1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Removed 8 Roof Cylinders/Pictures

As you all know, I found a leaky roof cylinder while attending the Gibbs Palm Coast Show.

YOU CAN NOT BUY NEW ONES, don't exist, or at least we haven't found any.

Decided to follow Top Hydraulics Inc. advice and removed ALL eight cylinders yesterday.

Klaus, President of Top Hydraulics has posted and Gary Medcalf confirmed, repair just one and others fail immediately.

Gary had two roof lift cylinders repaired under warranty, had to fight to get both cylinders done at the same time. Right after they were installed, a roof cover lift cylinder failed.

Dealer has removed the two roof cover cylinders and they are on there way to Top Hydraulics.

Six of the eight cylinders are fairly simple straight forward removal but the two Roof "LIFT" cylinders are difficult. Because of location of course.

My Cylinders will be on the way today to:

Top Hydraulics, Inc.
90730 Southview Lane
Florence, OR
Zip 97439
(541) 902 3214

Klaus at Top Hydraulics sent me some instructions which really helped.

Some of the minor problems with removal that we ran into are related to the SSR. And not being small enough to get into the roof compartment.

The Roof was assembled outside the SSR, lifted as a unit and bolted to the frame. Lot easier than reachinnnnng way down in the roof compartment to "unclip" a pin.

With the help of Ed Borland, ED in Fl who directed the removal, plus Alex and Jim Greeley it went really well. ED in Fl is our Roof Guy!!

I took 127 pictures! YES! There will be Power Point and on SSR Site for FREE download for ALL SSR Fanatics.

Top Hydraulic has offered to cretic my Power Point and add expert information and I accepted.

You can call Top Hydraulics if you want: (541) 902 3214

Or better yet, visit their Web Site:

Rebuild/Upgrade Service for Chevy SSR Convertible Hydraulic Components - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Dicktator

1. Latching cylinder
2. Way down inside
3. Jim Greeley reaching
4. Way down inside
5. Jim Greeley our inside man
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4903.JPG
Views:	1513
Size:	627.5 KB
ID:	176370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4991.JPG
Views:	1256
Size:	608.0 KB
ID:	176378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4985.JPG
Views:	1206
Size:	579.7 KB
ID:	176386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5015.JPG
Views:	1210
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	176394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5002.JPG
Views:	1229
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	176402  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Two Tone Owner

My SSR:
03 Slingshot, #2119, born 11/26/03, died 12/31/18. Replaced 2/21/2019 with 2004 custom red & white
Garage
Way to go Dick, keep us all informed.

Walter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Here are few more.

1. Bungy cord hold roof cover open
2. All eight Hydraulic Roof Cylinders
3. Latching cylinder and linkage
4. Roof cover cylinder
5. Cylinder with "Hall" switch wiring
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5037.JPG
Views:	845
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	176410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5048.JPG
Views:	939
Size:	717.8 KB
ID:	176418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4915.JPG
Views:	840
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	176426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5019.JPG
Views:	1002
Size:	581.6 KB
ID:	176434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5026.JPG
Views:	822
Size:	759.9 KB
ID:	176442  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Creating a detailed cylinder removal DIY

Way to go, Dick!

I appreciate how you guys help each other out, and how you got the job done quickly with the help from some friends. The best part yet is the SSR community getting some real life cylinder removal and installation DIYs out of this. Shop instructions can be somewhat unpredictable in accuracy and detail. For the regular R owner worrying whether he can do the job himself or not, the most important part is knowing that these instructions show every detail (which I know your instructions will). Knowing that everything is covered in a lot of detail takes the worry out of DIY - you can actually enjoy doing the job!

That makes DIY cylinder removal a huge money saver for anyone who is willing to put some effort into it and just keep going until the job is finished. Outside of saving money, you will be re-installing parts that are better than brand new ones, and you can feel great about your own accomplishment.

Looking forward to upgrading your cylinders, Dick, and seeing your PowerPoint DIY instructions. My regards to Alex, Jim, and Ed for helping you out.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Upgrading SSR folding top cylinders, pumps & hydraulic lines

Folding top hydraulic cylinder p/n's:

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Carolina Fanatic

My SSR:
2003 Asphalt all stock
Thank you Dictator and Klaus for this valuable information. My binder is getting full of this helpful information.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 AM
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!

