• 2 Post By ssr71
  • 1 Post By ssr71
  • 1 Post By Auggie Doggie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Rodent repellant suggestions

My trucks are not garage queens they sit in the driveway. We have had a lot of nasty weather forecasted here lately and threats of hail. I have been covering both trucks with moving blankets then one of the factory black factory covers and then a outdoor weather cover over the top of that. Well the other day I had pulled the covers off and put them in the bed so I could do some running. No bad weather for a couple of days so it stayed uncovered. The next day the fore cast was again threats of hail. I pulled out the blankets and tossed them on first layer, then I rolled out the black cover and found something has eaten holes in it in several places. I couldn't do anything about it at that moment because there were storms on the horizon. I rolled it out and then put the all weather cover on top of it. That evening it rained pretty good but no hail. Late that evening I was thinking what ever had chewed the holes in the cover had to be in the bed when it happened and I have a carpeted bed liner. I went out and lifter the bed cover and no signs of any damage to the carpet anywhere. I do have a fabric bag that holds a jack and the trailer hitch and it has rodent chew marks as well. So the big question is has anyone had any issues or ideas what will keep the critters away? My first thought was moth balls but a Google search says that doesn't work so good. I got some stuff from Home Depot today that is a little bag with Mint in it that is supposed to keep mice away. I don't want to trap and kill them because usually they will urinate when they get trapped and that smell is a tough one to get out as well. So any thoughts or known things that have worked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:20 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhotrod View Post
My trucks are not garage queens they sit in the driveway. We have had a lot of nasty weather forecasted here lately and threats of hail. I have been covering both trucks with moving blankets then one of the factory black factory covers and then a outdoor weather cover over the top of that. Well the other day I had pulled the covers off and put them in the bed so I could do some running. No bad weather for a couple of days so it stayed uncovered. The next day the fore cast was again threats of hail. I pulled out the blankets and tossed them on first layer, then I rolled out the black cover and found something has eaten holes in it in several places. I couldn't do anything about it at that moment because there were storms on the horizon. I rolled it out and then put the all weather cover on top of it. That evening it rained pretty good but no hail. Late that evening I was thinking what ever had chewed the holes in the cover had to be in the bed when it happened and I have a carpeted bed liner. I went out and lifter the bed cover and no signs of any damage to the carpet anywhere. I do have a fabric bag that holds a jack and the trailer hitch and it has rodent chew marks as well. So ehe big question is has anyone had any issues or ideas what will keep the critters away? My first thought was moth balls but a Google search says that doesn't work so good. I got some stuff from Home Depot today that is a little bag with Mint in it that is supposed to keep mice away. I don't want to trap and kill them because usually they will urinate when they get trapped and that smell is a tough one to get out as well. So any thoughts or known things that have worked?
What a pain! I knew one guy that used to put mouse traps on the tops of his tires in his garage. The critters have to get up there and tires are usually the path of least resistance. The delightful smell of a treat - a little bit of peanut butter or a tiny slice of a Snickers bar in the tray - will usually lure them to the top and be the first and hopefully last thing they'll encounter on the way up.

"Snap-E Mouse Trap-6 Pack" is about $12 from Amazon. They're pretty effective and a lot easier to set than the cheap wood type. You can reload them or toss them when they've done their work.

Cheers,

Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:41 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
When i joined back in 2006 there were a number of threads with discussions of rodent protection during winter storage. You might try searching for some of those. I did not pay attentios since I do not store my trucks, I drive them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:55 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 1SB/6spd Redline Red
Bounce dryer sheets - or another perfumed brand (not the unscented). At least that's what others have reported working.
Flying Dog likes this.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:38 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Born on 12/23/04, adopted 07/06/16, From KY to CA. Once a farm truck, Now a SoCal cruiser.
Garage
Irish spring soap bars seem to work.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Big Ole Bummer, Stlhotrod . . .

Have you considered a Rattlesnake or two?

They make great pets and LOVE to eat those critters. It's a "Win-Win" for all involved . . . except for the critters.

! ! ! ! ! !
mtr317 likes this.

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOPHUS View Post
Big Ole Bummer, Stlhotrod . . .

Have you considered a Rattlesnake or two?

They make great pets and LOVE to eat those critters. It's a "Win-Win" for all involved . . . except for the critters.

