Roof cylinders - Chevy SSR Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike in AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Roof cylinders

I'm getting a little squeak from a couple roof cylinders shafts when the top is going down.. They sound and feel dry..
I was wondering if it would hurt the seals to sprayed the shafts with some thing like silicone spray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodman View Post
I'm getting a little squeak from a couple roof cylinders shafts when the top is going down.. They sound and feel dry..
I was wondering if it would hurt the seals to sprayed the shafts with some thing like silicone spray
The squeak you are getting is NOT from the hydraulic roof actuators. I would never suggest spraying anything on the shafts of the hydraulic actuators.

The noise is coming from the pneumatic roof struts. This is a common issue..... Yes, you can temporarily quiet them down by putting a little silicone on the shaft of the pneumatic struts, but you really need to replace them. Failing pneumatic struts put your hydraulic actuators at higher risk of failure.

My two cents.......

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
You are right Mike!

Check out my SSR How to Library, FREE!

Pneumatic Cylinders are there and roof is moving on Hinges!. Try lubricating the hinges.

Link:https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

When I open the top part way, it have a nice balance until the top begins to lower, the top still comes down smoothly and does not drop the last few inches as I've read.. I'll try a little silicone on the hinges and pneumatic cylinder shafts only and keep an eye out for leaks..
Thanks for your input
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodman View Post
When I open the top part way, it have a nice balance until the top begins to lower, the top still comes down smoothly and does not drop the last few inches as I've read.. I'll try a little silicone on the hinges and pneumatic cylinder shafts only and keep an eye out for leaks..
Thanks for your input
Before you put any lube on the hinges, put a little silicone on a paper towel and wipe the shaft of the pneumatic struts. That should silence them for a while. You can also do this to noisy hood struts to verify that they need replacing......

Mike
LarryG and Foodman like this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in