My SSR:
Bought UV new 2005, Sold "PurLple" 2017. The fanatics filled our lives with love and laughter
it looks very intimidating . Taking them out is one thing but putting them back correctly is scary. Dick, you have assembled a winning team by the looks of things.

A question to Top Hyd - Klaus, I see you are in OR. Do you just mail out the replacements or do you also work on the trucks if an owner doesn't want to DIY?

SANDY
custom made SSR leather goodies; for your SSR and you!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Supporting Vendor

Between comfortable fit and tight squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
5. Jim Greeley our inside man
The picture of Jim "the inside man" in the folding top stowage compartment gives us a good idea about what kinda guy fits in there... :-)

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnheadz View Post
it looks very intimidating . Taking them out is one thing but putting them back correctly is scary. Dick, you have assembled a winning team by the looks of things.

A question to Top Hyd - Klaus, I see you are in OR. Do you just mail out the replacements or do you also work on the trucks if an owner doesn't want to DIY?
Don't let it intimidate you - a detailed DIY, a friend helping you with the roof panels, and some time should be all you need.

Normally, it is easier to put the parts back in than to take them out. The cylinders come back clearly labeled and with instructions on how to re-attach the hydraulic lines.

Look at it this way: it's not rocket science, and an experience that will make you feel really good about your accomplishment in the end! You will probably also loose all fear about how complex the roof is once you see it all in person - suddenly all these posts about roof problems will make sense and you will be a semi-expert yourself.

Our business does not work on cars. I could refer you to a good mechanic South of Seattle if you don't want to get your hands oily.

All we do here is rebuilding hydraulic cylinders and pumps, and manufacturing hydraulic lines. It's a specialty that works well for us, since we do this for some 30 automotive brands now. That's how we can keep our prices very reasonable. Our operation is basically a specialized, "well lubed machine" with lots of know-how and an awesome staff.

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:13 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 FPR Smokin Asphalt/Rocochet Silver Vin # 1GCES14H86B123533
Garage
Thanks to both of you.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Supporting Vendor

pump Chevy p/n 15126283

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgssr View Post
Thanks to both of you.
Jgssr, you actually had the folding top hydraulic pump going bad on your R a few months ago, and you briefly reported to the forum. The interesting part about your case was that the dealer was trying to replace the pump p/n 15126283 under your extended warranty, and had a hard time getting it from Chevy any more. They first installed one that didn't work either (burnt out motor - probably a previous warranty return), and finally came up with what they claimed was the last one in Chevy's stock. You were kind enough to sell your pump core to Top Hydraulics, we have rebuilt it, and added it to our core exchange inventory. :-)

The pump is in the middle, on the bottom of the stowage compartment. The reason I'm bringing this up is, I talked to Dick about the best way to remove the pump, while he was working on the cylinders already. Dick has actually had a pump problem already, and in his case it was only a bad relay. Dick said that access to the pump was relatively easy when removing the seat.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
We did some research before we started. It was a matter or just rolling up your sleeves and start.

The Service Manual was helpful but not accurate in some cases.

Like it says, "Remove the Roof"! We didn't do that!

Tony Gloffer2 had a good suggestion but we had started and couldn't use his suggestion. Remove the Waterfall, might make it easier to reach in and have more light.

I also discovered today when I took my R out, that after you remove the latch cylinders, your DIC shows "Roof Ajar" along with a "Ding Ding" every few minutes.

I used Tony's other suggestion, "Turn up the Radio".

We had also pulled the fuses/relays for the roof module, located behind passengers seat. Pulled the two UP/DOWN relays located top left. Remove fuse for RDM.

With the roof UP/DOWN relays removed your windows won't go up or down.

I replaced them and all is good, still get "Ding Ding", "Roof Ajar".

As we put my R back together we will do more documentation.

Top Hydraulics turn around is so good I am not going to bother removing door panel and disconnecting small speaker on drivers side to eliminate the Ding Ding.

I wanted to have Power Point done for the Laughlin Rally but just not enough time.

I will have some pictures and will touch on roof cylinder removal.