! ! ! ! ! !
Have not tried the rattle snakes but have several black snakes around and leave them alone. I have always heard if you have the black snakes you won't have the poisonous ones around so I will stick with them. Did have the daughter get bit by a rat snake when she was little. The rat snake looks very much like the copper head and will bite but no venom. I am in a little bit of a rural area, a lot of wild life on my property. Plus with the flooding of the Mississippi and backing up into the Meramec river we have even more of the wildlife stirred up. Friday I had 2 small fawns in the back yard running around playing.
DOOPHUS and SWT RYD like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Perfectionist
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 REDLINE, lowered frnt an rear, tucked an lowered boards by me, chrome package, chrom wheels
Cats!
SWT RYD likes this.

You come in, in diapers. And you go out in diapers.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
try some of the solar powered vibrating pegs. we have had success keeping burrowing varmits away for about 7 years, so far. maybe put 2 or 3 on each side of the area. also, you can spray Cheap Vanilla Extract, from the Dollar Store and such and mix 50/50% with water and spray the tires and all UP direction to keep the critters from jumping up onto the frame and such. you'll have to clean the stuff off when it's time to use (whatever) item it may be. works on hardware as well as bushes. spray as many times as is necessary. if they're Chewing stuff up, try DeCon Bait products. if they eat it, it'll mummify them so that they down't Stink when they're dead... Be Sure to Take Away Any WATER source when using this as, that's the thing that Kills them. Kinda like Ant Bait does. you can even get those vibrator things at Harbor Freight & Junk if the local Home Despot or Louse doesn't have them in stock. if they're already chewing wiring and such.... you "Need More Deadly" stuff...

Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:23 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow, 2005 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
i use the bounce dryer sheets as well as the old time wood mice traps. need to get bounce smell out and use leather seat cleaner from Mothers.

2004 SSR, slingshot yellow, automatic, 113K miles, 2005 smoking asphalt, automatic, 16k miles, lots of SE parts incl tire kit, heat shield, rear frame stiffener,
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:33 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 ultra violet
Moth Balls?
yellow bear likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
Moth Balls?
can you really get them without breaking their little legs?
Chicos80 and richsadams like this.

Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:52 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

Location: Savannah, Georgia (by way of Orange County, California)

My SSR:
2005 LS-2 Supercharged Black Asphalt - upgrade trans, stereo system, exhaust, suspension, paint, +
Lock the cats in the garage with the truck...cat will be happy, you will be happy and who knows, perhaps the mice will be happy, whose to say
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:29 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
Moth Balls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow bear View Post
can you really get them without breaking their little legs?
Aren't they a bit small? You'd need an awful lot of them.
BlueStreak and Chicos80 like this.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:38 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDJ View Post
Lock the cats in the garage with the truck...cat will be happy, you will be happy and who knows, perhaps the mice will be happy, whose to say
I was real close to locking this cat up in my garage.... don't think it would have done anything to stop mice though.

But.... cats could actually cause as much damage as the mice. For one, you don't want claw marks in your paint!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	used-1969-mercury-cougar-xr7-8031-17827685-4-1024.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	549753  
richsadams likes this.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:54 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
One thing is get right on it because if you have two mice in several days you can have hundreds. They have litters every 28 days and even breed with the new born. They east wires also. Good luck.
richsadams likes this.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:18 PM

My SSR:
2006 red
Buy a couple cheap plastic drain pans. Put them in the bed and set the traps inside them. No mess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:07 PM

My SSR:
2003, red, daily driver, 100,000+ miles. SOLD to Kenman! "Replaced" with a 2001 Chrysler Prowler.
I went the trap route and got tired of messing with them. I then bought the maze type bait/poison. Haven’t had a problem since and the traps stay clean.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:40 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Chrome in and out, OH SO Orange stripes w/"warp speed" air brushed door accents.
I've had issues with mice damaging the wiring on some of my vehicles and it turns out that the attraction is that some wire insulation materials are made with soybeans!

I've had the best luck with the cheap, little black plastic "snap" traps using peanut butter or cheese but I also use the glue traps (never caught a mouse yet with these).

I've even purchase the little electronic light/sonic devices and I use peppermint and moth balls, especially in the late fall and early winter as this is when the critters start looking for heated spaces.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet ... Corvette servo, hood struts
I use the strongest smelling dryer sheets and the plug in rodent repellent ..... havenít had any in the garage, used to store the race car outside all winter with loads of sheets .... found pee and poop on one dryer sheet and thatís all, been using the sheets in the Motorhome for years ... works pretty good there too, I use a whole large box in there!!!
We have cats too, but they donít go in the garage ... perhaps their smell is enough to drive the mice away!!

Rob & Tracie
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:50 AM
HobbyBob

My SSR:
2005 slingshot,pinstriped/flame detail,OBX Long Headers,Mike's front plate, core supp, fan BORN9/14
Aour trucks come with cats. Just keep them hot and then no roadents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in