $80 - $100. Make sure you confirm they use a seal install alignment tool to center the cover and not eyeball it or you could end up with a leak all over again. I have seen these seals installed leak worse than the old ones because the cover was not perfectly centered on the crank. The dealer will do this but some independent shops may not so, need to confirm it.
Greg
sillypuddy likes this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:49 AM

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue #332 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I think because it's a one piece seal the pan must come down so a new gasket would probably be a good move.
Bruce, on the LS engine you can change out the rear seal without having to drop the oil pan. I have done several and have not dropped the oil pan on any of them. When we had the gen 1 and 2 small blocks up till 86, you had to drop the oil pan as the rear main oil seal was part of the rear main bearing cap.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:52 AM

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue #332 of 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbaehr View Post
The rear seal is sold as a kit pre installed in the cover and most dealers/shops will use that kit to save labor time.
The whole kit with cover seal and Gasket is about $80 - $100.Greg
Do go with the rear plate kit, as there have been several updates to the rear plate to stop oil leaks. I think GM is on the 5th or 6th revision of the rear plate now.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Thanks for the tips. I will be sure and ask.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:36 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverobertson View Post
Well it didn't just start,it's been leaking for awhile. My question is one seal kit better than the other? Should I have them replace the cover also.What about oil pan gasket? Lots of questions ,I know. I'm not doing the work. I do have a pretty good mechanic lined up for the job.I'm going to talk to him tomorrow to get a idea how much it's going to cost.Thanks guys.
Might want to talk to Dictator in Florida as he just had his done and they took his trans out and rebuilt that at the same time. He would know exactly what was needed and a ballpark on costs. Never hurts to have more information going in. The old school thought on the leak when I had a garage was oil is cheap so don't fix it and just top it off once in awhile because a lot of times it ends up leaking worse. 5 or 6 drops on the concrete looks like a lot but it is only 5 or 6 drops. Put a catch pan under it until you decide and go from there.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Auggie I have a piece of cardboard under it now. I know it's not a lot,but it ain't supposed to leak. I hate leaks.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet ... Corvette servo, hood struts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
Might want to talk to Dictator in Florida as he just had his done and they took his trans out and rebuilt that at the same time. He would know exactly what was needed and a ballpark on costs. Never hurts to have more information going in. The old school thought on the leak when I had a garage was oil is cheap so don't fix it and just top it off once in awhile because a lot of times it ends up leaking worse. 5 or 6 drops on the concrete looks like a lot but it is only 5 or 6 drops. Put a catch pan under it until you decide and go from there.
Yeah mine has that every spring, I drive it a bit, no more drops ... it’s my drive it incentive!!
Quest and Auggie Doggie like this.

Rob & Tracie
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:27 PM
SJA
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver with 126,000 mi. s#4B109910
Quote:
When I bought my 04 R with 126K in Oct. of 2018, I set out to deal with basic servicing of the vehicle. I thought I had an oil pan leak which I was going to have my mechanic replace the gasket the same day that he was going to service the transmission. As he dropped the transmission, he feared that this engine was prone to rear main seal leak and strongly suggested while they were there, that it would be a good idea to replace the rear main cover with seal, which I did. Upon replacement, they confirmed that the seal had been leaking. The rear main kit was $89. & the trans kit was $41. I also replaced the oil pan gasket. Now I'm onto other R issues.

"SJA"
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:28 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Had my 2004 done a few months ago, rear seal leak, normal for GM 5.3.

I have 136,000 on mine. And I put on the mileage except for first 9,000. Canada twice.

Changed seal to new/improved GM, (much better seal). while my transmission was out, had it rebuilt, that was good decision, clutches 75% warn.
Didn't want to pay to take out transmission twice.

New pan seal, found oil pickup was bad, had to replaced.

Had plugs and wires changed, didn't have too. Injectors were fine.

Had Jeremy do "retune" to make sure it was running right, very little change.

Runs like NEW, or at least how it ran 13yrs ago when I bought it.

Dicktator

Lot cheaper fix than my NEW Heart Valve!!

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Mine leaked from new. GM tech said rear main seal needed to be replaced. I decided to let it leak rather than have to pull the transmission and put cardboard underneath it in the garage. Decided to pretend it was my old Harley. Removing the entire center console to be able to remove the linkage and drop the transmission seemed too intrusive.

When I put in the C6 oil pan a couple years ago, magically the leak was completely gone. Possible you have a oil pan leak if the original GM factory tech didn't fully fully cover one of the four corner spots with sealant at the time. Easy replacement, but it would be disappointing if it didn't solve the problem. It would also be a good outcome if it solved the problem without needing a teardown.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Had rear seal leak corrected when transmission was replaced last month. SSR had been leaking since I bought it in Nov 2015, but it was only one drop at a time so I let it go this long. Dealership did the work and also replaced the oil pan gasket at same time. Cost was about $500, but would have been much more if tranny work had not been done since the bulk of the labor time went to the transmission remove-and-replace.
No more oil drips defacing my driveway pavers!
Autoprof and SSReplay like this.

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbush View Post
Had rear seal leak corrected when transmission was replaced last month. SSR had been leaking since I bought it in Nov 2015, but it was only one drop at a time so I let it go this long. Dealership did the work and also replaced the oil pan gasket at same time. Cost was about $500, but would have been much more if tranny work had not been done since the bulk of the labor time went to the transmission remove-and-replace.
No more oil drips defacing my driveway pavers!
The local Chevrolet dealership just quoted me $1635.00 out the door for the rear seal replacement work. I really don't see any large oil stains on the cardboard underneath the R, only a drop or two hanging off the bell housing so I'll probably hold off for while anyway.