Dicktator

1. Hall sensor. This sensor is to monitor the movement of the roof. It communicates with RDM.
2. Hyd hose going into cylinder, Note. clip on cylinder holds hyd hose in place.
3. Good shot of cylinder with "Hall" sensors and hyd hose in place.
4. Hyd. cylinders on cover
5. Removing steel clip that holds hyd hose in place. Notice the two black Hall Sensors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4935.JPG
Views:	746
Size:	475.5 KB
ID:	176514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4944.JPG
Views:	895
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	176522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5028.JPG
Views:	673
Size:	594.4 KB
ID:	176530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4894.JPG
Views:	1070
Size:	561.7 KB
ID:	176538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5029.JPG
Views:	682
Size:	550.2 KB
ID:	176546  

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
The Service Manual was helpful but not accurate in some cases.

Like it says, "Remove the Roof"! We didn't do that!
That's excellent news - the service manual prompts you to remove the roof panels from the roof frame for access to the two (main lift) roof cylinders. I look forward to learning how you got around removing the roof panel and saved a lot of work that way!

Klaus

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
I also discovered today when I took my R out, that after you remove the latch cylinders, your DIC shows "Roof Ajar" along with a "Ding Ding" every few minutes.
In all convertibles that I am familiar with, the "Ding Ding" chime signals that a roof latch and/or stowage cover lock is not fully latched with the top up, or that the stowage cover lock is not latched with the top down. Normally, Hall effect sensors are not related to that chime, and it is down to the micro switches on the latches. Just checking: did you reinstall both latches (without cylinders) and plug in their wiring harnesses again (if applicable)?

Klaus

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
We are not going to get to technical on this thread, at this time.

The Power Point Presentation and the Tech Seminars will be a lot more technical.

Thanks for the input.

Dicktator

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Trinity, Florida (Winter), Caledonia, Michigan (Summer)

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue W/Chrome Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophydraulicsinc.com View Post
In all convertibles that I am familiar with, the "Ding Ding" chime signals that a roof latch and/or stowage cover lock is not fully latched with the top up, or that the stowage cover lock is not latched with the top down. Normally, Hall effect sensors are not related to that chime, and it is down to the micro switches on the latches. Just checking: did you reinstall both latches (without cylinders) and plug in their wiring harnesses again (if applicable)?

Klaus

I tested the Hall Effect Sensors (HES) on the SSR Tonneau latch(s).
(tested by removing the magnet and closing the Tonneau)
The Tonneau Latch Hall Effect Sensors will give a "Roof Ajar" signal in the DIC and the dreaded "Ding - Ding", if they malfunction.

The Service Manual & Owners manual say the "Roof Ajar" occurs when the top is not fully open or not fully closed AND the Cargo Bay cover is open - I tested the system and found the Cargo Bay cover has nothing to do with the "Roof Ajar" DIC.
The Cargo Bay cover being open (released) will stop the top from operating.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:58 AM

My SSR:
Ricochet Silver 2004
Garage
Send a message via MSN to SSRich
You guys are excellents.

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
You guys are awesome

This is going to be a key "how to" for going forward with our trucks. As they age, the top hydraulics will need to be monitored and repaired at an increasing rate. Having the reassurance of a great vendor and a clear procedure is priceless.

Thanks for doing this.

I gotta ask..... How did you convince him to squeeze into the compartment? This is equally amazing.

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 06:38 AM
Original SSR Centerfold

My SSR:
04 Redline red #11672 born on 6-22-04 adopted 10-14-04 Pinstriping handpainted by "Shakey"
I had some warranty work done on my roof several years ago. The mechanic that worked on it actually got inside the compartment, sat down and worked on the problem. He was completely inside!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Trinity, Florida (Winter), Caledonia, Michigan (Summer)

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue W/Chrome Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
This is going to be a key "how to" for going forward with our trucks. As they age, the top hydraulics will need to be monitored and repaired at an increasing rate. Having the reassurance of a great vendor and a clear procedure is priceless.

Thanks for doing this.

I gotta ask..... How did you convince him to squeeze into the compartment? This is equally amazing.