Dave
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Two Tone Jet Black&Chrome Auto
'05 Oil Leak

My '05 also leaked from day it moved into my garage. Not a lot, but enough to be irritating (my '04 did not leak a drop). When I did the C6 pan conversion the leak magically disappeared. I made sure to put extra sealer at the 4 corners of the block.

Jack

It is not easy being a Hyper Old Person.

Jack Pruitt
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Well goes in next Monday. My mechanic quoted 8 hrs for the job. Seem about right to me. A lot to take off and put back on. Going to get oil changed and the front frame stiffener put on. $900 and I bought the rear main plate and seal. $61 for the kit.
Texasbaehr likes this.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:17 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Aqua, 6400 miles, 6 speed
Dave, where did you buy your kit from??
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Auto Zone.$61 +tax
Garys03SSR likes this.

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi Guy View Post
The local Chevrolet dealership just quoted me $1635.00 out the door for the rear seal replacement work. I really don't see any large oil stains on the cardboard underneath the R, only a drop or two hanging off the bell housing so I'll probably hold off for while anyway.

Dave
That's the same figure I was given when I had my SSR in the shop last summer for a TCM replacement! $1600 for the rear seal AND an additional $600 for the tranny pan gasket. YIKES! .... I deferred.

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:16 AM
SJA
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver with 126,000 mi. s#4B109910
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbush View Post
That's the same figure I was given when I had my SSR in the shop last summer for a TCM replacement! $1600 for the rear seal AND an additional $600 for the tranny pan gasket. YIKES! .... I deferred.
To much! You got to find a more reasonable shop. At my shop visit, I supplied the oil , pan gasket & coolant recovery tank. They supplied the rear main kit, trans. filter, gasket & coolant. My total bill was 929.16. " It's not what we make in gross dollars, it's what we keep in our pocket that counts"

"SJA"
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:56 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
To much! You got to find a more reasonable shop. At my shop visit, I supplied the oil , pan gasket & coolant recovery tank. They supplied the rear main kit, trans. filter, gasket & coolant. My total bill was 929.16. " It's not what we make in gross dollars, it's what we keep in our pocket that counts"

"SJA"
I previously had called an independent shop that did some work for me 4-5 years ago and he quoted me $1350.00 including dropping the oil pan and replacing the filter. I'm now having second thoughts about using him since I've been enlightened on here that there's no need to drop the oil pan.

Dave
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:14 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Mine was $2,964.00 Seal/Pan, transmission rebuild, driveshaft (New one I had), plugs/wires, oil pickup. Runs like new, no problems out the door.

I brought my heart/blood to surgery they suppled valve/expertise. Runs like new, no problems out the door.

I did not shop Doctor/Hospital for cheaper price, I wanted it right!

I know "It's how much you keep in your pocket".

Dicktator

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi Guy View Post
I previously had called an independent shop that did some work for me 4-5 years ago and he quoted me $1350.00 including dropping the oil pan and replacing the filter. I'm now having second thoughts about using him since I've been enlightened on here that there's no need to drop the oil pan.

Dave
I have seen some videos and they recommend dropping the pan so you can align the rear seal cover plate easier. If the pan is not dropped or at least loosened it can put the rear cover in a bind and cause the rear seal to leak. If I understand it right, the pan fits up to seal across the bottom of the rear seal cover and there are 2 bolts going up from the pan into the cover plate that holds the rear seal.
Guzzi Guy likes this.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:51 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 SILVER/P BLUE FPR,06 PACIFIC BLUE SSR
Rear main seal leak

When I bought one of my SSR's the rear main seal was leaking. It was not mentioned before the sale. Believe it or not, I bought a 8 oz can of BlueDevil REAR MAIN SEALER and, not sure how long (2 or 6 months) but the the drip stopped! It has not returned in 2 years. I drive this one 6 1/2 months a year. Cheap fix? It worked for me!
Guzzi Guy likes this.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:00 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlemire View Post
When I bought one of my SSR's the rear main seal was leaking. It was not mentioned before the sale. Believe it or not, I bought a 8 oz can of BlueDevil REAR MAIN SEALER and, not sure how long (2 or 6 months) but the the drip stopped! It has not returned in 2 years. I drive this one 6 1/2 months a year. Cheap fix? It worked for me!
Not familiar with that product. Looked it up on the internet and it appears to work on You Tube at least.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Well I tried it too. Slowed it down, but didn't stop it completely. Mines not leaking a lot, but I don't like my vehicles dripping in the garage or on someone's driveway.
Guzzi Guy likes this.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:45 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Well I tried it too. Slowed it down, but didn't stop it completely. Mines not leaking a lot, but I don't like my vehicles dripping in the garage or on someone's driveway.

It seems that these products can sometimes produce a "temporary" fix and for others maybe a longer fix. But, long term........not so much.

https://axleadvisor.com/best-engine-oil-stop-leak/
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:13 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

It seems that these products can sometimes produce a "temporary" fix and for others maybe a longer fix. But, long term........not so much.

https://axleadvisor.com/best-engine-oil-stop-leak/
I used Blue Devil for a while, helped but finally bit the bullet and had seal replaced.

Dicktator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in