Mike
Jim stood in the compartment and bent down to reach the work. This saved us a lot of time in removing the roof raise/lower cylinders.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED in FL View Post
Jim stood in the comprtment and bent down to reach the work. This saved us a lot of time in removing the roof raise/lower cylinders.
We bribed him with Canadian BEER!!

Dicktator
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140304_110512.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	176602  

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 10:23 AM
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!

My SSR:
Bought UV new 2005, Sold "PurLple" 2017. The fanatics filled our lives with love and laughter
Quote:
We bribed him with Canadian BEER!!

Dicktator
makes sense to me.

SANDY
custom made SSR leather goodies; for your SSR and you!
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
03 Smokin' Asphalt #1712 / 04 Ultra Violet # 13688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post

Thanks for doing this.

Mike

You guy's are good!

Thanks for everything that you all do!

Krazy Ed

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 11:36 AM

My SSR:
05 SSR 6 speed Aqua Blur 70 Olds 442 conv 70 Olds 442 Pace Car 71 vette BB conv 99 Baja 232 w/454
What type of fluid does the pump require? Where do I pour it in? it appears that I have a leak. Rear cover will not come up. If I lift it up by hand, it will go back down with the button. Dictator you are a Rockstar!
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by club442 View Post
What type of fluid does the pump require? Where do I pour it in? it appears that I have a leak. Rear cover will not come up. If I lift it up by hand, it will go back down with the button. Dictator you are a Rockstar!
You can get it from Chevy for about a Bazillion dollars, but I've heard SAAB has the same thing pretty cheap. You do need the right stuff however.

Here ya go, everything you need to know.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
As Bruce said "You can pay a zillion dollars" or go to Advance Auto and buy more than twice as much for half the price.

CHF-11S is the oil used by GM.

Go to How to Library, here is link: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3ef39...5ADCE5E5%21853

Dicktator
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2664.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	504.0 KB
ID:	272634  

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:57 PM

My SSR:
2004 Black, Bought new, 20K miles
Sensors

I had all my cylinders rebuilt and have reinstalled them, but I must have got one of the sensors installed wrong, does anybody have a diagram showing the sensor position on each cylinder.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Silver SSR
I have a 2005 SSR, and the roof won't move. I discovered that the two main lift cylinders are leaking. I would like to get the powerpoint showing how to remove them and send the to Top Hydraulics.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 FPR Blown, lowered, smokin/ricochet
WOW!!
This is obviously something will all need to do, sooner or later.
But this looks like way.. way too much for me.
I went to change my ignition switch out, and did not get so far as removing the knob on the tilt wheel. I was afraid of pulling to hard and breaking something..
Is there someone here in Fort Myers/ Cape Coral, that we could get together and work on these things? Driving to Clearwater seems quite a distance. But if that is what I gotta do, then so be it.
Dicktator, can you CLONE another Dicktator? or better yet two??

Thanks, Charles
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Charles, with a million SSRs in Florida, there must be a few owners that aren't beat up old guys, and could give you physical/moral support. You may have to use some bait, like beer or Capt Morgan.
Guzzi Guy likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
WOW!!
This is obviously something will all need to do, sooner or later.
But this looks like way.. way too much for me.
I went to change my ignition switch out, and did not get so far as removing the knob on the tilt wheel. I was afraid of pulling to hard and breaking something..
Is there someone here in Fort Myers/ Cape Coral, that we could get together and work on these things? Driving to Clearwater seems quite a distance. But if that is what I gotta do, then so be it.
Dicktator, can you CLONE another Dicktator? or better yet two??

Thanks, Charles
Should have come to Tech Day in Oakland Park. We removed roof cylinders and installed Pneumatic cylinders and you now have a trained Shop that can do the whole job.

Remove, send out for rebuild and install, all done. Good for another ten years.

"Lashway Motor Sports"
2910 NW 17th Terrace
Oakland Park, Florida 33311
954-971-4383

Erik, owner has two more SSR scheduled for roof cylinder removal and install.

Dicktator

1. Dicktator instructing.
2. In the "tank".
3. Another Roof
4. Banner
5. Erik/Kayla Owner Lashway Motor Sports.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6202.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	375826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6211.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	375834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6207.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	375842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6201.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	375850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6182.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	375858  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in